Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

What about Martial's development. Does Rashford deserve more chances than Martial as number 9?

Also, does Rashford's development get priority over winning the league?

If playing Ibra or Martial is better for the team, I would pick them every time over Rashford. In fact, if Ibra turns out to be good, I would only play the others in his spot when he needs a rest.

Players come and go, the team is what matters.
Some good points in that argument. I definitely understand them but I foresee others disagreeing.

Marcelinho87

What about Martial's development. Does Rashford deserve more chances than Martial as number 9?

If playing Ibra or Martial is better for the team, I would pick them every time over Rashford. In fact, if Ibra turns out to be good, I would only play the others in his spot when he needs a rest.

You didn't pitch any of these scenarios though, obviously you play your best 11 that are available at the time.

There will be plenty of game time available to Rashford even if Ibra is scoring by the bucket load.

And for what it is worth, I think Martial is better suited to being a "Wing-Forward"

Fortis Mente

Martial's best position is on the left.

We need to give Rashford plenty of game time as it will be beneficial for the team especially in the long-term.

Bojan11

We need to give Rashford plenty of game time as it will be beneficial for the team especially in the long-term.
No we don't.

This isn't Rashford FC. Rashford should only be in the team if he is scoring goals regularly as that is what strikers are judged on.

We need to worry about the current. As we haven't challenged for the league in three seasons and that isn't good enough for a club our size.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial's best position is on the left.

We need to give him game time but at his age it means 25-30 games not 50. Even Hernandez wasn't playing all the time during his great seasons.

Edit: Substitutions included.

wr8_utd

:'(
Zlatan is a bit of a big game bottler in the CL. We're not in the CL so that's not an issue.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Let's agree Mourinho will prepare both the short-term and the mid-term.

For example, with Chelsea, he acquired very young players like Lassana Diarra at the age of 19 who learned the job with Makélélé there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Martial has played most of the season, and had most of his best performances, playing on the left. The idea would be for him to continue in that role, while having Zlatan or Rashford playing up front. Occasionally Rashford might also play on the right, or Rashford might play up front with Zlatan in behind him. I'm fairly sure that the 'plan' would be for our strongest 11 to be Zlatan up front and Rashford on the bench. But it is important to give Rashford enough games over the course of the season to continue to grow and improve so that he would be ready (if he's shown he deserves it) to be our main striker in a year or two when Zlatan leaves.

Oneunited26

Can we please stop with the "PL quality" bulls***?.. It's just a terrible argument full stop. What exactly is it about the PL that makes it so difficult for players who have never played there?
Does Cleverley, Milner, Routledge and the rest of the completely generic non world class players somehow become unstoppable forces the minute they play against someone who is not from the British isles and is doing their first PL season?

Apparently age is more of a factor than actual quality. (unless you've played in the PL before of course, then age doesn't matter at all, only how good you are)
I agree

Is the PL more competitive? or is it the top teams are completly average? giving the other PL teams a better chance at taking points off the top teams, I say the latter. When teams like Leicester are winning the PL, you got to question what the hell has happened to the top teams. Liverpool were found out in the Europa league final, the top PL teams all were found more than beatable in the CL they were inept it was laughable. Is the PL competitive? yes, but it helps the midtable teams when the state of the top teams are no better than any midtable team. Lets look at united's goalscoring, record 49 goals tied on points with man city, the same team that got the furthest in the CL, and still lost to a real Madrid side who had changed manager half way through the season, and that says it all about how poor the top teams in the PL are, even at Madrid's averageness they are still better than the PL's finest. We will see next season how both Leicester and spurs cope in the CL, because none of the PL are on the same wave length has Spain, Italy and Germany's finest, even spain's 5th or 6th best team could easily outplay our best teams

Dobbs

Can we please stop with the "PL quality" bulls***?.. It's just a terrible argument full stop. What exactly is it about the PL that makes it so difficult for players who have never played there?
Get in touch with that big bunch of top class players who initially struggled to adapt or never did.

Fortis Mente

No we don't.

This isn't Rashford FC. Rashford should only be in the team if he is scoring goals regularly as that is what strikers are judged on.

We need to worry about the current. As we haven't challenged for the league in three seasons and that isn't good enough for a club our size.
It would be stupid to just focus on achieving short-term success and not think about the future. Rashford is the future of this club so he must be given plenty of game time so he can continue to develop.

Fortis Mente

We need to give him game time but at his age it means 25-30 games not 50. Even Hernandez wasn't playing all the time during his great seasons.

Edit: Substitutions included.
I agree 25-30 games is perfect for a player of his age.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
It would be stupid to just focus on achieving short-term success and not think about the future. Rashford is the future of this club so he must be given plenty of game time so he can continue to develop.
This is not Rashford FC. What if there's a better striker talent on the market when we replace Ibra? Should we still play Rashford rather than going for that player?

We don't owe Rashford anything. What matters is that we win the league as soon as possible.

Bojan11

How do you know he is the future of this club? Januzaj was called that two seasons ago. He plays in a position that is tough because if he's not scoring then everybody will start to question him.

Hence why many big clubs don't have 18 or 19 year olds as their strikers. You could accept inconsistency on the wings or in CM. I feel CB and ST are the two unforgiving positions. Especially if you want to challenge for the league.

People are too fixed about youth development. Fergie certainly didn't give a toss about it in his latter years and was still winning.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
This is not Rashford FC. What if there's a better striker talent on the market when we replace Ibra? Should we still play Rashford rather than going for that player?

We don't owe Rashford anything. What matters is that we win the league as soon as possible.
Agreed, people want Giggs manager too, you don't win trophies on sentimentality.

Rashford is a good young player, but things can go stale in a season for a youth player, they can burn out, have a bad inconsistent run... it happens, he has to prove himself against even the very best in the world.

Maybe get Scholes back too for the third time?

mbb8

Bullshit. He isn't Messi. He's just a talented prospect. This obsession with having an academy star is disturbing. Rashford is going to have a ton of growing pains as team get tape on him and his tendencies get noted. This talk of sacrificing our success for him is absurd.

Oneunited26

Bullshit. He isn't Messi. He's just a talented prospect. This obsession with having an academy star is disturbing. Rashford is going to have a ton of growing pains as team get tape on him and his tendencies get noted. This talk of sacrificing our success for him is absurd.
Its the same argument some were using to keep VG, he plays youngsters, yet when everyone started to get fit, VG played the same guys

Rashford is still going to have inconsistency to his game, so its important that area is strengthened, rooney is past it, we need martial on the wing so we defiantly needed a striker. With zlaten's goalscoring record, and being injury free, it was a signing that could not be passed up.

stevoc

Clearly you don't need to have played with/against Tevez for five years to learn that about him. A handful of training sessions and it would be evident.
You know this how?

A handful of training sessions are all you need to examine another players game and determine how to nullify it, come on mate.

I just think it's a very tenuous benefit. As we've agreed what a footballer really needs to succeed can't be taught. Only experience and practice can bring that. The bits that can be passed on are just so small I don't see much in it. If anything Rashford will know a bit more about the weaknesses of Stones, Demichelis etc given he's recently played against them
Yes small bits and pieces of advice, get enough good ones and over time they can help a young player if he's open and willing to learn.

Ibrahimovic at the age of 35 will have played many games at the highest levels of football in 4 countries, against many different types of defenders with many different styles. If you seriously think a young player like Rashford can learn nothing of worth from someone like that. Then fair enough thats your opinion but i disagree, as would most people who have ever worked in even more run of the mill lines of work where many things can be learned from people who have been doing a particular job for much longer than you have.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Even Barca gently eased Messi in.

He wasn't even in the matchday squad for the 2006 UCL final.

Dobbs

You know this how?

A handful of training sessions are all you need to examine another players game and determine how to nullify it, come on mate.

Yes small bits and pieces of advice, get enough good ones and over time they can help a young player if he's open and willing to learn.

Ibrahimovic at the age of 35 will have played many games at the highest levels of football in 4 countries, against many different types of defenders with many different styles. If you seriously think a young player like Rashford can learn nothing of worth from someone like that. Then fair enough thats your opinion but i disagree, as would most people who have ever worked in even more run of the mill lines of work where many things can be learned from people who have been doing a particular job for much longer than you have.
Mate it doesn't take 5 years to work out Tevez likes to put his hand on you. If you can't pick up on that after he's repeatedly done it over a few training sessions you're not much of a footballer.

Also nulify? I remember Tevez doing quite well against. With Ferdinand in the team. I remember him actually beating Ferdinand to a cross to score against us.

There's never any use comparing a regular job to football. Our jobs don't rely on innate talent and instinct.

Fortis Mente

He's not Messi but he's an exceptionally talented player that needs game time so he can continue to develop. Who said anything about sacrificing our success for him? I believe he will be a huge part of our future success.

Man-United

He's not Messi but he's an exceptionally talented player that needs game time so he can continue to develop. Who said anything about sacrificing our success for him? I believe he will be a huge part of our future success.
Why not do a Michael Owen on him and ruin him by letting him play 50+ games next season? Would be fecking stupid.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Even Barca gently eased Messi in.

He wasn't even in the matchday squad for the 2006 UCL final.
Not sure if serious, but back then Messi was injured, that's why he wasn't in the squad, not because they've tried to ease him in.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Of course it is, otherwise there wouldn't be teachers/tutors/instructors in any field passing on their knowledge.

Here's a good example football related i remembered of one older player passing on knowledge to a younger one.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...rio-ferdinand-chat-the-secret-of-chris-853977
He didn't mention Rio letting him use his experience. You can learn from people but can't lay claim to their experience, it's personal.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I know that United fans are excited about this.. and that's understandable, but I think it has a touch of Falcao about it to be honest.

It's telling that no CL club is wiling to spend 300k a week on him despite many looking for top strikers.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Are people really concerned about a guy in his mid-30's hindering the development of a teenager? What meds are you on, because I'd like to get detached from reality for a bit too...?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I know that United fans are excited about this.. and that's understandable, but I think it has a touch of Falcao about it to be honest.

It's telling that no CL club is wiling to spend 300k a week on him despite many looking for top strikers.
Or perhaps it’s the other way around, Zlatan wanting to play for United and United only?

Red Stone

Which clubs are looking for a top striker while having the money to spend that much on a single player's wages?

Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern and City have their strikers. PSG are out of the question. The only realistic Champions League club left is Arsenal, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.