Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
But he isnt proiritising short term success. Look at the age of players bought last year (Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Rojo) and this year (Memphis and Darmian). How is that short term exactly?

As for formation. LVG doesnt see ADM as a midfielder and I hope he'll prove to be good as a winger, him on one Memphis on other side.
4-2-3-1 is easily transformed to 4-3-3 and vice versa.
All of those players are ones who were expected to go straight into the first team and perform. Whilst you argue that its not like we have only been signing 30 year olds, I will similarly argue that we havent been signing teenagers.
Ultimately time will be the best judge, I am happy to give LVG the benefit of the doubt because he has a good track record for developing young players, but situations like Welbeck, Januzaj and Rafael do concern me.

I agree with di Maria, but I think most level headed fans were cautious over the signing of Falcao. Lots of 'I'm glad it's just on loan' comments.
There were definitely some concerns with Falcao - I was one of the critics of that deal as well - but the overall feeling on here was one of "Its Radamel fecking Falcao!!!!!11" in my opinion. Still, what is the caf without its muppetry eh? ;)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Stop posting Bible-length posts, you incredible twits: I have the attention span of a daddy long-legs...and also the legs.

diarm

The picture of him putting an arm around Giggs at half time is also great. He also went at half time or after the game in the United vs Bayern legend game to grab Scholes' shirt..
I was thinking of this last night. It's going to be really strange for me to see him and Giggs at the same club. To me he is completely synonymous with Bayern in a way very few players are. Maybe Giggs for us and Totti for Roma but I don't even get that feeling watching Xavi or Iniesta, or Raul after he left Madrid. It will be very surreal.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
So the fact he's missed 50 games through injury in the last 2 seasons, is 31, and is coming to a new, more physical league should just be ignored?

He may turn out to be a fabulous signing, who plays lots and helps us win trophies. I hope he does, and I wouldn't be surprised.

But there is that element of doubt for some people, and rightfully so.

In fact, I think the blind optimism - 'He's Bastian Schweinsteiger, how dare you voice doubts!?' - is more perplexing than the doubts themselves.
You could say this about every player in the world. You take risks to gain big rewards. It's a bold move from us and I, amongst many others, love it.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
People complaining would be the same people crying out for someone like him when we were struggling badly without a 33 year old Michael Carrick last season. Mental. It's players like this you don't pass up. He has played in the biggest stages of world football and only as recently as last year won the world cup, the apparent barometer of greatness for others (Whom shall not be named) yet, for some reason, since he is 30 coming on 31 he is past it. Our highest paid player is 30 later this year. Should we just release him then?

lalloyd

Big money and he's getting on but such a step up from.what we have. Proven quality.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If transfermarkt is a reliable place for stats, last season he had 4 goals and 5 assists in 20 league appearances. 4 assists in 6 CL appearances too. Not bad for a player who is apparently a holding midfielder. Watching his season highlights too, it seemed he should of had a lot more assists. Wasteful Bayern are up front.

LilRicky

This thread right now

:lol:

So true!

So the fact he's missed 50 games through injury in the last 2 seasons, is 31, and is coming to a new, more physical league should just be ignored?

He may turn out to be a fabulous signing, who plays lots and helps us win trophies. I hope he does, and I wouldn't be surprised.

In fact, I think the blind optimism - 'He's Bastian Schweinsteiger, how dare you voice doubts!?' - is more perplexing than the doubts themselves.
Completely agree.

He's a fantastic footballer, I am yet to see anyone here state otherwise.

A page or two back we got a great post from a person who watched him almost every week when he played and he did in fact highlight a number of concerns regarding fitness and his playing ability compared to previous seasons.

I really find it odd that people jump right to assuming he'll be nothing but brilliant for us. People need to be patient, let him settle and form opinions towards the end of the season.

As United supporters we all of course want him to be a huge success but its perfectly reasonably to have doubts about weather that in fact will happen.

NessunDorma

You could say this about every player in the world. You take risks to gain big rewards. It's a bold move from us and I, amongst many others, love it.
Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that signing any player is a risk (to an extent). But that risk is heightened, in my opinion, when the player is ageing and injury prone. And Schweinsteiger is both of those things.

I'm certainly not against signing the guy. Indeed, I think it's a good signing on balance, and could turn out to be a brilliant one.

But let's not pretend that any doubts people may have are somehow unreasonable or inexplicable.

Ryan7

Bayern's website says Schweinsteiger will be at the team presentation.

New signing Douglas Costa will make his first appearance in the famous red shirt at the Allianz Arena, as will youthful talent Joshua Kimmich. They will be joined by the club’s current full internationals who officially return from vacation this weekend: Bastian Schweinsteiger, Manuel Neuer, Mario Götze, Jérôme Boateng, Robert Lewandowski, Mehdi Benatia, Juan Bernat and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.
http://www.fcbayern.de/en/news/news/2015/allianz-team-presentation-preview-100715.php

Sereques

@Pogue Mahone gets it.

My main concern is that at best Schweinsteiger is a short term solution - he is 31 in August. Lets assume he gives us two or three fantastic years, then what? We are in the market again.
At worst we have another Falcao sitaution, and as a club we look rather silly to boot. The blind optimism in this thread just goes to show that some folk clearly didnt learn anything from last season, that signing big name galacticos is not a guarantee of success.

I would rather we go after a younger player who can compete with Carrick, and take over from him in a couple of years time. It is part of a bigger trend we are seeing in the post-Fergie Era and I dont like the short term attitude to transfers that LVG and Woody appear to be taking. In some instances, it reminds me of Mourinho at his previous clubs, buying up all the top talent, neglecting youth, winning some trophies but then leaving the team a bit fecked when he buggers off after a few yeras. I hope LVG isnt prioritising his short term success for the sake of his ego, rather than trying to build a team which will be able to compete for years to come.

That is just completely wrong, Blind, Rojo, Herrera, Shaw, Depay were signed with the future in mind. That is 5 players out of 7. Everything you wrote is complete fallacy.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We'll probably hear in two weeks time that there has been no contact since the initial bid that was rejected

LilRicky

No idea if this guy is trustworthy or not...but we shall soon find out! :)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not really, he is more expensive than Falcao.

Bastian will be collection €10m per season in wages and along with the fee (which is relatively low), all things considered he will set us back at least €35-40 approx.

Add in the recent injuries and his age I can understand why some are concerned.
Falcao cost £16m/season. Schweinsteiger will cost closer to £14m

WyoManU

Mixed feelings on this one. He is certainly a talent, but this is only a short term stop gap fix. I would be much happier if we also brought in Schneiderlin as a more long term perspective.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
There's more people complaining about the complainers than there are actual complainers ffs! So let me be the first to complain about the complainers complaining about all the complaining.

It's like bloody RAWK: nobody ever posts a criticism of the manager, yet every post decries the selfie-stick Sly Sports Judas Manc Junta for posting criticism of the manager.
This is my take on it as well - the caf was once an enlightened bastian (geddit?) of discussion. Nowadays it is getting harder and harder to actually have a minority opinion, much less expect any reasoned debate (Note to the people I have been conversing with/quoting that this not so much aimed at you but all the complainers about complainers, as Senor put it).

I had really hoped that one or two people would have at the very least learned their lessons from last summer, but the blind optimism is back in full swing. I am used to having an unpopular opinion fortunately, having spent much of last season defending Fellaini in that thread ;)

It's easy for you to say that those players weren't given a chance without any basis. Knowing nothing I'd rather trust Sir Alex Ferguson and what he saw in training over this one. If Fabio was indeed that good he would have gone and proven Sir Alex wrong like Pogba did. He didn't, and instead only confirmed what the club already knew themselves.

You can spin this anyway you want, players don't become great just by plying. If anything, Cleverley and Welbeck have proven you to be spectacularly wrong by their time at Villa and Arsenal. Interesting how you're ignoring the facts and what happened the last season. Fits the view I guess.

I agree that there are risks involved but the benefits far outweigh them. Especially when it's such a small fee. It's really not that important IMO. We'll probably sigh schneiderlin as well.
But realistically, we all know that SAF had a huge amount of loyalty to some of his older players. Evra is one such example, as he was frankly a liability at times in his final season(s) (much of this came after Fabio's spell at the club) - great going forward but no so much when it came to defending (this doesnt mean he wasnt a great player for us in his day). Evra always played when fit, there was no rotation - I think it is a fair assumption to say that SAF or no SAF, it would have been prudent to have rested Evra from time to time to try to develop the prospect that we probably bought with a view to taking over the LB position from Evra.

After all, if we didnt think Fabio had the potential to take over from Evra, why did we buy him?

My point has never been that "players become great just by playing" - it has been that there is a chicken-and-egg situation with regard to playing someone, and seeing if they are good enough. My view is that you have to play someone to see if they are good enough (assuming within reason, that they are not a clear cut case one way or another), and I have listed several examples of times recently that we have failed to do that. It is interesting that you list Welbeck as a spectacular failure when few could argue that he would have done a better job for us last season than RVP or Falcao, given the gametime they had. It was that preference to buy in and favour players in their peak (supposedly) over developing a younger player who had (and still has) a lot of potential that is symptomatic of the issues I am describing. Even if you dont rate Welbeck, he is good enough for a place in our squad and always has been.

Its odd that you also use Cleverley's time at Villa to support your argument when in fact he has been one of their best players. Does that mean that he was automatically good enough for United? Of course not, but similarly saying that 'his time at Villa has proven me wrong' is clearly ridiculous, since he did not actually do badly at Villa at all, and has now secured a move to Everton - again, this very much proves that he could have continued as a squad player for us if nothing else.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Do yiu
In about 90 minutes -
and it will be shown here:

But the press conference in half an hour with Rummenigge and Sammer will already tell us most.
So is there also a live stream for that press conference?

gormless

This thread:
Post 1: He's too old.
Post 2: No he's not.
Post 3: Plane tracker lolz
Post 4: Is he our first German player?
Post 5: No we had Zieler but he never played for the first team.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not really, he is more expensive than Falcao.

Bastian will be collection €10m per season in wages and along with the fee (which is relatively low), all things considered he will set us back at least €35-40 approx.

Add in the recent injuries and his age I can understand why some are concerned.
So he's getting paid a little more than Young and he's been signed for €10m. Getting paid less than Ballack was over half a decade ago. That's cheap in my book. Can't think why someone would want to paint that as expensive but hey-ho.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It seems some posters are not excited due to having their heart set on Schneiderlin.

We're in for one of the most decorated players of his generation who'll bring a wealth of experience, and class to the team and club. Just by being here he'll help youngsters develop.

PS:Three years is no short term these days in football.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Mixed feelings on this one. He is certainly a talent, but this is only a short term stop gap fix. I would be much happier if we also brought in Schneiderlin as a more long term perspective.
We better be bringing in Schneirderlin too. If not - LVG has lost the f*ckin plot & is not lookin at United's long-term future.

Signing Schneirderlin is a no-brainer & that deal needs to be sorted pronto, before someone else comes in for him..

MDFC Manager

It seems some posters are not excited due to having their heart set on Schneiderlin.

We're in for one of the most decorated players of his generation who'll bring a wealth of experience, and class to the team and club. Just by being here he'll help youngsters develop.

PS:Three years is no short term these days in football.
Glad to have you onboard the Schweiny train :)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

People are assuming that he's our only midfield signing. Sure, I can't say he definitely won't be but people are crying because they feel we won't sign Schneiderlin too. I'll happily admit that I voted to wanting Schneiderlin more than Schweinsteiger, mainly because I really doubted the latter joining us. But Schneiderlin wasn't going to offer us experience in the CL or bringing the factor of a proven-winner. An attribute our midfield is massively lacking after losing so many experienced heads over the past few years. We have an aging Carrick who ain't no spring chicken himself. If we lose him to injury, our potential midfield of Schneiderlin-Herrera-Fellaini consists of quality that lacks proven winners. How good is it having the option to bringing Schweinsteiger on from the bench when the going gets tough?

All I'm saying is people are being super pessimistic for no good reason. There is nothing to suggest he will be our only midfield signing, I'm certain we'll be signing Schneiderlin too. But Schweinsteiger brings aspects to our team that Schneiderlin couldn't offer us. When we look to add experience/proven-winners as well as quality at the same time - there aren't better available than Schweinsteiger. Hence the justified excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.