5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The White Pele

I think he will score at a ratio of 2 every 3 games. Let's hope he stays fit for most of the campaign.

wr8_utd

:'(
Its all about context... must win games speak for themselves... even if the opposition isn't all that fashionable. And yes... I expect ALL of our players (especially our so called talisman) to show up for them... all of them. We all should. Games don't get bigger than that City away game in 11/12... everything was on the line.

There is only one person to blame for that match and it's Fergie. Playing Park, Scholes and Giggs was moronic.

Obiorahking_

Rooney is not scoring more than twenty goals in this system we are playing....

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I think I'd rather see Rooney in behind the front man, that is, if mata is not.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
There are no rumours as he recently signed a new contract. Before that, Jose, of Porto fame, wanted to sign him. For some crumbs. Edward literally told him to feck off.
Baloney. I have been working for almost a year now to start and cultivate these rumors and get him shipped out. The San Jose Earthquakes need a big star and it would be a good local rivalry with Gerrard in LA. Or Beckham has just agreed a stadium deal so The Miami Beckhams will be playing soon and Rooney would be a perfect fit. He could come the USA with all the fanfare of "Beckham Mk. II" Mister Big Stuff, England record goalscore, and MUFC 2nd best goalscorer.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He's lost considerable pace. We need to play him as a number 10. Sorta like Cantona/Sheringham. But we need an Andy Cole in the team.

Sam

Here's all of Rooney's finishes from the 09/10 season..

I see no reason why he can't finish chances like that again. Di Maria is the most likely to provide that sort of service whereas Young is not up to it and Valencia unfortunately isn't anymore either. Memphis looked quality yesterday though, so hopefully he can play like that in the premier league.
Fecking hell, how many headed goals did he score that season? :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's going to be playing in Big Duncs testimonial on the 2nd of August against Villareal.

RooneyLegend

He scored 4 goals in 14 matches as a striker for is, and has just scored one away goal domestically since March 2014.
This sort of number crunching is what lead people to believe that Welbeck was capable of scoring 20 goals upfront in a season, didn't really work out. Strikers need to be playing upfront to gather momentum and sharpness in the final third. If he's being shifted around throughout the season to plug holes he's never going to score goals consistently uptop. I personally don't see any difference in him physically from moyes last season and he got 17 in the league then in a struggling team playing as a second striker. He won't be struggling to get it done this coming season.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
This sort of number crunching is what lead people to believe that Welbeck was capable of scoring 20 goals upfront in a season, didn't really work out. Strikers need to be playing upfront to gather momentum and sharpness in the final third. If he's being shifted around throughout the season to plug holes he's never going to score goals consistently uptop. I personally don't see any difference in him physically from moyes last season and he got 17 in the league then in a struggling team playing as a second striker. He won't be struggling to get it done this coming season.
He's played striker basically every week since RVP got injured, hasnt impressed at all. It isnt even that he's not scoring goals, but his general play has been in massive decline too. You rarely see him combining well with another player, touches of brilliance, speeding up our play as he used tho.

United22

I predict 30 goals for Rooney next season in all comps next season.
Really? In his whole career over a decade here, he has had no more than two seasons where he has scored over 30. Having been on the decline over the last three years, what makes you think he can score 30? Heck even any world class player not named Ronaldo or Messi would be flattered with 30 goals in a season

Walters_19_MuFc

Really? In his whole career over a decade here, he has had no more than two seasons where he has scored over 30. Having been on the decline over the last three years, what makes you think he can score 30? Heck even any world class player not named Ronaldo or Messi would be flattered with 30 goals in a season
Those two seasons he played as a striker.

RooneyLegend

He's played striker basically every week since RVP got injured, hasnt impressed at all. It isnt even that he's not scoring goals, but his general play has been in massive decline too. You rarely see him combining well with another player, touches of brilliance, speeding up our play as he used tho.
Mmm remember him in midfield in some games besides Hererra even when RVP was injured. Again, we shipped him from a long spell in midfield mid-season and hope he'll randomly bang them in for fun. Combining well with which player? It takes 2 to tango and every other attacker in the team was having the worst years of their careers. Fellaini isn't some playing you combine with and when he's playing as a 9 that speeding of play stuff is none of his business.

AttackingFlair

Think Rooney started playing up front again vs Preston.

Preston - 1 goal
Sunderland - 2 goals
Newcastle - 0 goals
Arsenal - 1 goal
Tottenham - 1 goal
Liverpool - 0 goals
Villa - 1 goal
City - 0 goals, 1 assist
Chelsea - played midfield alongside Herrera. Fellaini played off Falcao.
West Brom - midfield
Everton - 0 goals, got injured late on
Crystal Palace - 0 goals, got rushed back from injury and injured himself again, didn't last the first half and was subbed off.
Hull - 0 goals, first game back from injury.

6 goals and 1 assist in 10 games, not counting Crystal Palace because he got injured early, the Chelsea game because he started next to Herrera in midfied and West Brom because he played in midfield.

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Mmm remember him in midfield in some games besides Hererra even when RVP was injured. Again, we shipped him from a long spell in midfield mid-season and hope he'll randomly bang them in for fun. Combining well with which player? It takes 2 to tango and every other attacker in the team was having the worst years of their careers. Fellaini isn't some playing you combine with and when he's playing as a 9 that speeding of play stuff is none of his business.
Combining well with Mata, Young who where in quite good form during that spell? Its not only that he wasnt bangin them in for fun, his much praised general play and him bringing more to the team, was non existent too. Wat is the extra Rooney brings to the team anyway compared to other strikers? The pass wide to Valencia which leads to nothing most of the time? Some few years ago for a striker he had great link up, hold up play and was fairly creative, he really has this no more than strikers as Suarez, Benzema, Lewandowski, Aguero, Ibrahimovic at the moment. And being played in midfield shouldnt stop you from that when you get back in the offence.

Annahnomoss

Think Rooney started playing up front again vs Preston.

Preston - 1 goal
Sunderland - 2 goals
Newcastle - 0 goals
Arsenal - 1 goal
Tottenham - 1 goal
Liverpool - 0 goals
Villa - 1 goal
City - 0 goals, 1 assist
Chelsea - played midfield alongside Herrera. Fellaini played off Falcao.
West Brom - I missed this game and only caught the highlights. I know RVP started this one, so can anyone confirm Rooney's position for this one?
Everton - 0 goals, got injured late on
Crystal Palace - 0 goals, got rushed back from injury and injured himself again, didn't last the first half and was subbed off.
Hull - 0 goals, first game back from injury.

6 goals and 1 assist in 11 games if I count the West Brom game, unless anyone can confirm his position for me. Not counting Crystal Palace because he got injured early or the Chelsea game because he started next to Herrera.
According to WhoScored he played 14 games as a striker and scored 4 goals.

AttackingFlair

According to WhoScored he played 14 games as a striker and scored 4 goals.
They're wrong then.

Edit: Saw one website put Rooney down as midfield for the West Brom game. So basically 6 goals and 1 assist in 10 games since LVG reinstated Rooney to striker at the end of the season. Not as terrible as people made out stat-wise. Sure to get better service this year and a proper run of games as well. Can't be easy going from midfield one game to number 9 the next.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I hope for all us fans that Rooney proves me wrong - but I'm pessimistic about him playing as our loan striker - can't see him consistently scoring for us. I really think he's lost his edge (seems that way since before SAF left), but hope I'm wrong.

RooneyLegend

Combining well with Mata, Young who where in quite good form during that spell? Its not only that he wasnt bangin them in for fun, his much praised general play and him bringing more to the team, was non existent too. Wat is the extra Rooney brings to the team anyway compared to other strikers? The pass wide to Valencia which leads to nothing most of the time? Some few years ago for a striker he had great link up, hold up play and was fairly creative, he really has this no more than strikers as Suarez, Benzema, Lewandowski, Aguero, Ibrahimovic at the moment. And being played in midfield shouldnt stop you from that when you get back in the offence.
How's he gonna combine with young who's always on the touchline? Mata was preoccupied with link ups with Herrera.
Have never understood why he gets blamed for Valencia being absolutely useless.
He still has all that, however Van Gaal likes his strikers not to get all that involved in games.
Let's just see what happens this season mate.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Messi/Ronaldo incarnated with a dash of Edwards with feet of Best.

Stunning!

Was ok, nothing great. Like so many others today.

SSSSnake

I only saw a bit of the game but he looked a little slow to react...I can't help but think we're all dreaming if we expect Rooney to score more then 20+ this season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't know why are people so persistent with mentioning the numbers he will or will not score when he hasn't showed for years that he can actually hold the ball properly as a striker. Even if he scores 30 if he can't put decent all around performances then he is simply not good enough to lead the line. I don't doubt that he will score decent number of goals, my biggest worry is his all around play which is more than average as a lone striker.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Worried about him, but when the season starts if we create chances I expect him to put them away.

Dante

Average bang
He either plays at 100mph or not at all.

I think he's been pretty poor in preseason so far, but I don't think that's going to be indicative of his season to come.

Big Andy

Bloke
I only saw a bit of the game but he looked a little slow to react...I can't help but think we're all dreaming if we expect Rooney to score more then 20+ this season.
Bollocks...

With a full pre-season, no injuries, and a full season up front, I fully expect the scouse cnut to break Sir Bobby's record this season, and then some...

Walters_19_MuFc

Don't think he was as bad as people are making out. I mean, his one touch play was pretty good, and played a big part in the first goal, where he played a nice through ball to Young to set off the attack.

gza the genius

He hasn't been too good yet, some nice passing though and his touch has been mostly good as well. I'm not worried though, him and quite a few others seem to mostly be taking the first two games as a way to get fit which seems fair enough to me. No point going all out in a preseason friendly.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Fitness seems to be in an issue for him. I can see him having a slow start to the season

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Play him up top without fecking him around in the midfield and he will definitely score 20 + (if there are not injuries) honestly might even score 30.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He's lost considerable pace. We need to play him as a number 10. Sorta like Cantona/Sheringham. But we need an Andy Cole in the team.
I don't think he's lost "considerable" pace. Maybe not as quick as a young Rooney but he still has a lot of pace. If you're basing this on the friendly then I'd suggest not to. Players try to not injure themselves in games like that.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Still getting into his rhythm but with more pace in the team to support him, all he has to do is get in the positions and I'm sure he'll do well

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Rooney looked good with his link play yesterday, nice little touches. The issue, is he just doesn't threaten the goal enough anymore. His natural instincts appear to be that of a midfield player. Depay, for instance, who plays deeper, has a greater instinct for scoring it seems. There will be more situations, half chances, scuffed shots etc where he is looking to actually threaten the goal. Rooney seems to do it once or twice a game.

I also think it is wrong for @AttackingFlair to show a video of Rooney finishing well 6 years ago and say 'surely he can still finish like that?'. In that case, we don't have to go back nearly as far and we could say the same of RVP.

And will the caf ever dispense of this theory that Rooney has basically spent his entire career in midfield, give or take the odd game, in which he probably scored 4 each time you would think. Rooney has predominantly been a striker for his entire career, sometimes on his own, sometimes with another striker (just as the likes of Suarez, Aguero, Henry have) - and on the grand scheme of things, has played in 'midfield' very, very fleetingly. You can't classify seasons where he played just behind RVN or Saha or Smith or whoever, with 4 actual midfielders behind him as 'playing in midfield', which is what people seem to be trying to do. Now he has apparently played up front for only 2 seasons in his career, which is absolute shite.

Anyway, back to 'performances', there were certainly positives in his game last night, but if we are to insist on playing him centre forward, we could definitely do with a Pedro or Bale to help out, as Rooney spends too much time as a creator. His touch was good against San Jose though. And I'd still back him to take a presentable chance if and when it falls to him. I just don't think the if and when will be frequent enough. It isn't his game for it do so. He isn't in scoring positions/situations often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.