Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aza Boy

Seeing Rashford leading a line against Chelsea and Anderlecht, I could tell, even if he is not gonna be a World Class Player, with the good training and game played, he may have the level of current Lukaku...

Not going to make a bad comment for Lukaku, but from what I saw last game against Westham, he needs to improve his overall game, specially his touch...most of his touch just sloppy...can not blame him, may be this is due to the training method he used to be when he's young...prioritizing the physical aspects...

One more thing comes in mind, Romelo Lukaku needs a good passer/crosser in order to maximizing his goal scoring...his number one assets is his deadly heading...many Everton games, I saw, the crossings from Baines, Coleman, or Barkley ended up with Romelu Lukaku's goals.

If we want to buy this lad, adjustment of play will be important...Man Utd will need another pure winger to provide the crossing and another CM-Passer to provide the through pass...however, this will cost us one of Martial-Rashford...and with the current form, perhaps Martial will be in trouble...

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: Invictus

Crashoutcassius

aYou know personally I think - he has a funny mentality, has always been at small clubs and there's a chance mourinho could fccus his mind and kick start his consistency

prtk0811

For around 80 million I'd sell. It's a fair price.

The only worry is that like with the Suarez and Bale money, teams know you are sitting on a big kitty so they overcharge you.
He'd rejected a new deal, and if he runs out one more year , with one year left everton will get no where near 80 m also.

AshfordLad

He'd rejected a new deal, and if he runs out one more year , with one year left everton will get no where near 80 m also.
Add to that no one apart from Chelsea seems interested in him.

The fair price for him would be around the £60m mark. Though Chelsea might pay closer to £70m in the interest of a speedy resolution early in the window.

Varun

Staff
Add to that no one apart from Chelsea seems interested in him.

The fair price for him would be around the £60m mark. Though Chelsea might pay closer to £70m in the interest of a speedy resolution early in the window.
Koeman's talking a lot about us for a club that's not shown any interest.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
yeah, only the serie A player of the year and the 'future best mf in the world'. god knows what kind of cash we'd pay for a successful 23 year old target man !!!!!!
Go easy on him, the bloke's having meltdown in this thread.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Apart from that freak WBA-Man Utd game, Lukaku has been pretty average against us and has been bossed by the likes of Paddy McNair. He's obviously a very good striker but I think there's a reason why United fans don't rate him too much and that's because he most of the times underwhelms against us.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
yeah, only the serie A player of the year and the 'future best mf in the world'. god knows what kind of cash we'd pay for a successful 23 year old target man !!!!!!
Funny how Juventus are doing better now that they replaced future bestest midfielder in the world with a successful target man.

Needham

If we spend 100 million on this eeyore it's the last spiritual nail in the soul coffin of Manchester United.
1st: Glazer debt catastrophe
2nd: (Arguably) middle period Jose, sour and confounded by Klopp, Poch, Pep
3rd: 90 million on an ex-player
4th: Lukaku for 100 mill

Fracture90

Funny how Juventus are doing better now that they replaced future bestest midfielder in the world with a successful target man.
2 years ago they won the double crown and played CL final against Barcelona, so what's your point?

Litch

If we spend 100 million on this eeyore it's the last spiritual nail in the soul coffin of Manchester United.
Spiritual nail....what a load of rubbish.

Litch

I think he'll go to Chelsea but for me, he scores goals in the PL consistently playing in a very average Everton team. Whilst people are Fantasising about players outside the PL, this league finds players and managers out. I'd sooner spend money on proven players in it than the lottery of players looking good in poor leagues. For me, let's test spurs resolve with 80m for Kane...

Fracture90

They had Pirlo then, he made a huge differance. I was comparing this years team with last years.
They had Pogba then as well. They had Tevez who was clinical as well, they had Vidal. Ain't everything so simple as you're trying to paint it like they came alive since they sold us Pogba.

Just because you're an opposition supporter that doesn't mean you need to part ways with reality.

rollingstoned1

A good player but my concern with him is if he is a player who can be a striker for a big team trying to score against teams who very often will pack their box and not give him space. He doesn't seem to have a great touch and neither does he seem to be a thinking footballer but my concern with him is also why I was fairly sure that Vardy would have been a flop at Arsenal.

Crashoutcassius

I think he is a 30 goal a season striker in a team that makes lots of chances. Question is where those goals come, do they come in the games where we win 4-0 anyway or can he win us tight games

red thru&thru

I think he is a 30 goal a season striker in a team that makes lots of chances. Question is where those goals come, do they come in the games where we win 4-0 anyway or can he win us tight games
I personally believe it's the smaller games we need a player like Lukaku. Those games are always tight in terms of the opposition playing defensively. Lukaku would occupy 2 defenders allowing us room for our other attackers to attack.

Nedved

Not true. Pogba, for all his talent, has never been awarded Player of the Season in Serie A. He has never even been Juventus' player of the year.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
100m for Lukaku! wow.

He's a strange mix of good stats bar the top teams, but seems quite limited.

I'd prefer us looking elsewhere to be honest

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think he'll go to Chelsea but for me, he scores goals in the PL consistently playing in a very average Everton team. Whilst people are Fantasising about players outside the PL, this league finds players and managers out. I'd sooner spend money on proven players in it than the lottery of players looking good in poor leagues. For me, let's test spurs resolve with 80m for Kane...
Totally agree with this.

We've gambled, mainly unsuccessfully, on big signings from other leagues over the past 3 seasons.

Lets start bringing in some proven PL players. Whether that be Rom, Kane, Alli or whoever.

Dong Fangzhuo

Would much rather have Icardi for half the price. Similarly ineffective outside the box but just as, if not more effective inside it.

Devil may care

The PL doesn't find players out IMO, it's a brutish league that doesn't suit some players, but it's a league who's teams and players have been found out in European competition time and again in recent years.

cheeky_backheel

The PL doesn't find players out IMO, it's a brutish league that doesn't suit some players, but it's a league who's teams and players have been found out in European competition time and again in recent years.
Precisely, this so called proven EPL player are perennially given the boot out of the European tournaments by 'unproven' players with some coming from even lesser leagues. All the EPL proven Kane and Alli could show against Gent was an own goal and red card respectively.

Fracture90

Would much rather have Icardi for half the price. Similarly ineffective outside the box but just as, if not more effective inside it.
I sincerely doubt Inter would even consider the 50 million bid for Icardi.

He's 24, been in the club for a while, he's their captain, focal point of the team, maybe their best player, they got money and don't need to sell.

Not to mention he just signed the new contract last fall and he has a 100 million buyout clause.

Revan

Assumptionman
Precisely, this so called proven EPL player are perennially given the boot out of the European tournaments by 'unproven' players with some coming from even lesser leagues. All the EPL proven Kane and Alli could show against Gent was an own goal and red card respectively.
It is such a stupid argument, to be fair. In fact, if you look at all league's best players (Aguero, Silva, Sanchez, Hazard, Kante, Costa, Courtuis, Luiz, Alderweireld, Erikson, Lloris, De Gea, Ibra, Pogba, Mane, Coutinho, Alli, Kane and Lukaku) only the last three did most of their football development in England. All the other best players in the league came from those 'inferior' leagues. From clubs of those inferior leagues that make English clubs look like Sunday league football teams when they face each other.

Dong Fangzhuo

I sincerely doubt Inter would even consider the 50 million bid for Icardi.

He's 24, been in the club for a while, he's their captain, focal point of the team, maybe their best player, they got money and don't need to sell.

Not to mention he just signed the new contract last fall and he has a 100 million buyout clause.
Forgot about the takeover. Hopefully this new money in both Milan clubs leads to Serie A becoming relevant again.

Sticking with the transfer theme, I think I'd actually prefer Belotti to both Icardi and Lukaku :) Apparently he also has a 100m release clause, but surely Torino can't turn down 50-60m?

Fracture90

Forgot about the takeover. Hopefully this new money in both Milan clubs leads to Serie A becoming relevant again.

Sticking with the transfer theme, I think I'd actually prefer Belotti to both Icardi and Lukaku :) Apparently he also has a 100m release clause, but surely Torino can't turn down 50-60m?
I can agree on Belotti, I do like his style of play,versatility and tenacity.

Now regarding the fee I think I've read it somewhere that Torino already had rejected a 55 million bid from Chelsea, they want the full price.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It is such a stupid argument, to be fair. In fact, if you look at all league's best players (Aguero, Silva, Sanchez, Hazard, Kante, Costa, Courtuis, Luiz, Alderweireld, Erikson, Lloris, De Gea, Ibra, Pogba, Mane, Coutinho, Alli, Kane and Lukaku) only the last three did most of their football development in England. All the other best players in the league came from those 'inferior' leagues. From clubs of those inferior leagues that make English clubs look like Sunday league football teams when they face each other.
Not to nitpick but DDG learned his craft between La Liga and the PL (La Liga not an inferior league).

Hazard and Coutinho have done a lot of that development in the PL.

And, with the best will in the World, Pogba shouldn't be in that list. Not yet.

Ok, that was just nitpicking.

Alabaster Codify7

For me, this is as nailed on a transfer as possible:

Costa to China for a ridiculous fee.

Money funds Lukaku's return to Chelsea to effortlessly fit into the CF role.

Vilev

I don't think he'll be any good in PL, while he is not a small guy he simply lack ability to win these 50-50 duels, like arial or strength ones. And he is not fast as well, he's like a weird Milito clone.
Lukaku on the other hand is useful as a CF, who can hold the ball. He is quite useful for long range passes. He is also good at counters, just remember his City goal. In that way he is more complete CF, although as a "fox in a box" Icardi is better.

cheeky_backheel

I don't think he'll be any good in PL, while he is not a small guy he simply lack ability to win these 50-50 duels, like arial or strength ones. And he is not fast as well, he's like a weird Milito clone.
Lukaku on the other hand is useful as a CF, who can hold the ball. He is quite useful for long range passes. He is also good at counters, just remember his City goal. In that way he is more complete CF, although as a "fox in a box" Icardi is better.
Lukaku (despite his size) doesnt hold up the well as was evident when we played Everton

Last edited:

Vilev

Lukaku (despite his size) doesnt hold up the well and as was evident when we played Everton
That was pretty much his off game, in majority of the games this season he played this role quite well, being focal point of Everton's attacks. Well maybe "holding the ball" was a wrong way to put it, because that is not exactly what he does. What i meant was when you have a long range pass and you need to attack in small numbers Lukaku is good in these situations. Whether he runs into these long balls, or he wins a duel and makes a pass to the partner or he plays a couple 1-2s or actually holds the ball with his back to the goal does not matter. What matters is that a team hoofs the ball forward and can a striker somehow organize an attack from that. Lukaku can.

cheeky_backheel

That was pretty much his off game, in majority of the games this season he played this role quite well, being focal point of Everton's attacks. Well maybe "holding the ball" was a wrong way to put it, because that is not exactly what he does. What i meant was when you have a long range pass and you need to attack in small numbers Lukaku is good in these situations. Whether he runs into these long balls, or he wins a duel and makes a pass to the partner or he plays a couple 1-2s or actually holds the ball with his back to the goal does not matter. What matters is that a team hoofs the ball forward and can a striker somehow organize an attack from that. Lukaku can.
I agree he can lead a counter attack (and definitely has an excellent turn of pace for his size) but what he seems to struggle with is the situation where he has to keep the ball and wait for his team mates to push upfield and join him, helping his team keep possession. This is very often needed to relieve pressure if your team has been under siege.

MrPooni

All your "spiritual nails" seem to be driven by optics over anything else.

1) "Debt catastrophe" implies something disastrous happened as a result of the debt when in reality it preceded one of the most successful periods in the clubs history. Whether the two are related is neither here nor there, it doesn't change the fact that as of 2017, nothing "catastrophic" has happened as a result of the debt bar the boat load of circular arguments that pop up on here on a bi-annual basis. So sure, the debt situation might look bad but that's largely down to how competent the beholder is at understanding our true financial position.

2) We're 3/4 of the way through "middle period" Jose's first season and we still have two viable paths to the Champions League, 1.5 trophies in the cabinet and decent chance of winning another so I wouldn't exactly describe any of this a deathblow to the heart and soul of Manchester United or any other hyperbolic nonsense that's floating around your skull. Compare that to Klopp, Pep and Poch who are all facing the prospect of winning the square root of feck all this season bar @Needham's Spiritual Affection Award. Jose must be crying into his cornflakes right now. Sure being 5th looks bad but that's largely down to how competent the beholder is at semantical gymnastics.

3) £80 odd million on one of the hottest prospects in football in a season where the Premier League Champions tried and failed to spunk £30 million on Troy Deeney and Manchester City pissed away £50 million on John Stones isn't bad going in my book. Sure the Pogba transfer looks bad if you strip it of context to suit your weird argument about The Ongoing War For Spirit of Manchester United but it's going to end up looking like a bargain when you consider the batshit figures that are going to start flying about this summer.

4) See #3

TL;DR: :lol: at anyone trying to make a serious argument about "driving spiritual nails in the coffin of Manchester United" based on some shaky transfer rumours linking us to one of the best young strikers in the Premier League. Have a word with yourself.

Last edited:

Vilev

I agree he can lead a counter attack (and definitely has an excellent turn of pace for his size) but what he seems to struggle with is the situation where he has to keep the ball and wait for his team mates to push upfield and join him, helping his team keep possession. This is very often needed to relieve pressure if your team has been under siege.
Maybe, but a lot of times he failed to keep possession are not because he lost via a mistake, but because he tried to gamble and attack even by himself or with one partner. Trying to create a chance.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
All your "spiritual nails" seem to be driven by optics over anything else.

1) "Debt catastrophe" implies something disastrous happened as a result of the debt when in reality it preceded one of the most successful periods in the clubs history. Whether the two are related is neither here nor there, it doesn't change the fact that as of 2017, nothing "catastrophic" has happened as a result of the debt bar the boat load of circular arguments that pop up on here on a bi-annual basis. So sure, the debt situation might look bad but that's largely down to how competent the beholder is in at understanding our true financial position.

2) We're 3/4 of the way through "middle period" Jose's first season and we still have two viable paths to the Champions League, 1.5 trophies in the cabinet and decent chance of winning another so I wouldn't exactly describe any of this a deathblow to the heart and soul of Manchester United or any other hyperbolic nonsense that's floating around your skull. Compare that to Klopp, Pep and Poch who are all facing the prospect of winning the square root of feck all this season bar @Needham's Spiritual Affection Award. Jose must be crying into his cornflakes right now. Sure being 5th looks bad but that's largely down to how competent the beholder is at semantical gymnastics.

3) £80 odd million on one of the hottest prospects in football in a season where the Premier League Champions tried and failed to spunk £30 million on Troy Deeney and Manchester City pissed away £50 million on John Stones isn't bad going in my book. Sure the Pogba transfer looks bad if you strip it of context to suit your weird argument about The Ongoing War For Spirit of Manchester United but it's going to end up looking like a bargain when you consider the batshit figures that are going to start flying about this summer.

4) See #3

TL;DR: :lol: at anyone trying to have serious arguments about "driving spiritual nails in the coffin of Manchester United" based on some shaky transfer rumours linking us to one of the best young strikers in the Premier League. Have a word with yourself.
applause.gif

cheeky_backheel

Maybe, but a lot of times he failed to keep possession are not because he lost via a mistake, but because he tried to gamble and attack even by himself or with one partner. Trying to create a chance.
But that is the mistake. He should hold on to the ball so that his team mates, particularly the defence, can have a breather, have some possession and get some relieve. He shouldnt be mounting a one-man attack that has a high likelihood of failing, as it only puts the pressure back on his team a few seconds later.

Status
Not open for further replies.