Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If we can get him for 50m then id take him. 100m? Not a chance
He'd more than likely be in between both those figures! In my opinion he's not worth that, not even 50m actually, he's been a professional since the age of 16 and he's probably at his peak right now, think he's going to do a Rooney and struggle badly as he head towards his late twenties/early thirties.

ovoxo

Jamie Jackson saying we're putting Lukaku at the top of our list.

AkaAkuma

Who are the alternatives? I see very few available. Belotti, Morata who else?

I understand people questioning Lukakus overall ability, but I don't see a stand out player who doesn't have a question mark against them.

Belotti - 50m for 1.5 seasons performances, with evidence of a gulf between the 2 leagues.

Morata - I think he might have more all round game, but he strikes me as somebody who wouldn't get high returns season after season.

Aubameyang, Lewandowski - age, willingness to come.

Name the alternatives.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

I understand people questioning Lukakus overall ability, but I don't see a stand out player who doesn't have a question mark against them.

Belotti - 50m for 1.5 seasons performances, with evidence of a gulf between the 2 leagues.

Morata - I think he might have more all round game, but he strikes me as somebody who wouldn't get high returns season after season.

Name the alternatives.
Thought you were nailed on to sign Griezmann. What changed?

Aza Boy

Nobody will pay the fee...and no need to rush to get him...just offer Everton normal price...40-45 millions...his contract will be finished and after that he is free player...

He is player plays by physical aspect, while it is an advantage, when it is not work, it is not...Look at Andy "The Beast" Caroll...he potentially had all aspects similar to Lukaku, but how is he now ???

Unless, we have the correct supporting roles to maximize the physical aspect of Lukaku, no need to play 100 million...

AkaAkuma

Thought you were nailed on to sign Griezmann. What changed?
I think we can sign both. We needed the extra goals when zlatan was fit, with him injured we also need to replace his goals.

AkaAkuma

Nobody will pay the fee...and no need to rush to get him...just offer Everton normal price...40-45 millions...his contract will be finished and after that he is free player...

He is player plays by physical aspect, while it is an advantage, when it is not work, it is not...Look at Andy "The Beast" Caroll...he potentially had all aspects similar to Lukaku, but how is he now ???

Unless, we have the correct supporting roles to maximize the physical aspect of Lukaku, no need to play 100 million...
Carroll had one break out season in the premier league and had injury troubles, he also didn't have Lukakus pace.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I think we can sign both. We needed the extra goals when zlatan was fit, with him injured we also need to replace his goals.
So you're going to spend nearly £200m on strikers alone?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
How long has he got left on his contract?

For me he is not worth more than £40m, i would go for Belotti or Moratta.

RedNed77

I'm massively underwhelmed by the prospect of this transfer :rolleyes:. Just me or anybody else?

Infra-red

Name the alternatives.
There aren't any. As you correctly say, it's Lukaku vs Belotti vs Morata. Reasonable people can disagree about their preference, but it'll be one of these three.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I genuinely think he's useless.
Useless, really?

I mean, I understand if you don't rate Lukaku for whatever reason, but his goal scoring record is too impressive to call him 'useless'.

I'd love to see him at United personally.

cyberman

So you're going to spend nearly £200m on strikers alone?
I think so, that's where we're weakest. Taking chances.
Two strikers and a midfielder and most fans would be happy.
Morgan and Dapay have raised 50m between them already, sell Fellaini and its up to 51m.
Jones sold to fund Keane and Darmian and Shaw gone to fund a LB purchase.
Get Antoine and Lukaku for 150m odd and it isn't that far fetched. That would be net -100m for an overhaul of the squad which wouldn't be too bad.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
No thanks once again.

He s better than Rooney and very useful in PL with his physical presence but for competing in Europe he s not good enough.

100M for him is just laughable.

Rather pay 100M for Lewandowski or Benzema

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I genuinely think he's useless.
He is proven to be more than capable of doing by far the most difficult thing to do in the game - score goals. He may have weaknesses in his game but if he scores you 20 league goals every season then you would have a much better chance of winning the league than you do currently. If 'just' being able to score goals is useless then I'm not sure if I understand football.

shabz

We broke the transfer market with the Pogba transfer, now everyone is quoting 100 million for their best players. It is ridiculous, I'd have Lukaku at the club but for the ridiculous price that are being quoted, no thank you.

AndyJ1985

Anything close to £100m would be absolutely mental. Half of that would be reasonable.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
No thanks. Not excited by Lukaku. We don't need a big game bottler.

CM

We definitely won't. For that kind of money you'd be signing players who will start every week, it would be stupid to restrict ourselves to starting two strikers every week.

We don't even need two strikers.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
His all round game isn't all that impressive, i'd rather have a Moratta type who brings others into play and makes the attack function better as a unit than a guy who'll break down half your own moves with bad first touches and poor decision making but more likely to score a goal.
At the end of the day, goals win games so it's probably something most would be prepared to accept, to each their own, but the fact remains to this point his all round game is lacking for a top front man and not covered himself in glory in some big games this year.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Wouldn't want him here. That said, he'd be an upgrade on what we currently have.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Which is the more likely in your opinion, Chelsea sign Lukaku or Moratta? Are you after two strikers?
No chance we pay £100m for Lukaku, imo. If we buy him it'll surely be for less than that. The club won't spend that much on a single player.

If Costa leaves we'll definitely need more than one new striker.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's good at what he does, but what he does it's easily controlled by better defenders.

My main issue with this is that it'd signify us going down an alternate path than I hoped we would take, which is a team of brilliant players, all technically outstanding. This i tight would help us implement a better style on the big games.

I have had a nagging suspicion that Jose will be lured by the goals and brute force of Lukaku though, which might not be a bad thing as an alternative to Rashford.

Arthur Friedenreich

People talk a lot about first touch, skills, etc, but i dont think those aspects are really fundamental for a 9 in the modern game.
United could sign Aguero, Benzema, Mbappe, or another skilful striker, but Lukaku probably will outscore them playing in the same team IN EPL.

Expressions like "he's a joy to watch" should not be relevant when we talk about a 9.
I suspect majority of those draws would be victories with Lukaku in this team and United would be fighting with Chelsea now.

Status
Not open for further replies.