Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Feck it, I'll probably buy the home and away jersey. I've a friend who's a massive Zlatan fan, he'll probably buy it despite not supporting any team in England.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
While I kinda disagree with as-95, I don't think you can prove it won't change with Zlatan here. He's a seriously liked character, and *arguably) the first world class player we've bought in years.
I'm not saying he will improve our shirt sales massively, but saying he won't is a bit pre-mature.
When you look at how many shirts we sell worldwide (around three million) the difference becomes negligible. If you think of

a) How many of those shirts won't have a name on at all
b) How many of those shirts will have other players names on
c) How many of those shirts that have Ibrahimovic on would have been purchased with another name

it becomes silly to discuss the difference in shirt sales. Depay was the fourteenth best selling shirt in the world last year. How much more do you think he made for the club?

(EDIT: Some sources suggest Depay was the third best selling shirt in the world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...les-world-Lionel-Messi-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html )

RC89

The joke is what the forum became when every second post was a shit reaction gif or meme.

The kermit ones used to be funny but as the forum grew people ruined it.
TBF, I found a good few of them really funny, especially the Kermit ones but that was years ago when maybe it didn't get out of hand. I remember finding it so funny and unbelievable that people actually made Kermit puppets with a gaping a-hole :lol:

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
What number will he wear?

The club will want to milk shirt sales, so I reckon he will take Januzaj's #11.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
When you look at how many shirts we sell worldwide (around three million) the difference becomes negligible. If you think of

a) How many of those shirts won't have a name on at all
b) How many of those shirts will have other players names on
c) How many of those shirts that have Ibrahimovic on would have been purchased with another name

it becomes silly to discuss the difference in shirt sales. Depay was the fourteenth best selling shirt in the world last year. How much more do you think he made for the club?

(EDIT: Some sources suggest Depay was the third best selling shirt in the world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...les-world-Lionel-Messi-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html )
I didn't take his post that time to actually be referring to shirt sales but more how he helps our brand as a whole. It might not have a huge impact as some are saying but it's the type of thing that helps us keep a continued global presence and in turn allows us to get the huge sponsorship deals.

stevoc

Some of the posters in this thread are thinking extremely short term. The fact that Adidas receives the monetary gain from our shirt sales doesn’t mean we won’t benefit from it too. These two factors are not mutually exclusive at all.

Big name signings like Zlatan will allow us to sit in the driving seat next time we’re negotiating with Nike/Adidas or our new shirt sponsor.

Some may argue that we just signed new shirt deals, but my counter argument to that is that exceptional sales would give us the opportunity to renew the shirt deal early. Chelsea proved that this is a realistic possibility with their early renewal.

A reinvigorated Manchester United with a World Class manager signing Big-name players like Zlatan is a sponsors dream. Adidas may earn the money from the shirt sales, but we will benefit in the long term when we are sitting at the negotiating table with them (and other sponsors) providing evidence of our commercial value and why we deserve a record breaking new sponsorship.
I'm an optimistic guy and think we could maybe get 2 good years from Ibrahimovic but he won't be around when we are re-negotiating our kit deal with Adidas or Nike mate.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I'm an optimistic guy and think we could maybe get 2 good years from Ibrahimovic but he won't be around when we are re-negotiating our kit deal with Adidas or Nike mate.
He won't but the fact is they will see how well we did with his jersey sales this year and the next and will keep that mind when renegotiating.

macheda14

In among all this celebrating from the majority of posters, I'd like to think about @macheda14. He had a season ticket for the last three years at Old Trafford (Moyes and LVG X2) before moving from Manchester to move to London. He'll now miss Mourinho, Zlatan and everything else for next season.
I am a walking definition of the term 'bittersweet'. On one level how can I not be excited for the next season, on the other I hope I saw the last time United finished in the top half of the table. feck the last three years, what is life?

Bruno8

Unless Neymar, Messi, Bale or Ronaldo have a shock transfer to PL, Zlatan will be the biggest signing this window. And we got him for free.
In terms of the name yes he probably is but whats more important is what he will deliver after the signing. Falcao/Di maria/ Veron were also very big signings but it went south

RDCR07

In terms of the name yes he probably is but whats more important is what he will deliver after the signing. Falcao/Di maria/ Veron were also very big signings but it went south
Are you always this pessimistic? You aren't exactly thrilled with us signing Mkhi as well.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Yes the same as the players from the class of 92 who regularly went into the crowd kicking fans because of Cantona's influence.

If you want to find negatives, you will be able to find negatives.
Errr who said those were negatives? We need those now.. :devil:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Although I am very wary of the upcoming season, I'm at least trying to be positive. And the football I've seen over the last two years at OT has been anything but a dream.
Just pulling your leg mate, knew you'd get on board eventually. #daretoTwigg

stevoc

He won't but the fact is they will see how well we did with his jersey sales this year and the next and will keep that mind when renegotiating.
Ah yeah fair point mate, we will take note of it and during negotiations with Nike/Adidas in 2024 if things are going south we can pull out that trump card.

United: ''Well we are disappointed with the terms you are currently offering but we are confident after you see this little gem of information, that you will want to increase your offer. (Pulls out piece of folded paper, clears throat) In 2016-17 after we signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic our shirt sales increased by a whopping 6.7-5.8% for 18 months.

(Refolds piece of paper smugly) Whats your offer now then eh?''

Nike/Adidas: ''Does Zlatan Ibrahimovic play for you now?''

United: ''No of course not he's 43.''

Nike/Adidas: ''Oh ok, our offer is the same as before then.''

United: ''Shit.''

Seriously though mate i honestly don't think the signing of Ibrahimovic will effect our negotiating power in sponsorship deals that much in the near future let alone in a decade. Yes it will be a positive and give us a boost but not as much as some seem to think.

Oo0AahCantona

I think he will get us around 15 goals next year, but more importantly will galvanise the squad with some winning mentality.

red thru&thru

About shirt sales...this guy has more IG followers than the club does...almost double.

So, he will naturally bring over some Zlatan fans that haven't an associated club. Also, we all have a 'Foreign team', which we usually chose because of our favourite player, he'll bring in some of those too!

dasty

I just wanted to wait to be sure that this supposed transfer was true before giving my opinion on it.

I'm not happy having recruited him for few reasons.

The first, has been shown by his tweet. Since when a player announces himself to a club, rather than the club itself. Whenever he went, he felt greater than the club and that's an absolute disgrace and a lack of respect.

Secondly, this guy has never excelled in big games, against top opponents and that’s why we need. We can sum up it by strong against the weak and weak against the strong.

And the last, this guy is 34 and what is exactly the club’s philosophy by recuiting him ? Just showing that we’re not good enough to attract a real striker ?

I’m not happy about him. Scoring 50 goals with PSG in this French L1….. I bet he won’t score more than 10 goals this season
Hi, how much do you want to bet?

RDCR07

Ah yeah fair point mate, we will take note of it and during negotiations with Nike/Adidas in 2024 if things are going south we can pull out that trump card.

United: ''Well we are disappointed with the terms you are currently offering but we are confident after you see this little gem of information, that you will want to increase your offer. (Pulls out piece of folded paper, clears throat) In 2016-17 after we signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic our shirt sales increased by a whopping 6.7-5.8% for 18 months.

(Refolds piece of paper smugly) Whats your offer now then eh?''

Nike/Adidas: ''Does Zlatan Ibrahimovic play for you now?''

United: ''No of course not he's 43.''

Nike/Adidas: ''Oh ok, our offer is the same as before then.''

United: ''Shit.''

Seriously though mate i honestly don't think the signing of Ibrahimovic will effect our negotiating power in sponsorship deals that much in the near future let alone in a decade. Yes it will be a positive and give us a boost but not as much as some seem to think.
Well I didn't mean like that. I didn't mean Zlatan will be specifically used in those negotiations. I meant we will be capable of proving to adidas that we can sell jerseys anywhere as long as we sign the right player because of our fan base all over the world.

RDCR07

I just wanted to wait to be sure that this supposed transfer was true before giving my opinion on it.

The first, has been shown by his tweet. Since when a player announces himself to a club, rather than the club itself. Whenever he went, he felt greater than the club and that's an absolute disgrace and a lack of respect.

Secondly, this guy has never excelled in big games, against top opponents and that’s why we need. We can sum up it by strong against the weak and weak against the strong.

And the last, this guy is 34 and what is exactly the club’s philosophy by recuiting him ? Just showing that we’re not good enough to attract a real striker ?

I’m not happy about him. Scoring 50 goals with PSG in this French L1….. I bet he won’t score more than 10 goals this season
:lol: Christ that's terrible.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Or maybe, just maybe this was all agreed between the club and the player.

Last season our record against big clubs (Pool, Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Spurs) in the league was W5 D3 L2. We would’ve, at least, made it to the CL if we had someone to finish off ”weaker teams”.

Had enough of philosophies, let the ”not a real striker” who scored 50+ goals last season do the talking on the pitch.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It's not what we need @Chaky_Best. We haven't had someone who bullys the lesser teams in years. We were fine in big games last year.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Is there a press conference today or just an announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.