Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He has played ~800 minutes for us so far. From those, in only the last 180 minutes against Barca and Leicester did he play a portion of the game as an Attacking Mid or Support Striker. And even then not whole game. You're making it sound like he has played 3/4s of his time as a DM or something. That's a pretty poor defence of his (lack of) effectiveness in front of goal.
I’m not trying to argue he’s a productive striker. He clearly isn’t, so far. But he’s only a few good saves/the width of a post from being acceptably productive, considering the role he’s been asked to play in the team and the sort of player he is. He’s obviously been signed as someone who can get the best out of those around him, rather than score a load of goals for us. Look at the way he created space for Sancho’s goal. That’s the sort of movement so often lacking from Martial’s game.

Mr.Hik

8y and people are still banging how he will become worldbeater
Waste of time and space.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has played ~800 minutes for us so far. From those, in only the last 180 minutes against Barca and Leicester did he play a portion of the game as an Attacking Mid or Support Striker. And even then not whole game. You're making it sound like he has played 3/4s of his time as a DM or something. That's a pretty poor defence of his (lack of) effectiveness in front of goal.
13th percentile in the league for xG. Those giant limbs are just too slow to get going, even when it comes to making a yard to get a shot off.

MadMike

I’m not trying to argue he’s a productive striker. He clearly isn’t, so far. But he’s only a few good saves/the width of a post from being acceptably productive, considering the role he’s been asked to play in the team and the sort of player he is. He’s obviously been signed as someone who can get the best out of those around him, rather than score a load of goals for us. Look at the way he created space for Sancho’s goal. That’s the sort of movement so often lacking from Martial’s game.
He slide tackles when he takes a shot. I don't think he's just unfortunate, it's also very poor composure/technique. In my opinion part of the reason Weghorst has been moved further back lately, is because he's been toothless in front of goal. His role has been changed to reflect his abilities. To attribute the lack of output to this very recent positional change was trying to deflect from valid criticism, for me.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I'm quite thankful he's here and he contributes what he can. He's an emergency loan after all. I don't hate the guy at all, I appreciate his unselfishness and hard work. I do also like his off the ball movement in dragging defenders away, which genuinely seems better than Martial. But he is clearly very limited on the ball and that's not because he's been turned into a workhorse. He's been turned into a workhorse because he is very limited on the ball. It's not just his finishing that is lacking. He doesn't hold the ball up, drive a counter attack, make runs off the defender's shoulder, or link up with his teammates anywhere near as well as Martial.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Which player was as injury prone as Martial the past 2 years ever bounce back to being fit again?

I don't think even Van Persie was ever as injury prone as Martial the past few seasons before he got himself regularly fit.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Which player was as injury prone as Martial the past 2 years ever bounce back to being fit again?

I don't think even Van Persie was ever as injury prone as Martial the past few seasons before he got himself regularly fit.
I dunno I reckon RvP is pretty similar. He had huge spells of injury before having a couple of monster seasons at Arsenal aged 28ish before moving to United, having one great season and then becoming injury prone again.

I think it’ll be a waste to sell Martial now. We’vepaid him so much money what’s another 3-4 years. I reckon he’s bound to have 1-2 good years and we should be the ones benifiting from them not someone else.

MadMike

I think it’ll be a waste to sell Martial now. We’ve paid him so much money what’s another 3-4 years. I reckon he’s bound to have 1-2 good years and we should be the ones benefiting from them not someone else.
Hm, can't say I agree with this sentiment. That's the type of thinking that led us to keeping Phil Jones for 5 year past his usefulness. And Phil Jones wasn't on £250k pw.

There plenty of strikers, of different profiles, becoming available on a free this summer. Zaha, Marcus Thuram, Giroud, Dzeko, Moussa Dembele... etc. If we want a cheap option for a backup striker, it's better to have someone who's more reliably fit than Martial and one who doesn't cost a bomb in salaries. Remember, there's FFP to take into account too.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I dunno I reckon RvP is pretty similar. He had huge spells of injury before having a couple of monster seasons at Arsenal aged 28ish before moving to United, having one great season and then becoming injury prone again.

I think it’ll be a waste to sell Martial now. We’vepaid him so much money what’s another 3-4 years. I reckon he’s bound to have 1-2 good years and we should be the ones benifiting from them not someone else.
Keeping Martial just because a similar situation occurred with RVP is not a wise solution, we have no guarantees Martial will ever be fitter than this last 2 seasons were he spent more time injured than actually playing.
He was injury prone even when he was younger but he missed like 10-15 games per season not 90% like now, it is becoming even more frustrating for us because we know he can be quite useful in our situation without having a decent striker option.

RVP had 2 incredible seasons when he was probably the best player in the league - 1 year for Arsenal 1 for us, honestly I don't think Martial can reach those heights.

Big_Bro

If you had asked me when Anthony Martial and Rashford burst into the scene, I'd have said Martial will have a far better career than Rashford.

I loved watching Martials silky skills as he approached and mesmerized opposition players, but the boy just gives up too easily for my liking. His shoulders drop at the slightest opportunity.

Judging from preseason, I thought this would be his breakthrough season, as he really looked hungry until injury struck. His injuries are definitely not his fault but when he plays I'd love to see more desire and passion.

Rashford is motivated and desperate for success. Right now he needs no encouragement.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

Top of my head, Robben till he started playing in stockings.

eire-red

Not jumping back on the hype-train of "now that we're playing well, when he comes back he'll offer us so much more."

Will he really? I feel like I've been down this road too many times.

SlimDizzle075

Not jumping back on the hype-train of "now that we're playing well, when he comes back he'll offer us so much more."

When he comes back he will offer us somewhere between 15 and 60 minutes of "what could be" before promptly hitting the training table for anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks. I am not Anti-Martial. I think the guy can play ball, would love to have him fit and contributing regularly. But with the frequency that he is not available, from the outside looking in its either 1 of 3 issues. either his body is falling apart already, he refuses to push himself. or he doesn't take good care of himself w/ regard to diet and gym work. its EXTREMELY frustrating. if we had all of Rashford, Antony, Sancho, Martial, Garnacho, consistantly fit and available in front of our midfield/defense. we would see some seriously jaw dropping football.

Last edited:

ManUnitedCanuck

Be nice to have him fit for the run in, but likely going to be time to sell in the summer. Unfortunately it just hasn't worked with the amount of injuries, was hoping for so much more from him and hope he proves me wrong!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Chasing losses mentality. The last two years should really be what we base potential contract talks / sale on. He's not been available. We need players who are available to play.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Well if ETH trusts him and uses him whenever available, that counts for something. What he's been saying about him counts for something. It's that simple

Irwin99

The sight of Rashford limping really does make me wish Martial would come back and give us a good month or so of consistent injury-free performances. Just at least one month as the games come thick and fast, please!

Jev

We've consistently played quite a bit better with him on the pitch than without this season.

Djemba-Djemba

Wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't play a single game till the end of the season.
I think we'll just get more of what we've seen all season.

He'll return, make 2 or 3 sub appearances, maybe start a game, then he'll miss the next 7 or 8 games. Then back for 2 appearances, then out for the rest of the season.

Immensely frustrating. It appears his body isn't cut out for top level football anymore.

Real Name

I think we'll just get more of what we've seen all season.

He'll return, make 2 or 3 sub appearances, maybe start a game, then he'll miss the next 7 or 8 games. Then back for 2 appearances, then out for the rest of the season.

Immensely frustrating. It appears his body isn't cut out for top level football anymore.
Yeah, he was injured, got back for one fekin game and he's been out since that game. Frustrating as hell.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, he was injured, got back for one fekin game and he's been out since that game. Frustrating as hell.
Every time he comes back I tell myself this is the one, the time he doesn't get injured again and solves our striker woes for the season then he inevitably gets injured and misses 10 games. Need to stop getting my hopes up.

United Hobbit

Apparently not fit for the final

The guy is genuinely starting to annoy me to be honest, complete sick note which leaves us relying on WW who's not good enough and was presumably signed in a supporting role but now has a leading role.

Someone posted Bruno's injury stats the other day and games missed, I'd love to see Tony's..

jackal&hyde

Barcelonas's Dembele.

MphoG

Every time he comes back I tell myself this is the one, the time he doesn't get injured again and solves our striker woes for the season then he inevitably gets injured and misses 10 games. Need to stop getting my hopes up.
Anderson used to be exactly like this, and look how that ended

Strelok

Seeing this thread got bumped my very first thought was 'don't tell me this guy got himself injured again' ... Anyway good thing it's not.

Chief123

The guy is genuinely starting to annoy me to be honest, complete sick note which leaves us relying on WW who's not good enough and was presumably signed in a supporting role but now has a leading role.

Someone posted Bruno's injury stats the other day and games missed, I'd love to see Tony's..
I honestly think Martial will be allowed to let go in the summer. You can sense the frustration with ETH as well in his previous interviews about Martials lack of availability.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's useless to consider as a squad member. Unfortunate as if he managed to stay fit I genuinely think he'd be a very good player. So unreliable though.

tomaldinho1

I bet this thread is basically how Sturridge's ended up at Pool. So much hope, flashes of brilliance but a body made from paper mache.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I've given up on him. Just see any game he does turn up as a bonus.

SAFMUTD

This season is by far his worst one regarding fitness. Has missed 24 games already.

Games missed by season:

22/23: 24 (still February)
21/22: 9
20/21: 17
19/20: 12
18/19: 10
17/18: 2
16/17: 2
15/16: 3
14/5: 0
13/14: 5

https://www.transfermarkt.com/anthony-martial/verletzungen/spieler/182877

United Hobbit

This season is by far his worst one regarding fitness. Has missed 24 games already.

Games missed by season:

22/23: 24 (still February)
21/22: 9
20/21: 17
19/20: 12
18/19: 10
17/18: 2
16/17: 2
15/16: 3
14/5: 0
13/14: 5

https://www.transfermarkt.com/anthony-martial/verletzungen/spieler/182877
That's appalling, obviously fair enough if he'd had a serious injury but he hasn't.

How many games have we played? We've had so many games, we need players to be available and able to contribute. He does not...

How did he get through a season without any missed games?!

Status
Not open for further replies.