BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

I have never despised him or disliked him and always wanted him as a manager if SAF ever left. Yes he's a controversial clown at times but I just want the best at this club, always will so that's Pep or Jose and only one is available and would love to manage us. As for other fans, cant comment.
You never disliked him at any stage. Even when he was being a smug, cheating, c**t at one of our biggest rivals and buying titles with Abramovich's money. I find that strange.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So it seems the vast majority of people here desperately want Mourinho.

Is there anyone who finds this a bit odd though? A year or two ago most United fans despised this smug c**t. How can we suddenly love him so much?

I get that the club are in a bad place and need a good manager but Mourinho to me just doesn't feel right for this club. Even if we start winning it will feel a little bit tainted and wrong imo.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/your-preference-for-the-next-manager.370323/

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Right just read hte article:

• Phone calls have been made to Mourinho by Everton
  • According to Mourinho's close friends, it's highly unlikely that Mourinho will take the job
  • Woodward has told Mourinho to wait until end of season for formal talks to begin to succeed LvG
  • Mourinho himself is confident of getting the United job
So basically nothing have changed except for the fact that Everton has approached him with the offer.

Ixion

Is there anyone who finds this a bit odd though? A year or two ago most United fans despised this smug c**t. How can we suddenly love him so much?I think

I get that the club are in a bad place and need a good manager but Mourinho to me just doesn't feel right for this club. Even if we start winning it will feel a little bit tainted and wrong imo.
I think he was one of the most popular choices to replace Sir Alex. I'm sure there was a poll on here at the time and he got plenty of votes.

At the time after Sir Alex retired there was this idea we were special and operated differently to other clubs but in fact we were just out of date and had been left behind by the other big clubs. Sticking to some old romanticised philosophy has seen us finish 7th, 4th and now 5th with some of the most boring football seen here in 40 years. The club needs to change and while Mourinho may have at one point not been the right guy for us we need to wake up and realise he is the sort of manager we need now.

SteveW

Most fans don't know what they want, at the moment (probably myself included).

Many of the same people who'll claim they support United for every reason other than 'winning' are the same ones who are suddenly desperate for Mourinho because, despite his flaws/drawbacks, he usually wins at all costs.
I'm finding it confusing. I typed Mourinho into google images a second ago. The mere sight of his smug face immediately irritated me as always. It sickens me that we are at a stage where this guy is the answer to our problems.

NJM78

You never disliked him at any stage. Even when he was being a smug, cheating, c**t at one of our biggest rivals and buying titles with Abramovich's money. I find that strange.
It's not his fault he was given ridiculous amounts of money by dodgy owner. I hate Chelsea with a passion mind the same as I hate Real Madrid, both shifty clubs run by shady people and dubious finances. The only time I was pissed off with him was in 2004 at OT when he ran down the touch line when Porto knocked us out of Europe, but I was even more vexed with the referee that day. Strange it may be but he is a great manager with a great record. Most opposing fans hated Sir Alex, claimed all kinds of shit against him like being smug, getting favorable fixtures, Fergie time and also being able to buy the title.

These same people would have loved to have him manage their clubs.

SteveW

I think he was one of the most popular choices to replace Sir Alex. I'm sure there was a poll on here at the time and he got plenty of votes.

At the time after Sir Alex retired there was this idea we were special and operated differently to other clubs but in fact we were just out of date and had been left behind by the other big clubs. Sticking to some old romanticised philosophy has seen us finish 7th, 4th and now 5th with some of the most boring football seen here in 40 years. The club needs to change and while Mourinho may have at one point not been the right guy for us we need to wake up and realise he is the sort of manager we need now.
Mourinho is not the right manager. Long term, he's a poor fit. We needed someone like Klopp or Pochetino that would nuture the young players coming through and build the club back up properly.

itso 7

Most fans don't know what they want, at the moment (probably myself included).

Many of the same people who'll claim they support United for every reason other than 'winning' are the same ones who are suddenly desperate for Mourinho because, despite his flaws/drawbacks, he usually wins at all costs.
The way I see it is that if Mourinho comes he should be able to make us competitive which, imo, buys us time until the picture is clearer with most of the young managers impressing right now or a desirable candidate like Ancelotti becomes available. What is clear right now is that we can not afford another misstep and most would agree that Jose is as good a guarantee as we are going to get in the current market.

Kostur

海尔的老板
great. you are here. The Gospel According to Acquire Me. here to tell us to have 'faith' and that the Messiah is coming.
Yea because your 'he doesn't want to come here by all accounts' taken out of fecking nowhere is worth anything more than AM's 'gospel'. Get off your high horse.

Why are some people so desperate in their claims that 'HE'S NOT COMING HERE HE'S NOT COMING BLABLABLA' shit? I mean, I do understand the opposite fraction, one that wants to get rid of LVG but the other side looks just silly.

Rednotdead

Is there anyone who finds this a bit odd though? A year or two ago most United fans despised this smug c**t. How can we suddenly love him so much?

Speaking personally, it's not about wanting Mourinho. It's about wanting rid of Van Gaal and finding a replacement who is big enough to handle the job. The only available person is Mourinho so that's it.

Ixion

Mourinho is not the right manager. Long term, he's a poor fit. We needed someone like Klopp or Pochetino that would nuture the young players coming through and build the club back up properly.
I would have loved either of those two as our manager but we are run by a board either too cheap to fire a manager before some clause in his contract kicks in or too dumb to see the writing on the wall. We missed the window each time a suitable candidate has come along because our board is inept. Mourinho's CV is second to none of those available, it would be stupid to pass him up even as a short tem solution to stick with Van Gaal or Giggs.

waza7111

itso 7

In the short to medium term we are facing a sustained decline and most clubs don't do long term with coaches either. We need someone that can get the club back on an upward trajectory in the shortest of periods whilst we scout for a 'better fit' and his history suggests that he can't stay longer than three year so thats enough time to scout and poach a manager.

SteveW

Speaking personally, it's not about wanting Mourinho. It's about wanting rid of Van Gaal and finding a replacement who is big enough to handle the job.
That's how I see it. Mourinho's recent record of destroying teams within three seasons should be enough to make us steer clear but desperation has set in. He's a risky appointment who could do a lot of long term damage. I have no doubt half the people on here championing him were slating him a few months ago when he was making a mess of things at Chelsea. However now that he may be coming here he's suddenly the special one again. I'm finding this a bit difficult to reconcile.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Here's a poll from November last year with most people voting aganst Mourinho-

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-manager-ever.411422/

and another one from December 2015 where 58% voted in favour of Mourinho-

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pol...as-the-next-manchester-united-manager.412540/

The poll at the top of this thread gives Mourinho 80% of the vote. It shows how bad we have become under van Gaal.
Mourinho was sacked and suddenly loads of people wanted him.
People vote based on whether they think it can happen or not.

That's really all it comes down to.

SteveW

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-manager-ever.411422/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pol...as-the-next-manchester-united-manager.412540/

The poll at the top of this thread gives Mourinho 80% of the vote. It shows how bad we have become under van Gaal.
This is exactly what I've been getting at. Cheers

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very hard to disagree with that, all things considered. Maybe Mourinho will prove to stay longer than 3 years or so this time, maybe not. History shows he probably won't.

But say Klopp/Poch is not available (which they aren't), then the question becomes "who next"? So there are some, myself included, who'd vote yes to mourinho, not because he'd be my first choice, but because he's by far the best candidate from the small pool of available candidates.

We've tried the whole "longevity", "youth" appointments since SAF retirement and to be honest, it's taken us further away from our rivals and we can't afford to lose more and more ground. So IMO - mourinho, even if short term, is a good fit for what we need.

Hopefully he'll prove us wrong and build something (he's always alluded to wanting to find a "home" for a bit and stay longer) but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Bojan11

That's how I see it. Mourinho's recent record of destroying teams within three seasons should be enough to make us steer clear but desperation has set in. He's a risky appointment who could do a lot of long term damage. I have no doubt half the people on here championing him were slating him a few months ago when he was making a mess of things at Chelsea. However now that he may be coming here he's suddenly the special one again. I'm finding this a bit difficult to reconcile.
Destroying teams?

What are you going on about? His Madrid team was so destroyed they won the champions league. Before he came along they couldn't even get past the last 16. Did pep destroy Bayern?

His first spell at Chelsea they were destroyed weren't they. Are people still spouting these ridiculous facts about Mourinho. Funny how they always forget his last years at Inter or Porto

Managers rarely leave on their own terms at Madrid or Chelsea. They get sacked. Mourinho was the second longest Madrid manager in the last 30 years. But don't let facts get in the way of your bullshit. His first spell at Chelsea was the longest reign any manager has had under Roman.

Mourinho easily could have stayed 10 years at Inter. But then you would moan he can only do it in Italy.

Bojan11

name a manager that stays beyond 4 season at a club
Name a Chelsea or Madrid manager who has lasted three years? Jose is the only one in recent times.

I'm sure he would have liked to stay longer. But it's not possible with these clubs.

rotherham_red

If the board had any sense they'd get Jose in for three years and then get Tuchel afterwards... But that's just it, I'm not sure they have any.

For a £1billion+ corporate entity, we have some of the most cowardly inept and negligent people running us.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
This is exactly what I've been getting at. Cheers
It's about perception of the moment as well, if you look at the time stamps, he was right in the middle of his Chelsea meltdown, his stock was at an all time low.
I mean for an example, on redissue in 2003-2006 when were playing some terrible football, selling Becks and finishing 3rd under Sir Alex, there were posters there calling him a senile c*nt, saying he's lost it and honestly were having discussions on the idea of sacking him. Would those same posters have a differing view later? of course.

Anyway, the fact is a lot of people here would prefer a manager as the two you mentioned, like Poch or Klopp, who'd build but those two aren't available, sadly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

At the time of the poll Ancelotti isn't Bayern's future manager yet, so Mourinho is an obvious "no" while Ancelotti is a big "yes".

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman

Nah. Posters already wanted him gone, it's just that many of us were hoping for Pep, Poch or Simeone. We've run out of options and shouldn't take punts at this point. Mourinho makes too much sense. Ancelotti as well, just saw jpr's post.

SteveW

Destroying teams?

What are you going on about? His Madrid team was so destroyed they won the champions league. Before he came along they couldn't even get past the last 16. Did pep destroy Bayern?

His first spell at Chelsea they were destroyed weren't they. Are people still spouting these ridiculous facts about Mourinho. Funny how they always forget his last years at Inter or Porto

Managers rarely leave on their own terms at Madrid or Chelsea. They get sacked. Mourinho was the second longest Madrid manager in the last 30 years. But don't let facts get in the way of your bullshit. His first spell at Chelsea was the longest reign any manager has had under Roman.

Mourinho easily could have stayed 10 years at Inter. But then you would moan he can only do it in Italy.
Haha calm down. There's a definite pattern of him leaving clubs in disarray after 3 seasons. It's not bullshit as you call it. Most of his jobs have ended this way.

Ixion

Haha calm down. There's a definite pattern of him leaving clubs in disarray after 3 seasons. It's not bullshit as you call it. Most of his jobs have ended this way.
Not many mangers leave their jobs in good circumstance. The average manager lasts a couple of seasons and gets fired.

Kag

Really? He was the clear favourite to replace Ferguson amongst the support.

If we appoint him this summer then we're only doing what we should have done three years ago.

SteveW

Speaking about destroying clubs what is Van Gaal doing to us at the moment.
Word's cant describe how bad LVG has been. The argument for me isn't LVG v Mourinho. It's about whether Mourinho is really as perfect a candiate as some people are saying

SteveW

Really? He was the clear favourite to replace Ferguson amongst the support.

If we appoint him this summer then we're only doing what we should have done three years ago.
Was he?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Word's cant describe how bad LVG has been. The argument for me isn't LVG v Mourinho. It's about whether Mourinho is really as perfect a candiate as some people are saying
He isnt but we don't really have a choice now. LVG has to go and Pep Poch and Ancellotti are unavailable

Mou is still a very good manager ifnot exactly ideal/perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.