Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Burton made him look like Messi tonight. Imagine what he'll look like against Liverpool's defence. :drool:

Sylar

Somebody made a point about this, but hes not a winger but a wide forward. I think that suits him best. I do wish sometimes we had a floating three up top who all interchange with each other. Would make a lot of use out of him, Rashford and Lukaku.

I was surprised he telegraphed that finish he did which was saved before his goal. Hes normally ice cool in those positions and was expecting a near post finish. Once that happened, you knew the next one he would defo score.

Great performance. Joy to watch especially when he has a beaming smile.

Just thinking of ways to get him playing and starting regularly in the middle, running at defences. Could he drop slightly back and play a 9.5/10 in 4231?

ManUtd1999

Mourinho: “Anthony Martial wanted to do things – some he did amazingly well, others not so well, but he was always trying and that commitment and happiness on the pitch is always important.”

Home&Away

You seem to always post some rubbish
Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't make it any less relevant. In my opinion; the whole fan Base was more happy with martial'performance as a central striker; by the time he fell injured in Europe - van gaal bought Rashford in & lost his spot there. Doesn't make him sh*t as a striker does it.
He was consistent & his finishing ability in front of goal that our fans talk about was shown as a striker that has progressively got worse the more he plays at LW.

Trashy short sentences with miniscule meaning.

He was used as a LW for the teams best interest & not for the best interests of martial during LVG's season as said so by himself - after that this is the first game he has played so narrow to the centre.

Anyway I'm done here - if you want to talk then talk.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Doubt it, long term option is always going to be Rashford. Unless there's an injury crisis, he won't be a part of the national team squad
Sorry but that’s nonsense. Martial has world class potential and it looks like he’s on the right road to unlocking it. He’ll be in the French team before long. Also, he’s a better option in that position than Rashford has his superior dribbling ability is made for it. A better finisher too. Those are facts I don’t want to start another debate on who’s better that’s not my intention.

Womp

idiot
Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't make it any less relevant. In my opinion; the whole fan Base was more happy with martial'performance as a central striker; by the time he fell injured in Europe - van gaal bought Rashford in & lost his spot there. Doesn't make him sh*t as a striker does it.
He was consistent & his finishing ability in front of goal that our fans talk about was shown as a striker that has progressively got worse the more he plays at LW.

Trashy short sentences with miniscule meaning.

He was used as a LW for the teams best interest & not for the best interests of martial during LVG's season as said so by himself - after that this is the first game he has played so narrow to the centre.

Anyway I'm done here - if you want to talk then talk.
His best form came playing out wide as a LF. In fact, you've made this point and I've explained it to you a while back, one in which you got the stats for and understood you were wrong in. He played the majority of that season out wide as a LF. In fact, he was playing the majority of his football out wide at Monaco before he even came to United.

Some of his best performances for us that season came from out wide, think the Liverpool game, the West Ham game. A lot of wide forwards start as Strikers, look at Neymar - arguably the best in the world in that role. He is great with the ball, an attribute that he won't be able to utilise playing through the centre as much - especially with the football we play. We play with movement, pace and attacking space, those aren't his best attributes at all. He shines when he is able to run at isolated defenders, which is what he can do out wide.

Lukaku is the perfect fit for our style of football as a striker. Strong, fast, can hold the ball up and get others involved, as well as running off defenders into space.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Meh, the chances of him staying at the club long term is slim to none. He isn't afforded the same luxuries as other players, he'll start a match here, be on the bench for the next one, maybe get somewhere between 5-25 mins. Odds are he'll be nowhere near the French national team for the world cup, and he'll move on to a club willing to play him
One person has to ruin the mood.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has his love life sorted itself out, then? I know he’ll always be a bit of a cold fish but he does seem to have a bit more spring in his step this season. A little less weight on his shoulders. I actually thought he started quite poorly tonight but got better and better and better. Some outrageous skills on display. Delighted he got MOTM. Fully deserved.

Home&Away

His best form came playing out wide as a LF. In fact, you've made this point and I've explained it to you a while back, one in which you got the stats for and understood you were wrong in. He played the majority of that season out wide as a LF. In fact, he was playing the majority of his football out wide at Monaco before he even came to United.

Some of his best performances for us that season came from out wide, think the Liverpool game, the West Ham game. A lot of wide forwards start as Strikers, look at Neymar - arguably the best in the world in that role. He is great with the ball, an attribute that he won't be able to utilise playing through the centre as much - especially with the football we play. We play with movement, pace and attacking space, those aren't his best attributes at all. He shines when he is able to run at isolated defenders, which is what he can do out wide.
Of course I know he was a wide man at Monaco that's why I was bringing up Henry - a player who relies on intricate movements shouldn't be playing in a position that needs big, overlapping pieces of skill to get past too many players at once.

Martial started as a striker here & looked good - he produced marginallu better numbers on the left wing spot because it's his most refined position aswell as him getting more games due to memphis being rubbish, rooney reliance and the rise of Rashford. Furthermore neither he himself nor LVG thought it was his best position.(admittedly this is something LVG kept changing). Ever since martial could not get a single game back at ST.

My point isn't necessarily about what was better or not; it is that for Martial to improve his game - he needs to be a striker. His game at LW has taken him as far as he can go. That is my opinion.

Womp

idiot
Of course I know he was a wide man at Monaco that's why I was bringing up Henry - a player who relies on intricate movements shouldn't be playing in a position that needs big, overlapping pieces of skill to get past too many players at once.

Martial started as a striker here & looked good - he produced better numbers on the left wing spot because it's his most refined position though neither he himself nor LVG thought it was his best position.(admittedly this is something LVG kept changing). We lacked a LW ever since memphis was rubbish & because of LVG's reliance on rooney & then the subsequent rise of Rashford; martial could not get a single game back at ST.

My point isn't necessarily about what was better or not; it is that for Martial to improve his game - he needs to be a striker. His game at LW has taken him as far as he can go. That is my opinion.
Which is where I disagree. He can be a phenomenal player off the left for us. He still has a lot to add to his game, whether it be movement and end product, but I'm confident he will and when he does he will be a huge player for us. He's still very young, he's nowhere near done learning. Footballers are always learning and improving.

Modern attackers are interchanging during the game so much these days that they don't really have a regular position anyway. We regularly see Martial down the left, through the middle and running down the right during the game.

Home&Away

Which is where I disagree. He can be a phenomenal player off the left for us. He still has a lot to add to his game, whether it be movement and end product, but I'm confident he will and when he does he will be a huge player for us. He's still very young, he's nowhere near done learning. Footballers are always learning and improving.
Fair enough mate but I see too many flaws to his game compared to him centrally.

On the left - defensive game is skewed, recently improved but a wayward cross, struggles to beat the first defender at an angle off the width of the field compared to beating the one central defender & being in front of goal. He is far from rubbish there but could be do better?

Centrally he has the ability to be deadly by such quick & intricate moves if playing behind someone like Lukaku - then as central partnership I don't really so what they may be lacking together.

Oneunited26

Sorry but that’s nonsense. Martial has world class potential and it looks like he’s on the right road to unlocking it. He’ll be in the French team before long. Also, he’s a better option in that position than Rashford has his superior dribbling ability is made for it. A better finisher too. Those are facts I don’t want to start another debate on who’s better that’s not my intention.
Until both martial and rashford unlock the potential consistently, both cannot play together out of just plan A and B. If they do unlock that ability and become the players we know they can be, then they have to be rotated and on the odd occasion like tonight play them together. There is nothing more scary when teams tire a rashford or martial fresh coming on has like a third freak wave washing the boat away. Would love to see rashford martial and lukaku play together, with mkhi playing off them

Eddy_JukeZ

Mourinho: “Anthony Martial wanted to do things – some he did amazingly well, others not so well, but he was always trying and that commitment and happiness on the pitch is always important.”
Don't ever feel like Jose truly praises Martial like some others in the squad.

Maybe motivational tool.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Don't ever feel like Jose truly praises Martial like some others in the squad.

Maybe motivational tool.
He definitely doesn't but, like you said, I think he wants more from him and will continue to push him. The way he handles him makes me wonder if Martial perhaps gets a bit ahead of himself and Jose wants him to keep pushing himself instead of believing he's there already.

Shimo

That was a filthy performance - would have been a 20 out of 10 with some of his normal finishing.

moodyred

Consistency is the key if Martial is to be in the first eleven. We know how good he is at dribbling past players and his finishing may be better than Rashford. However, he has not produced this kind of form on a regular basis. A world class player in the making.

Womp

idiot
We've got some top young players in the squad, exciting times ahead. With the level some of them play at, it's easy to forget Rashford isn't even considered an adult in America yet, Lukaku and Pogba aren't even 25 and Martial is only 21.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
so happy for him, I was honestly worried for him after last season, really didn't want it to end like it did with Depay...this year though he looks like an entirely different beast...I'm just wondering when/if Mourinho is going to drop Mata for example and start playing both him and Rashford together...I know it obviously seems to be working, and I'm not gonna go calling for him to fix something that isn't broken at the moment, though I think I speak for plenty of United fans when I say I really want to see both of them starting alongside Lukaku, because both of them have massive potential and the best way for a young player to reach his potential is by playing, obviously. And also because, while I have nothing against the little spaniard, I prefer both of them and what they bring to the team in comparison, but those are just my personal thoughts, I'm fully aware of how lethal Mata can be, despite at times seemingly doing in the game, he's always a goal threat because he has a knack for being at the right place at the right time, a skill which you rarely see performed to such a high degree even in most strikers let alone midfielders

Home&Away

Though it's just a championship team - this shows to me how many players he can come through with one single movement compared to when he is on the wing where he instantly bumps in to the next defender after beating the first man

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Has his love life sorted itself out, then? I know he’ll always be a bit of a cold fish but he does seem to have a bit more spring in his step this season. A little less weight on his shoulders. I actually thought he started quite poorly tonight but got better and better and better. Some outrageous skills on display. Delighted he got MOTM. Fully deserved.
I think the love life problems were overstated. I think his improvement is down to a combination of things:
  1. Good rest over the summer - no internationals.
  2. Going into second season under Mourinho knowing full well what is expected of him. Last season he struggled to adjust and there was no significant break to reflect upon things.
  3. Integrated with the squad more with him knowing at least a bit of English. On the tour he was laughing with teammates and I think it was a positive experience.
  4. Getting his confidence back. I think that assist against Real Madrid in preseason would have been a big confidence booster.
I also think he's relished having a bit of freedom rather than being stuck out on the left. He's moved around and switched positions with other players a few times this season and the play in the last clip posted shows what he can do with a bit more freedom.

Obiorahking_

Martial is probably a wanted man after that game. Seems to me he can't go a game without snatching ankles.

Faetheshire86

Somebody made a point about this, but hes not a winger but a wide forward. I think that suits him best. I do wish sometimes we had a floating three up top who all interchange with each other. Would make a lot of use out of him, Rashford and Lukaku.

I was surprised he telegraphed that finish he did which was saved before his goal. Hes normally ice cool in those positions and was expecting a near post finish. Once that happened, you knew the next one he would defo score.

Great performance. Joy to watch especially when he has a beaming smile.
Was discussing this during the match, under most other managers/systems that front three would be given license to go score goals, but it's just not Mourinho's way. I hope Mourinho can find a way to get the most out of all three. Martial won't be happy with cameos off the bench and league cup games, for too much longer and with performances like that, he wont be short of teams looking to make him the focal point of their attack.

Dante

Average bang
He's got ridiculously quick feet. But, his finishing let him down a bit today. That's not usually a weakness of his, though. Hopefully he can kick on. I think his biggest weaknesses are mental, so a confidence boost will mean a lot for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.