g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Alexis Sanchez image 7

Alexis Sanchez Chile flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Can we do a poll on where we think he should be played?

Genuinely think if playing on the right he could single-handedly solve our attacking issues if he recaptures the form he displayed there for Udinese/Barcelona/Chile.

The problem is there's far less fluidity in our attacking system than Arsenal's which makes Sanchez's gamestyle of constantly cutting in from the left seem predictable. Whereas previously he'd be able to either cut inside and keep going till he got into dangerous space for himself, or pass the ball directly in front of him into the box to a runner like Ramsey, or play off another creative drifter on the edge of the area like Ozil, or swing it to the waiting centre-forward like Giroud, at Manchester United the only thing he can do is cut inside (Lukaku is being marked out of the game because Ramsey and Ozil aren't occupying the other defenders), and he is crowded out every time. He's someone who will find space whenever there is space, but Manchester United don't create space, so he's finding himself trapped.

We need more intelligence in our foward line, seems obvious the solution is playing Sanchez from the right which will increase both our width and his unpredictability, and giving Pogba his preferred advanced role in a midfield three. Martial and Rashford are far less Walcotty on the left.

Last edited:

RedCurry

I think he'll come good. He still puts in everything he's got every match. I can't fault a player who gives it his all. It's just not coming off for him at the moment and if and when we do actually setup to play quick football, he will be massive for us.

Jeffthered

Not sure under Jose. The guy looks lost.... like Rio said last night, I feel sorry for him.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Thought he was horrible last night, can't believe how many times he lost the ball.

Seriously what has happened to this player since he left Arsenal? all the things he used to do for them just don't seem possible for him anymore.

Even in the 2nd half when the ball fell to him in the box, I thought here we go he will score!... no he just toe punts it at the defender.

Maybe the 7 shirt really is cursed after all, but right now he's looking worse than Mkhi.
To be fair he had stopped doing all the right things at Arsenal and was in poor form, most people myself included put it down to him not wanting to be there. But now its clear to see that is not the case.

ti vu

Not sure under Jose. The guy looks lost.... like Rio said last night, I feel sorry for him.
The first sentence is unwarranted though. He had not had the best of season this time around even with Arsenal in a familiar environment. It affected himto the point him not to be able to help Chile qualify for the WC. Would you blame it on Mourinho and us too? January is considered by many top managers as the most convenient time to sign players for a reason. Sure he can be dropped now, but to point fingers, to write his career with us off now is a bit kneejerk

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
So you want Sanchez to be forced/slotted into the position of our currently best performing attacking player? Just like we did by giving Sanchez Martial’s place? Sanchez should be benched, for his own good.
Yeah, its tricky doing these things in the middle of the season. Ideally all the experimentation should happen in the pre-season. Trouble is that with the world cup in the summer, you'll have a curtailed preseason.

The Hacker

He plays with all the energy and drive of a teenager, but with all the discipline and thought processes of a teenager as well.

Either trying too hard to do something magical or just not as awesome as we all think he is. Probably somewhere in the middle.

I think he should be dropped. He needs to bed in slowly as nobody knows where to play him, letalone he himself who is all over the place on the field.

In a few ways he’s like the most anti Mour player we have!

Deleted member 101472

Just lock the thread until he gets benched or starts a game at RW.

Devil81

Doesn't matter how bad he plays, the guy isn't getting dropped.

Similar to the Ibra situation last season, if he's fit, he plays no matter the form. Last season Ibra just never ever got subbed.

Fergie Steps In

This sort of opinion only carries so far. A player with his ability (and wage) needs to be doing more than he did tonight no matter what the system is. Good players will always find a way and he isn’t and hasn’t.
Sorry but i respectfully disagree with your statement. There have been systems where even world class players are muted by poor management and poor tactics. Just look at the international level where many countries have had world class players drastically under-perform because of poor management or tactics (for example Brazil and Argentina over the past 5-10 years). When the management or tactics have changed, these players often come back to life.

Hughie77

His performances equal nothing, and should be benched and put Jesse back in side gone backwards since he came, he's just not gelled yet, he's a fantastic player, but when we don't play to keep the ball he will suffer as do others with him. Team an Jose needs to learn to keep the ball better, you will see the best of him and others then. Jose sorry is not the manager who will get the best out of these kind of players.

manunited1919

Yeah, its tricky doing these things in the middle of the season. Ideally all the experimentation should happen in the pre-season. Trouble is that with the world cup in the summer, you'll have a curtailed preseason.
Yes, very true.
I hope I’m wrong, but Sanchez doesn’t seem like he will ever fit into this team, and is very far from being world-class at this time. I understand he set some kind of record for the number of times he lost the ball yesterday, more than any player in the Champions League this season.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Has Mkhi been better for Arsenal than Sanchez for us? In terms of pure numbers and better overall games, I'd say yes. Not that that's saying much.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

alfonsrb

He is a shadow of the player he was. He needs to be benched and return Martial/ Rashford to the left.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's shocking.
It's worth bearing in mind that in Sánchez's best season, he gave the ball away 656 times in the league - almost double Hazard's 375. That's adding up misplaced passes, unsuccessful touches and when he was dispossessed, as per WhoScored's data. He has always, always, always given the ball away a stupid amount. That shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

sugar_kane

It feels peculiar him being a United player. He's never felt like anything but a mercenary to me and he's not doing anything to change my perception.

He's the one player I can say that about in the post-fergie years, even Di Maria I held out hope for for a few weeks.

I was excited about him adding quality to our team but all that his arrival has caused is disruption.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What a truly ridiculous statement. He’s been in 6 weeks and you’re saying to sell him :lol::lol:
To be fair, if we sell him for +100m that would be like selling Mkhitaryan for +100m. That's a great piece of business.

Fer

Well, we signed Sanchez instead of Griezmann or Dybala. He is going to be with us for the next 4 years with 600k per week... So I hope he finds his form and start connecting with the team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I actually thought he started quite well yesterday. A few smart balls unleashing space for someone on the wing.
He played Fellaini through for one of our best chances, and when he runs with it, he's always such a threat the opposition have to lash him down.

However, we're all expecting more as we saw him boss it for Arsenal for years, and we're all cheesed at yesterday still.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well, we signed Sanchez instead of Griezmann or Dybala. He is going to be with us for the next 4 years with 600k per week... So I hope he finds his form and start connecting with the team.
I thought it was 600k a day in the end wasn't it? :smirk:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It's worth bearing in mind that in Sánchez's best season, he gave the ball away 656 times in the league - almost double Hazard's 375. That's adding up misplaced passes, unsuccessful touches and when he was dispossessed, as per WhoScored's data. He has always, always, always given the ball away a stupid amount. That shouldn't be a surprise at this point.
No I agree with you, he’s always been a high risk high reward kind of player, but 320 in just 10 games is terrible. I get that he’s yet to gel with his teammates but he needs to do better.

Devil81

I don't watch Arsenal every week so I didn't notice this but apparently he notorious for giving the ball away at Arsenal. Ray Parlour said this during a chat with Alan Brazil on talksport, at the time I thought he was being bitter.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Alexis Sanchez should come good for you guys eventually. Although alot of you are seeing what myself and many Arsenal fans were saying when you first signed him. Sanchez on form is a genuine world class player. He is so steadfast and determined which is what makes him such a dangerous attacker but also what makes him wasteful. When he's having an off game his first instinct is to bury his head and try again rather than try and lay it off for a teammate.

Loublaze

ATLien
I really hope this isn’t another Rooney situation where he stinks out the place for years since nobody will take him off our hands...
His best ability is looking busy all the time because he's pumping his stumpy legs when he's running.

Pointless player.
City dodged a bullet here
Can’t stand him.

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting line up.
Has all the makings of another high profile, big money flop.
He's took us backwards since arriving.
Managed to feck up our team balance since joining. That’s his only contribution.
Useless and has ruined balance of team.
A worthy successor to Memphis as United’s no. 7
Doesn't fit (along with others). $ell him to China
Should be benched for the rest of the season. He fecked our balance and doesn't offer anything for us to play him.
Utter shite again.

Should be dropped on Saturday. We're starting every game with 10 men.

Looks like he's going the way of Falcao and Di Maria and all the other high profile flops.
Playing with him is effectively playing with 10 players right now.
Any chance he got his fat contract and is pulling a Rooney?
Base on his form and our form ever since he joined, he’s probably the worst big-name signing we ever had.
Utter delusion. I genuinely think in 4 years time he will be viewed as the worst transfer in the club’s history.
No idea why we bought this c*nt to then not play Martial.
Will leave the club in summer 2019.
If a Chinese team were to come in for him we should sell him. He is becoming Rooney II, but at least Rooney had a history at our club before he was awful. He needs to be dropped.
It's not kneejerk if he's been poor for 90% of his United tenure thus far.
Six games into his career at OT and you think this BS is justifiable?

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
You probably missed my follow up up which elaborated on my feelingsz.

Here you go:

You misunderstand me. I’m in no way blaming Sanchez for our performance, I’m going through one thread at a time giving my 2 pence.

But since we got him in, he’s not been playing in the positions we were weakest at - right wing for one, and even if not there he could start through the middle where he’s quite good.

Martial and Rashford we’re doing brilliantly earlier in the season and Lw is their strongest position. Why get an experienced player in his prime in for a position where we are already stacked in? Where’s the logic in that plez.

Also, him and Pogba obviously bump heads as they like to roam similar positions. So not only does he displace our best left wingers, but gets in the way of our ‘talisman’.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dunno about the rest, but mine was quite obviously a bit of a pisstake.

Samchez is obviously a great player. The timing of buying him and the way he was instantly dropped into the team is the problem.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
10 games and yes - he's totally failed to adapt and seems to have disrupted our attack.

Will he carry on like this - I don't know, hopefully not. I expect we'll see a lot more from him after he's had a pre-season under his belt. But you can't seriously tell me that arguably the best player in the league over the last 3 or so seasons can get away with no criticism after his start here?

Loublaze

ATLien
10 games and yes - he's totally failed to adapt and seems to have disrupted our attack.

Will he carry on like this - I don't know, hopefully not. I expect we'll see a lot more from him after he's had a pre-season under his belt. But you can't seriously tell me that arguably the best player in the league over the last 3 or so seasons can get away with no criticism after his start here?
He can't escape reasonable criticism. He looks like a misfit right now but some of the stuff being said is OTT

Roboc7

He can't escape reasonable criticism. He looks like a misfit right now but some of the stuff being said is OTT
He has been useless so far and have to question why we didn’t buy a RW. He might be brilliant next season but at moment he is lucky not to be dropped.

FujiVice

The heat map against Crystal Palace where he pissed about around the half way line most of the game, should tell you the instructions he's getting under Mourinho. We're a team who plays two holding midfielders and who has 30% possession against our biggest rivals. Has the 29 year old, who was one of the best players in Europe only last year peaked already? Or is he yet another player getting sucked into the attackers graveyard to accommodate Jose's dick measuring with people who slag off his style of play?

Hed Zitin

He has been useless so far and have to question why we didn’t buy a RW. He might be brilliant next season but at moment he is lucky not to be dropped.
I'd rather have bought the RW. No doubt about it. Still after Fergie retired we don't have one. Mad.

I thought Sanchez was going to play there at some point, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. It makes it even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.