Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
Still doesn't address a single problem we have in the squad. Possibly made us even more one dimensional.

Good signing otherwise, even it's just to stop Arsenal getting their hands on him. He's always come across a bit of a prat though, so he better tone down his arrogance unless he can back it up with performances.
Yes it does, just look at our goal tally last season, we're clearly lacking a top class goal scorer. Also it's not as if Mourinho isn't going to address other areas because of this signing, which was free.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still doesn't address a single problem we have in the squad. Possibly made us even more one dimensional.
Baffling thing to say. Our current starting striker is 18 years old. Good as he may be, he can't lead the line for 50 odd matches.

TheReligion

Abusive
I find it strange that anyone with a footballing brain would not welcome having Ibrahimovic at the club. He is physically fit and technically superb coming in off the back of one of his best ever seaons. Even if he does not deliver anything near his best next season and struggles in the PL what he will bring to the squad and the club off the pitch will be equally important.

The guy is a proven winner, much like our new manager. He has charisma, attitude and that arrogance we have missed so much post SAF. So many times last season threw points away wilting under pressure. Can you imagine Zlatan on that coach away at West Ham or being on the pitch when we were knocked out of Europa against Liverpool? Our younger players will learn so much from him both technically and mentally.

Brilliant signing in my eyes and brings so much more than goals. Just what we need and for 12 months on a free (he wil pay his own wages in merchandise) we would be mad to say no.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
You guys debating his age miss a certain, very important aspect: At 34, he's fitter than he's ever been! If you think he's slow, well, you're in for a surprise next season, let me just say that...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People worrying about his age, have you seen the video of him messing about in training, basically catching the ball on his chest and doing the limbo at the same time?

His body is not a 34 year old body. Falcao or RVP had elderly bodies. He is not a slow runner, he's very strong and technically brilliant. Yes he won't be running away from defences like Rashford could, but his movement means he won't have to. The worst case scenario is he doesn't play up to his standard - fine bench him and play Rashford, let him leave after 1 year.

There really is no downside to this deal, commercially it'll be fantastic for the club too.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Raiola's fee will be a problem. It was a problem with hazard when we signed him although different agent. He created problems with pogba, i just hope discussions go easy this time. I hope we can also offer him money to sign pogba.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Good signing otherwise, even it's just to stop Arsenal getting their hands on him. He's always come across a bit of a prat though, so he better tone down his arrogance unless he can back it up with performances.
A good CF would adress the single biggest problem we have as goal scoring wasn't exactly one of our strong points last year.
And how does it make us more one dimensional when he would bring us something completely unique? He's a monster physically and has better feet than any of our other attacking players. If things get desperate he's a great hoofing target as well + he can come down deep as a nr.10 and set up attacks.

TheReligion

Abusive
Raiola's fee will be a problem. It was a problem with hazard when we signed him although different agent. He created problems with pogba, i just hope discussions go easy this time. I hope we can also offer him money to sign pogba.
I think any agent would stuggle to hamper this deal - Mourinho wants Zlatan and Zlatan wants Mourinho.. and United.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He'll be fantastic player to be around the likes of Martial, Memphis and Rashford. I'm not overly bothered about his age or what he'll contribute on the pitch. Just take examples of managers. They do not contribute on the pitch but their intelligence, characters and mentality make their teams succeed. I personally think Zlatan's contribution will go far beyond what he achieves on the pitch.

I'm not personally concerned about his age or if he'll score 20+ goals. His experience, character, leadership, and winning mentality should provide a great platform for the team and youngsters to move to another level.

Mani

I think this wouldn't be issue with Woody or Jose,paying agent fee/commision,but if its SAF it would have been treated differently.

podurban2

I just can't see Raiola having an impact on Zlatan's career at this stage. If Zlatan has made up his mind and wants to go to the PL, he will. I also understand that they are best buddies, so Raiola will probably respect Z's will.

TheReligion

Abusive
He'll be fantastic player to be around the likes of Martial, Memphis and Rashford. I'm not overly bothered about his age or what he'll contribute on the pitch. Just take examples of managers. They do not contribute on the pitch but their intelligence, characters and mentality make their teams succeed. I personally think Zlatan's contribution will go far beyond what he achieves on the pitch.

I'm not personally concerned about his age or if he'll score 20+ goals. His experience, character, leadership, and winning mentality should provide a great platform for the team and youngsters to move to another level.
Yes my thoughts exactly (although I have a feeling he will do just fine for us on the pitch)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He didn't really created problem with Pogba, the problem was with his brother if the rumours were correct. Now concerning Raiola, unlike a lot of agents, he doesn't take a cut on his clients bonus fees and apparently that's why he is disliked by clubs, because he believes that the players shouldn't share their bonuses with him.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I find it strange that anyone with a footballing brain would not welcome having Ibrahimovic at the club. He is physically fit and technically superb coming in off the back of one of his best ever seaons. Even if he does not deliver anything near his best next season and struggles in the PL what he will bring to the squad and the club off the pitch will be equally important.

The guy is a proven winner, much like our new manager. He has charisma, attitude and that arrogance we have missed so much post SAF. So many times last season threw points away wilting under pressure. Can you imagine Zlatan on that coach away at West Ham or being on the pitch when we were knocked out of Europa against Liverpool? Our younger players will learn so much from him both technically and mentally.

Brilliant signing in my eyes and brings so much more than goals. Just what we need and for 12 months on a free (he wil pay his own wages in merchandise) we would be mad to say no.
Nail and head.

We started last pre-season by selling 2 proven goalscorers in RVP and Hernandez, claiming that Rooney would be our 20 goal striker; we ended the season with an 18 year old up front and Wayne Rooney in CM. How on Earth does it not address some of our problems?

Add to that, we were seen as such a weak side that we played an inferior player to others in the squad (Fellaini) to add height, fight and presence, now we have a man mountain.

Jose has to get top four next season. Zlatan is a great signing in terms of his goal scoring which we have been sincerely lacking. It's a short term booking for the minimum of targets. Personally I think this one will work.
Jose won't be thinking about top 4, you can be sure of that, same with Zlatan. Their target will be a title challenge, how realistic that is all depends the other signings we bring in. RW + a top top CB will go a long way to that.

Classical Mechanic

Tottenham Hotspur are among the clubs who have expressed an interest in signing the Swede but he has let them know that United are the only Premier League club he is interested in signing for.

@GlastonSpur

Zlatan only plays for big clubs and that is why any Spurs player might make the jump from Spurs to United, CL or not.

OneUnited24

Arghhhh... the frustration of these Falcao comments.

Falcao scored 2 goals the season before joining United, Zlatan has just scored 50!
When we signed Falcao a lot here (and in the media) considered to be world class, albeit coming back from a bad injury. Ibrah has spent most of his career in Italy and France, two leagues below the likes of the PL/La Liga

People said when Falcao joined that he would score a bucket load with RvP and that didnt happen. I have less confidence in a 35 YO coming to the league for the first time... No matter how many people say "hes still world class".

Needham

Worried he'll get injured trying to get his head through the door.

Man-United

So do we all agree now that Zlatan is 35 in october? Bit tired that age thing. He's never been in better form.

When we signed Falcao a lot here (and in the media) considered to be world class, albeit coming back from a bad injury. Ibrah has spent most of his career in Italy and France, two leagues below the likes of the PL/La Liga
So much wrong with this post @OneUnited24. Falcao being considered World Class after scoring 11 goals in his first season in the French league followed by 2 goals the next season and a big injury was ridiculous. Falcao is not remotely comparable to Zlatan coming here who has just scored 50 goals, is in the best shape of his life and who boasts 12 goals in his last 20 Champions League games.

People said when Falcao joined that he would score a bucket load with RvP and that didnt happen.
Once again, pure hope, based on no evidence in the real World. Just a hope that he might rediscover something he'd so obviously lost.

podurban2

People said when Falcao joined that he would score a bucket load with RvP and that didnt happen. I have less confidence in a 35 YO coming to the league for the first time... No matter how many people say "hes still world class".
Falcao was 29 when he came here. It was not an age thing, it was an INJURY thing. The age discussion is so annoying, Ibra is in prime form. Unless he gets injured in the Euros there should be nothing to worry about regarding his physical shape.

stevoc

Couldn't disagree with you more. Won a bunch of titles in Italy and France when there was little to no competition. It's not impressive at all.
Fair enough if you think that mate, i might actually be inclined to agree that Giggs 13 titles were much harder to win.

But having said that whatever the circumstances to win 13 titles in 15 years in 4 countries and 5 different clubs for me is very impressive.

Overall Giggs has a much more impressive trophy haul though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Falcao scored 2 goals the season before joining United, Zlatan has just scored 50!
He scored 2 goals the month before joining United, he'd only had one full season at Monaco.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
One of the things I love most about his guy is how much of his game is about the team and not the individual. And it's because of the little things that he does. Most of the time when a player scores a tap in after a team mate does most of the work, they'll be off like a shot to celebrate and show off. But the first thing Zlatan usually does is point to whoever assisted him and recognise the effort they've put in, often going towards them instead of having everyone else chase him to celebrate.

What I'm trying to say is that essentially he's a proper leader. He's arrogant and selfish when he needs to be but he always puts the team first.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

No he didn't. Falcao scored 2 goals in the first 3 games for Monaco the SAME season before he signed for us on deadline day. He played the first 3 games for Monaco before we signed him.

He scored 11 goals in 19 games the season before he signed for us.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Damn, it looks like you all will be having him. I'm certain he'll be a success. If not, I'm very sure he'll be entertaining.

So do we all agree now that Zlatan is 35 in october? Bit tired that age thing. He's never been in better form.
He won't be worse than Rooney, despite his age!

Man-United

The season before he joined us Falcao scored 9 goals, 0 assists in 17 games in the "poor" French league. Zlatan scored 38 goals, 13 assists in 31 games.

Man-United

Damn, it looks like you all will be having him. I'm certain he'll be a success. If not, I'm very sure he'll be entertaining.

He won't be worse than Rooney, despite his age!
True. And the thing is Zlatan wasn't over played when he was young like Rooney was, playing PL football most games since age of 17. Zlatan could go on and play two-three more years at a high level I would think.

podurban2

Couldn't disagree with you more. Won a bunch of titles in Italy and France when there was little to no competition. It's not impressive at all.
I think you are in a very small majority thinking so. Italy was very competitive back in the mid 00's, and Ibra was in the forefront of that league. Wherever and whenever he played he won. He also won it in Barcelona, although people will only remember his dire CL performances. Sure the French league is not competitive, but Zlatan is head and shoulders above everyone else there. PSG would have been nothing today without him, and that's a feat not many players can brag about. To say his career is not impressive is absurd. I really question whether you have followed football or not in the last 10 years.

No he didn't. Falcao scored 2 goals in the first 3 games for Monaco the SAME season before he signed for us on deadline day. He played the first 3 games for Monaco before we signed him.

He scored 11 goals in 19 games the season before he signed for us.
Yup, read those stats wrong again... tough morning :)

9 league goals in 17 games for Monaco wasn't great though for a player like him in that league, and it was followed by an ACL injury that basically put an end to him. Zlatan has just scored 31 league goals in 30 games and is in better shape than ever.

The whole comparison with buying a guy in perfect physical shape who has just scored a career high 50 goals is a silly one.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

So true. People comparing him to Falcao are way off the mark. This guy is still world class. Imagine him benefiting from Martial and Rashford's pace around him :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.