5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

gasmanc

Banned
The difference he made when he was introduced was quite staggering, in a bad way, we had all that quality and to see the sudden gulf was really quite telling. We will likely see similar when Young is introduced back in to the fray but if we're to persist until January we can only pray that Rafael stays fit, perhaps try Young over there in Rafas absence.
Quite sad to see Valencia moping around the pitch as has been, he's so obviously bereft of any confidence in his own ability and it's affecting any quality he does have, he was never this shite before the injury but he's just not got the mentality to recover. Shame really.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The difference he made when he was introduced was quite staggering, in a bad way, we had all that quality and to see the sudden gulf was really quite telling. We will likely see similar when Young is introduced back in to the fray but if we're to persist until January we can only pray that Rafael stays fit, perhaps try Young over there in Rafas absence.
Quite sad to see Valencia moping around the pitch as has been, he's so obviously bereft of any confidence in his own ability and it's affecting any quality he does have, he was never this shite before the injury but he's just not got the mentality to recover. Shame really.
Why is Young going to be introduced back into the fray?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Valencia's one dimensional football used to work 4 years ago - I doubt he will have a role in today's team except being back up to Rafael

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Rubbish player and has always been. Players like this is the reason our football got worse. He only knows one way to play. I can't believe Ferguson went from Beckham and Ronaldo to Valencia, at his best I still didn't rate him. Very one dimensional and can't use his left foot.
Spot on. Never a United player and I couldn't believe it when we bought him. He's had half a decent season here a couple of years ago and difficult to work out how he's still on board. Mind you if Anderson is still hanging around anythings possible.

gasmanc

Banned
:lol:
Well yea, hopefully not but Rafas fitness is always a worry and just seeing that dip in quality as he left and Valencia came on, I would much rather see Young as a RWB than Valencia, at least he can actually pick a pass and use both feet.

jumpers for goalposts

Valencia's one dimensional football used to work 4 years ago - I doubt he will have a role in today's team except being back up to Rafael
Not even as back up to Rafa. Smalling might not be a bombing box to box WB, but he's defensively a hundred times the RB Tony V ever will be.

NK86

Which injury are you referring to here? The ankle break? If so, then he had his best half season of his career after he came back from that.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can't believe he can't speak English very well. Amazing.

gasmanc

Banned
Which injury are you referring to here? The ankle break? If so, then he had his best half season of his career after he came back from that.
Yea he came back in beast mode, it was like he was never out but the steady decline has been really quite shocking, perhaps he aggravated something by coming back so strong and now feels he can't trust his body. Would explain a lot given what we've witnessed from him, it's certainly a mental issue whether it stems from an underlying niggle or not.

NK86

Yea he came back in beast mode, it was like he was never out but the steady decline has been really quite shocking, perhaps he aggravated something by coming back so strong and now feels he can't trust his body. Would explain a lot given what we've witnessed from him, it's certainly a mental issue whether it stems from an underlying niggle or not.
I am not sure what is the cause. It mostly looks to me to be a mixture of him having zero confidence and defenders having sussed him out.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I am not sure what is the cause. It mostly looks to me to be a mixture of him having zero confidence and defenders having sussed him out.
Thats an accurate assessment. Its frankly tragic watching him these days. Its got to a point whereby I feel fans are starting regard him as a failure in the clubs colours(judging by some of the comments). The man used to be a hurricane. A major reason why we have won 2 leagues since Ronaldo left. I remember that San Siro game in 2010 agaisnt Milan when he came on for Nani and changed the complexion of the match.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think he will be off in January or July if we can find a suitable backup for Rafael. Van Gaal is a smart man, there's no way whatsoever that he will have failed to recognise how much of an issue Valencia is.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I think he will be off in January or July if we can find a suitable backup for Rafael. Van Gaal is a smart man, there's no way whatsoever that he will have failed to recognise how much of an issue Valencia is.
Depends if we can find a buyer. Not convinced he is even premiership standard to be honest.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Depends if we can find a buyer. Not convinced he is even premiership standard to be honest.
I think he'd do well at a lesser club that would have more need for his defensive priority.

Shark

@NotShark
His crossing is now certainly championship standard, or worse. He literally has no aim, or willingness to try and pick out a player. My 8 year old nephew even knows to look up and apply some technique when crossing a ball. It's shocking.

As a player, I'd say he'd still make the grade a a lower half PL club though.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Because he's fifty times the player Valencia is. As a limited squad player, Young isn't a bad option to have off the bench. He is a good player. Yes, I'd rather sell him but that doesn't look like it'll be happening anytime soon so I'd rather he come on in place of Rafael rather than the anti-footballer himself, Valencia.

Red_Aaron

I love Tony V, and don't understand the hatred he gets really but then I love all of our players after yesterday, even Ando that tubby rogue
Clearly he's not what he was anymore but he was a very effective player for a couple of seasons his confidence looks shot right now though
It looks like he's merely back up to Rafa under LVG which i can live with, he'll probably move on within the next 2 windows and i'll wish him well

NK86

I love Tony V, and don't understand the hatred he gets really but then I love all of our players after yesterday, even Ando that tubby rogue
Clearly he's not what he was anymore but he was a very effective player for a couple of seasons his confidence looks shot right now though
It looks like he's merely back up to Rafa under LVG which i can live with, he'll probably move on within the next 2 windows and i'll wish him well
I think that is the answer to my question of "Why are you not mad at Tony V for being awful?". The happiness of such a brilliant result after more than a season of crap performances and results has got you giddy :)

Devil may care

He's had a couple of spells out since which can't have helped but it does seem like it's confidence. His form suddenly dropped off from the start of the 2012/13 season yet he still won the penalty at Anfield where he absolutely roasted them for pace although even that was an example of him lacking belief once he got into the penalty area. It's strange that the media still seem to rate him quite highly but he's surely on his way out next summer unless Van Gaal and Valencia can somehow get him performing again.
I think the media are often lazy when it comes to rating players and in some cases even knowing where they play, like with Blind and Rojo. LvG's interviews give the impression he sees Valencia as a defender so until we get in a back-up RB I guess that'll be his get out of jail card.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Valencia needs to train up his useless left foot. With a Sunday-league left foot, he'd be making three or four crosses last night. With Valencias left foot, he had to pass it back to our defender. On the bright side - Valencia rarely make bad passes. Yes, he makes bad decisions, but even though his decision is bad, his passing is good (except for that one pass with his left(?) back to Blind or whoever it was).
I've never seen such a one footed player in my life, at any level of football from 5 a side kick about with my mates, to watching high level Champions League on TV. Honestly, it is a joke that he will regularly pass up scoring or assisting chances because he refuses to use his left foot.

Blue always red

He had that little moment where he used his ability and drove into the box past the fullback only to fluff a simple 5 yard ball across the box. Story of Valencia's last few years.

roykeane19

In the 2011/12 season Rafael and Valencia where my 2 favourite united players at the time, sad to see how far the latter has fallen

bugmat

Because he's fifty times the player Valencia is. As a limited squad player, Young isn't a bad option to have off the bench. He is a good player. Yes, I'd rather sell him but that doesn't look like it'll be happening anytime soon so I'd rather he come on in place of Rafael rather than the anti-footballer himself, Valencia.
Is your surname Hyperbolé, Señor? The man was key in 2 titles and losing a 3rd by goal difference. He may be rubbish now (due to zero confidence) but to call him an anti-footballer and imply that Ashley Young has ever contributed even half of waht AV has is the kind of fairweather fan behaviour we accuse other teams of having. I bet you were possibly one of those "fans: calling for Giggs to be sold when he went through that bad patch f form several years ago too!

AV should always be on the bench once Rafael and Januzaj are fit and in form (used only as a sub), and if we can upgrade on him in January we do so (upgrade on him and Young, sell Nani to Sporting also - start fresh) but the kind of denigration he gets from supposed fans is more embarrassing than his onefootedness.

Señor

Is your surname Hyperbolé, Señor? The man was key in 2 titles and losing a 3rd by goal difference. He may be rubbish now (due to zero confidence) but to call him an anti-footballer and imply that Ashley Young has ever contributed even half of waht AV has is the kind of fairweather fan behaviour we accuse other teams of having. I bet you were possibly one of those "fans: calling for Giggs to be sold when he went through that bad patch f form several years ago too!

AV should always be on the bench once Rafael and Januzaj are fit and in form (used only as a sub), and if we can upgrade on him in January we do so (upgrade on him and Young, sell Nani to Sporting also - start fresh) but the kind of denigration he gets from supposed fans is more embarrassing than his onefootedness.
I'm not a Antonio Valencia fan, I'm a Manchester United fan. Right now, that is exactly what he is; an anti-footballer. He offers the grand total of nothing.

He was great for us but now he's embarrassing and is a complete disgrace. He plays like a coward nowadays and currently Young is a better player than him. Obviously I didn't actually mean he's fifty times the player, but then again you knew that. He's shite and shouldn't start under any circumstances. I can understand if he's just started becoming shit but this is now his third season of complete turd performances and I'm sick of it.

And your little Giggs quip stinks of toprèdism. Let me guess? You were one of those that thought Moyes needed more time?!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

When was Valencia key to winning any titles? 2011 he was out most of the season, and Nani was key. 2013 he was garbage and contributed very little to the attack.

I'm not one of these who has an irrational dislike for him, he's actually a really likeable footballer (less so for football reasons and more so because of the way he conducts himself), but he's not ever really been key to anything. His two bests runs in the side have been in seasons in which we finished 2nd.

Señor

When was Valencia key to winning any titles? 2011 he was out most of the season, and Nani was key. 2013 he was garbage and contributed very little to the attack.

I'm not one of these who has an irrational dislike for him, he's actually a really likeable footballer (less so for football reasons and more so because of the way he conducts himself), but he's not ever really been key to anything. His two bests runs in the side have been in seasons in which we finished 2nd.
Good point. I hadn't realised that. The same applies to Rooney as well. His best performances (since '08) came in seasons we ended up finishing 2nd, 2nd and 7th respectively in the league.

No real point to that and I'm not trying to use it as a stick to beat Rooney with, I just found it interesting.

Dr Fink

Valencia and Januzaj looked woefully off the pace when they both came on. They couldn't live with the zip and pace of the passing. Fletcher will have no chance. Will Young manage? Valencia plays too safe. A back up player from now on.

Shark

@NotShark
Valencia and Januzaj looked woefully off the pace when they both came on. They couldn't live with the zip and pace of the passing. Fletcher will have no chance. Will Young manage? Valencia plays too safe. A back up player from now on.
Januzaj looked much better than Valencia. He nearly scored too.

Gannicus

Forget his 2014-15 "Performances"!

Fukking Antonio Valencia could have secured the prem trophy for us in 2010 when he was clean through against Blackburn (the 0-0 match near the end of the season) but he fluffed his glorious chance and made Paul Robinson look like Gordon Banks. The match ended 0-0 and with that, our title hopes began to evaporate.

fallengt

Amazed that some people still think he's still "okay" for whatever reason, he's the most one dimensional player I've ever seen in United shirt. I ain't denying he used to be effective but like for 1.5 season...now watching some Asian leagues is ten times better than his zombie passing.

For the fact that Welbeck, Kagawa are all gone, Valencia is extremely lucky that he'd signed new contract just before LvG arrived.

Amir

Fukking Antonio Valencia could have secured the prem trophy for us in 2010 when he was clean through against Blackburn (the 0-0 match near the end of the season) but he fluffed his glorious chance and made Paul Robinson look like Gordon Banks. The match ended 0-0 and with that, our title hopes began to evaporate.
He missed our only chance in a poor game, which came a week after we lost at home to Chelsea, thus giving them the upper hand. I'd hardly put that against him.

mufcwarm92

Christ. Ridiculous post.

mufcwarm92

I'm not a Antonio Valencia fan, I'm a Manchester United fan. Right now, that is exactly what he is; an anti-footballer. He offers the grand total of nothing.

He was great for us but now he's embarrassing and is a complete disgrace. He plays like a coward nowadays and currently Young is a better player than him. Obviously I didn't actually mean he's fifty times the player, but then again you knew that. He's shite and shouldn't start under any circumstances. I can understand if he's just started becoming shit but this is now his third season of complete turd performances and I'm sick of it.

And your little Giggs quip stinks of toprèdism. Let me guess? You were one of those that thought Moyes needed more time?!
Ah, scapegoat for the season settled then. Yawn.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

I remember that. It will always stay in my memory, and it will always piss me off because it was clear cut chance in which he proved how one dimensional he is(I am not blaming him for missing a chance, I am blaming him for being typical uncreative player that he always was), and probably because two years after that he scored impossible goal at the same stadium which could have won us the tittle.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Rubbish player and has always been. Players like this is the reason our football got worse. He only knows one way to play. I can't believe Ferguson went from Beckham and Ronaldo to Valencia, at his best I still didn't rate him. Very one dimensional and can't use his left foot.
Ridiculous to say that he's always been rubbish. Until about 2 years ago he was pretty good for us; not world class obviously, but he provided lots of assists (he honest to God used to know how to cross) and his pace on the wings actually used to stretch opposition defences. He's a step down from Becks and Cristiano, but most wingers are.

Gannicus

Valencia is a particularly tough situation for us, as club supporters, to deal with. On the one hand he was a key player in several of our seasons; on the other hand he's gone down downhill and stayed there. He did fluff a glorious chance against Blackburn in 2010, as mentioned above, but just a few months after that suffered a horrific injury. Against Rangers, I believe.

Going forward Valencia no longer offers much of anything useful (smashing balls into ankles and destroying counterattacks with far too much stand-up play), but he does make a decent (only "decent", but nothing more than that) sub for Rafael. And since Varela seemingly has no future at United we need Valencia to cover for the injury-prone Rafael.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Valencia, like most of our players, lost tons of confidence after last season under Moyes. You can actually tell the players who played under Moyes are much more hesitant than the new guys. There is nothing magical about Blind or Rojo, they're very good players, but they're not a Di Maria. They still looked much more composed than our players from last season, all of them, even Rooney and RVP.

People need to watch the season review for the 2012-2013 season and they will be surprised how different our players looked back then in term of confidence, speed and accuracy. They weren't all world class players, but they were far better than what we're seeing right now.

Señor

Valencia, like most of our players, lost tons of confidence after last season under Moyes. You can actually tell the players who played under Moyes are much more hesitant than the new guys. There is nothing magical about Blind or Rojo, they're very good players, but they're not a Di Maria. They still looked much more composed than our players from last season, all of them, even Rooney and RVP.

People need to watch the season review for the 2012-2013 season and they will be surprised how different our players looked back then in term of confidence, speed and accuracy. They weren't all world class players, but they were far better than what we're seeing right now.
He was shit long before Moyes could even think of managing United. Ever since he got the #7 jersey in fact. (2012?)