Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

I know it is a cliche but I genuinely think that we will more than recoup the wage outlay by shirt sales. Considering that we get the profit from shirt sales from our deal with Adidas.

Say Zlatan will rake in about £20m over two seasons with us, that is only 222222 shirts at £90 each. And he will sell faaar more than that.
It's pretty much a proven fact that player's have a minor effect on shirt sales. We might have 500k shirts sold with his name on the back, but these are shirts that would be sold regardless but with other names on the back.

Player's do not pay for themselves. If they had any real effect on shirt sales Adidas would have clauses in their contract that we sign marquee players every year.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Never heard of him. Is he any good? I'm assuming he's young and down to earth, as the ethos of our club demands.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I love Zlatan i would absolutley take him in a hartbeat to United, but like pointed out the only concern is his age. 34 is not very young, and he will be 37 next year.
There is no question what so ever about his ability thought, and he keeps very fit for a 39 year old.
And if its any truth in the rumors about him playing a part with the coaching too, that would be great. Zlatan is the same age as Giggs, so he got alot of experience.
Then maybe after 5 years, he will take over United after Mourinho. As Zlatan will be as old as Mourinho is now it seems like the natural thing to do.

So i am all for it. Even with the high salary and the fact that we probably will have to pay for his funural and tombstone to.
:lol:

buckooo1978

Zlatan, Benzema or Higuain would all be super signings....

Perhaps Zlatan is in the best age profile to not stand in Rashford's way

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought it was the previous deal that left the sponsor with all the income from the shirt sales, and that what makes our new one with Adidas unique is that we keep the profit from shirt sales.

I am almost certain I read that in the thread regarding Chelsea booting Adidas \ Adidas booting Chelsea.
They take less money than Nike.
I think we take it all mate.
I stand corrected.

We might well make a bit on this one, provided we charge by the letter.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
His free kicks are utterly insane.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Fecking hell, even the mods have gone full muppet mode. This could be a messy summer.

Cathy Ferguson

Sweden have qualified for the Olympic footy tournament and there is speculation that Zlatan might join as one of the over age 23 players. I do not think he has yet ruled out that option. That would wreck his pre season with us. I'm sure Mou will sort him out and get Zlatan's priorities in order.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Sweden have qualified for the Olympic footy tournament and there is speculation that Zlatan might join as one of the over age 23 players. I do not think he has yet ruled out that option. That would wreck his pre season with us. I'm sure Mou will sort him out and get Zlatan's priorities in order.
The Euros and the Olympics would be an insane schedule.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No chance at all of him playing the Olympics if he joins us. Olympic tournament is between 3-20 August. We play Community Shield on 6 August.

Red Stone

Zlatan and his Kung Fu goals.....

That's not even all of them. He has a couple more for Inter, Ajax and Sweden too, at least. His knack for getting those on target is unparallelled. Lob a ball at him and he'll find a way. He could probably jump up and redirect those daft Rooney chips into the net, even.

Eila

I rate the only chance he'll do both is if he ends up signing for the MLS & not a major European side
If he wants to go he will. He's a free agent so he can do more than just ask nicely to his club and hope they agree.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's not even all of them. He has a couple more for Inter, Ajax and Sweden too, at least. His knack for getting those on target is unparallelled. Lob a ball at him and he'll find a way. He could probably jump up and redirect those daft Rooney chips into the net, even.
I suppose it would add a new Dimension to Memphis' crossing as well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I know it is a cliche but I genuinely think that we will more than recoup the wage outlay by shirt sales. Considering that we get the profit from shirt sales from our deal with Adidas.

Say Zlatan will rake in about £20m over two seasons with us, that is only 222222 shirts at £90 each. And he will sell faaar more than that.
I've not really followed his career as I don't engage with football much beyond United but I'm very excited by what other knowledgeable posters are stating about him.

In this age of sports science sophistication, players can make it to their late 30s if they have looked after themselves and by all accounts Ibra is one of these supreme professionals.

I hope he can be Mourinho's 'Cantona'; a talisman who can inject belief and raise the entire team.

If he gets the no 7 shirt I'm buying one straight away!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Rawk are big fans
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=133632.2920

I've followed the man since he was 17 and was showed on tv-highlights in Sweden Superettan (second-tier). When it comes to Zlatan I'd say most of the Swedes following football would consider themselves an expert on the matter.
But even I thought he was starting to regress last season, the end of the show if you'd like. A few people have discussed Ibra at his peak, he IS at his absolute peak right now. I've never seen him perform the way he does day in day out in the league and the national team.

I would say with a big certainty (unless he loses his physique alltogether within a year) that whoever of the top clubs gets him will win the league. Some days he won't look arsed but he'll score one or two tap-ins just by outmuscling the defender. And it isnt just that, he demands so fecking much from his team-mates that they will play a level above just by him shouting and nagging at them every single minute. The man's a born winner, his club will be aswell.

My bet is Arsenal. United, maybe if they qualify for the Champions League. Chelsea would be my first bet but they won't play in the CL, and unless PSG wins the whole shebang he will want to play in it. Wouldn't that be a day of tears.
He's awesome. Always was, always will be.

He has perhaps lost some agility and pace the last couple of years, but for me he's still easily one of the best strikers in the world. Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski - I think Ibra is still at that elite level. Different types of players, but the quality in what they do is pretty much the same.

He really is a special talent, Ibra. That blend of physicality and outrageous skill is something no other player I have seen can match. I remember the first time I watched him, when we played against Ajax and he left Henchoz for dead with his elastico move. First time I saw that. Must be fifteen years ago now.

I'd love to see him in the PL while he still has some spring left in his step. But in terms of challenging for the CL, his best bet could be staying with PSG.
The PL needs someone of his quality.
This guy would win any team the league.

He's superb.
He would take the piss in England, would be the top scorer as well even at his age.
Outside of La Liga and Bundesliga, I'd agree. Hard to think of anyone in any other league that comes close right now. But you could really make a case for Lewandowski, Muller and Aubameyang to be at least at a similar level to him, if not better.

spenzo

Too young for me. Need a striker with more experience... a Cantona-like player I guess and I don't think anybody thinks they're similar at all.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: What the striker can bring to Manchester United
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36368433
Zlatan Ibrahimovic could "plug the financial gap" of Manchester United's failure to reach the Champions League - should he join the Old Trafford club.

The Sweden striker, who is out of contract at Paris St-Germain, could follow former manager Jose Mourinho to Old Trafford.

Football finance expert Rob Wilson believes the 34-year-old would be United's most marketable player since Cristiano Ronaldo and linking up with the three-time European champions would be a "match made in heaven".

Wilson says Ibrahimovic's shirt sales alone would cover the costs of finishing fifth in the Premier League this season and missing out on the riches of playing in Europe's elite competition, worth up to £50m.

"It would not surprise me if Zlatan sold more shirts than Ronaldo or Lionel Messi," said Wilson, a lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University.

"The cost of missing out on the Champions league is £30-50m, Zlatan will help plug that gap significantly with the number of shirts shifted by United."

Wilson told BBC Sport: "It is a match made in heaven, the football club is commercially so aware who will exploit every commercial opportunity. To them, they are signing a player who understands commercial endorsements and behaves in a way that allows him to maximise them.

"Put that together and you get the holy grail stakes of shirt sales, and stacks of corporate sponsorship. Zlatan is also the sort of player who brings ad hoc ticket buyers to a match, even if it is the Europa League or League Cup.

"It is matching the world's biggest sporting brands with one of the most marketable players, who has **** following, plus it is his career swansong. If you marry that with Manchester United, he will probably shift more shirts in the next year than any player in the squad because of the superstar status that he has."

Wilson added that Ibrahimovic could become the face of Manchester United.

"Zlatan has a global profile, and global appeal," he said. "Fans will buy shirts with Ibrahimovic on the back in Africa, South East Asia - markets United had a foothold in but not the leverage.

"He is the type of guy to do that, only a few select few players can do that; Gareth Bale, Neymar, [Lionel] Messi and Ronaldo."

So that's the off-pitch benefits of signing Ibrahimovic, but what else will the enigmatic Swede bring to Old Trafford and the Premier League?

Goals, goals and more goals

Since making his debut for his hometown club of Malmo in 1999, Ibrahimovic has played for some of Europe's biggest clubs: Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan and PSG and commanded transfer fees of more than £120m.

He has scored 392 goals in 677 games and last season was his most prolific, scoring 50 goals in 51 matches - a record for PSG - while his 38 league goals is also a club record.

Trophies, lots of trophies

Manchester United's FA Cup victory on Saturday was their first trophy since the Premier League title in 2013, when Sir Alex Ferguson retired.

But Ibrahimovic is used to regular success and has won 12 trophies in four seasons at PSG, including the domestic quadruple twice.

• He has won a trophy every season of his career since 2001.
  • Between 2003-04 and 2010-11 he won eight straight league titles.
  • He has won 13 league titles in 15 seasons playing abroad.
Article has lots more in it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36368433

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ramadan will probably take it's toll on him at the beginning, but I hope not.
He's 48, he should be used to the Ramadan by now.
He's not a practicing Muslim, one of his parent is Muslim and the other is Catholic. I think I read somewhere that he said he's Catholic.
There's approximately a 0% chance Zlatan will observe Ramadan.
To be fair to him it would be difficult to observe Ramadan in between him doing whatever the feck he wants.
The rare kind of muslim who enjoys boar hunting and boar bbq on his spare time. But if it is important to believe that he is a practicing muslim that's fine. I don't think we need to worry about ramadan.
Some muslims actually take Ramadan seriously even though they drink and eat pork other times of the year.
Don't think it will be an issue though.
Not sure if everyone is being 100% serious but Ramadan ends at the start of July anyway so it will impact whoever does it for the Euro's but that's it. Pretty sure he isn't a muslim or if he is, he isn't religious anyway.

Pscholes18

Ibra would be great on the free, however....the midfield would be forced to actually get the ball to the big man....hopefully Maureen can get the strikers the service they need to put some goals in.

RedDevil@84

I mentioned neither his form or becoming average, both of which are excellent. I just think for a player his age, it is a dhit load if money.
I believe the money should be proportional to the form or class of the player, rather than his age.
Now Memphis is like 21 yr old. Can he ask for 250K or 300K wages because he is young.

Status
Not open for further replies.