g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Westminster Politics

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
From Popb!tch last week:

Newsrooms all around Fleet Street have been abuzz with a story this week about an amusing last minute deadline panic at the Daily Mail.

Late last week, Mail editor Ted Verity came into possession of a bombshell photo showing Boris Johnson, his mother, his sister and little baby Wilf out in the open air at No.10. The Mail wrote up a big front page story about how the photo was PROOF that Boris had done no wrong and that the police are conducting a baseless witch hunt against him.

It was all laid out, ready to go to press, when one of the hacks looking over it piped up to ask if the four of them shouldn’t have been much further apart – given that social distancing rules were in place at the time. Sure enough, the picture they were about to splash across their front page not only proved that Boris Johnson broke the rules he put in place, but that he still doesn’t understand them now.

Because the super secret source of the photo, who thought its publication would fully exonerate Boris, was… Boris.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Call that fighting.
Honestly I despair at the self centered all about me and fxxk the rest of you politics.
While we are all struggling, Boris and the rest of his support are only interested in whether they are going to get an honour. An honour for doing what exactly. No wonder the country is in such a state.

jeff_goldblum

In the vast majority of public sector jobs you would get canned immediately if you used your position to get your friends and family jobs. Parliament is an absolute racket of people doling out public money to their partners, siblings and kids but this is another level altogether.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In the vast majority of public sector jobs you would get canned immediately if you used your position to get your friends and family jobs. Parliament is an absolute racket of people doling out public money to their partners, siblings and kids but this is another level altogether.
Ex school teacher, actual moron and MP since 2019 Jonathon Gullis is now worth £3-5m apparently.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I don’t know if you work in the public sector, but I do and I can assure you it’s rife and nothing happens.

jeff_goldblum

I don’t know if you work in the public sector, but I do and I can assure you it’s rife and nothing happens.
I do and whilst recruitment isn't perfectly free of opportunities for bias, it's a damn sight better than most workplaces. No-one in the Civil Service, no matter how senior, could just unilaterally decide to hire their spouse or child to work as their assistant like MPs routinely do.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I do and whilst recruitment isn't perfectly free of opportunities for bias, it's a damn sight better than most workplaces. No-one in the Civil Service, no matter how senior, could just unilaterally decide to hire their spouse or child to work as their assistant like MPs routinely do.
Yeah, fair point

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Boris is a low life.
He’s undoubtedly a scumbag but isn’t what he’s saying here possibly true?

Sunak is saying the committee got rid of Dorries and co. because of an unspecified reason, he just accept that decision. But it’s been suggested they didn’t qualify because they didn’t follow a procedure, and that’s because Sunak didn’t advise them they needed them to follow that procedure…making it a mere formality for the committee to reject them. I mean, they obviously don’t deserve to be nominated, but it sounds like Sunak dealt with it sneakily, and doesn’t even want to take ownership of that decision. Which if true, it makes him seem a bit weak.

Why not just tell them that being a Boris Johnson sycophant doesn’t qualify you for the House Of Lords? Other than drawing attention to the blatant hypocrisy around the ther nominees…

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Ex school teacher, actual moron and MP since 2019 Jonathon Gullis is now worth £3-5m apparently.
I've wanted to create some form of net wealth tracker for MPs, ideally if their net wealth increases by a few percentage points above inflation per year then it triggers a by-election.

Jericholyte2

On the day when we’re getting combined temps of over 30’C combined with thunderstorms and flash flooding, Suella Braverman decides to have a go at Caroline Lucas for ‘doom mongering’ as a Green MP.

…oh and she yet again refused to correct the record about the asylum backlog and the deputy Speaker had no issue with it.

fecking pathetic!