5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backrow Singer

There are four or five players at the club who almost sum up the problem for me. In a couple of weeks he’ll score a goal or he’ll have a decent game and the other half of the support group will show up and tell you all how wrong you’ve been to criticise him, how it’s someone else’s fault etc. A few games later the reverse will happen and there are a fair few players in our squad who that applies to.

To win trophies you need players who are consistent. Consistency doesn’t even seem to get mentioned anymore with regards to this football club, it’s a concept that seems to be forgotten about.

Slight difference now is that one half of the support group used Jose Mourinho as a way to defend those players. They can’t criticise OGS now because that would contradict what they said about Mourinho so it’ll be interesting to see how that effects their judgments I think.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There are four or five players at the club who almost sum up the problem for me. In a couple of weeks he’ll score a goal or he’ll have a decent game and the other half of the support group will show up and tell you all how wrong you’ve been to criticise him, how it’s someone else’s fault etc. A few games later the reverse will happen and there are a fair few players in our squad who that applies to.

To win trophies you need players who are consistent. Consistency doesn’t even seem to get mentioned anymore with regards to this football club, it’s a concept that seems to be forgotten about.
You gotta forgive people forgetting about consistency when there hasn't been any outside of DDG mainly the past 6 years, and if you read the board now some are saying he should be dropped for the rest of the season and sold as if great goalkeepers were all over the place. It's complete panic thinking all over the place around here.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm very much a Martial fanboy, but it's increasingly looking like your statement is spot on. Neither are up to the required standard. Certainly neither are good enough (yet) to hold the club to hostage for contracts way beyond their worth to the club.
I don't have anything personal against Martial, I simply look at his qualities and compare them with players playing for top teams. He doesn't meet the standard.

Does he excel as a goalscorer? No
Does he excel as a playmaker? No
Does he provide a mix of both? No
Does he have the mitigating factor of being an inexperienced player? No

I was a Martial 'fanboy' in his first season because he warranted it. If he could build on his first season he could have become a regular 20+ a season goalscorer, but he has remained the exact same player 3 seasons later. The hype has gone from him, he's entering Lingard territory of always being a young lad, except that's just his game, he plays like a teenager at 23 years old.

Classical Mechanic

I agree both are poor, but again give me a shout when Rashford gets to Martial's numbers in his first season or even his efficiency in front of goals in the following season before claiming anything about their future at strikers.
Martial has played 168 games for United and has 48 goals and 29 assists.

Rashford has played 166 games for United and has 45 goals and 26 assists.

It’s uncanny really. I guess advocates for Rashford could argue that he’s two years younger.

Ban

No, I'm saying he had a better season than Rashford ever managed. Simple point, really.

It’s uncanny really. I guess advocates for Rashford could argue that he’s two years younger.
Wooosh.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about though is it? Forget the fact that Martial is still outperforming Rashford in your example when the latter was in the best position to score goals, I'm talking over one season. I would just like to see Rashford have one season that matches Martial's at 19 before we talk about one being a certain striker while the other is just some fraud.

Read above, slowly.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Or you know, Rashford provides other qualities than end product to justify his place in the team. Martial without end product is a pointless player, Rashford without end product actually presses well and disrupts defenders with his movement.

I think Rashford can be the player Welbeck was supposed to be, someone that works hard for the team and scores 10-15 goals a season consistently

Martial is in the same mold as Salah, when he isn't producing in attack he looks like a pretty shite player. These types of players need to be scoring regularly because their general play is average. Martial on a bad day is like playing with a man down.

dogwithabone

Watching Martial makes me want to jump into my TV screen, grab him by the scruff of the neck and just shake the gutless useless **** into some sort of action.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's lost my support.

Get rid of him(if we even can considering his wages).

250k a week? WTF are we doing as a club to give him 250k a week?

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't like knee jerk reactions as a rule, but in regards to Martial I've simply had enough of him. Sums up the entitled stinking attitude in the squad at the moment. Puts in minimal effort and delivers once in a blue moon. I'd rather play Sánchez, Chong or Gomes for the rest of the season and sell in Summer. We wouldn't miss him.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about though is it? Forget the fact that Martial is still outperforming Rashford in your example when the latter was in the best position to score goals, I'm talking over one season. I would just like to see Rashford have one season that matches Martial's at 19 before we talk about one being a certain striker while the other is just some fraud.

Read above, slowly.
He never got 19 goals for us did he? It was 17 in 49 games and only 11 in 31 the Premier League. It was hardly the stuff of legend. It was more his potential set against the blandness of LVG’s football but he’s not improved at all in the following three years. Rashford is on 10 in the Premier League so could beat that PL total, he also had a hot streak this year where he looked brilliant. Rashford also puts a shift in for the team whilst Martial is one of the laziest players in the league, 2nd or 3rd worst for ground covered in a game out of the whole league IIRC.

There’s plenty of posters on here that think Rashford is a fraud as well, have you looked at his thread? Fact is that neither are good enough at the moment. Personally I’d stick with both of them and hope that Rashford improves with age and that Martial gets motivated and respects his more than generous contract.

crossy1686

career ending
With the performances he's been putting in, all the stroppy shit he's done under Mourinho, the stalling on a new contract, for me he's burning his bridges or he has burnt his bridges. I guess we'll find out this summer.

He's exactly the kind of player we don't need. This lad will never be Salah or KDB because he'd actually have to work hard to get to their level.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
With the performances he's been putting in, all the stroppy shit he's done under Mourinho, the stalling on a new contract, for me he's burning his bridges or he has burnt his bridges. I guess we'll find out this summer.

He's exactly the kind of player we don't need. This lad will never be Salah or KDB because he'd actually have to work hard to get to their level.
Doesn't matter we gave him a 5+1 contract (!!!) on a much higher wage. It's difficult to know what his wage is exactly but it's atleast double what he was earning when he came here, maybe even triple.

BiggusCrickus

Sell and get rid . Use to think he was going to be the next Henry . Got the talent but lacks the drive and heart .

crossy1686

career ending
He's lost my support.

Get rid of him(if we even can considering his wages).

250k a week? WTF are we doing as a club to give him 250k a week?
Same. I was in favour of selling him when he and Mourinho had the fall out, and I wasn't a defender of Mourinho but you can't have players doing that shit and expect to keep them. If we could combine him and Sanchez into one player we might actually have someone decent.

crossy1686

career ending
Doesn't matter we gave him a 5+1 contract (!!!) on a much higher wage. It's difficult to know what his wage is exactly but it's atleast double what he was earning when he came here, maybe even triple.
I'm sure a desperate Bayern or Madrid will match that wage during a summer of rebuilding, even Barcelona could be tempted. And to think we could have sold him to Chelsea last summer...

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He never got 19 goals for us did he? It was 17 in 49 games and only 11 in 31 the Premier League. It was hardly the stuff of legend. It was more his potential but he’s not improved at all in the following three years. Rashford is on 10 in the Premier League so could beat that PL total, he also had a hot streak this year where he looked brilliant. Rashford also puts a shift in for the team whilst Martial is one of the laziest players in the league, 2nd or 3rd worst for ground covered in a game out of the whole league IIRC.

There’s plenty of posters on here that think Rashford is a fraud as well, have you looked at his thread? Fact is that neither are good enough at the moment. Personally I’d stick with both of them and hope that Rashford improves with age and that Martial gets motivated and respects his more than generous contract.
Again, I've never claimed it was the stuff of legend, I've just said it was better than Rashford, who has had more time at a position more likely to get goals or assists from.

There's plenty of posters who think Pogba or DDG are frauds, it's a message board about a club playing football....there's not going to be much objectivity. I'm not saying they shouldn't be stuck with or not stuck with, but I do think they should just be two players competing for one spot, whether it's the left wing or striker. Neither of them should be automatic starters for this club after this summer, and just because they've made the mistake of paying Martial silly money, it shouldn't mean you'd have to do the same with Rashford but good luck explaining that to him/his agent.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm sure a desperate Bayern or Madrid will match that wage during a summer of rebuilding, even Barcelona could be tempted. And to think we could have sold him to Chelsea last summer...
Let's say he is on 200k a week. Some reports have him on 250k but papers tend to go overboard on that stuff. That means his contract is worth £50m, which will be the minimum fee we'd want, Martial will be unlikely to take a pay cut as well.

Bayern Munich's highest earner is on roughly 200k a week (Lewandowski). So Bayern Munich would have to pay a £50m fee and make him their joint highest earner, that would break their wage structure.

The only way we shift him is if the reported wages are completely off the mark and we are actually paying him half of what is reported. If we gave him a wage of 200k+ then he is nearly unshiftable.

Devil81

Let's say he is on 200k a week. Some reports have him on 250k but papers tend to go overboard on that stuff. That means his contract is worth £50m, which will be the minimum fee we'd want, Martial will be unlikely to take a pay cut as well.

Bayern Munich's highest earner is on roughly 200k a week (Lewandowski). So Bayern Munich would have to pay a £50m fee and make him their joint highest earner, that would break their wage structure.

The only way we shift him is if the reported wages are completely off the mark and we are actually paying him half of what is reported. If we gave him a wage of 200k+ then he is nearly unshiftable.

China!

McFeast

Sir Alex would never have bought Martial considering the amount that we paid for him. His mentality is so off from what you would expect of a player of a club, which should be competing for medals and I really hope that we can fraud some desperate club into overpaying for him, as I am not concerned about him being in the line-up opposed to ours.

Is he also not starting to become more and more one-dimensional? At the start of his time here he seemed to have a lot more variety in his game, but nowadays he just always does the same and even seems to have lost a yard of pace and no longer outruns any defenders.

crossy1686

career ending

I'll be fecking gutted if we wheel out the same squad next season. There are too many players on borrowed time and bringing new recruits into a toxic work environment isn't going to improve the situation. I'd even be happy with loaning certain players out at our expense just so I don't have to see them in a United shirt again.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'll be fecking gutted if we wheel out the same squad next season. There are too many players on borrowed time and bringing new recruits into a toxic work environment isn't going to improve the situation. I'd even be happy with loaning certain players out at our expense just so I don't have to see them in a United shirt again.
We gave Jones, Smalling and Young all new contracts. Mata's father/agent confirmed that he has been offered a new contract by us. I suspect these were all in the pipeline pre-Ole because a lot of stuff came out in the summer about Mou needing to do better with the players and that these players are good enough.

crossy1686

career ending
We gave Jones, Smalling and Young all new contracts. Mata's father/agent confirmed that he has been offered a new contract by us. I suspect these were all in the pipeline pre-Ole because a lot of stuff came out in the summer about Mou needing to do better with the players and that these players are good enough.
I don't know if I can do another season of this absolute bollocks to be honest, I remember feeling the same at the end of last season also or the one before, can't remember now.

Every manager we've had has said the same thing. These players don't play for United, they play for themselves. They don't deserve our support most of them.

Regarding Martial's contract. He's just signed on for a 6 year deal essentially. If we just don't play him for the whole of next season he'll soon find a new club at whatever salary he's willing to take.

Devil81

The player has to be willing. Martial is way too good for China and would never want to go there.
So was Ramirez, Carrasco, Hulk and Lavezzi.

What do they all have in common, greed!

Martial wouldn't turn down 400k a week, he's clearly driven by money as he's not willing to perform as a footballer.

Litch

I think he's on Ole's hit list. If he isn't, he should be. The lad plays when he wants to and not when we need him to. Yep some standout performances but def a fair weather player that emotionally appears fragile and sulky. I said previously, he's the kind of person where he's still pissed off on the Saturday match day cause someone parked in his space at training on the Tuesday....

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So was Ramirez, Carrasco, Hulk and Lavezzi.

What do they all have in common, greed!

Martial wouldn't turn down 400k a week, he's clearly driven by money as he's not willing to perform as a footballer.
Players with that level of greed tend to be from South America. I think Martial growing up in France would have dreamed of playing for a club like United, Barca, Madrid etc. I think he would favour a move back to Monaco than to China.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he's on Ole's hit list. If he isn't, he should be. The lad plays when he wants to and not when we need him to. Yep some standout performances but def a fair weather player that emotionally appears fragile and sulky. I said previously, he's the kind of person where he's still pissed off on the Saturday match day cause someone parked in his space at training on the Tuesday....
Ole's mentioned him once or twice now so I think they have an eye on his development. What annoys me is how he doesn't use his anger in a constructive way. He's the most typical sulking Frenchman I've seen since Anelka.

Sterling Archer

Mbappe is the golden child of France and he works thrice as hard as this kid. I just don't get how this is acceptable m

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
He's regressed so much since his first season with us. Unfortunately, I don't think he possesses the required mentality to make it here either.

ti vu

Sir Alex would never have bought Martial considering the amount that we paid for him. His mentality is so off from what you would expect of a player of a club, which should be competing for medals and I really hope that we can fraud some desperate club into overpaying for him, as I am not concerned about him being in the line-up opposed to ours.

Is he also not starting to become more and more one-dimensional? At the start of his time here he seemed to have a lot more variety in his game, but nowadays he just always does the same and even seems to have lost a yard of pace and no longer outruns any defenders.

I believed you're very right in regard of SAF.

tanikozo

Looking at this player I can not believe he used to score or assist day after day in 15-16. Hell even when he didn't score or assist he was always dangerous and I always trusted him to dribble past a defender or two. Now it's like he's playing in an infinite slow-mo.

Sterling Archer

Maybe PSG would take him? French connection and all that?
Whatever the personality jssue, there's always a team willing to take the risk in hopes of managing the character. I mean, Balotelli is still playing at the top level and he's a nut job . The issue is when we actually cut our lossea

Morpheus 7

The Anelka moody head on him, he's so talented but looks like he's not arsed constantly. His performances have been poor for a while, need consistentcy now. P.s feck Martial FC, bunch of wnkrs.

crossy1686

career ending
Whatever the personality jssue, there's always a team willing to take the risk in hopes of managing the character. I mean, Balotelli is still playing at the top level and he's a nut job . The issue is when we actually cut our lossea
I think we'd be happy to take a loss on all the players we want gone. We won't get what we paid or more if we sell, we never do. Players only leave United when we're done with them, or at least that used to be the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.