View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Devil may care

The Baron Samedi of the right flank, when he comes and injects the zombie curse into our play.

I like Antonio, he was brilliant for us first couple of seasons.. never been the same though since that injury vs Rangers and sadly I don't see a future for him here.
That injury was in his first season 09/10, his best ever season for us was the season after, especially his form in the 2011 half. After that final where he looked so far out of his depth he's never quite been the same and has been really poor for nearly 2 years now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sadly he just doesn't look good enough for us anymore and hasn't for a long time now. Even at right back you want someone with intelligence and purpose to their play. Valencia just seems to have nothing in the tank anymore. His one main trick has become defunct and he now plays with no ideas or freshness.

birdy2121

All I see are posters commenting on his performance when he came on the pitch in a thread that exists to do exactly that.
Oh I was under the impression it was a thread about this season (Antonio Valencia | 2014/15 "Performances) not his cameo today.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ppl went very easy on him for a long time, it's just that he has reached a level of shitness most are finally sick of. Other players had a much harder time here.
Of course that's down to him being a likable chap and at least putting a shift in but that's not enough anymore to cover the level of performances he is putting on a table these days
Yep, whilst I don't agree with the insults etc (Ecuadorian Llama sounds quite funny though :lol:), it's almost that kind of sentimentality that's gotten us in our slump.

Players shouldn't be at the club based on what they've done 2 seasons ago. Fact is, he's just not been good enough for a top 4 club for a couple of years now.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't see why people keep bringing up how humble and nice he is as a reason to not criticise him.

He may well be, it doesn't change the fact he has stunk the place out for over two years and really should pull his finger out of his arse or sling his fecking hook and go and play for someone else.

Redo91

This guy is just incredibly bad. The buzz from seeing Falcao about to come on completely vanished once I saw Valencia beside him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Disgusted to see posters turn against him so much, he's been a terrific player for us and the last 18 months doesn't change the past. Let's not forget the players who have helped us win trophies. Mentally he just seems shot. Perhaps the new signings will see him lift his performances.

'Valencia doesn't look very smart'
'He makes me sick'
'an imbecile'
'an Ecuadorian Llama'

This is too much. He's still a Man United player people.
He doesn't deserve abuse but he needs to get out of this club asap. I actually wish he'd pick up a niggle so we don't have to play him and blood someone else as a backup to Rafael. I'd even prefer Ashley young.

Aboutreika18

The Baron Samedi of the right flank, when he comes and injects the zombie curse into our play.

That injury was in his first season 09/10, his best ever season for us was the season after, especially his form in the 2011 half. After that final where he looked so far out of his depth he's never quite been the same and has been really poor for nearly 2 years now.
Wrong, his injury was in his second season, 2010/11.

ottosec

That gif always cracks me up. :lol:

Surely his contract extension must be Giggs doing, I mean we haven't offered new contracts to the likes of DDG and Jones, yet we instantly offered one to Valencia as soon as LVG took over?

Shark

@NotShark
Oh I was under the impression it was a thread about this season (Antonio Valencia | 2014/15 "Performances) not his cameo today.
What?

It's a thread to discuss his performances, which will include his introduction today. A cameo that pretty much highlighted why he was dropped and why a large number of people don't think he's anywhere good enough to play in the team. The player he was two or three seasons ago doesn't matter, or his supposed niceness, which is up for debate seeing as he hardly ever looks like a friendly fellow.

FromTheBench

Sell him and get a decent backup to Rafael.

Sell Young as well and stick with 4 at the back.

Fahad Jawaid

The only thing that i want to say is, the reason we are in this position without Cpl football is because, we have let ourselves drop to this level and accept mediocre performances, while we should have been ruthless, and not let sentimentality, or past performances cloud our judgement, and expect players to come good.

On the otherhand i love the fact that LVG has axed plenty of players and moved players who weren't good enough for us. The difference between our other players and him was night and day, i am not expecting him to put ADM's level of performance, but as a Manchester united player i expect him to be at least competent at his job, just like Blind who without being spectacular, did his job perfectly well and i loved his performance, which is similar to Rojo who was solid and did well. I expect a Utd winger to be able to beat people, Cross properly and pick people out and atleast play with his head up.

Fahad Jawaid

I suppose those people are right who thinks it wasn't LVG who gave him the Contract, it was Giggs, if it was LVG, he would have continued playing him, and remember that video Scholes, Giggs and Phil discussing tactics and all they had to say was Valencia i like his pace. :lol:

birdy2121

What?

It's a thread to discuss his performances, which will include his introduction today. A cameo that pretty much highlighted why he was dropped and why a large number of people don't think he's anywhere good enough to play in the team. The player he was two or three seasons ago doesn't matter, or his supposed niceness, which is up for debate seeing as he hardly ever looks like a friendly fellow.

To end our healthy debate on his worthiness to ware the shirt: For me as a back up he very much is, esp if we go 5-3-2 as he is not a terrible RWB at all.
I have nothing more to add, but please don't boo Man Utd players on match days or even condone it as thats bad form.

Trust LVG and if he picks him or brings him on its because he thinks he has something to add to the game and he would know more than most as he trains him day in day out.

Devil may care

Wrong, his injury was in his second season, 2010/11.
I stand corrected, however I am right about the quality of his performances when he came back from it in 2011 in our run up to winning the league and getting to the CL final, he was fantastic over that period so I don't think the injury against Rangers is the cause of how poor he has become.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It was frustrating having him on the pitch, thankfully the game had been won. I do wonder how much longer he can survive here.

RORY65

I stand corrected, however I am right about the quality of his performances when he came back from it in 2011 in our run up to winning the league and getting to the CL final, he was fantastic over that period so I don't think the injury against Rangers is the cause of how poor he has become.
He's had a couple of spells out since which can't have helped but it does seem like it's confidence. His form suddenly dropped off from the start of the 2012/13 season yet he still won the penalty at Anfield where he absolutely roasted them for pace although even that was an example of him lacking belief once he got into the penalty area. It's strange that the media still seem to rate him quite highly but he's surely on his way out next summer unless Van Gaal and Valencia can somehow get him performing again.

RedStarUnited

Did you watch the game their was an audible groan when Valencia did not produce the final ball to the crowds liking. That is what I mean by scapegoat - had Mata or Falcao done that there would have been no crowd reaction at all. Some players are judged on every miss placed pass as if thats all they do while others get away with it. I agree what use is a scapegoat today - I am defending a loyal player who some "fans" were groaning at.
Playing for Man Utd does not mean automatic immunity. You want us to just be happy when Valencia keeps breaking down moves and making us play shit?

If a player is playing as crap as he is playing, for a period of 2 years, then I will not hold back my disgust.

Winrar

I'm not defending his performances here, just him as a person. There's a lot of hatred being shown towards him and I think that's unfair, and spoilt.
Off the pitch he could have the nicest personality on the planet for all we care, but on pitch he has been shambles for quite a while. Most of us are simply saying he was shit because he had a shit game as usual (at least based on the past 2 years). I don't know how that makes us spoilt, unless you are suggesting that we should accept constantly mediocre to awful performances from Valencia just because he was a useful player in the past.

As for verbal abuses like "he makes me physically sick" yeah, that might be harsh, but after couple of seasons hoping for him to be good again only to be disappointed game after game, I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

birdy2121

Playing for Man Utd does not mean automatic immunity. You want us to just be happy when Valencia keeps breaking down moves and making us play shit?

If a player is playing as crap as he is playing, for a period of 2 years, then I will not hold back my disgust.
Do you realize when you boo the player you also boo the manager. He picks him to come on and if LVG thinks he has something to offer at that time and you boo him, really you are also booing the managers knowledge of the game.

Haddock

Spot on, he is not a bad as the boo boys and perfectionists portray. It seems we need to have a hate figure and scapegoat to bully from the stands or in the case of most on here their keyboards. DO people forget how Pep praised him after the home leg in the CL vs BM? He can be quite a threat when we are on the counter and breaking at speed. What he does not do amazingly is play possession football as his passing radar is not the best but thats why we need to pick and choose the type of games he plays in. He is a squad player and not a starter and people should stop being rude and realize its a squad game and a long season.
And people aren't slagging him as a person or anything, we're slagging his performances, quite rightly so. Nobody will argue against Valencia being a model pro and a good servant, but he's clearly not good enough for Utd anymore.
I've got no problem moaning about his performances. It doesn't have to be personal, same thing with Rooney. His touch is poor, fine. He's a massive greedy porker with a hooker for a wife is pushing it. I agree Valencia's performances have been dreadful, it's like watching Charles Barkley in Space Jam when the Nerdlucks/Monstars steal his talent.

reelworld

I think there's a decent player somewhere inside him, but his lack of confidence is holding it back. Then again, if he can't manned up and find confidence in two years then he has no business playing for United. That play in the end of the second half summed it up for me. He was in acres of space on the right, one of the deadliest penalty box striker waiting in the box for a cross, but Valencia chickened out and opt for backward pass instead, which inevitably got intercepted and the move broke down.

wiz4231

Janko will take his place eventually.
I agree. We have till the Jan transfer window (hopefully Rafael will stay fit) Valencia simply needs to go, hes not good enough as a winger and hes not a RB. IMO Janko wouldn't be any worse at RB than Valencia is, give him a chance and he might come good. We also have Vermijl both of them should be given opportunities to prove themselves, Valencia on the other hand has out stayed his welcome, needs to be moved on and should take Young with him.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
To end our healthy debate on his worthiness to ware the shirt: For me as a back up he very much is, esp if we go 5-3-2 as he is not a terrible RWB at all.
I have nothing more to add, but please don't boo Man Utd players on match days or even condone it as thats bad form.

Trust LVG and if he picks him or brings him on its because he thinks he has something to add to the game and he would know more than most as he trains him day in day out.
He's not good enough even as a back up. Young is better, Janko can't be any worse I'd imagine, Vermijl can play there as well. The drop in performance level after Rafa went off was criminal.

And I heard no booing. In fact, he seems to be one of those players who gets cheered no matter what he does unlike say someone like Nani who gets booed for trying to be creative and make things happen.

John Blund

Valencia needs to train up his useless left foot. With a Sunday-league left foot, he'd be making three or four crosses last night. With Valencias left foot, he had to pass it back to our defender. On the bright side - Valencia rarely make bad passes. Yes, he makes bad decisions, but even though his decision is bad, his passing is good (except for that one pass with his left(?) back to Blind or whoever it was).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can't wait for the moment this guy's thread is no longer in the United forum.

NK86

Spot on, he is not a bad as the boo boys and perfectionists portray. It seems we need to have a hate figure and scapegoat to bully from the stands or in the case of most on here their keyboards. DO people forget how Pep praised him after the home leg in the CL vs BM? He can be quite a threat when we are on the counter and breaking at speed. What he does not do amazingly is play possession football as his passing radar is not the best but thats why we need to pick and choose the type of games he plays in. He is a squad player and not a starter and people should stop being rude and realize its a squad game and a long season.
I don't understand which games you watch but Valencia is only good for playing possession football. He passes it back and keeps it simple. Does not take on his man and hardly ever tries an adventurous pass. So if we intend to just keep things simple and not create anything, he is our man. If we want to see more of what we saw in the first half, he needs to leave for his own good.

Robbie Boy

He literally killed any attack he got involved in. What's happened to him? He has turned into an absolutely diabolical footballer.

legball

Rubbish player and has always been. Players like this is the reason our football got worse. He only knows one way to play. I can't believe Ferguson went from Beckham and Ronaldo to Valencia, at his best I still didn't rate him. Very one dimensional and can't use his left foot.

JoaquinJoaquin

Was very surprised he actually got a game yesterday, especially considering that Van Gaal had said earlier in the week that Shaw would get some playing time, I thought he would of maybe brought Shaw on for Rojo with it being Rojo's first game since the World Cup.

Like I said in the Newbies, Valencia comes across as a very timid character who's confidence seems to drain at the slightest mishap, And since the injury he has had seemingly no self belief at all, I really rated him before his injury but now I just fail to see what he brings to the team

Djemba-Djemba

Was very surprised he actually got a game yesterday, especially considering that Van Gaal had said earlier in the week that Shaw would get some playing time, I thought he would of maybe brought Shaw on for Rojo with it being Rojo's first game since the World Cup.

Like I said in the Newbies, Valencia comes across as a very timid character who's confidence seems to drain at the slightest mishap, And since the injury he has had seemingly no self belief at all, I really rated him before his injury but now I just fail to see what he brings to the team
That's the weird thing though. He came back from the injury and looked really good. He finished the 2010/2011 really well, albeit had a shocker in the Champions League final, and then in 2011/2012 he was maybe our best player.

He even started the 2012/2013 season okay winning the penalty at Anfield and getting a couple of good assists at Stamford Bridge so I don't know what happened to cause him to end up like he is now. It feels daft to mention it after such a fantastic day yesterday but he really did stick out with how poor he is.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sadly, he's now become an embarrassment to himself. The quotation marks around 'performance' in the thread title could not have been more apt yesterday.