g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wayne Rooney image 10

Wayne Rooney England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not surprised at all by his celebration. Was great to see though.

I recall him going wild vs Real Madrid at OT after we had taken the lead(Ramos OG), when Fergie dropped him for that game.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Came into here expecting Rooney to be getting ripped for not even getting on the pitch but people are giving him credit for celebrating our winner. Weird place, this.
Not wanting to become a body language expert but it looked like Ibra was paying him out for being in his full kit as they walked up the steps.

Happy for the guy. Would have been nice if he'd lifted the cup with the actual captain on the day but it's such a low grade grumble.

Sylar

Would like to know the moment Jose told him hes not coming on and it was Fellaini instead (and the actual words Jose used). I can imagine Jose apologising for making him get up twice and get ready lol.
But it was a great reaction to see.

I do agree that he will be remembered better in a few years (maybe 5 years time) when hes no longer playing for us.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would like to know the moment Jose told him hes not coming on and it was Fellaini instead (and the actual words Jose used). I can imagine Jose apologising for making him get up twice and get ready lol.

I do agree that he will be remembered better in a few years (maybe 5 years time) when hes no longer playing for us.
One credit I will give to Rooney is that I think he's experienced enough to understand the logic behind that decision. Disappointed, I'm sure, but he won't have taken that personally.

Sylar

One credit I will give to Rooney is that I think he's experienced enough to understand the logic behind that decision. Disappointed, I'm sure, but he won't have taken that personally.
Oh of course, team before any individual, especially with the way Southampton were crossing into our box whole game. At this stage in your career (like rooney) a trophy is a trophy by any means.
Im just always intrigued to hear what managers say in these situations (and what the players say back).

Jaybomb

Great to see him celebrating the winner and I'm delighted Jose put tactics first, over sentimentality. He could have played Rooney today as a "thank you" or whatever, but I knew Lingard was the right option and he ended up scoring.

Also I was begging for Fellaini to come on to try nicking us a goal and as soon as Zlatan scored it, I knew he would have to change the sub to defend the lead and see the game out. I don't think Moyes would have done that and thats the difference. Successful managers have to be ruthless like that. Team and result over player.

Mr Smith

Personally, I'm already over my ill will and frustration concerning him. He hasn't kicked up a fuss in response to his reduced role this season, he's no longer hindering the team by playing every week, and his more recent performances for us have actually been ok. This is almost certainly his last season, and as he's been an immense servant for us, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Not wanting to become a body language expert but it looked like Ibra was paying him out for being in his full kit as they walked up the steps.

Happy for the guy. Would have been nice if he'd lifted the cup with the actual captain on the day but it's such a low grade grumble.
I'm positive he would've been more than happy to do so, Smalling must not have wanted to do it. I'm fairly sure Rooney and Carrick have lifted one together before.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I'm positive he would've been more than happy to do so, Smalling must not have wanted to do it. I'm fairly sure Rooney and Carrick have lifted one together before.
I live in such an idyllic space to be fair.

Can you imagine the collective media w4nkfest if at the last minute Rooney had offered the cup to Ibra to raise aloft before he did? Considering how well his image is managed I half expected it to happen.

MadMike

The celebration was great to see.

This is one of those trippy pics. I fully thought it was Zlatan on Wayne's back at first, until I noticed the numbers.
If Zlatan was on Wayne's back mate, his feet would still be touching the ground

LouisDanGaal

He's the team captain and get a thumbs up for celebrating a cup winning goal?

Seriously this guy has been so bad that anything gets praised these days.
Yeah the problem with this place is Rooney getting too much praise, drives me mad.

He has been vilified by a section of the fans who want to attack him for stuff completely unrelated to performances, I get why people knock his quality and don't want him in the team, but people try to portray him as some money-grabbing everton-loving mercenary who hates united and is just here for the paycheck and has no respect from the other players. When they see him celebrate a goal they remember he might actually like the club, that's quite shocking in itself, Rooney has never shown anything but passion on the pitch or at the games.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Better than bashing own player even when he didn't even play.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah the problem with this place is Rooney getting too much praise, drives me mad.

He has been vilified by a section of the fans who want to attack him for stuff completely unrelated to performances, I get why people knock his quality and don't want him in the team, but people try to portray him as some money-grabbing everton-loving mercenary who hates united and is just here for the paycheck and has no respect from the other players. When they see him celebrate a goal they remember he might actually like the club, that's quite shocking in itself, Rooney has never shown anything but passion on the pitch or at the games.
The thing is he hasn't show that passion in the pitch myth for a long time.

I may not watch all our games, but i hardly recall him running ala keane since past moyes era

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Now you just synthesing some victim mentality in your own head in order to try and have a dig at anyone that dared criticised Rooney in the past. That's just sad.

It's nothing you make it out to be. It's simply because we have seen with many former greats how easy it is to sulk when they are phased out. Gerrard mentioned how he had to stop himself from punching Rodgers when he realised he had been dropped against United.

So it's genuine praise. But you want to use as an opportunity for cheap internet point scoring.

LouisDanGaal

Now you just synthesing some victim mentality in your own head in order to try and have a dig at anyone that dared criticised Rooney in the past. That's just sad.

It's nothing you make it out to be. It's simply because we have seen with many former greats how easy it is to sulk when they are phased out. Gerrard mentioned how he had to stop himself from punching Rodgers when he realised he had been dropped against United.

So it's genuine praise. But you want to use as an opportunity for cheap internet point scoring.
Yeah it is genuine praise, I didn't mean to take a dig at anyone other than the one person I was speaking to, I may have accidentally put in some ricochet digs when trying to defend Rooney in my post. He had somehow off the back of the celebration found a way to have a go at Rooney which annoyed me, but I may have gone into rant mode. Although lets be honest that attitude to Rooney I outline does exist amongst a lot of members, but in here its quite nice today. However this thread is 90 percent people throwing in a cheap rooney comment for point scoring just on the other side of it so not sure why you seem so offended, but that's fair enough, minus the blatantly incendiary bits I'm choosing to avoid.

I didn't know about this bolded bit, imagine if he had done it. I'm straight over to google.

K2K

Yeah it is genuine praise, I didn't mean to take a dig at anyone other than the one person I was speaking to, I may have accidentally put in some ricochet digs when trying to defend Rooney in my post. He had somehow off the back of the celebration found a way to have a go at Rooney which annoyed me, but I may have gone into rant mode. Although lets be honest that attitude to Rooney I outline does exist amongst a lot of members, but in here its quite nice today. However this thread is 90 percent people throwing in a cheap rooney comment for point scoring just on the other side of it so not sure why you seem so offended, but that's fair enough, minus the blatantly incendiary bits I'm choosing to avoid.

I didn't know about this bolded bit, imagine if he had done it. I'm straight over to google.
Fair enough, and here it is

There was a little pause, then Brendan said: 'Look, I'm desperate to get you back into the XI. But the team has done so well I'm going to go with the same lads that started the other night.'

A sudden lump formed in my throat. I looked at Brendan and, in that mad moment, I had a split- second decision to make. Do I have a go at him?

I went the other way. I went the right way. I decided to stay professional. 'No problem, fine,' I said.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...USIVE-truth-Manchester-United-stamp-fury.html

Okay maybe it was not necessarily punch, but thats the kind of entitled attitude I was talking about.

LouisDanGaal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...USIVE-truth-Manchester-United-stamp-fury.html

Okay maybe it was not necessarily punch, but thats the kind of entitled attitude I was talking about.
Nice one for the link, cheers.

It really does make you wonder how aware certain players are of their abilities and their decline, with the amount of measurable aspects of play you'd think they'd know when they aren't one of the first 11 any more and that another player may now be better even if they once were superior. On the other hand that arrogance or confidence could help them get as far as they can. Everyone knew gerrard was gone but he speaks as if he had no idea, you have to assume Rooney knows or he wouldn't have sounded out the chinese league.

wr8_utd

:'(
Van Nistlerooy did.

People are praising Rooney! I thought you'd be delighted with that.
Ruud deserved to be pissed. He'd single handedly ensured the team was not mediocre and the least he deserved was atleast 10 mins off the bench.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

That's crazy, and deluded of Gerrard. Think Rodgers had a hard time dealing with Gerrard's removal - I wonder how Klopp would cope dealing woth that?

Back of topic, Rooney's a good lad I think, and I hope he stays in the PL, it's where he belongs.

I'd love to see him lifting the FA or League Cup with Everton (so long as we're lifting the PL or CL!).

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ruud deserved to be pissed. He'd single handedly ensured the team was not mediocre and the least he deserved was atleast 10 mins off the bench.
I'm not having a go, but your default position is to always be siding the individual player rather than the collective. It's at odds with my own position, so I can see why I usually disagree with you with regards to Rooney. :lol:

Sparky10Legend

Looked chuffed to bits when we went up late, he's still got the fire.

Because i celebrate,wildly, in front of the telly (or in the stretty) when we score, does that mean im still(pushing it a tad) good enough to play in the PL?

Dont see the relevance?, he's not good enough (by a long shot) for the PL anymore, when all said and done thats all that matters. Leave the pseudo psychology to big time managers/players, people at the cutting edge of sport (how did Federer manage to win in Australia with such a horrid h2h playing on his mind), not some washed up has been.

K2K

That's crazy, and deluded of Gerrard. Think Rodgers had a hard time dealing with Gerrard's removal - I wonder how Klopp would cope dealing woth that?

Back of topic, Rooney's a good lad I think, and I hope he stays in the PL, it's where he belongs.

I'd love to see him lifting the FA or League Cup with Everton (so long as we're lifting the PL or CL!).
Why do you think they called him Stevie Me?

It's hard moving on legends, but it has to be done.

Man Utd 1:1 Bournemouth

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I've dismissed the majority of his assists this season as a comedy of errors but I'll gift him one of them for that square ball to Ibra which Ibra really should have finished.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I've dismissed the majority of his assists this season as a comedy of errors but I'll gift him one of them for that square ball to Ibra which Ibra really should have finished.
Seems fashionable for Rooney to get the blame. Zlatan was in a better position. If positions were reversed, the replies would be 'ffs Rooney, shit touch'

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Seems fashionable for Rooney to get the blame. Zlatan was in a better position. If positions were reversed, the replies would be 'ffs Rooney, shit touch'
There's plenty of material to beat Rooney with, it's daft to lose objectivity and blame him for something like that.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Top job negotiating with the ref there. Got Ibra out of a red. That's why he's the captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.