5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirScholes

Was our best attacker and I was surprised he was taken off. Would be a lot more dangerous if there was other players who would enhance the control element in possession. We have too many players who are too comfortable playing in transition.
Because he does nothing with the ball

he does a bit of dribbling and rolls his foot over the ball, then he cuts back and passes backwards, he never takes control of the situation unless he has a chance to try that curling shot

ti vu

Underwhelming but at least he's relevant when he's on the pitch. Sancho, Pellistri (bit harsh because he only had few minutes) mostly disappeared in contrast. Rashford is shite too. Choosing among the dross, Antony somehow came out on top.

Bizarre situation we're in right now. Trying to improve on Antony with sub actually worsen our performance.

Roux

Game was over the moment he came off - the only player who was a threat to Newcastle.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Because he does nothing with the ball

he does a bit of dribbling and rolls his foot over the ball, then he cuts back and passes backwards, he never takes control of the situation unless he has a chance to try that curling shot
He created a few opportunities via his ability to link play which put the likes of Sabitzer, Dalot and Weghorst into promising positions which we didn't take advantage of. And his defensive ability is also a big plus.

When your keeper doesn't have the ability to break a line/resist the press or your outfield players are unable to provide technical security in possession where some look for the killer ball at every opportunity, then your football won't develop to the requisite level unless those players who are weak on the ball either improve or are replaced by players who do provide a high level of technical security.

And having a collective unit with a high technical level who will pass vertically at every opportunity whilst maintaining a high pass completion rate will create the foundations for a proactive attacking team that will be able to play the game higher up the pitch and the pressing and counter pressing will be more effective.

We concede the first goal because the keeper can't resist pressure and the two centre backs are occupying the space either side of him which creates the error leading to the first goal. And the outfield players struggle because they aren't technically good enough to impose their game on the opposition with the exception of Antony.

I've been saying the following for a long time. That the best teams are those teams who are best equipped at progressing play from the goalkeeper, CBs, deeper mids and fullbacks. And if the above isn't good enough to do that then you will struggle to compete with the best teams.

RedDevilQuebecois

Honestly, he needs to be straightened up anyhow because we cannot afford him to go needlessly for something overcomplicated when his job should far simpler.

What Brian Clough did to a young Roy Keane, that is what Antony needs to get his mind back in proper order.

RedDevilQuebecois

Was lively for some parts of the game but needs to stop shooting every opportunity he gets.
That attempted volley when there was just no one near him drove me nuts. Footballers who want to do something to figure on TikTok need to sit back for a few games.

SirScholes

He created a few opportunities via his ability to link play which put the likes of Sabitzer, Dalot and Weghorst into promising positions which we didn't take advantage of. And his defensive ability is also a big plus.

When your keeper doesn't have the ability to break a line/resist the press or your outfield players are unable to provide technical security in possession where some look for the killer ball at every opportunity, then your football won't develop to the requisite level unless those players who are weak on the ball either improve or are replaced by players who do provide a high level of technical security.

And having a collective unit with a high technical level who will pass vertically at every opportunity whilst maintaining a high pass completion rate will create the foundations for a proactive attacking team that will be able to play the game higher up the pitch and the pressing and counter pressing will be more effective.

We concede the first goal because the keeper can't resist pressure and the two centre backs are occupying the space either side of him which creates the error leading to the first goal. And the outfield players struggle because they aren't technically good enough to impose their game on the opposition with the exception of Antony.

I've been saying the following for a long time. That the best teams are those teams who are best equipped at progressing play from the goalkeeper, CBs, deeper mids and fullbacks. And if the above isn't good enough to do that then you will struggle to compete with the best teams.
non of what you said had anything to do with Antony getting a shit ton of the ball and failing to do anything of note with it
He got the ball in a number of good opportunities to do something
If you’re a starting player for Man Utd and you’re playing out wide, you make shit happen as your number 1 job and he fails to do that

ScholesyTheWise

He'll score a worldie every once in a while,
but crediting him with that will be like crediting Rooney for his halfway-line goal.
All of those 80946340709 wasted attempts before the successful one seemingly forgotten. like magic.

He's as underwhelming as a signing can get.
He's lucky that we have other attackers (and center mids) who're doing much worse than him [shouldn't be fecking possible].

I'd be over the moon if we got a Nani or a Valencia-like career from him.
that is, if he was very very good at his best, and quite bad at his worst.

Can't see him being consistently very good for weeks on the bounce.
Such a terribly limited player.

Valencia was as predictable as they come but defenders couldn't stop him from crossing, and crossing well, when he was on song.
What can you not stop about Antony's game when he's at his best?

His attempt at a 25 yards shot for the top corner? That's a statistically low-success-rate shot as is.
Won't really mind as a defender if that was his biggest threat.

Last edited:

IFC 1905

I think he did well today. Specifically during first half. I thought it was the best he’s offered in terms of performances.
Don’t think he deserved to come off.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
non of what you said had anything to do with Antony getting a shit ton of the ball and failing to do anything of note with it
He got the ball in a number of good opportunities to do something
If you’re a starting player for Man Utd and you’re playing out wide, you make shit happen as your number 1 job and he fails to do that
If you're a starting player for a coach that places emphasis on vertical positional play, then Antony was very good.

And it's important to understand what the method in question entails and who and where the problems lay with when it comes to implementing the play style in question. It doesn't matter if the RW, RB or RCM is stretching the play out wide as long as the spaces are occupied and the overload potential is there with players who provide a high level of technical security.

SirScholes

If you're a starting player for a coach that places emphasis on vertical positional play, then Antony was very good.

And it's important to understand what the method in question entails and who and where the problems lay with when it comes to implementing the play style in question. It doesn't matter if the RW, RB or RCM is stretching the play out wide as long as the spaces are occupied and the overload potential is there with players who provide a high level of technical security.
it matters that he had Dan burn in multiple 1 on 1s with players in the box and he did nothing with it

Adnan

Talent Spotter
it matters that he had Dan burn in multiple 1 on 1s with players in the box and he did nothing with it
He beat Dan Burn several times in a dribble and one in particular was a lovely nutmeg.

But from reading your posts, it seems like you have a pre conceived notion about how a player in Antony's position should operate. But the reality is that the Antony we bought, was a player utilised in a team that could build play to a high level and also play the game in the opponent's half. And when you can play the game in the opponent's half it allows the likes of Antony to interchange with the fullback and the midfielder occupying the inside right space. And we can't do that currently due to the limitations of some of our players who hinder the playstyle from the back.

Antony is a potential solution towards creating a dominant playstyle imo. You have to ask yourself who is hindering us from exerting, zonal and positional control due to their limitations on the ball?

I would start with the keeper, RB and CM as positions to upgrade which will potentially aid us in playing the game higher up the pitch and making better use of Antony's ability to retain possession and link/combine play at a good level which isn't as pronounced right now due to the issues already outlined.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He beat Dan Burn several times in a dribble and one in particular was a lovely nutmeg.

But from reading your posts, it seems like you have a pre-determined notion in your mind about how a player in Antony's position should operate. But the reality is that the Antony we bought, was a player utilised in a team that could build play to a high level and also play the game in the opponent's half. And when you can play the game in the opponent's half it allows the likes of Antony to interchange with the fullback and the midfielder occupying the inside right space. And we can't do that currently due to the limitations of some of our players who hinder the playstyle from the back.

Antony is a potential solution towards creating a dominant playstyle imo. You have to ask yourself who is hindering us from exerting, zonal and positional control due to their limitations on the ball?

I would start with the keeper, RB and CM as positions to upgrade which will potentially aid us in playing the game higher up the pitch and making better use of Antony's ability to retain possession and link/combine play at a good level which isn't as pronounced right now due to the issues already outlined.
Enough of that rational level-headed logic on here after a defeat. Can't you see we're baying for blood and the guy who cost 80m hasn't scored or assisted recently!

VivaRonaldo85

I’d describe him as a luxury player. The sort you’d love to have if you were a PSG type team, dominating the league every season and you buy him to win it by 20 points rather than 10. To me he’s not the right United fit for the current circumstances as he’s very individual and lightweight and isn’t going to roll his sleeves up. But he’s here now so we have to find a way to get the best out of him next season Particularly at the ridiculous price tag.

croadyman

I’d describe him as a luxury player. The sort you’d love to have if you were a PSG type team, dominating the league every season and you buy him to win it by 20 points rather than 10. To me he’s not the right United fit for the current circumstances as he’s very individual and lightweight and isn’t going to roll his sleeves up. But he’s here now so we have to find a way to get the best out of him next season Particularly at the ridiculous price tag.
Yeah I don't get the impression Erik is being hard enough on him to improve his right foot and beating a player either

El Jefe

His last action on the pitch was ruining a 3v3 break.
We just don't understand Antony's role, he was doing exactly what ETH wanted and kept possession of the ball. We need to blame the CMs for that attack going to waste or something.

Oranges038

That wasn't true earlier in the season.

He needs a fullback that will stretch the opposition down the outside gives him more room to operate on the inside, Dalot does not do this. AWB for all his flaws is better at it and it suits Antony more.

I think both Dalot and AWB need to go, I'll hold on to Antony until he's actually playing down that side with a half decent full back.

Galactico

Clearly he’s not the finished article. But at least I have some sort of expectation when he gets the ball. And he tracks back and helps out defensively too. I would rather Antony on the pitch than Sancho. Sancho < Antony < Garnacho

NoPace

Horribly frustrating in 1 on 1s when he has space to attack the penalty area. Tactically our 3rd best player outside of Lisandro and Varane (and sure behind Casemiro when he plays, Fred good too in that regard).

I really do think he's the player most hurt by the lack of movement from Weghorst.

SirScholes

But from reading your posts, it seems like you have a pre conceived notion about how a player in Antony's position should operate. But the reality is that the Antony we bought, was a player utilised in a team that could build play to a high level and also play the game in the opponent's half. And when you can play the game in the opponent's half it allows the likes of Antony to interchange with the fullback and the midfielder occupying the inside right space. And we can't do that currently due to the limitations of some of our players who hinder the playstyle from the back.

If only nutmegs won games

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Didn't think he was our worst player today at all
In saying that....will we get a single PL assist from him before the end of the season?

He's a £30-40m player in reality and that signing alone is the reason we have Weghorst and not a competent Ronaldo replacement. Absolutely shocking business yet again from us.

croadyman

He needs a fullback that will stretch the opposition down the outside gives him more room to operate on the inside, Dalot does not do this. AWB for all his flaws is better at it and it suits Antony more.

I think both Dalot and AWB need to go, I'll hold on to Antony until he's actually playing down that side with a half decent full back.
Agree but doubt we sell both

Status
Not open for further replies.