5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickle85

I’ve no idea really but my point is I don’t think the reason he is injured is because he is lazy. Do you? You see him get injured and you think - that’s because he’s lazy?

I know plenty of people don’t rate him. I’m on the fence myself, although he does have some qualities, I think. On the down side, he’s inconsistent and is often injured. All I’m saying is the latter of these is not his fault.
Fair enough, I see your point. I personally don't think he'll put himself out to get on the pitch and I do suspect that he's probably quick to cry injury but he could also just be extremely unlucky.

OrcaFat

In some ways you are oversimplifying the complexity of preparation in this context and the definition of an injury prone player. I’m specifically referring to muscle injuries.

For footballers, the vast majority of muscle injuries arise from the 4 main muscle groups of the lower limbs. Martial appears to be experiencing these at a far higher frequency than one would expect. Of course, we haven’t been told of the exact nature of his injury - I.e same muscle group, different muscle groups etc so to a certain extent I am generalising; but risk factors for injury include inappropriate training methods or non compliance with injury prevention training programmes. They are preventable to some extent.

I would’ve thought that United have a pretty uptodate advice and guidance system for its players so if repeated muscle injuries are a problem for a specific player, then it’s only natural to question the player’s adherence to training and recovery recommendations.
The vast majority of training and recovery is supervised by the club.

Do you really think all players have equal physical durability? Do you really think all players who get injured more than average must be to blame?

Trophy Room

The vast majority of training and recovery is supervised by the club.

Do you really think all players have equal physical durability? Do you really think all players who get injured more than average must be to blame?
Of course not but physical durability is modifiable with the correct work. There are plenty of examples of this.

Similarly, supervision from club physio’s and doctors can only work to a certain extent. The onus is on the player to go the extra mile and we do know from studies that non-compliance with injury prevention programmes for example is a problem. The latter is a far more plausible explanation than one where Martial is just unlucky and cannot do anymore!

OrcaFat

Of course not but physical durability is modifiable with the correct work. There are plenty of examples of this.

Similarly, supervision from club physio’s and doctors can only work to a certain extent. The onus is on the player to go the extra mile and we do know from studies that non-compliance with injury prevention programmes for example is a problem. The latter is a far more plausible explanation than one where Martial is just unlucky and cannot do anymore!
Why is it more plausible? I don’t discount it as a possibility but see no reason to default to that assumption.

I don’t think there is any onus on going the extra mile. When he is training and recovering he should do exactly as instructed - no less but also no more (as I’m sure you know, from studies).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s never been injured this much before. Feck knows what has happened this season, probably just terrible luck, but whatever it is it won’t do for us. A reliable centre forward of top quality would do fantastic things for this team, and it’s actually been a very impressive effort by the team by doing this well in the main without a proper striker all season.
I think the likeliest scenario is that he has historically been used to low intensity training, and barely pressing in games. Since ETH came, the training intensity has been through the roof, as has the pressing demands on the forwards.

Anyone who says he doesn’t give 100% when he plays, is cross eyed or has an agenda. Even ETH himself has said how hard he presses, and how important he is for the team. The problem I believe is that he’s gone from this incredibly low intensity environment, where he was virtually surplus to requirements (out on loan last season), to high intensity and a central figure. His body just hasn’t adjusted and he’s picking up tons of soft tissue injuries. Whenever he’s played this season, he has worked his socks off. He just can’t stay fit.

All the comments about him taking the piss or stealing a living, are the comments of mouth frothing idiots. However, the reality is that if his body can’t adjust to this training and playing intensity, and he’s constantly injured, then you have no choice but to replace him in the squad. I think that’s very different from being angry and vitriolic towards him, for being injured. If Martial wasn’t putting in the effort, ETH wouldn’t talk so highly of him and wouldn’t even put him on the bench, let alone make him a central figure in the team. There is overwhelming evidence to back that up.

So people just need to cool it with the hyperventilating hatred. I appreciate the frustration. I’m frustrated too. We are much better with him in the team. And if he can’t stay fit, he’ll have to be replaced in the summer. But the suggestions this is some Machiavellian plan to steal wages or be lazy, is just preposterous.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think the likeliest scenario is that he has historically been used to low intensity training, and barely pressing in games. Since ETH came, the training intensity has been through the roof, as has the pressing demands on the forwards.

Anyone who says he doesn’t give 100% when he plays, is cross eyed or has an agenda. Even ETH himself has said how hard he presses, and how important he is for the team. The problem I believe is that he’s gone from this incredibly low intensity environment, where he was virtually surplus to requirements (out on loan last season), to high intensity and a central figure. His body just hasn’t adjusted and he’s picking up tons of soft tissue injuries. Whenever he’s played this season, he has worked his socks off. He just can’t stay fit.

All the comments about him taking the piss or stealing a living, are the comments of mouth frothing idiots. However, the reality is that if his body can’t adjust to this training and playing intensity, and he’s constantly injured, then you have no choice but to replace him in the squad. I think that’s very different from being angry and vitriolic towards him, for being injured. If Martial wasn’t putting in the effort, ETH wouldn’t talk so highly of him and wouldn’t even put him on the bench, let alone make him a central figure in the team. There is overwhelming evidence to back that up.

So people just need to cool it with the hyperventilating hatred. I appreciate the frustration. I’m frustrated too. We are much better with him in the team. And if he can’t stay fit, he’ll have to be replaced in the summer. But the suggestions this is some Machiavellian plan to steal wages or be lazy, is just preposterous.
Seconded.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

All I am saying is that anything is possible and none of us can edge towards one likely set of reasons explaining his injury proneness based on the information we have.

UnitedRepublic

Someone give this man a like and pin this post so it doesn’t get lost.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

There probably is some truth to this. I remember when Ole first came in and had us playing a much higher-tempo game we quickly got a lot of injuries throughout the squad. Pretty sure the same thing happened when Klopp took over Liverpool as well. That sudden change from low intensity to high intensity creates a lot more stress on the body than it's used to.

However Martial has been struggling with injuries for a couple of years now. So he already was injury prone, which may well be made worse by a higher intensity playstyle.

Djemba-Djemba

Absolute waste of space.
If I remember correctly he was absolutely fecking appalling that game too, possibly his worst ever game for Utd.

With Martial it's now similar to how it was with Pogba. Whether you love Martial and think hes amazing or you dislike Martial and think he's overrated it doesn't really matter. His fitness record is diabolical and that is the main issue, that is why he cannot be relied upon anymore and if we can get a decent fee I'd want us to move him on.

Oranges038

If I remember correctly he was absolutely fecking appalling that game too, possibly his worst ever game for Utd.

With Martial it's now similar to how it was with Pogba. Whether you love Martial and think hes amazing or you dislike Martial and think he's overrated it doesn't really matter. His fitness record is diabolical and that is the main issue, that is why he cannot be relied upon anymore and if we can get a decent fee I'd want us to move him on.
Losing to the bottom side and that was the day he was standing still when everyone else was running around and by him to press or get on the ball.

Last time he should have ever played for the club.

mckenzie79

I have never read so much bollocks in all my life.

Where is this overwhelming evidence?

Missing 18/19 games so far this season?

ETH praising Rashford for playing through the pain barrier v City whilst mentioning how Martial had to come off injured, how sometimes you get injured playing football, but the game goes on, deal with it?

The biggest laugh is you say he works hard.....does he feck. Weghorst runs 3 times as much as Martial at least. Martial is a luxury player, and even then his record in the last years in relation to games or goals is appalling for a team with any kind of aspiration. The crowd are shouting at him to press or run more during homes games, nearly as much as for De Gea to catch a ball. He's gone in the summer 100%, and we won't miss him in the slightest.

He might score another 5 goals this season and Martial FC will be saying he is back, we're saved. Then 1 game later hes out injured.. It's beyond ridiculous now, he like Saha with a quarter of the talent. Its in his head, if he gets kicked he has to come off and he's out for the week, a month, 3 months, whatever.

Strelok

Imo it's a bit daft to blame a player for getting injured. Not a single player want to and they all do their best to not to. Sometime it's just bad luck or simply their body is not made for this sport.

Anyway imo his career is finished here unless some miracle happens like he could stay fit for the rest of the season. Next season ETH will aim for the title and absolutely no way he'd let his main striker to be unavailable for the majority of games.

Scottynaldinho

He might still have a decent career here. It's not like his knees are shot.

Small niggles can be dealt with as we've seen with Giggs, Robben, Ribery etc.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He might still have a decent career here. It's not like his knees are shot.

Small niggles can be dealt with as we've seen with Giggs, Robben, Ribery etc.
The big difference is that the players you mentioned were World Class on the pitch when they played. Martial is not and when he plays a couple of games to regain form he gets injured again and the circle repeats itself.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I suppose we have no option really. When he plays he’s very important for us but his fitness issues are hard to believe. It’s as if his legs suddenly turned into clay.

If he could stay for he’d ideally be one of our two number 9s.

Raven

If we can find a buyer then this seems like the only option we're left with. It's a shame because he's such a natural talent and makes the game look easy when he's at his best. Hope he can get over his injuries and make the most of the rest of his career.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Best for both. He's injured far too often, isn't the type to be a squad player but also is useless at that because he's always injured. He needs to rebuild himself at a club where he can play regularly but also become fit himself.

Glorio

They were saying how Martial was the answer and everything Ronaldo wasn't.
Totally wrong really, and we're back to the reality we of the last few years, knowing we need a proper striker in there.
Did they? When Ronaldo was here, I wanted Ronaldo out as much as anyone, but he wasn't keeping Martial out.
When Martial was fit, he played, and rightly so as he did much better than Ronaldo individually, and the team did much better as well. Problem was he was rarely fit.

People wanted Ronaldo gone because of Ronaldo (no bearing at all on Martial getting opportunities as ETH obviously favoured Martial) - Ronaldo was a problem in the dressing room, was consistently the worst player on the pitch, and affected the performances of everyone around him.

I like Martial as much as or more than most folks do, but even I know a serious team can't rely on him because of his fitness record.

Like me though, most were at best hoping he'd buck the trend and stay fit, but a lot on here were understandably dismayed that we didn't get a striker in the summer

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I used think being a substance addict was the only condition people could get mad at you for having. Now I realise it isn't. Being injured another one, at least in Martial's case anyway.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His injury problem we already know. What surprised me is how much Ten Hah rates him and we really do look much better with him playing more often than not. Its a shame for all parties involved.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Could have been a world beater but once you start picking up recurring injuries that keep you out for months on end it's over for you as a player. He's been unlucky but I'd say his attitude and commitment have been questionable too.

Newstyle

He is gone. Haven’t played a full 90 min for United for over 2 years. Who in the right mind would keep him?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
As his original transfer fee has already been amortised, whatever we sell him for would count as pure profit for FFP purposes. But assuming we do sell him, that would indicate we are bringing in two 9s, because he’s the only one permanently on our books. Unless the club has decided to reincorporate he who shall not be named.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Could have been a world beater but once you start picking up recurring injuries that keep you out for months on end it's over for you as a player. He's been unlucky but I'd say his attitude and commitment have been questionable too.
How did he get injured anyway? He played what - 20-30 mins scored and didn't appear to be struggling with anything

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We will need two number 9s this summer if he can’t overcome his injury problems.

Sylar

So defo out the Leeds game too.
Standard cameo, looks decent or scores then out for a while.

Shame but need a break and change for both sides

jem

I agree with this. I'm a big fan of Martial when he's on the pitch, but given that that is becoming an increasingly rare sight these days, it's probably best to move on from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.