Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone

Something
As a free agent he's a safe bet and i'd love to have him here, but i still wouldn't want us to offer him a stupid contract, anything more than 2 years would be ridiculous.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he wasn't his best last night, but physically, he is such a beast! the way he can hold onto the ball just out side the edge of the area and bring people into play would be ideal for us!!!

That being said, the wages being quoted, he can feck right off.

Michael T

If he wanted to play for Manchester United he should have done something about it years ago. Ageing players on the slippery slope and looking for one last bumper pay-day need not apply. It's not a good image for the club, and so often leads to frustration for the supporters and the club's on-field ambitions.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It was interesting to see how Matuidi is used by PSG in terms of aiding Ibrahimovic. Last night you saw Matuidi continuously make runs from the midfield into an advanced role, at the same time effectively switching roles with Ibrahimovic, leaving Ibrahimovic in an advanced midfield role. It's a really clever move - despite not being overly effective last night - as it means Matuidi covers a lot of the off-ball running Ibrahimovic probably hasn't got the energy for anymore and allows Ibrahimovic to collect the ball from 35(ish) yards out with at least one central defender already back-tracking and gaps for shots/through-balls appearing.

If we were to go in for Ibrahimovic I feel as if we'd need to adopt a similar tactic. Having Ibrahimovic up front with Mata or Rooney (for instance) behind him would slow our game even more so and frustrate. With our current squad Ibrahimovic would only be effective up top with the likes of Lingard or Herrera behind him.

Crashoutcassius

how many chances did he want the other night jaysus. Not sure this is gonna be worth it especally if he's 35 or whatever, physically on the wane, and on 200k+ per week. Would rather get someone that can affect games for longer rather than be paying an aging strike force 500k+ every week for little output fr the next 2 years

Bwuk

It was interesting to see how Matuidi is used by PSG in terms of aiding Ibrahimovic. Last night you saw Matuidi continuously make runs from the midfield into an advanced role, at the same time effectively switching roles with Ibrahimovic, leaving Ibrahimovic in an advanced midfield role. It's a really clever move - despite not being overly effective last night - as it means Matuidi covers a lot of the off-ball running Ibrahimovic probably hasn't got the energy for anymore and allows Ibrahimovic to collect the ball from 35(ish) yards out with at least one central defender already back-tracking and gaps for shots/through-balls appearing.

If we were to go in for Ibrahimovic I feel as if we'd need to adopt a similar tactic. Having Ibrahimovic up front with Mata or Rooney (for instance) behind him would slow our game even more so and frustrate. With our current squad Ibrahimovic would only be effective up top with the likes of Lingard or Herrera behind him.
Herrera would be the option from our current squad. He'd certainly do better than Matiudi did against City anyway!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Matuidi has limited technical skills and is not currently in a good shape.

Despite the fact he would be part of your starting 11, I don't advise you to recruit him.

Bwuk

Matuidi has limited technical skills and is not currently in a good shape.

Despite the fact he would be part of your starting 11, I don't advise you to recruit him.
Why not? He scores 30+ a season, we don't have anyone who can do that.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Why not? He scores 30+ a season, we don't have anyone who can do that.
@Bwuk

In my last post, I was talking about Matuidi!

If you reread this thread, you will see I am one the best advocates of Ibra :cool:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Even a very disappointing Ibra scores against City: the mark of the GOATs.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

2015/16: 45 goals so far

PSG: 39 goals in 41 games + 11 assists
Sweden: 6 goals in 7 games

Of course, he could decline further but will be useful for many reasons in the next 18 months. He will be 35 yo next October

Let's see if he will score or not at the Etihad stadium !

Classical Mechanic

2015/16: 45 goals so far

PSG: 39 goals in 41 games + 11 assists
Sweden: 6 goals in 7 games

Of course, he could decline further but will be useful for many reasons in the next 18 months. He will be 35 yo next October

Let's see if he will score or not at the Etihad stadium !
Look at his record outside of France when he was in his prime. Do you think he is better in his old age or that he has been playing in a weak league with a team that is far better than any other?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Look at his record outside of France when he was in his prime. Do you think he is better in his old age or that he has been playing in a weak league with a team that is far better than any other?
He's been getting better, but since his last Inter season he's been consistenly scoring a lot.

You can also see the evolution of his stats for his national team. I can assure you Sweden are not getting better and doesn't dominate international football!

Classical Mechanic

He's been getting better, but since his last Inter season he's been consistenly scoring a lot.

You can also see the evolution of his stats for his national team. I can assure you Sweden are not getting better and doesn't dominate international football!
No chance on earth that he will do those numbers in the Premier League.

Look at his stats in Europe for you. OK he had one amazing season when he scored 10 in 8 but the other three seasons his scoring rate has been below average to good, which is what I would expect from him in the PL.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Record outside of France? Fantastic stats and CV
PSG far better than any other in France? Yes
Better in his old age? He plays differently and has changed his style of play. He is more collective but needs nobody to score
EPL: so demanding league? Yes, but my opinion is that EPL defenders should have to be scared of the Swedish Colossus.

This year, he scored 6 goals in 7 games with Sweden: a country far better than any other?
This year, he scored against City and Chelsea: weak teams?

It you look at the careers of players like Totti/Cafu/Maldini/Pirlo/Di Natale/...., you will see some players defy common sense and logic. These players have played at the high level at the age of 35-36-37 years. Maldini played 32 games at the age of 40yo.

Why? Because they have:

- A winning mentality
- A Very healthy lifestyle. I don't know personally Rooney but Rooney may improve this point :wenger:
- At their prime, they were just unplayable so very old they are simply very good

Massive wages? Certainly but no transfer fee.

A long-term solution? A short-term recruit of course. Personally, I don't care about the season 2018/19. I just want a performing team in the next 18 months. You have a lot of excellent young players who will learn a lot from him.

Better options on the market? Sure and I wish you good luck to attract Lewandoski, Aubamayeng, Benzema or Kane. Lukaku, Higuain and Griezmann are more realistic options.

Last post about him: I have nothing else to add and I don't want to repeat myself once again :angel:

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

This year, he scored 6 goals in 7 games with Sweden: a country far better than any other? This year, he scored against City and Chelsea: weak teams?
Rooney has scored in his last 7 international games in a row but has struggled badly in the PL. An international scoring record doesn't prove anything.

The French League is considerably weaker than the PL and PSG are so much better than the rest it makes looking good a lot easier.

His record outside of France is a lot more ordinary for a top centre forward.

I would still like to see Ibra at United though. Just for the laughs. 20 in 35 would be an excellent return for him.

Classical Mechanic

@Downcast

When I say ordinary for a top striker I mean that he wasn't averaging a goal a game or scoring over 30 in 38 games, which is what I would call extraordinary, it rarely happen in the PL for example. Only 7 players have done it in PL history and only 3 in the last 12 years.

Annahnomoss

He entered his peak in 2011-12 as he finally matured and decided to become an efficient player rather than an entertaining one according to himself. Prior to that he had all the abilities in the world, even more than he ever had after but he never had the maturity and mentality to make full use of it.

If we ignore the league performances all together we see that his performances for Sweden went through the roof from this moment on and since 2012 he has the best goal scoring ratio of any top striker in the world for his national team. He scored scored 24 goals in 25 games for Sweden, as we are nearly always even or worse than our opponents he has proven that he can provide the performances and goals even if his team isn't comparatively better.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
2 years ago I would have said yes, but at this age it could all go tits up, something which we can't afford after 3 poor seasons.
The commentator the other night was saying he wants £600k a week to come to England. I know that probably factors in his signing on fee etc but that's still a crazy amount to pay a 35 year old!

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I've always thought this. He wasn't really talked about as being one of the top 3-4 strikers in the world until he went to PSG.

Status
Not open for further replies.