Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's barely played there for us, so I tend to think it's too early to say. If we try it a number of times and he continues to struggle then we have a tough decision to make, but we should give it a proper try first.
It won't work nor will it be done. The guy has made his PL by being on the left-ish and playing a free central role.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Can't believe Jose has mentioned Martial's name about 3 times (never heard him talk that much about him:D). A compliment at last! Saying he stretched the play etc etc.

acnumber9

Sorry, but there's no fact that would support you here.

He scored for 3 consecutive games (ended up as our best player that month), then immediately lost his place on the left to Sanchez in the 4th match. Then he got benched the game after that; No, he was not injured at that point. Tell me why he got benched that moment? Was Jose resting him?
He started three of our next four league games. Then he got injured. There’s your facts.

Reynoldo

Sanchez on the right (I mean the current Sanchez and not the one who played there at Udinese or Barca) is even worse than Martial on the right.
That’s kind of my point though, if both were at the top of their game then it’s a genuine dilemma but Sanchez’s contribution has been so minimal we might as well put him there so we accommodate Martial on the left.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Is there a link for the comments or was it just on telly?
Was just on telly in his post match with Sky. Don't know if you can find it somewhere.

redIndianDevil

One thing that annoyed me was that he refused to go outside more. Bit predictable cutting in everytime, he's ran past defenders to the byline before and played a peachy low cross or two with his left.
He is right footed, why would he go to his weaker side? That's the job of our LB to go outside but guess what Young is right footed too and never wants to overlap.

SATA

This is the Martial i want to see. Gets the ball, runs at people and making things happen and not sulking around the pitch. Thought he played like he had a point to prove today and genuinely wanting to fight for his place

Silas

After the manager tried to find a way to accommodate him in the team due to his form. What a bastard he is.
Accommodate is a weird word to describe shunting someone into a position he's played a handful of times in the past. The only one being accommodated was Sanchez.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He is right footed, why would he go to his weaker side? That's the job of our LB to go outside but guess what Young is right footed too and never wants to overlap.
Because he was dribbling right into defenders who were anticipating him going inside for the 5th time in a row.

redIndianDevil

Because he was shit in the 4th game.

You can excuse that by saying that he was put on to the right and he's not as good there, and you'd be right, but he was still benched for being awful in that game and for no other reason.
Actually everyone was shite in the fourth game and guess what some of them retained their places despite not being as good as Martial was for the previous three matches.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
High risk, high reward player. Bit like Nani in that regard. Some will love him and some will hate him. Lost the ball a few times but created two goalscoring opportunities.

Personally I don't mind the risk when he's committing defenders. Prefer that than playing it safe.
He's definitely polarising, though in match threads it is usually the same people saying he's rubbish (McGrathsipan, Paz, NikSab etc) and the same people saying he's good with no real change of opinions. Like this fella:

redIndianDevil

Because he was dribbling right into defenders who were anticipating him going inside for the 5th time in a row.
But if he did go outside the defenders would have an easier job as he won't be able to do much with his left foot. This is how all top teams play, they play inverted wingers as attackers and conventional fullbacks meaning the wingers can cut inside and the fullbacks can overlap and help stretch the play. The fact that Young plays as LB is what makes Martial predictable.

kouroux

That’s kind of my point though, if both were at the top of their game then it’s a genuine dilemma but Sanchez’s contribution has been so minimal we might as well put him there so we accommodate Martial on the left.
It's an interesting idead but one that will never happen. Sanchez is too much of big profile to do that to him

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
But if he did go outside the defenders would have an easier job as he won't be able to do much with his left foot. This is how all top teams play, they play inverted wingers as attackers and conventional fullbacks meaning the wingers can cut inside and the fullbacks can overlap and help stretch the play. The fact that Young plays as LB is what makes Martial predictable.
As I said, he has delivered good passes with his left before, you are underestimating that side of his game IMO

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
After the manager tried to find a way to accommodate him in the team due to his form. What a bastard he is.
He was moved to the right the very first game he and Sanchez played together. There was nothing wrong with his form before that. Not saying it's a bad decision as Sanchez is a better player but that imo contributed to his drop in form.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
This is the Martial i want to see. Gets the ball, runs at people and making things happen and not sulking around the pitch. Thought he played like he had a point to prove today and genuinely wanting to fight for his place
He fought his way right into some big clubs' transfer plans. Every club could use someone with his qualities in that age category.

Reynoldo

It won't work nor will it be done. The guy has made his PL by being on the left-ish and playing a free central role.
I'd take a central role for Sanchez as well, though that might be less likely with Herrera back in the mix. Agree it won't be done but my point was that Sanchez's current form doesn't warrant Martial not getting to play.

Canagel

The difference when he came on was obvious to see. The crowd woke up when he came on. You can't underestimate the effect players like Martial had on the Arsenal team when he came on and the atmosphere in general. Straight away they took 2 steps back and it opens up opportunities for others.

acnumber9

Accommodate is a weird word to describe shunting someone into a position he's played a handful of times in the past. The only one being accommodated was Sanchez.
Fairly standard word to use to describe what happened. He could’ve dropped him but tried to find a solution that could get the best of both. This myth that Martial was instantly dropped off the back of great form is nonsense.

acnumber9

He was moved to the right the very first game he and Sanchez played together. There was nothing wrong with his form before that. Not saying it's a bad decision as Sanchez is a better player but that imo contributed to his drop in form.
It probably did. I don’t think it’s the disgrace some think though. I don’t see much crying for Rashford having to change position every game he plays.

ManUtd1999

The difference when he came on was obvious to see. The crowd woke up when he came on. You can't underestimate the effect players like Martial had on the Arsenal team when he came on and the atmosphere in general. Straight away they took 2 steps back and it opens up opportunities for others.
I agree. They had a hard time when he came on. When he's playing well, he is very difficult to handle.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Why do people keep on saying Martial was moved to the right when Sanchez came when it is false.

Martial and Sanchez were alternating wings when Sanchez first came. They would spend one half on each side. A look at the average positions showed that they were both central despite not playing through the middle at all.

Irrational.

Did very well I thought. Hugged the touchline, beat players and put in a few dangerous crosses into the box. Could have had two assists if Fellaini didn't hit the post and Smalling knew how to control his legs.

I really hope he has a future here.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It probably did. I don’t think it’s the disgrace some think though. I don’t see much crying for Rashford having to change position every game he plays.
Rashford has never really cemented a spot like Martial did. It wasn't just the games directly before Sanchez was bought; from memory Martial had won three player of the month awards in the first half of the season. And that was after starting the season as a slight second choice behind Rashford on the left.

Why do people keep on saying Martial was moved to the right when Sanchez came when it is false.

Martial and Sanchez were alternating wings when Sanchez first came. They would spend one half on each side. A look at the average positions showed that they were both central despite not playing through the middle at all.
I could be wrong but I think they only swapped at halftime once. The other matches they swapped late on after it was apparent that it wasn't working and we were trying to get a break through somehow.

kouroux

I'd take a central role for Sanchez as well, though that might be less likely with Herrera back in the mix. Agree it won't be done but my point was that Sanchez's current form doesn't warrant Martial not getting to play.
Well Martial's form doesn't warrant him playing ahead of Sanchez I'm sorry. The one that needs to be benched is defo Lingard

el3mel

I gave him MOTM. Thought he changed our intensity a bit after he entered better than the rest.

Reynoldo

Well Martial's form doesn't warrant him playing ahead of Sanchez I'm sorry. The one that needs to be benched is defo Lingard
Agreed. Lingard is the one that should be benched, that was my point, just play Sanchez somewhere else to get Martial on the left.

Akshay

Staff
Very lively when he came on, a solid contribution. This is the Martial we all want to see. I hope he gets a start in some of the coming league games, they are pretty much a formality now anyway. He should get a chance to earn himself a spot in the XI for the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.