Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

We struggle to sell average players because we pay them far too much. The calibre of clubs that are interested can't afford to match those wages so we have to reduce the transfer fee.
Everton have effectively cleared a potential £30m off our wage bill which is why we were happy to make the deal happen for free.

Sometimes the finances of a deal aren't totally obvious.
Well I think Lukaku is their highest, second highest earner? He's surely taking a huge chunk of their wage bill as well. He's not exactly playing for free.

We want to sell, Everton don't. Rooney at this time is a massive expense and letting him go will save us about £30mil in wage payments.
Everton aren't daft, they know this.
Lukaku was on the last year of his contract and has refused to sign a new one. They had to sell him or risk him leaving for free the year after. How they managed to get an inflated fee rather than a reduced fee is great negotiating which we should learn from.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This Utd team will be pretty physical. Pogba, Bailly, Rojo, Valencia, Lukaku, Lindelof etc.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Delighted with this signing Lukaku offers us goals galore plus physicality with pace up top and a great age as well. Get in Griezmann and we suddenly have an abundance of goal threats in the team.

podurban2

Don't twist my words or don't mention me.
Just pulling your leg. I do somewhat disagree with your original argument though, I see players like Zlatan and Ronaldo who have improved multiple aspects of their game in their 30's, then you look at Rooney and, well... I think it's more about the individual than the amount of games one has played. Hopefully Lukaku is an individual who strives to constantly improve.

Last edited:

Anduin

Seeing as Lukaku is costing £90m, I can only wonder at Kane's valuation.
Disregarding the fact you wouldn't sell for any realistic fee anyway, I'd say £150m+ would be a decent guess.

No chance of getting Kane of you, so I'm happy enough with Lukaku. He will likely score loads with the amount of chances we create.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But the difference is he has much better players around him. Mika, Pogba or Mata feeding him. He'll score easily another 25 goals if not more.
That's not relevant. It was about individual improvement, for me at the moment Lukaku is like Mario Gomez and Gomez didn't improve individually with better players around him, he still scored plenty of goals for Bayern but they realized that he just wasn't good enough, he was putting shackles on their attack. It's basically the same problem that Higuain creates, non of these players are bad, you could even say that they are/were good but their limitations become obvious at some point and limits their teammates.

That's why the fee was a problem for me, the same way I think Higuain's fee was crazy. Fortunately Lukaku is very likeable.

Sokz

Great signing. Best player we were linked to when you compare price to ability / EPL experience / potential and the 'Mourinho' fit. Really glad we didn't sign Morata, RM's sole reason for buying him back was this type of scenario.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Looking forward to seeing the damage the Lukaku-Pogba partnership can do. People keep trotting out the line that Lukaku will be useless because teams don't give us any space in behind to work with. Have people forgotten about the number of times Pogba has gotten Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Martial and Rashford in behind, only for them to mess up?

On the other hand you only need to look at his goals against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, stretching from right at the beginning of his Everton career to the very end, to see Lukaku can do it solo against the best in the league. If you look at the proportion of all of his goals for Everton that are simple runs in behind it's somewhere below 20% - similar to Ibrahimovic, Martial or Rashford.

If anything I'd say the likelihood of him scoring those goals is only going to increase now that he has someone like Pogba to supply him. The majority of his goals have come from crosses or simple passes around the box, both of which we do frequently. It's just that last season we had a number of players that kept missing those typical chances.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Lukaku was on the last year of his contract and has refused to sign a new one. They had to sell him or risk him leaving for free the year after. How they managed to get an inflated fee rather than a reduced fee is great negotiating which we should learn from.
He's got just under 2 years left on his contract and they have no obligation to sell him this year. They have another offer on the table which whom they can negotiate with, and prices tend to be driven up when a player is in hot demand. We could have offered them 50mil but somehow I don't think they would accept it over Chelseas offer of 70.

How many clubs out there wanted to sign Rooney? Where was the bidding war for Rooney?

Robbie Boy

Anyhow, as I'm delighted with this transfer and I was gutted at the prospect of him moving to Chelsea as I feel he's better than Costa and would have scored more. I'm a huge fan and I feel he's made huge improvements in the past 2/3 years. This is a post I posted back in here in 2016 at some stage:

Pretty much my sentiments too. I felt when he was 16/17 he was an absolute beast physically but wasn't convinced by him technically whatsoever. Even though he scored a fair bit on loan at WBA, I still felt he was technically poor and quite sloppy with the ball. He's really improved and matured over the past 2 years or so and looks class these days. I would love him here.
So yeah, I'm delighted :)

LoneStar

Get in! This guy guarantees goals and has scored more than any other striker bar Aguero in the last 5 seasons. Typical Mourinho striker. Now get a proper winger and a CDM and we are good to go! We have a solid and young spine now. Can't wait to see him and Pogba linking it up on the pitch :drool:

ivaldo

Looking forward to seeing the damage the Lukaku-Pogba partnership can do. People keep trotting out the line that Lukaku will be useless because teams don't give us any space in behind to work with. Have people forgotten about the number of times Pogba has gotten Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Martial and Rashford in behind, only for them to mess up?

On the other hand, you only need to look at his goals against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, to see Lukaku can do it solo against the best in the league, and if you look at the proportion of all of his goals for Everton that are simple runs in behind it's somewhere below 20% - similar to Ibrahimovic, Martial or Rashford. If anything I'd say the likelihood of him scoring those goals is only going to increase now that he has someone like Pogba to supply him. The majority of his goals have come from crosses or simple passes around the box, both of which we do frequently.
Some serious effort has gone into constructing this post, bravo.

TsuWave

It's random only because you want to believe it's random.

He can't play on the RW for instance, he was tried and failed there constantly.

PSG French club looking for a striker, have cash and can offer him first time football, not to mention he'll be closer to his kid. But hey you say it's random.

Have a nice day.
You might as well say he can't play as striker either as a substantial amount of time he played there he failed.

you're linking psg to martial on the basis of it being a rich french club, despite no interest being shown by any of the parties, including us, for a deal, and its not random? :confused:

how can psg offer him first team football? their attacking first team players are better than Martial. Aubameyang at least could displace Cavani, unless you believe Martial on the back of last seasons performances could/would do the same. That also goes for him trying to displace Moura , Di Maria, Draxler.

ivaldo

Anyhow, as I'm delighted with this transfer and I was gutted at the prospect of him moving to Chelsea as I feel he's better than Costa and would have scored more. I'm a huge fan and I feel he's made huge improvements in the past 2/3 years. This is a post I posted back in here in 2016 at some stage:

So yeah, I'm delighted :)
We get in Hernandez and Defoe and we are set.

IrishRedDevil

It's £75m. Let me guess, for United transfers you included agents fees and all add ons but for Spurs transfers you'll only mention the lowest possible transfer fee and you won't add an allowance for agent fees, even though they are part of all deals? :boring: Predictably pathetic.

el3mel

We get one of the league goal scorers + preventing Chelsea from getting him.

Van Persie all over again. :drool:

snk123

Delighted. Now this is exactly the striker we needed. So happy we didn't sign Morata.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just pulling your leg. I do somewhat disagree with your original argument though, I see players like Zlatan and Ronaldo who have improved multiple aspects of their game in their 30's, then you look at Rooney and, well... I think it's more about the individual than the amount of games one has played. Hopefully Lukaku is an individual who strifes to constantly improve.
They changed their games that's true, they didn't really improved, they were both at the very top from 24 to 32 but they had to adapt to their new physical state. The same way Scholes adapted and arguably improved. They used their tools differently.
In the case of Lukaku, his first touch and passing abilities are poor and you rarely see players improve greatly those things after 300 professional games. He is more comparable to Matuidi who indeed miraculously became average after working under Ancelotti. That's why I say that it's not a given instead of impossible.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Will be quite a coup if United beat Chelsea to his signature, I'll be honest I thought you lot were gonna miss out when Chelsea matched the offer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've said it more than once this season, long before we were linked to Rom - but this imaginary gulf between him and Lukaku doesn't exist in my opinion.

Kane is not a great all round player, you won't see him go past people per se, and he's generally underwhelmed on his admittedly brief cameos on the big stage outside of the PL. I said earlier this year, but if both were English, people would not speak of this massive difference.

If Kane is 'better', it's marginal. He's a fantastic finisher, which is also Lukaku's strongest suit, and is technically better but has nowhere near the talent and technique of say, Mbappé himself either. He's slower than Lukaku too, which is a big deal over here.

I rate Kane highly, make no mistake, and created the 'Lukaku and Kane vs Shearer' thread earlier this year about how they BOTH stand a good chance to catch his record. This nonsense of 'Lukaku is worth £90m so Kane is worth £200m' stuff is bollocks of the highest order. Anyone who watched Kane in the CL, or in the Euros will know he's not the best striker in the world by any stretch himself.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Prepare yourselves to be very frustrated from time to time. Happy you got him instead of Morata.

Status
Not open for further replies.