Westminster Politics

Vernon Philander

She’s definitely given up on impartiality now she’s stepping down. What a cnut.
Most sensible people have recognised that this is a Labour led initiative.

The wording of Johnson's letter also leaves a lot of ambiguity for this mess to just carry on.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Perfect timing:

@Pogue Mahone do you really not think things like this give some credence to the claims of questionable orientation from the BBC's main political correspondent?

It's pretty blatant that she's deeply tied in with Boris, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, if it doesn't come in exchange for favourable coverage...but the way she characterises the information that comes from him is invariably more helpful to him, whether it's explaining away a shitshow or advocating for a proposition. Don't you think she could have characterised this in all sorts of ways, but the way she did just propagated his position, while explicitly pouring cold water on the opposition's position, and that fits a discernible pattern?

Jericholyte2

WOW!!! Well THAT was an interesting PMQs!!!

I think Starmer has taken some coaching from Angela Rainer because he went in hard on Boris for the lobbying/consultancy scandal. I loved it!

...and the best that Boris could offer was a teenager-esque response to the Speaker when challenged about accusing Starmer of 'mishconduct'.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@Pogue Mahone do you really not think things like this give some credence to the claims of questionable orientation from the BBC's main political correspondent?

It's pretty blatant that she's deeply tied in with Boris, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, if it doesn't come in exchange for favourable coverage...but the way she characterises the information that comes from him is invariably more helpful to him, whether it's explaining away a shitshow or advocating for a proposition. Don't you think she could have characterised this in all sorts of ways, but the way she did just propagated his position, while explicitly pouring cold water on the opposition's position, and that fits a discernible pattern?
She’s obviously a wrong ‘un. Not sure I’ve ever defended her?

Brwned

She’s obviously a wrong ‘un. Not sure I’ve ever defended her?
Fair enough! My impression is you’re usually pretty harsh on the folks who criticise the BBC for being biased, and usually those claims of bias are directly or indirectly informed by something stupid ol’ Laura says. As the political editor she tends to represent the BBC’s political slant, especially for her critics. If you think she’s a butter too then I missed the nuance!

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair enough! My impression is you’re usually pretty harsh on the folks who criticise the BBC for being biased, and usually those claims of bias are directly or indirectly informed by something stupid ol’ Laura says. As the political editor she tends to represent the BBC’s political slant, especially for her critics. If you think she’s a butter too then I missed the nuance!
I don’t think any media organisation is without bias but the BBC does a better job than most. I don’t even know where you’d begin with hiring a team of political experts that have no preference towards any one political party or another. What kind of person decides to have a career in politics without having any kind of personal political preferences?!?

Brwned

I don’t think any media organisation is without bias but the BBC does a better job than most. I don’t even know where you’d begin with hiring a team of political experts that have no preference towards any one political party or another. What kind of person decides to have a career in politics without having any kind of personal political preferences?!?
Ah, come on! Of course she should have political preferences, but it’s part of her job as a journalist to suspend those preferences, and it’s an essential component of fulfilling her role well if she’s the face of an organisation that wants to describe itself as the most neutral! If she wants to use her political preferences to enrich her material then she should be working for the spectator! And if the BBC are comfortable with her being the face of their political reporting, then it raises questions about how important neutral coverage is to them. That’s at the heart of the bias debate!

RedChip

Watching clips of pmqs. Did the speaker almost say he expects "better bollocks" from both sides?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
She has shown bad judgment in the past. I remember she mentioned that the Tories were well ahead on the postal vote during the 2019 election campaign, despite it being illegal for her to do so. That being said, I think that if she were a man, she would not have got half the flack she has received.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
She has shown bad judgment in the past. I remember she mentioned that the Tories were well ahead on the postal vote during the 2019 election campaign, despite it being illegal for her to do so. That being said, I think that if she were a man, she would not have got half the flack she has received.
Her judgment is perfect. Just stayed close enough to the line to plausibly remain in her role.

Jericholyte2

Government officials have given an update that they haven’t lost the minutes from that meeting, but that they just don’t know where they are right now…

fecking laughable how they treat rules and regulations!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Government officials have given an update that they haven’t lost the minutes from that meeting, but that they just don’t know where they are right now…

fecking laughable how they treat rules and regulations!
Since we're now doing pictures and GIFs...

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Honestly if I ever become PM with an 80 seat Majority I’m creating a bill where all former Home Secretary’s named Priti Patel are deported to the moon.