5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

So what do we think it would take for him to be dropped this season (no, this is not a call for him to be dropped now, since it's the bloody pre-season)?

He seemed undroppable last season, and when we saw RvP and Falcao get the chop so easily this summer (granted, we can't get rid of all our strikers and Rooney was the better of the three) it should give the impression that Rooney isn't safe. However, you just feel that he is untouchable.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So what do we think it would take for him to be dropped this season (no, this is not a call for him to be dropped now, since it's the blood pre-season)?

He seemed undroppable last season, and when we saw RvP and Falcao get the chop so easily this summer (granted, we can't get rid of all our strikers and Rooney was the better of the three) it should give the impression that Rooney isn't safe. However, you just feel that he is untouchable.
I don't think he's really untouchable because of his status at the club as such, but more simply due to the fact that he doesn't really have any genuine competition. We desperately need a new addition up front.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think he's really untouchable because of his status at the club as such, but more simply due to the fact that he doesn't really have any genuine competition. We desperately need a new addition up front.
To be fair, we have created the conditions for him to have no competition. We have sold all of his competitors, and who knows what will happen with Hernandez. As for a new recruit, it depends on who we buy. If they are not of a certain status, they will not bench Rooney regardless of how they perform I suspect. At best, we will mask his 'dropping 'as a striker by moving him from that position and dropping someone else who is an easier target and playing Rooney there instead.

And I don't think he's been as terrible as people are making out first half. Looks quite hungry in fact.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
To be fair, we have created the conditions for him to have no competition. We have sold all of his competitors, and who knows what will happen with Hernandez. As for a new recruit, it depends on who we buy. If they are not of a certain status, they will not bench Rooney regardless of how they perform I suspect. At best, we will mask his 'dropping 'as a striker by moving him from that position and dropping someone else who is an easier target and playing Rooney there instead.

And I don't think he's been as terrible as people are making out first half. Looks quite hungry in fact.
True, I don't think LVG would've foreseen last year that we were going to come into the 2015/2016 season without Falcao and RVP. Our striking options looked pretty formidable last season, compared to now, where they look fairly poor and threadbare. Pedro will be a decent attacking addition, but not a top goalscorer that we still need if Rooney doesn't perform. Although he still might, to be fair.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I said awhile ago that rooney would struggle to get 15 goals next season and was heavily slated, on this showing I stand by it.

Laughable the rooney fanboys and rooney himself thinks he has what it takes to be our main man up front. I like Rooney and he's given us great service but no way should he be starting for us at this current time. We need someone to come in a challenge him and make him fight for striker spot. He's got it far too easy at the moment.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I said awhile ago that rooney would struggle to get 15 goals next season and was heavily slated, on this showing I stand by it.

Laughable the rooney fanboys and rooney himself thinks he has what it takes to be our main man up front. I like Rooney and he's given us great service but no way should he be starting for us at this current time. We need someone to come in a challenge him and make him fight for striker spot. He's got it far too easy at the moment.
He does have it too easy, but I think he'll comfortably get 15 next season, if only for the fact that he's penalty and free kick taker.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Laughable the rooney fanboys and rooney himself thinks he has what it takes to be our main man up front
. I like Rooney and he's given us great service but no way should he be starting for us at this current time. We need someone to come in a challenge him and make him fight for striker spot. He's got it far too easy at the moment.

What will be laughable is this post and the fact you think he'll only get 15. Just had a bad preseason game but he will score at least 20 if he plays up front on his own.

Empire

He'll do fine just needs to improve on his first touch and he should be able to do what Louis van Gaal wants from his striker, don't forget Louis used Olic at Bayern, Rooney will work hard, move around a lot off the ball to keep the defenders occupied and create space that Memphis can run into, he'll also take his chances when they come.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What will be laughable is this post and the fact you think he'll only get 15. Just had a bad preseason game but he will score at least 20 if he plays up front on his own.
To be fair, it's hardly a guarantee, as such, especially if he does have a bad season, which is hardly out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I think he'll probably get somewhere between 15-25 in all competitions, but I don't think suggesting he won't is completely laughable.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He'll be ready. I'm expecting him to have a big season.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If Rooney continues this poor form from last season and takes it into the new season, I think we should drop him even if it's for Januzaj or some other player. His touch just kills every one of our attacks.

Some are saying it's preseason, you expect him to have this kind of touch but remember that he had this kind of touch for most of last season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If Rooney continues this poor form from last season and takes it into the new season, I think we should drop him even if it's for Januzaj or some other player. His touch just kills every one of our attacks.
As much as Rooney should be dropped if he's performing poorly, I'm not sure if swapping him for Januzaj would be advisable, since Januzaj's hardly an out and out striker, which is the position we're expecting Rooney to occupy.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
To be fair, it's hardly a guarantee, as such, especially if he does have a bad season, which is hardly out of the realm of possibility. Personally, I think he'll probably get somewhere between 15-25 in all competitions, but I don't think suggesting he won't is completely laughable.
Playing for United, any decent/good striker can score 20 goals playing upfront being the main - that's what I think. I think Rooney is definitely better than just decent/good and he'll easily score more than twenty if he's the main striker.

EDIT: what I found laughable that it's just his fanboys that think he can be United's main striker, as if he's some sort of has been.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Playing for United, any decent/good striker can score 20 goals playing upfront being the main - that's what I think. I think Rooney is definitely better than just decent/good and he'll easily score more than twenty if he's the main striker.
He hasn't scored more than 20 since 2011/2012, though. I know he's not always been the out and out striker in that time, especially last season, but he's still being played in an advanced role for most of the time. Even in 2013/2014, when we were largely dependent on him during Moyes' year, he didn't manage 20 in all competitions.

I see your point, and I expect Rooney may make 20, but I don't see how it's a guarantee. He's looking particularly sluggish at the moment, and while I'm sure he'll improve, to which level he'll improve to isn't guaranteed. I think Rooney's definitely looking a little bit past his best to an extent, and it's hardly guaranteed that he's going to lead the line for the entire season.

Sylar

I did laugh when he was given the MOTM. I did honestly think this would be his peak as a player. It does worry me it takes him about 4-5 games to get into full flow (when he does, he normally can go on a 5 or so games scoring streak).

Him having no competition is not a good thing though. For him and the team. If however he has games like this next season (where he doesnt do much except score and help the team win) not many will complain.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I think he will have a season like 2011/12 where he will score a good few goals but will have a good few very questionable performances - as oppose to a season like 2010/11 where his performances were brilliant (especially in big games) but he doesn't score as many goals.

Devil may care

I know I'll get shit for this but if you look at him and you look at the cannibal up top for Barcelona there is a clear gulf in quality, from pace to technique to dynamism to the ability to create something out of nothing.

Sam

His second touch is basically a tackle 90% of the time.

Great header though.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I know I'll get shit for this but if you look at him and you look at the cannibal up top for Barcelona there is a clear gulf in quality, from pace to technique to dynamism to the ability to create something out of nothing.
To me, Suarez is the best pure striker in the world right now. Nonetheless, Rooney is still a top player and most importantly, always good for a goal when played up top. That's still the most important quality I want in my striker.

Devil may care

To me, Suarez is the best pure striker in the world right now. Nonetheless, Rooney is still a top player and most importantly, always good for a goal when played up top. That's still the most important quality I want in my striker.
I think the fluidity to keep the attacking moves flowing as the focal point is just as important.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.

And it's still a shit opinion.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think the fluidity to keep the attacking moves flowing as the focal point is just as important.
It's not as if he was completely useless in that aspect. Combined with his goal-scoring threat, he's still a good option up front and there aren't too many available alternatives on the transfer market to replace him with.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
His second touch is basically a tackle 90% of the time.

Great header though.
I know, it seems like after the ball bounces off him on his clumsy first touch he has to run it down. I watch the Barcelona players cleanly receive and control the ball again and again, while Rooney is unable to do the same.

Devil may care

It's not as if he was completely useless in that aspect. Combined with his goal-scoring threat, he's still a good option up front and there aren't too many available alternatives on the transfer market to replace him with.
So many of our moves stall due to his erratic touch and average short passing game, I know options are thin right now, I just feel he's going to cause us some issues this season with the type of football we are trying to play.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You won't get any shit because it is simply the truth and anyone denying should see a doctor regarding high level of bitterness. In every single aspect, Suarez is currently better.

DarkXaero

You won't get any shit because it is simply the truth and anyone denying should see a doctor regarding high level of bitterness. In every single aspect, Suarez is currently better.
Completely agree. Even the most delusional fans of Rooney wouldn't disagree with that statement.

SoCross

Should have trained him to be a battering ram of a striker instead of fannying about as a number 10.

Djemba-Djemba

I think he will have a season like 2011/12 where he will score a good few goals but will have a good few very questionable performances - as oppose to a season like 2010/11 where his performances were brilliant (especially in big games) but he doesn't score as many goals.
Yeah I've thought something very similar to that too.

His best two goalscoring seasons were 09/10 and 11/12. In 09/10 he scored loads and he played brilliantly, he was a proper inspiring force in the team and up until he injured himself in Munich he was up there with the best players in the world. He was truly the main man at Utd.

In 11/12 he scored loads of goals but I don't think he played particularly well in most of the games. He just seemed to pop up with a goal often. Example being I remember we beat Villa 4-0 near the end of the season and Rooney scored twice so on the face of it he had a good game but if you actually watched it he was fecking awful. There were a few games like that where he'd be shite but come away with a couple of goals.

There's a chance he could replicate the 11/12 season and score loads of goals, but I don't think we'll ever seem him put in 09/10 performances again. He's lost most of that magic.

Bwuk

Yeah I've thought something very similar to that too.

His best two goalscoring seasons were 09/10 and 11/12. In 09/10 he scored loads and he played brilliantly, he was a proper inspiring force in the team and up until he injured himself in Munich he was up there with the best players in the world. He was truly the main man at Utd.

In 11/12 he scored loads of goals but I don't think he played particularly well in most of the games. He just seemed to pop up with a goal often. Example being I remember we beat Villa 4-0 near the end of the season and Rooney scored twice so on the face of it he had a good game but if you actually watched it he was fecking awful. There were a few games like that where he'd be shite but come away with a couple of goals.

There's a chance he could replicate the 11/12 season and score loads of goals, but I don't think we'll ever seem him put in 09/10 performances again. He's lost most of that magic.
Agree entirely. Rooney is nowhere near what he used to be as a player.

Loads of games like yesterday next year. Scores a goal but horrendous touch and not great performanc. That'll be ok if he can get 20+ in the league, but when was the last time he did that?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I just can't see him having a truly great season, even though he'll most certainly get goals playing consistently as a striker.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Many players are currently better than Rooney. There are plenty of better players in our team let alone mentioning the likes of Suarez and Aguero! Soon someone will quote me and mention his all time goal record but I don't really care about that. Rooney was a very good player but the Rooney from last season and this preseason so far doesn't deserve to start games.

The commentary on MUTV really pissed me off yesterday. Whenever Rooney has a shockingly bad touch they're like, "unlucky from Rooney there". Just say the truth! Say "How can a football player have such a bad touch?"

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
If he plays as a striker, he'll score 20+ goals. It's just baffling how bad his first touch is. And it's been this way for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.