5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Stunk the place out as usual, light years behind the rest of the side. Just woefully out of his depth and the crowd knew it.

Browniee

"Here you go Antonio, here's to another 5 years. Please sign on the line"

Ffs

krazyrobus

I just had to laugh when he received a good ball from Rooney, actually beat his man and then....played a 3 yard pass to the opposition. If everyone stays fit, better invest in a pillow for your ass.

Ekeke

I agree brewlio. Valencia is an honest, hard working and humble player who's proved that he has the quality to play for us. Whether the injuries have taken it out of him or it's just a complete loss of confidence that's affected him, neither is a good reason to get so angry towards him. I know people are excited by their shiny new signings but let's not forget the players who helped us win trophies already.
2 years ago that would be a good point.

However, since then he's one of the reasons why we have fallen so far short of expectations. Last season was mostly about our wideplayers not doing enough to support our attack. He's very lucky to still be at the club

Winrar

I agree brewlio. Valencia is an honest, hard working and humble player who's proved that he has the quality to play for us. Whether the injuries have taken it out of him or it's just a complete loss of confidence that's affected him, neither is a good reason to get so angry towards him. I know people are excited by their shiny new signings but let's not forget the players who helped us win trophies already.
He's lost his confidence for over 2 years now... how much longer can we use this excuse to defend him?

We simply gave him too many chances and he has failed to deliver the past 2 years, and that's that. He's not getting any younger, he'll lose his pace soon or later. I think he's finished, unfortunately, like many of the fans here believe. He was a good servant for us couple years ago but now we have to move on because he's not good enough at this level any more, sooner we sell Valencia the better.

Cina

I don't buy this sort of revisionism. Similar things are said about Nani and the Carragher challenge even though he had a very good first half of 11/12, and if anything - it was the Koscielny challenge in that season which did him no favours. As for Valencia, he went onto have a good second half to the season in 10/11 and arguably outperformed Nani in that period which led to him starting the UCL final. In the subsequent season, he was one of the best wingers in the world and won our Player of the Year award. The issue seems to be mental and I don't think he'll regain his lethal form of the past and he's had enough chances, IMO.
Yeah, his drop in form is inexplicable really, it had nowt to do with injuries, I don't know why people constantly say that. He just came back one summer and decided to go from one of the best winger's in Europe to one of the most predictably awful ones.

birdy2121

Stunk the place out as usual, light years behind the rest of the side. Just woefully out of his depth and the crowd knew it.
The crowd love a boo boy and are often all to quick to jump on a players back. Valencia is not a beautiful player at all but can be effective with his direct style against the big teams who will push on far more and leave gaps to run into.

Please OT regulars dont hound him out of the club, for the service he has given and dedication and bravery he has shown he deserves more respect than that.

Haddock

Disgusted to see posters turn against him so much, he's been a terrific player for us and the last 18 months doesn't change the past. Let's not forget the players who have helped us win trophies. Mentally he just seems shot. Perhaps the new signings will see him lift his performances.

'Valencia doesn't look very smart'
'He makes me sick'
'an imbecile'
'an Ecuadorian Llama'

This is too much. He's still a Man United player people.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
2 years ago that would be a good point.

However, since then he's one of the reasons why we have fallen so far short of expectations. Last season was mostly about our wideplayers not doing enough to support our attack. He's very lucky to still be at the club
He's lost his confidence for over 2 years now... how much longer can we use this excuse to defend him?

We simply gave him too many chances and he has failed to deliver the past 2 years, and that's that. He's not getting any younger, he'll lose his pace soon or later. I think he's finished, unfortunately, like many of the fans here believe. He was a good servant for us couple years ago but now we have to move on because he's not good enough at this level any more, sooner we sell Valencia the better.
I'm not defending his performances here, just him as a person. There's a lot of hatred being shown towards him and I think that's unfair, and spoilt.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Feel a bit silly slagging off our players after such a great game, but the gulf between him and Rafael is just getting wider.

If Rafael manages to stay fit, i can't really see him getting much time this year
You've got to think he will be third choice at best when all fit.

LB/WB: Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Young
RB/WB: Rafael, Young, De Gea, Falcao, Irwin, Neville, Thatcher, Valencia.

thejtrain

If that's the role he'll get to play at most going forward, I'm happy for him to stay. But, managers do see somthing in him that us mere mortals don't.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thought he was doing brilliantly up until the 67th minute.
:lol:

Summed it up when he first came on and got the ball and stood there and a guy behind me shouted "come on you prick you're a winger, take him on".

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Can we post of his gif in the 70th minute when he pulled a Heskey? Actually post both together so we can compare. I think Heskey actually was the lesser of the two evils.

Cina

Disgusted to see posters turn against him so much, he's been a terrific player for us and the last 18 months doesn't change the past. Let's not forget the players who have helped us win trophies. Mentally he just seems shot. Perhaps the new signings will see him lift his performances.

'He makes me sick'
'an imbecile'
'an Ecuadorian Llama'

And people aren't slagging him as a person or anything, we're slagging his performances, quite rightly so. Nobody will argue against Valencia being a model pro and a good servant, but he's clearly not good enough for Utd anymore.

birdy2121

'He makes me sick'
'an imbecile'
'an Ecuadorian Llama'

Spot on, he is not a bad as the boo boys and perfectionists portray. It seems we need to have a hate figure and scapegoat to bully from the stands or in the case of most on here their keyboards. DO people forget how Pep praised him after the home leg in the CL vs BM? He can be quite a threat when we are on the counter and breaking at speed. What he does not do amazingly is play possession football as his passing radar is not the best but thats why we need to pick and choose the type of games he plays in. He is a squad player and not a starter and people should stop being rude and realize its a squad game and a long season.

Gannicus

I wonder how many years he will have to be dreadful for people to stop saying this.
Until we bring in adequate cover Rafael it's gonna be Valencia. Going forward he offers us very little now, but can close out a match at RB and not screw things up? Sure.

Getsme

And people aren't slagging him as a person or anything, we're slagging his performances, quite rightly so. Nobody will argue against Valencia being a model pro and a good servant, but he's clearly not good enough for Utd anymore.
Spot on.
You could see the difference today when Valencia came on, when he did beat a player his final ball let him down again, it's become to common now for it to be a blip. When he nearly tripped over the ball you could hear the laughing inside the Stadium, I actually started to feel sorry for him, not something you'd expect to feel for a someone playing for Manchester United.

izzydiggler

Spot on, he is not a bad as the boo boys and perfectionists portray. It seems we need to have a hate figure and scapegoat to bully from the stands or in the case of most on here their keyboards. He is a squad player and not a starter and people should stop being rude and realize its a squad game and a long season.
This whole 'people need a scapegoat' just doesn't wash with me. We won 4-0 and played better than we have in ages...what use is scapegoat today? Could it perhaps simply be that a lot of fans feel that Valenica just isn't good enough? The same thing was written about Cleverley, Fellaini, Anderson, Young etc and look how much better we were with Di Maria, Herrera and Blind in their places.

Early days but by spending big and removing some deadwood we looked a lot better...pretty obvious. You can talk about scapegoats, confidence, or past injuries but to return to being a CL contender, we need to continue the process and replacing Valencia is a necessary step IMO to get us closer to it.

togg

Just because a player was great before doesn't mean he will continue to be. Sometimes teams outgrow the skills a player has, and unfortunately for Valencia, lovely guy that he is, it's almost going to be cruel to play him. A fresh challenge for him would be best for him and United.

itso 7

'He makes me sick'
'an imbecile'
'an Ecuadorian Llama'

You said it yourself when you alluded to the ''past'' but sadly what happened two years ago doesn't earn us points now. It looks like he's failed to rediscover his form and I'm not sure how long we can overlook this fact.

birdy2121

This whole 'people need a scapegoat' just doesn't wash with me. We won 4-0 and played better than we have in ages...what use is scapegoat today? Could it perhaps simply be that a lot of fans feel that Valenica just isn't good enough? The same thing was written about Cleverley, Fellaini, Anderson, Young etc and look how much better we were with Di Maria, Herrera and Blind in their places.

Early days but by spending big and removing some deadwood we looked a lot better...pretty obvious. You can talk about scapegoats, confidence, or past injuries but to return to being a CL contender, we need to continue the process and replacing Valencia is a necessary step IMO to get us closer to it.
Did you watch the game their was an audible groan when Valencia did not produce the final ball to the crowds liking. That is what I mean by scapegoat - had Mata or Falcao done that there would have been no crowd reaction at all. Some players are judged on every miss placed pass as if thats all they do while others get away with it. I agree what use is a scapegoat today - I am defending a loyal player who some "fans" were groaning at.

Shark

@NotShark
Did you watch the game their was an audible groan when Valencia did not produce the final ball to the crowds liking. That is what I mean by scapegoat - had Mata or Falcao done that there would have been no crowd reaction at all. Some players are judged on every miss placed pass as if thats all they do while others get away with it. I agree what use is a scapegoat today - I am defending a loyal player who some "fans" were groaning at.
All I see are posters commenting on his performance when he came on the pitch in a thread that exists to do exactly that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
With Rooney, RVP, Falcao, Mata & Di Maria in the squad now poor old Tony V looks like a pub player in comparison. LVG must have seen something in him to agree to the club renewing his contract

Godfather

Ppl went very easy on him for a long time, it's just that he has reached a level of shitness most are finally sick of. Other players had a much harder time here.
Of course that's down to him being a likable chap and at least putting a shift in but that's not enough anymore to cover the level of performances he is putting on a table these days