Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Does the PL account for 2-3% of professional footballers? That doesn't sound right.
I doubt it, 2 or 3% is a guess, I should have said probably, but lets hypothetically say there's 100K pro footballers, worldwide, how many of those could play PL standard? 2-3K would be a reasonable possibility?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think you should target the “unfair” system which enables the elite pro players earning much more than regular people, rather than attacking those players who earn the high pay by being an elite player, no?
Please tell me what I had said that indicates I am attacking them?

The point is I don't need to have the right to feel sorry to these employees who are getting lot of money for a reason of being injury prone when there are people out there struggling to even live or eat. If I want to feel sorry to footballers, then for something that I will feel sorry to Ronaldo who lost his kid, that's something I have right to feel sorry.

city-puma

I doubt it, 2 or 3% is a guess, I should have said probably, but lets hypothetically say there's 100K pro footballers, worldwide, how many of those could play PL standard? 2-3K would be a reasonable possibility?
I think 2% is already hugely overestimated number.

city-puma

Please tell me what I had said that indicates I am attacking them?

The point is I don't need to have the right to feel sorry to these employees who are getting lot of money when there are people out there struggling to even live or eat.
Of course you have every right to think the other persons by taking account of their income level and feel whatever you want to. You didn’t use explicit words to attack directly but imply it. At least, it’s my reading. If you didn’t mean it, it’s my fault. Forgive me.
No matter what, if you feel the system is unfair, you can lead a movement to change it. Of course, you can also just complain and do nothing.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I had a google and if I've not mangled the numbers then supposedly just under 0.5% of pro players are currently playing for PL clubs, so you might not be far off with that.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think 2% is already hugely overestimated number.
A quick Google search brought Soccer Prime - according to them, and I've no idea if this is accurate:

With 275 million active soccer players, there are 128,983 players that do it professionally. This means that 0.00047% of all soccer players in the world are professionals, England has 5,935 so I would say that my 2-3% is actually way over estimated!

city-puma

A quick Google search brought Soccer Prime - according to them, and I've no idea if this is accurate:

With 275 million active soccer players, there are 128,983 players that do it professionally. This means that 0.00047% of all soccer players in the world are professionals, England has 5,935 so I would say that my 2-3% is actually way over estimated!
The context is EPL, then the total is far less than 5.9k. 20 teams x 30 first team players. That’s 600. Yeah, that’s why they belong to elite group. There are countless players from everywhere in the world to play in Norwegian league, Swiss league, Greece league, Russian league, etc.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Of course you have every right to think the other persons by taking account of their income level and feel whatever you want to. You didn’t use explicit words to attack directly but imply it. At least, it’s my reading. If you didn’t mean it, it’s my fault. Forgive me.
No matter what, if you feel the system is unfair, you can lead a movement to change it. Of course, you can also just complain and do nothing.
I definitely don't celebrate or feel happy that Martial injured.

But at the same time I don't feel sorry. Someone asked me why and I explained these footballers are just employee that got paid higher. Being injury prone while still getting huge payment isn't something I need to feel sorry about.

Not every countries have the money to have the same system!! You need to feel blessed what you have been given, Martial is given to earn so much money that's a bless he was given to be able to feed his family and make them happy, there are lot of people out there couldn't. And if his problem is injury prone then I don't need to feel sorry about that.

city-puma

I definitely don't celebrate or feel happy that Martial injured.

But at the same time I don't feel sorry. Someone asked me why and I explained these footballers are just employee that got paid higher. Being injury prone while still getting huge payment isn't something I need to feel sorry about.

Not every countries have the money to have the same system!! You need to feel blessed what you have been given, Martial is given to earn so much money that's a bless he was given to be able to feed his family and make them happy, there are lot of people out there couldn't. And if his problem is injury prone then I don't need to feel sorry about that.
I take your point. Let’s move on. We need a new striker next season. I guess that’s what we agree with each other for sure.

bringbackbebe

One game of the year where you wanted him to be fit and he crocks. Can't blame anyone but ourselves for getting into this position.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The context is EPL, then the total is far less than 5.9k. 20 teams x 30 first team players. That’s 600. Yeah, that’s why they belong to elite group. There are countless players from everywhere in the world to play in Norwegian league, Swiss league, Greece league, Russian league, etc.
Don't forget that a large % of PL players, according to the CAF, are Championship level at best :confused:

city-puma

Don't forget that a large % of PL players, according to the CAF, are Championship level at best :confused:
Yeah, that’s true. :lol: In fact, they are not very wrong in some sense, because championship is full of international players. They are also quite elite already.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
FFS, yet another massive advantage for City. I had a feeling Martial was gonna play well in that game as well.

It just hasn’t happened for him at Utd and I think he’d be better suited to going somewhere like the French league and starting anew.

We’ll always have that majestic debut.

Such a talented player on his day.

Pickle85

Did not know you were a body language expert and also Martial's therapist.
It's an opinion on a forum. If we're only able to have opinions on players if we know them and the internal workings of the club intimately, I think you'll find that there'll be quite a dramatic decline in posting activity.
He did forgo a sizeable chunk of his wages at one point in order to get a loan to Sevilla, so unless this was merely an act of charity I suspect he prefers playing football to not doing so.
Eh? This article says they paid all of his wages: https://theathletic.com/3511869/202...united-to-sign-anthony-martial-on-loan/?amp=1. There's also a Guardian article that says the same thing. Only other one I can find that says different is a Goal.com one, which doesn't seem to be as reliable a source.
Id say well above 95% of people who devote their entire lives to become professional footballers, love the sport. It'd have to be something like less than 0.1% of footballers who genuinely don't care for it but somehow hit that random spot of playing it despite not liking it much, being ridiculously good at it but then devoting their lives to it anyway.

But anyway. Players have their goals and their aspirations. Just because they have money doesn't mean they don't get frustrated when their bodies let them down. To think differently is downright mad, they are human beings too and somebody earning a lot of money doesn't make them anything different.
No offense, but you're pulling those numbers from absolutely nowhere, based on absolutely nothing. As to the second paragraph, with most footballers I would agree but with Martial I suspect he's less bothered. That's also based on nothing but an opinion, so you're obviously free to disagree.
Thanks for such an eloquently framed rebuttal. Are you really naive enough to think that Ten Haag would say 'yeah, he's injured again but doesn't seem that fussed to be honest', or do you think that's unlikely?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The way I see it, we've been lucky he's been sort of available in these past few weeks, with Rashford being absent. I knew it was never gonna last and I'm defo not surprised he broke down like an old car.
We will surely need to play to 2 new attacking players and I'm afraid that budget wise, it won't be enough considering we need a CM and a CB too

Jev

Rose-tinted glasses off.

Injuries galore doesn't justify the wage and squad place. He has now made it ever more difficult to sell on the market where there are so many better options.

Terminating his contract seems like a more logical decision.

You're emotionally connected. So am I. I admire when he does well and I want him to do well. But we're also a business that needs funds to win trophies. Business is business.
I didn't say we should keep around so I don't get your post. I said that when he was good, he was good.

Nickelodeon

Rose-tinted glasses off.

Injuries galore doesn't justify the wage and squad place. He has now made it ever more difficult to sell on the market where there are so many better options.

Terminating his contract seems like a more logical decision.

You're emotionally connected. So am I. I admire when he does well and I want him to do well. But we're also a business that needs funds to win trophies. Business is business.
Terminating his contract gets us nothing. We'll end up paying at least 75-80% of his contract. Better to have him around like Phil Jones and consider any minutes we get out of him as a bonus.

Keanes Magic Hat

Terminating his contract gets us nothing. We'll end up paying at least 75-80% of his contract. Better to have him around like Phil Jones and consider any minutes we get out of him as a bonus.
Agree, I like Martial but his time is up and latest injury so frustrating. If we can sell then let's do it, if not let him see out his contract and help us when he is fit. No point terminating gets us nowhere

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Sigh. Love the guy but his body isn't cut out for football anymore

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
ETH must be so frustrated to lose Martial so often, in such crucial games. Hopefully puts pressure on the board to get a new CF.

It's sad to see things going this way, but the Martia-as-our-CF-experiment should be a wrap under EtH after that.

OL29

Thanks for such an eloquently framed rebuttal. Are you really naive enough to think that Ten Haag would say 'yeah, he's injured again but doesn't seem that fussed to be honest', or do you think that's unlikely?
Well if that was really the case, there’s a lot Ten Hag could’ve said without going out of his way to praise him. Does Ten Hag really strike you as the type of manager to put up with such a poor attitude from a player, let alone go out of his way to praise said player?

Ten Hag also said he was determined to play against City earlier in the season (a match he got injured in) despite not being fully fit. Is Ten Hag lying about that too? Or is it more likely you’ve made up a false narrative? (which is a common theme in this forum to be fair)

Bogga

Saha and Hargreaves were also made of glass. They were world class when playing at least... Martial is more in the Jones department

Pickle85

Well if that was really the case, there’s a lot Ten Hag could’ve said without going out of his way to praise him. Does Ten Hag really strike you as the type of manager to put up with such a poor attitude from a player, let alone go out of his way to praise said player?

Ten Hag also said he was determined to play against City earlier in the season (a match he got injured in) despite not being fully fit. Is Ten Hag lying about that too? Or is it more likely you’ve made up a false narrative? (which is a common theme in this forum to be fair)
I would say that ETH was likely spinning a situation in which there was significant potential for fans to become frustrated and vocal against a player in such a way that it made said player appear more dedicated/desperate to play, yes.

OL29

I would say that ETH was likely spinning a situation in which there was significant potential for fans to become frustrated and vocal against a player in such a way that it made said player appear more dedicated/desperate to play, yes.
So in other words you’ve made up your mind despite being contradicted by the only tangible evidence available.
The way ETH’s openly disciplined Ronaldo, Rashford and Garnacho suggests he isn’t one to tolerate a poor attitude, regardless of status. Seems like a massive reach to think he’d go out of his way to continually protect Martial if what you’re saying about him is true.

mikeyt

Final nail, can't stay fit and when he does his contribution just isn't anywhere near consistent. Move him on for whatever we can get and bring in a young forward alongside a top striker.

Eddy_JukeZ

He won't be easy to move on with those ludicrous wages.

In reality, we should have got rid ages ago but the Glazeres vetoed any sale, because they thought he'd be a Ballon D'Or winner :lol:

Pickle85

So in other words you’ve made up your mind despite being contradicted by the only tangible evidence available.
The way ETH’s openly disciplined Ronaldo, Rashford and Garnacho suggests he isn’t one to tolerate a poor attitude, regardless of status. Seems like a massive reach to think he’d go out of his way to continually protect Martial if what you’re saying about him is true.
Guess so! Also, not all players respond the same to being handled a certain way. What works for Garnacho may not work for Martial. I also suspect ETH knows that he's stuck with him for the foreseeable and would rather have a satisfied Martial in the camp than an unsatisfied one. You're acting like coaches and managers always speak the truth about players and their issues/attitudes, which is naive.

Pickle85

I am done with him. Who's buying him? Can we get 15m for him?
I'd be amazed if we could, unfortunately. Given his wages, injury record and declining performances it would be an almighty gamble for anyone taking him on. He's not even top six material these days.

OrcaFat

He won't be easy to move on with those ludicrous wages.

In reality, we should have got rid ages ago but the Glazeres vetoed any sale, because they thought he'd be a Ballon D'Or winner :lol:
Yeah, was it ever “confirmed” that Jose wanted to sell him but was overruled? I believed it when it was being said at the time. Based on that I concluded that Jose had no chance working in that environment - non-football people getting involved in football decisions. EtH will walk if it keeps happening.

RiqCantona

I'd be amazed if we could, unfortunately. Given his wages, injury record and declining performances it would be an almighty gamble for anyone taking him on. He's not even top six material these days.
I think he might be useful in a less intense league. I'm sure there are teams in France or Spain who might find use for him.

OrcaFat

There’s no market for him, surely. If his contract gets mutually terminated (infinitely unlikely) he could start again somewhere but it would be a Michael Owen style pay as you play deal, I’d think.

Son

Absolutely useless in the squad as usual. Want him gone this summer. Get him off the wage books.

Can’t rely on him and truth be told even when fit he’s no real asset to a serious football team.

Mourinho was wrong to treat Shaw so bad but I feel that was tough love in some ways because he saw potential. Martial and Pogba he just wanted rid of. He was a pretty great judge of player in hindsight.

Pickle85

I think he might be useful in a less intense league. I'm sure there are teams in France or Spain who might find use for him.
Maybe, though I personally think he's past it now. But the real question is would they be willing to pay the sort of wage he'd be after? Unlikely I reckon, sadly.
There’s no market for him, surely. If his contract gets mutually terminated (infinitely unlikely) he could start again somewhere but it would be a Michael Owen style pay as you play deal, I’d think.
Yup, this sounds about right to me. As you say, v unlikely he'd go for contract termination without something that pays similarly lined up already, and I can't see who'd be willing to pay him what he's likely to demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.