Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Pepe is indeed the superior defender (one of the best I've seen personally) and Real do concede a fair few, but I think Ramos' defending is a bit underrated these days. Often they're playing very attacking and Ramos is sat on the half way line, so he has to defend from there and I feel he does it very well. When they're camped inside their own half like they were when they played the Barcelona of a couple years back, he's not Vidic or Pepe level but he's still pretty good. What you get with him though is though when you're trying to break down teams he can effectively become an extra midfielder as he's got very good technical ball ability and can pass well. And then obviously his reputation for last minute headers from corners.

Would loved to have had him in our team personally. I always remember that game against Barca where they lost 5-0 and he got sent off for a tackle against Messi, and then fought with Pique, Puyol and Xavi. A lot of people though he was crazy, but I thought it showed he gave a shit and wasn't willing to take a drubbing meekly. Those sort of passionate players elevate teams.
That's true, that passion and character he has has been great for Real. But maybe even someone like Nacho is better pure defensively,underrated player that.

ash_86

He was very poor today, strolling around carelessly. He needs to up his concentration levels

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Jesus Christ lads, players make mistakes. Ok he played the man onside, but get behind him. He didnt have as bad a game as ye are making out.

arthurka

Jones was worse... thought he did ok-ish apart from the goal he gave them..

Devil may care

He was in full on mad man mode at times today, games like this we miss a CB leader to just rein him in.

ti vu

Seems like he comes back from his international duty different player, and this is the second time.

AshRK

What was Jones thinking there. Did he thought to fly and intercept the pass. Baily was poor here but Jones should read the game better. He has his moments both good and bad but when it is bad he (Jones)looks pretty idiotic.

el3mel

What was Jones thinking there. Did he thought to fly and intercept the pass. Baily was poor here but Jones should read the game better. He has his moments both good and bad but when it is bad he (Jones)looks pretty idiotic.
Jones was terrible overall but what is him related to this goal ? It's obviously Darmian and Bailly fault, Darmian for not covering his side and Bailly for fecking up the offside trap. Jones isn't supposed to do anything here. He can be blamed for the second goal but not this.

Red_toad

Poor for that goal and not a great game overal. Will do better in the next game I've no doubt, he's not the finished article yet and is prone to the odd lax game here and there. Damien was the big issue for the rest of our defenders, not sure how it's gone unnoticed.

WhoDaGOAT

Jones was terrible overall but what is him related to this goal ? It's obviously Darmian and Bailly fault, Darmian for not covering his side and Bailly for fecking up the offside trap. Jones isn't supposed to do anything here. He can be blamed for the second goal but not this.
I place zero blame on Darmian. He's stepping up like he should do. Jones steps into Matić's territory with zero threats in sight. Bailly lazily strolls, if even.

Bailly and Jones should be closer together and in line with Valencia. Comedy stuff.

el3mel

I place zero blame on Darmian. He's stepping up like she should do. Jones steps into Matić's territory with zero threats in sight. Bailly lazily strolls, if even.

Bailly and Jones should be closer together and in line with Valencia. Comedy stuff.
Even if Jones stayed back he wouldn't have been related to the ball at all. Bailly fecked up the offside trap then failed to mark his man well. I don't know what Jones would have done here to prevent this goal from entering. If you want to blame one of the two then it's definitely Bailly.

WhoDaGOAT

Even if Jones stayed back he wouldn't have been related to the ball at all. Bailly fecked up the offside trap then failed to mark his man well. I don't know what Jones would have done here to prevent this goal from entering. If you want to blame one of the two then it's definitely Bailly.
It's not a matter of blaming Jones, it's a question of wtf he was hoping to achieve by evacuating his position to press a shadow.

Bailly is clearly at fault, but Jones might have been able to cover for Darmian or blocked the cross had he stayed in his position. A better chance at least.

Really poor between the two of them. Zero communication.

AP88

Supports
Man City
That's true, that passion and character he has has been great for Real. But maybe even someone like Nacho is better pure defensively,underrated player that.
I agree mate, Nacho is a brilliant defender and probably should play ahead of Ramos, but it's Sergio's personality, reputation and impact in the opposition box that sees him start.

Jesus Vallejo is another defensive diamond at Real, only a baby but reads the game incredibly and will be a future captain IMO. They've been very good at absorbing the best young Spanish talent recently, showcased in Asensio and Isco's respective impacts last season. Barca take note: rather than pursuing expensive Brazilian bums like Paulinho, especially as the afrentioned two are/were Barca fans who would likely have opted for the Camp Nou if given the chance.

Back to Bailly, for me he is currently a liability; he's literally Kolo Toure reincarnated. Pure chaos. Not saying he can never become more refined, but for now I'd make him mature in a more peripheral role.

Given the leftback issue, I'd stick him out there for a while; Gallas played there for Mourinho in his first spell at Chelsea, and he possesses similar attributes. His amusing three-tackle cameo earlier today in the wide left position showed he's capable out there, and the introduction of Smalling will add a no-nonsense, destructive element to the defense that was sorely lacking today; for me, he deals with the Cameroonian dude fairly easily.

el3mel

It's not a matter of blaming Jones, it's a question of wtf he was hoping to achieve by evacuating his position to press a shadow.

Bailly is clearly at fault, but Jones might have been able to cover for Darmian or blocked the cross had he stayed in his position. A better chance at least.

Really poor between the two of them. Zero communication.
Darmian should have first covered his man on the flank before we can ask Jones to cover for Darmian himself.

I agree his positioning overall was poor but he wouldn't have done much to prevent this goal anyway.

WhoDaGOAT

Darmian should have first covered his man on the flank before we can ask Jones to cover for Darmian himself.

I agree his positioning overall was poor but he wouldn't have done much to prevent this goal anyway.
That all depends on whether Mourinho wanted the full-backs to man mark or not. They took inside, so it would seem like he doesn't.

If you watch the goal again, Jones does get back into a defensive position, but he doesn't attempt to cut off the near post. That is where he might have been able to cut out the cross before it reached the goalscorer.

Valencia isn't man marking either, so that points to a compact back four tactic. I blame Bailly and then Jones. You could say that Darmian might have blocked the cross better, but Fletcher's ball takes him out of the game initially. All made possible by Bailly.

el3mel

That all depends on whether Mourinho wanted the full-backs to man mark or not. They took inside, so it would seem like he doesn't.

If you watch the goal again, Jones does get back into a defensive position, but he doesn't attempt to cut off the near post. That is where he might have been able to cut out the cross before it reached the goalscorer.

Valencia isn't man marking either, so that points to a compact back four tactic. I blame Bailly and then Jones. You could say that Darmian might have blocked the cross better, but Fletcher's ball takes him out of the game initially. All made possible by Bailly.
We can look at this goal from 2 perspective, the first one is the defense was crap and Stoke surprised them, thus Darmian and Bailly will be at the major fault here, Darmian didn't cover his man on the flank and Bailly didn't cover his main in the box. Jones could have provided more cover or got the cross out but he's not the major problem. It was Darmian and Bailly who lost their men completely. Jones will be blamed for the poor positioning out of the box but not the one directly causing this goal to happen.

The second prospective that it seems from the photo that all defense bar Bailly set up for the offside trap, even when the ball reached their wide player Darmian called immediately for it to be called offside and was surprised it wasn't. That caught the rest of defense by surprise and that's because Bailly was too lazy to run forward and get their player offside, this making Bailly the only one at fault at this goal.

In either scenario, you can fault Jones for poor positioning, I agree, but he wasn't the major problem. Bailly was the most one at fault in this goal, and if we didn't count the offside trap then Darmian second after him. You can put Jones third in order but his role would have been more supportive. He didn't lose his man nor did he feck up the offside trap as the others did.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He was sleeping for the goal but it didn't help Darmian putting 0 effort into stopping the cross.

Ashley R1+O

Felt like he was very lagged today, as though international duty caught up with him slightly. I'd have been happy to see a little rotation in this game, but one blip doesn't change his solid performances for us in my view.

Zoo

Probably his worst ever game for us. Okay the international fixtures had an effect but this can't happen again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is still relatively young, certainly for a centre back playing for an elite club, so will make a few of these mistakes a season. Thats the price you pay for developing young players.

But I'm confident he'll learn from it and not keep making the same mistakes and mature quickly into consistency.

prtk0811

Was culpable for the first goal directly , but what goes on before that has also to be analyzed.

The defensive mistakes start with pogba's failure to effectively press fletcher due to his positional weakness, than darmian's inability to stop the cross, then bailly makes two mistakes of playing him onside and letting attacker go past.

prtk0811

Ok jones was not perfectly positioned but it was not his fault fo the goal there was little he could do. The idiot No 3 Is Pogba here who was so deep and failed to press effectively to deny fletcher time and space to make that pass in the first place. he is the second line of defense here.

WhoDaGOAT

Ok jones was not perfectly positioned but it was not his fault fo the goal there was little he could do. The idiot No 3 Is Pogba here who was so deep and failed to press effectively to deny fletcher time and space to make that pass in the first place. he is the second line of defense here.
Pogba could maybe have gotten to him a little quicker, but his positioning is basically cutting off the pass to the player closest to Rashford.

There were two passes on. The easy pass out to Zouma (top right), and the long diagonal out to Diouf. This wouldn't have been possible had Bailly stepped up.

It was a great pass by Fletcher. But could have been avoided.

prtk0811

Pogba could maybe have gotten to him a little quicker, but his positioning is basically cutting off the pass to the player closest to Rashford.

There were two passes on. The easy pass out to Zouma (top right), and the long diagonal out to Diouf. This wouldn't have been possible had Bailly stepped up.

It was a great pass by Fletcher. But could have been avoided.
But He was in no position to intercept both the the passes, i have seen the video, the most effective way was to stay closer to fletcher in the first place and press effectively so that he is forced to pass it backwards or sideways or loose the posession.

ti vu

But He was in no position to intercept both the the passes, i have seen the video, the most effective way was to stay closer to fletcher in the first place and press effectively so that he is forced to pass it backwards or sideways or loose the posession.
Are you sure you understood the situation? Matic stayed with defender. Herrera was pressing. Pogba was there holding the midfield with Shaqiri initial free until Rashford got back and Pogba went pressing Fletch. If Pogba was stay close to Fletch in the first place, then Shaqiri would be free in the central for a easy pass from Allen, let alone Fletch.

Pogba may not be able to intercept the pass but he's there to make sure there would be pressure so that Shaquiri didn't just have a free go at our defense. Jones tried to take over picking up Shaqiri when Pogba went to press Fletch.

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Probably the reason we didn't win - along with Jones. Really poor performance from both. If Smalling plays well in midweek I'd expect him to displace one of them.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Probably the reason we didn't win - along with Jones. Really poor performance from both. If Smalling plays well in midweek I'd expect him to displace one of them.
Smalling's definitely got an opportunity to displace Bailly now.

Mourinho said he got back to the squad the day before the game, so I think he understands why he wasn't switched on. Jones has no such excuse.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wow the reaction to one bad performance is strong here. Should we release him from his contract already along with Lindelöf?

CM

Mourinho said he got back to the squad the day before the game, so I think he understands why he wasn't switched on. Jones has no such excuse.
Bailly obviously had to travel longer distances in the international break but both played two full games in that time too. From what Mourinho was saying Jones probably isn't in peak fitness either so you have to afford them the same leeway.

Treble

Wow the reaction to one bad performance is strong here. Should we release him from his contract already along with Lindelöf?
Same with the reaction to his good games. Going OTT in both directions is the norm on any football forum.

rooney2009

I think we missed Daley Blind,He is the only one with the football Brains in that defence,Darmien looked very rusty,Jones looked Tired and Bailly had a very poor result and game with Cameroon last Monday and looked lazy and fatigued

kps88

He mentioned them both. Baily arrived late and Jones played two full games despite not being 100%. In hindsight, Smalling should have come in for one of them.

Sigma

Probably his worst ever game for us. Okay the international fixtures had an effect but this can't happen again.
Well I'm sorry to tell you, that its going to happen again. Players make mistakes because they are human. Better players make less mistakes than worse players, but they all make mistakes. Bailly will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.