SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Water Melon

Lads and lasses, any update regarding Hendrik Streeck's study? Can the virus spread through surfaces?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Tbf, there are multiple teams of scientists who think 12-18 months is much more realistic than 6, and even for that, they urge caution. There is also the fact that the vaccines take 10-15 years to be developed.

Oxford’s team is also not the leading team on this. Moderna from Boston is the leader, and they produced a vaccine two months ago (I am not sure that Oxford’s super optimistic team has even developed the vaccine yet), and administered it on humans a month ago or so. The 12-18 months or so delay is more about doing intensive (though somehow rushed) testing, rather than developing the vaccine. There are already multiple vaccines that seem to be working fine.

What Oxford’s team is proposing looks to me to essentially skip the testing. Which can be dangerous for mass vaccinations and it will likely not get the green permit. And to be fair, I think that they have been advocating to start administering it in doctors and medical staff on fall, not on general population.
I am not really sure where you got this from:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-oxford-university-human-trials-a9467061.html

I am aware that most experts think that 12-18 is more realistic than 6, I was just saying that it is incredibly arrogant to completely write off six saying given that some of the people actually working on it think that it can be done in that time. I am not holding my breath and expect it to be six, but, as long as any experts are claiming it is possible, I will be hoping for it.

Adamsk7

To be honest even if smoking cigarettes protects you from the Virus, it’s probably still statistically safer to take your chances with healthy lungs than to have the lungs of a smoker over the course of your life. Let’s not forget, the vast majority of people have a minor illness. People treat Covid on here like it’s the Black Plague.

Do I wanna get it? No. Do I wanna damage my health in other ways just because I might get it? No also.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wouldn't be surprised if it's because smokers are more likely to die before they enter the corona danger zone
That’s a good theory but even the age adjusted rates seem to show smokers doing surprisingly well. From memory it was a bit of a mixed picture. Smokers less likely to die than non-smokers but more likely to end up in hospital. Or something like that. Could be the other way round! Either way, it was massively counter-intuitive because everyone expected smokers to be the worst affected by every metric.

In fact that was the main reason given for Chinese men doing worse than Chinese women. Higher incidence of smoking in Chinese men. Turns out that wasn’t true at all. The latest theory for men doing worse than women is that the virus hides from our immune system by hunkering down in our balls. Seriously. Sneaky little bastard.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Wanna know why? Quick anecdote.

I'm from Wales, in the valleys, we say 'butt' at the end of every sentence, with the meaning being 'mate' or 'friend'.

I went to university in England and after a week or so, realised I had to replace 'butt' because it was causing issues whereby people thought my sentence was going to continue. I didn't want to adopt 'mate' because I didn't like the term at all and 18yr old me associated it with southern English (stupid viewpoint I know, now). So I went for man as my sort of habitual ending to a sentence.
Tidy :)

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
In fact that was the main reason given for Chinese men doing worse than Chinese women. Higher incidence of smoking in Chinese men. Turns out that wasn’t true at all. The latest theory for men doing worse than women is that the virus hides from our immune system by hunkering down in our balls. Seriously. Sneaky little bastard.
:lol: Is this really true?

Revan

Assumptionman
I am not really sure where you got this from:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-oxford-university-human-trials-a9467061.html

I am aware that most experts think that 12-18 is more realistic than 6, I was just saying that it is incredibly arrogant to completely write off six saying given that some of the people actually working on it think that it can be done in that time. I am not holding my breath and expect it to be six, but, as long as any experts are claiming it is possible, I will be hoping for it.
Yep, I was not sure. In any case, they seem to be 6 weeks behind Moderna, and a few weeks behind some other companies who are doing testing for a while now.

Nothing to suggest that somehow they will leapfrog the others, especially considering that for most part now it is going to be just testing, and I expect the testing to last more or less the same for every vaccine.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
You’d be surprised. There’s a lot of stoners out there who literally think smoking weed cures cancer. And most other ailments you can think of. Looks like we might have one of them in this thread!
:lol:

Don't take me too seriously.

I'm kinda half joking with the cannabis hypothesis, but just like with tobacco and nicotine, it is certainly possible something similar could happen with cannabis. My personal experience would indicate there is something to it, because I know a lot of smokers, and I'm yet to know of anyone sick. Even though it's probably just coincidence, had to mention it when I read that nicotine article.

The only two stoners I know of living in a covid-19 hotspot (Manhattan in this case), are my brother and his wife, and so far they are ok, thankfully. Im hoping it remains the case, whether by luck or by the mighty THC.

Classical Mechanic

I could be completely wrong but I think it's down to the devolution powers of the Scottish and Welsh governments.
That is correct.

His insiders blame England specific procurement legislation introduced by Cameron's government. As far as I can see some people argue the legislation was introduced to combat against large scale fraud in the sector whilst others argue it's a secret Tory plot to sell off the NHS piecemeal. Fair to say its a politically emotive subject.

My question would be if it is an England specific thing then why are only some hospitals/trusts badly affected, something he acknowledges in the thread. Obviously there will be many variables affecting this but the journalist doesn't explore any of them in anyway but focuses the insiders that blame the procurement issues.

I'm not saying that the insiders are wrong in what they say, only that if there are quite a few anomalies operating under the same rules then the specifics need to be looked at.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I used to be a heavy weed smoker man, and I have never met one in my life who had healthy lungs. Nicotine is shit, we all know that, but inhaling exhaust-pipe levels of ANY kind of smoke into your fecking lungs is NOT healthy despite what the most ardent of stoners will bleat on about. It's certainly not as bad as smoking cigs, but you know what's better again for your lungs and health? Not smoking at all. At a push, I would entertain the idea that smokers and weed smokers might not be as susceptible due to having damaged lungs that the virus struggles to get a grip on. If that's considered protection, then yeah maybe they are protected.
The difference I observed in college was that average pot smokers inhaled less actual puffs of smoke per day than the hardcore cigarette smokers would smoke per cigarette (bong hits of high THC California pot). I counted this back then and the heavy cigarette smokers (1 pack+/day) were inhaling more puffs of smoke in a single day than the average pot smokers would take in 3-4 weeks. Even assuming the smoke is equaling damaging, the cigarette smokers were inhaling exponentially more of it and far more regularly throughout the day.

Balljy

The difference I observed in college was that average pot smokers inhaled less actual puffs of smoke per day than the hardcore cigarette smokers would smoke per cigarette (bong hits of high THC California pot). I counted this back then and the heavy cigarette smokers (1 pack+/day) were inhaling more puffs of smoke in a single day than the average pot smokers would take in 3-4 weeks. Even assuming the smoke is equaling damaging, the cigarette smokers were inhaling exponentially more of it and far more regularly throughout the day.
A lot of pot smokers don't filter though unlike pre-bought cigarettes and those filters really do take out a lot of the crap.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Lots of pot smokers roll joints with tobacco so the argument isn't exactly apples vs oranges.
depends on the city from my experience. That wasn't really a thing in California, the land of the bong, whereas my NYC friends, would do that all the time. At least the people I knew, there was a huge amount of pot smokers that wouldn't ever smoke tobacco.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Bong hits certainly less damaging than joints, as the smoke is cooled and (partially) filtered by the water. You’re still setting stuff on fire and sucking smoke right down to the bottom of your lungs. Which is not going to do them any good, put it that way.

Sweet Square

That is correct.

His insiders blame England specific procurement legislation introduced by Cameron's government. As far as I can see some people argue the legislation was introduced to combat against large scale fraud in the sector whilst others argue it's a secret Tory plot to sell off the NHS piecemeal. Fair to say its a politically emotive subject.

My question would be if it is an England specific thing then why are only some hospitals/trusts badly affected, something he acknowledges in the thread. Obviously there will be many variables affecting this but the journalist doesn't explore any of them in anyway but focuses the insiders that blame the procurement issues.

I'm not saying that the insiders are wrong in what they say, only that if there are quite a few anomalies operating under the same rules then the specifics need to be looked at.
Cheers for this.

The whole system seems a complete mess.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Mr. Sadeq Elhowsh an orthopaedic surgeon who worked at The Whiston Hospital, a part of St Helens and Whiston Hospitals NHS Trust, is another doctor who lost his life on the frontline today. This is the response from the hospital to the arrival of the hearse.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone else worried about a spike in crimes if we all have to wear face-masks? :nervous:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I got the BCG in school - was this not standard for most people for many years? Perhaps this was just in NI? I honestly don't know.
Yea we did too (Manchester). I remember everyone punching each other in the arm for weeks afterwards.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Some countries are trying the BCG vaccine to see if it works. In theory it may work so India, Vietnam and even in UWA in Australia are trying it in trials. Incidentally in some small Asian countries everyone gets a BCG vaccine and a Polio vaccine at birth. Maldives is a good example. It looks like at this moment in time, they have about 86 confirmed cases and half are foreigners and 16 recovered and fortunately at this moment in time no deaths. But this figure is going to rise for sure as more people are tested. The good news maybe no deaths (so far). If and there is a big IF it is the BCG that seems to keep this under control then it is very good news. As far as the information I had from all these who has been tested positive only one man of 80 years is in ICU and he has had past complications of various underlying causes including a stroke and pneumonia too.
Sri Lanka has 310 positive cases and 7 deaths including some foreigners in this 7. From the 310 already 100 have recovered.
Haven't most in the UK already had that vaccine?

redshaw

Doesn't the BCG vaccine wear off though? Thought I read this was debunked weeks ago in terms of if you had it a long time ago. Not saying a recent or new injection wouldn't help but in the UK almost every teen had it at school spanning 50 years.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Doesn't the BCG vaccine wear off though? Thought I read this was debunked weeks ago in terms of if you had it a long time ago. Not saying a recent or new injection wouldn't help but in the UK almost every teen had it at school spanning 50 years.
You need to get a shot after every 10-15 years.
Also India has large number of TB cases despite BCG vaccine. Before coronavirus happened, Indian Council for Medical Reasearch were carrying out survey of TB and found only 30% ( still in preliminary stage) had developed antibody as a result of vaccine. BCG is not even effective against TB for which it was created.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
BCG protects (partially) against TB only for a very long time. It also gives a short-term protection against a load of other respiratory pathogens for a short time after you get the jab. So it’s extremely unlikely that it’s protecting against covid many decades later. So yes, you’re basically correct. There’s most likely other reasons for countries which vaccinate everyone with a BCG having relatively low mortality from covid.