6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebo

Can anyone tell me what happened in that wing prior to Martial introduction? He is the left wing we need. Our play is too narrow with no dribbles without him. He must play every game.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I could be wrong but I think they only swapped at halftime once. The other matches they swapped late on after it was apparent that it wasn't working and we were trying to get a break through somehow.
Martial played 90 minutes against Newcastle and Tottenham with 45 mins on each side. Then he got played all his gametime against Chelsea on the left with Sanchez through the middle for 64 minutes. Against Brighton he played on the left for 90 minutes.

It's false that Martial was moved out of position for Sanchez. A much more accurate assessment is that Martial lost his place on the left to Sanchez and played less minutes as a result. When he has played he has spent most of his time on the left.

Martial isn't under performing recently because of playing out of position, he's under performing because he's lost a bit of motivation since Sanchez has taken his spot while he was growing in confidence. He's played over 500 minutes since Sanchez came and most of it is in his position.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Martial isn't under performing recently because of playing out of position, he's under performing because he's lost a bit of motivation since Sanchez has taken his spot while he was growing in confidence.
He's been playing exactly the same though. Often ineffective, sometimes looks useful. Nothing changed in terms of performances with Sanchez's arrival except having something new to blame it on. Before that, ironically, it was because he shouldn't be played on the left. Or still just because he shouldn't be expected to perform off the bench or because of his shirt number or something.

If he plays more like today as his consistent benchmark performance, with some outstanding performances sometimes on top, he'll obviously get chosen. That's why Lingard gets chosen. Because his benchmark has been higher, even if his ceiling isn't.

luke511

I find it hard to believe we can't find a system where Martial, Sanchez and Lukaku all play at the same time.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's been playing exactly the same though. Often ineffective, sometimes looks useful. Nothing changed in terms of performances with Sanchez's arrival except having something new to blame it on. Before that, ironically, it was because he shouldn't be played on the left. Or still just because he shouldn't be expected to perform off the bench or because of his shirt number or something.

If he plays more like today as his consistent benchmark performance, with some outstanding performances sometimes on top, he'll obviously get chosen. That's why Lingard gets chosen. Because his benchmark has been higher, even if his ceiling isn't.
He is definitely under performing as he has only got one goal or assist since Sanchez came in over 500 minutes.

Martial during his time here has been a Rooney type of player when he was on the decline. Was very frustrating during the build up but was very good in the final third.

He is even struggling when coming off the bench, whereas earlier this season he was our best impact sub.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he was very poor when he came on. His end product was non-existent, looked lethargic and gave the ball away cheeply. Hardly looked like someone who was trying to stake a claim for a starting spot.

I dont understand why he always comes deep for the ball and never looks to play on the shoulder of the full-back, he's so quick and coming short makes him easy to mark, i'd like to see him further forward and keeping the width, its not a Mourinho thing either as he did the same under LvG.

pseudo_canadian

I'll be so upset if he ends up leaving.

His talent is glaringly clear, and his ability to take on his man is so dangerous. No other player on our team offers that.

And having 11 goals + 11 assists this season while playing reduced minutes just shows how good he is.

Rossa

He's barely played there for us, so I tend to think it's too early to say. If we try it a number of times and he continues to struggle then we have a tough decision to make, but we should give it a proper try first.
I think it depends on who he is playing against. He is far from certain beating Bellerin in a foot race on the outside, but he did get past him easily on the inside as Bellerin isn't the most agile, and for some reason seemed to anticipate that Martial would go on the inside, silly sod. However, Arsenal were quick to double up on him.

I agree that he needs to go more on the outside, but he seems a little reluctant to do that playing against the fastest fullbacks such as Walker and Bellerin.

Walters_19_MuFc

Gave us much needed width and directness when he came on today.

Not sure why Mourinho wants 8 players all central with only 2 players (full back) giving us width. It just doesn't work, and it means we're ineffective when we try and counter teams.

SteveW

Thought he was very poor when he came on. His end product was non-existent, looked lethargic and gave the ball away cheeply. Hardly looked like someone who was trying to stake a claim for a starting spot.

I dont understand why he always comes deep for the ball and never looks to play on the shoulder of the full-back, he's so quick and coming short makes him easy to mark, i'd like to see him further forward and keeping the width, its not a Mourinho thing either as he did the same under LvG.
This basically destroys any credibility you could possibly have. He was clearly very good. A couple of bad passes but he changed the pace of the game, had Bellerin on toast and set up 2 or 3 good chances.

kr0nix

Be a travesty if he left.
Couldn't say it any better. Any fool can see he has something special about him, which is why no one would be surprised if he ended up fulfilling his talent somewhere else.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Agreed. And I think Lingard will lose his place next game.

Despite what many think, I believe Martial played himself back into the side today and will start the next game.
Martial on the left and Sanchez where Lingard is can also work. I don't see what Lingard can bring that Sanchez cannot do in the middle.

SpyLuke10

The fact is he is already better than Sanchez, and the gap will only get larger as he improves as a player. Not to mention Sanchez has already started declining, he lost a yard of pace this season, as was noticeable watching him play for Arsenal in the first half of the season.

Ashley R1+O

Mourinho has played an absolute blinder with Martial. Bringing his level back to that of where he realistically is along with his development was pretty crucial at this stage of Martial's career. If he ends up leaving then there is no harm done, he can leave but I would much prefer to see him coming off the bench against tired legs and developing that deadly injection player off the pine. Rather than having bunches of games where he starts and doesn't do much and then goes onto the bench I'd prefer him to develop that genuine off the bench role while he is still in the infancy of his career. His hunger seems more genuine in limited bursts than with starts.

He's still far from the complete package and I would prefer him doing damage against tired legs and keeping himself hungry for inclusion. He needs to bring his attitude back into line with how far along his development is as a player. A hungry and young potentially great player who has to mentally comprehend that he must make himself great. Not somebody who is great just by association with a big club and fans yelling that he should start having shown raw glimpses of a reliable footballer. Kudos to Mou and kudos to Martial for taking his chance off the bench today to put in a shift. With an FA cup final spot up for grabs I think Mourinho has to rely on his experienced player in Sanchez and that is more than obvious, going to Martial and him having a characteristic disengaged performance has consequences to the teams fortunes. As well as Martial. I'd much prefer to see him get the 30 minutes in the final like he gave today than 60 minutes of another possible "in my head I've already made it" performance.

Good signs from both the manager and the player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
@Ashley R1+O in what way has Mourinho played a blinder? By all accounts Martial is desperate to leave this summer.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I thought I saw Martial walk straight to the tunnel right after the match yesterday. Didn't hang around to clap the fans.

Canagel

It seems opposition fans rate Martial higher than United fans. Visibly you could tell the effect he had on the game in general and the fans. If we can't find a place for him in this team then I don't really know what to say...

VanGaalEra

After the manager tried to find a way to accommodate him in the team due to his form. What a bastard he is.
Sure, I guess if we sign a CM player he could Matic to LB to thank him for the form he’s shown us this season, and then drop him because inevitably he’s shit in a position he doesn’t play in. But at least the manager tried to accommodate him, right?

Bwuk

It seems opposition fans rate Martial higher than United fans. Visibly you could tell the effect he had on the game in general and the fans. If we can't find a place for him in this team then I don't really know what to say...
Mark Goldbridge is the biggest clown on YouTube

acnumber9

Sure, I guess if we sign a CM player he could Matic to LB to thank him for the form he’s shown us this season, and then drop him because inevitably he’s shit in a position he doesn’t play in. But at least the manager tried to accommodate him, right?
Because playing on a different side of the pitch with freedom to move about is the same as playing in a completely different position? Also, Martial was dropped after playing on the left against Chelsea.

haram

They don't watch him every week. Besides, Man United fans do rate Martial.

Canagel

Mark Goldbridge is the biggest clown on YouTube
I don't care what Goldbridge says. Arsenal players and fans were shitting themselves when Martial came on and started to run at defenders. He is the only attacking player that we have that gets people off their seats. The game was boring but when he came on I was fixated to the TV. It's a shame that we don't value this talent on the forum.

Womp

idiot
What the feck is with all this nonsense about not rating him and people wanting him gone and what not? I've barely seen any people with that opinion. I rate him extremely highly and would be ecstatic if he stayed, along with most others on here I'm sure. That being said, if a player is intent on leaving, they should be allowed to. There is almost no benefits to keeping an unsettled player.

He isn't the only exciting player in the World. If he left, we have the money and draw to attract youngsters just as talented, if not more so. It will hardly be the end of the World.

MUFC OK

He looked sharp when he came on.. Has all the tools to be world class and is still young. Hope he gets more minutes now and forces his way into the Cup Final team (won't as Lingard has a free pass). Desperate for him to stay as he will without doubt go on to prove us wrong if sell him imo.

What the feck is with all this nonsense about not rating him and people wanting him gone and what not? I've barely seen any people with that opinion.
Exactly, almost no United fan has that opinion. It's just something that's been conjured up on here because some fans think that Martial has the to talent to force a starting spot in this side, whoever the manager may be, whilst others think it's his God given right. Apparently if you don't agree that it's his God given right, you don't rate him.

Personally think Martial will start the next game after a cracking cameo yesterday, and if he plays well, he'll start the game after that too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Exactly, almost no United fan has that opinion. It's just something that's been conjured up on here because some fans think that Martial has the to talent to force a starting spot in this side, whoever the manager may be, whilst others think it's his God given right. Apparently if you don't agree that it's his God given right, you don't rate him.

Personally think Martial will start the next game after a cracking cameo yesterday, and if he plays well, he'll start the game after that too.
Actually Ive read some posts which have said we should cash in on him and buy a right winger because he hasnt progressed much and hasnt put in the effort and is a sulker. Seems like you’re the one making things up.

Having said that seems most of the caf rates him some too much and some not enough clearly

SirAF

Ageist
Arsenal fans, in particular, have a very strange hard on for Martial I've noticed.

Bobski

He is much more direct than Sanchez, far more willing to take his man on. The problem for him is that he will have a great 10-20 mins and then gradually drift out of the game. Too passive off ball, surprised Utd have not changed that by now, worked on him making runs behind, switching his game up instead of always waiting for ball to feet.

Trizy

Gave us much needed width and directness when he came on today.

Not sure why Mourinho wants 8 players all central with only 2 players (full back) giving us width. It just doesn't work, and it means we're ineffective when we try and counter teams.
This. Been a trend all season.

City have proven they can break down a bus-system and they use width from both Sterling and Sane along with 2 full backs.

We seem to crowd the oppositions box while we're all being man-marked. Our movement is too static and I dunno why. Maybe it's just the nature of the players we've signed or maybe it's from the lack of attacking coaching. If you look at City, it's like all of them know exactly where to be in every possible attacking situation and where they should be moving too, dragging the opposition all over the box and thus creating space.

Actually Ive read some posts which have said we should cash in on him and buy a right winger because he hasnt progressed much and hasnt put in the effort and is a sulker. Seems like you’re the one making things up.

Having said that seems most of the caf rates him some too much and some not enough clearly
That doesn't mean people don't rate him Cass. It simply means that some fans see the talent but think we could buy someone who fits the team better.

And in fairness, the amount of fans with that opinion is a tiny minority.

Last edited:

vangagal

The fact is he is already better than Sanchez, and the gap will only get larger as he improves as a player. Not to mention Sanchez has already started declining, he lost a yard of pace this season, as was noticeable watching him play for Arsenal in the first half of the season.
:houllier::lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ok calm down :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.