Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteManic

Anyone else not terribly excited about Lukaku?

I think my problem is that with every big signing I seem to rate it by asking, "Would Fergie have signed him?"

I think he's just a big lump. Can you see him forcing one in in the 92nd minute? I don't.

He scored 25 league goals last year. Would love to see against who against.

His stats:
0.46 goals per game
45% on target
60 big chances missed

Last season
0.5 goals per game
50% on target
8 big chances missed

£75m for the sake of buying someone, or indeed so someone else doesn't sign him.

Incredibly uninspiring.

IrishRedDevil

All other PL fans are getting itchy :lol: These are the times that it feels great to be a United fan. Not only have we stamped over Chelsea in this deal, but now fans from Spurs and Liverpool are circling trying to inflate transfer fees and state they are happy we signed Lukaku (proven PL goal scorer) instead of Morata (£90m bench warmer).

United had an average enough season last year, however still won a few trophies and here we are signing a top PL player ahead of the current Champions.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I think my problem is that with every big signing I seem to rate it by asking, "Would Fergie have signed him?"

I think he's just a big lump. Can you see him forcing one in in the 92nd minute? I don't.

His stats:
0.46 goals per game
45% on target
60 big chances missed

Last season
0.5 goals per game
50% on target
8 big chances missed

£75m for the sake of buying someone, or indeed so someone else doesn't sign him.

Incredibly uninspiring.
Fergie often signed strikers from other Premier League clubs and he probably would sign Lukaku or Kane

Robbie Boy

His stats:
0.46 goals per game
45% on target
60 big chances missed

Last season
0.5 goals per game
50% on target
8 big chances missed

Incredibly uninspiring.
Yeah he's shite http://www.football365.com/news/romelu-lukaku-the-ridiculous-statistics-updated

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes, and it's quite clear that the deal is £75m initially, plus £15m in potential add-ons.
Who cares about the fee, though? If Ed thinks Lukaku is worth £75m + add-ons then so be it. It's a mere drop in the ocean for the richest club on the planet. Besides, the cost of this transfer will likely be recouped inside a year.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
All other PL fans are getting itchy :lol: These are the times that it feels great to be a United fan. Not only have we stamped over Chelsea in this deal, but now fans from Spurs and Liverpool are circling trying to inflate transfer fees and state they are happy we signed Lukaku (proven PL goal scorer) instead of Morata.

United had an average enough season last year, however still won a few trophies and here we are signing a top PL player ahead of the current Champions.
No - we're citing the deal reported by the BBC, which is £75m + an additional potential £15m. The question you should be asking is why so many United fans are trying to deny these figures.

Wan

Well clearly not because Everton want him back and are willing to pay his wages. All I'm saying is we could do better with negotiating the fee. It's this 'yeah you can have our players for free but we'll pay you £75 million for yours' that I disagree with. Sure, £25 million may be a high but you start high and negotiate downwards when selling. You don't ask, you don't get. And that's what Everton and Real Madrid have done, ask. £75 million is a ripoff for Morata and Lukaku but hey, there'll always be one mug club who pays it.

Not just Rooney but look at some of our terrible sales over the last few seasons:

Nani - £5 million
RvP - £5 million
Chicharito - £7 million
Michael Keane - £2 million
Memphis - £13 million
Schneiderlin - £19 million
Zaha - £ 3 million

Those are 1996 transfer fees.
It's kind enough they wanted him in the first place where even the rich china clubs steered clear from him. 300k per week. 15m per year. You want us to be stuck with him for another 2 seasons and take up a valuable squad place? Just so we could bag a few more millions. Ridiculous. The wages saved alone is good enough for us.

We were mugs for breaking the bank for the likes of Keane, Stam, Rio, CR(teenager), Rooney and the list goes on. Then so be it. I rather we get the player than have to settle for 2nd rate players just because someone doesn't think they're worth it.

For the record I think Pogba and Lukaku is over price. In normal world they would probably go between 40-60m, but it's not a normal world. Southampton are asking for 60m for a CB. The clubs are richer than ever with revenues from TV and shirt deals. Keane was a British record at 3.75m pounds in those days. I'm sure there are stats somewhere showing the revenues of clubs vs big signings of the time the percentage is not far off.

As for our outgoing records, no doubt we are shit at them for years. But most of those had to do with the players struggling with us on big money. The only way we can sell them is sell far lower than their true price. As for Michael Keane(and our other youth we had to sell), generally we operate on whats best for the player. Not asking much so they can get to a good club for them. But I thought the prices we got from Schneiderlin and Depay was good.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
All other PL fans are getting itchy :lol: These are the times that it feels great to be a United fan. Not only have we stamped over Chelsea in this deal, but now fans from Spurs and Liverpool are circling trying to inflate transfer fees and state they are happy we signed Lukaku (proven PL goal scorer) instead of Morata (£90m bench warmer).

I'm a Spurs fan and I will be honest I'm glad he signed for you than Chelsea.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

His stats:
0.46 goals per game
45% on target
60 big chances missed

Last season
0.5 goals per game
50% on target
8 big chances missed

Incredibly uninspiring.
As a few people in this thread have said, he isn't at all dissimilar to many Fergie signings.

As for him being a big lump, if you actually look at the goals he's scored for Everton you'll notice they tend to come from pace, movement and taking up the right positions rather than physical strength.

In fact there are likely to be times we wonder why he doesn't impose himself more on defenders given his size.

The Bloody-Nine

His stats:
0.46 goals per game
45% on target
60 big chances missed

Last season
0.5 goals per game
50% on target
8 big chances missed

Incredibly uninspiring.
Yeah, we bought him for the sake of buying someone. Not because we are in desperate need of a goal scorer and guess what. He scores goals. Jesus.

Premier League goals since 2012/13:
Sergio Aguero – 99 (147)
Romelu Lukaku – 85 (176)
Harry Kane – 78 (105)
Olivier Giroud – 69 (126)
Christian Benteke – 66 (154)
Luis Suarez – 54 (66)
Wayne Rooney – 54 (142)
Alexis Sanchez – 53 (103)
Diego Costa – 52 (89)

Club goals before age of 23:
Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
Romelu Lukaku – 119
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

If you'd like to read more (and I suggest you do):

http://www.football365.com/news/romelu-lukaku-the-ridiculous-statistics-updated

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
He's not a world class striker but not far off. I think he is a very good signing for you as long as you don't hoof the ball up to him. He is much more than that, he can be devastating on counter attacks.

Will be interested to see what style of football you will play next season and how you will fit Martial/Rashford/Henrikh into the team with Lukaku

Fracture90

No - we're citing the deal reported by the BBC, which is £75m + an additional potential £15m. The question you should be asking is why so many United fans are trying to deny these figures.
Question is why are you taking those unconfirmed figures to be the the final and definitive ones?

Natener

I'm not sure why there is so much interest from a Spurs fan on a Man Utd transfer involving an Everton player and Chelsea, its embarrassing.
I think it's important because it means Tottenham wins the Club with gazillion £ price tag striker Trophy. Congrats Glaston, on winning something.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Yeah, we bought

Yeah, we bought him for the sake of buying someone. Not because we are in desperate need of a goal scorer and guess what. He scores goals. Jesus.

Sergio Aguero – 99 (147)
Romelu Lukaku – 85 (176)
Harry Kane – 78 (105)
Luis Suarez – 54 (66)
Wayne Rooney – 54 (142)
Diego Costa – 52 (89)

Club goals before age of 23:
Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
Romelu Lukaku – 119
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

If you'd like to read more (and I suggest you do):

http://www.football365.com/news/romelu-lukaku-the-ridiculous-statistics-updated
If you take out pens he is probably top of the PL since 2012-3 list.

Edit-Augero is still ahead by only just.

Augero 84
Lukaku 79.

AngliaRed

People are being abit harsh on him.

I think its quite simple really.

He scored 25 goals with the likes of Barkley, Coleman, Schneiderlan and Baines feeding him. Imagine his return withe Pogba, Mata, Herrera, Miki creating chances for him.

Even 15 of his goals last season would of put us into the top 4. Ok maybe thats too easy to say but still I think he will fine here.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The good thing about Lukaku is how much he improved last season. That game against Bournemouth shows the player he is now. A really top centre forward. Still, he is not the finished article as proven with his performance against us at OT. But at least we are buying players for the future now.

M4YON

Until the fee is confirmed by either Everton or Manchester United I'd hang fire because we paid over £100 million for pogba last year in very news paper going until it was officially announced that figure was £89 million.

They're denying it because it's a crazy fee to be paying but this transfer market has been crazy full stop for prices so its not that big of deal in the grand scheme.

No - we're citing the deal reported by the BBC, which is £75m + an additional potential £15m.
Add-ons aren't part of the fee though, that's why they are called add-ons. Plus, they then to include such things as "Premier League Champions = + 7.5m", "Champions League Winners = +10m" and considering the prize money for these things, they are hardly part of a "fee".

His price is 75m according to all sources so unless you can tell everyone exactly what these add ons are and guarantee that Lukaku/United will meet them, you @GlastonSpur and everyone else has no idea what the final fee will be.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Very very happy this morning. 2 more deals to be done I reckon.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Excellent signing. We need a goalscorer & he's a proven scorer who is young enough to improve further.

Don't give a shit what he cost. Yes he's overpriced, but these days most players are & I'd rather we spend the money to address the issues in the squad than not.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
All that drama from Chelsea last night.

And I must say I love Paul Pogba.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

His stats:
0.46 goals per game
45% on target
60 big chances missed

Last season
0.5 goals per game
50% on target
8 big chances missed

Incredibly uninspiring.
There are doubts, but then again there were doubts regarding all of our potential markets, whether that's Morata, Belotti or Lukaku. There are many arguments to be made for Lukaku to be a success at United. Now it's just a matter of being positive and believing in those.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Not happy about this. Anyway, he's a red now.

Hard work starts now for him. I don't want him thinking he's made it. I expect him to keep his mouth shut and get on with it and do as the manager tells him.

I really hope he scores all the goals for us that his supporters are confident of him doing.

In the meantime, welcome to Manchester United Lukaku.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Happy that a Belgian striker will be playing for United, a Red devil playing for the Red devils.

So good that we snatched him from under Chelsea who clearly wanted him. Makes the transfer even beter.

Excited to see the Lukaku-Pogba bromance at United.

Excited that he is still young and has been improving alot every year. Hope that will continue under Mourinho. Hope that we will find a way to have Rashford and Lukaku play uptop together. I think they can be extremely good together.

PeteManic

As a few people in this thread have said, he isn't at all dissimilar to many Fergie signings.

As for him being a big lump, if you actually look at the goals he's scored for Everton you'll notice they tend to come from pace, movement and taking up the right positions rather than physical strength.

In fact there are likely to be times we wonder why he doesn't impose himself more on defenders given his size.
I don't know. I know times have changed, but PL teams seem to be only able to attract and sign second rate "world class" players these days. Would Lukaku ever be on the radar of a RM or Barcelona or Bayern? Maybe the scramble for him is a sign of the level of the PL and what a "huge signing" means these days. Maybe its my own disenchantment.

I see the stats. I'd genuinely like to know who all those goals are against.

Von Mistelroum

I've said it more than once this season, long before we were linked to Rom - but this imaginary gulf between him and Lukaku doesn't exist in my opinion.

Kane is not a great all round player, you won't see him go past people per se, and he's generally underwhelmed on his admittedly brief cameos on the big stage outside of the PL. I said earlier this year, but if both were English, people would not speak of this massive difference.

If Kane is 'better', it's marginal. He's a fantastic finisher, which is also Lukaku's strongest suit, and is technically better but has nowhere near the talent and technique of say, Mbappé himself either. He's slower than Lukaku too, which is a big deal over here.

I rate Kane highly, make no mistake, and created the 'Lukaku and Kane vs Shearer' thread earlier this year about how they BOTH stand a good chance to catch his record. This nonsense of 'Lukaku is worth £90m so Kane is worth £200m' stuff is bollocks of the highest order. Anyone who watched Kane in the CL, or in the Euros will know he's not the best striker in the world by any stretch himself.
I was about to post about this too. Their all round play is different, but of a similar level. Kane scores more because he has better players around him but I don't see a big difference either way.

If Lukaku is worth £75m then Kane is worth £70-80m. He'll go for more when he goes because Levy and English tax, but that's the only big difference.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The good thing about Lukaku is how much he improved last season. That game against Bournemouth shows the player he is now. A really top centre forward. Still, he is not the finished article as proven with his performance against us at OT. But at least we are buying players for the future now.
Not just last season, he's been improving year on year for a while now.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Sergio Aguero – 99 (147)
Romelu Lukaku – 85 (176)
Harry Kane – 78 (105)
Luis Suarez – 54 (66)
Wayne Rooney – 54 (142)
Diego Costa – 52 (89)

The table would look rather different if you convert it to goals-scored-per-minutes played.

Shiva87

This really screws up my fantasy football points. I always have Lukaku when Everton start playing some easier games (and he never disaapoints).

So glad he is here! Will be a big big striker for us for the next 5-6 years. He will make the fee will look cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.