F1 2020 Season

NM

This season is reminding me of Schumacher vs the Williams and the Mclaren in 97 and 98. Max is playing that role where he will get wins in a clearly inferior car, and be there / thereabouts because of how good of a driver he is, but Hamilton is just too good to be beaten by anybody with inferior equipment. Switch Bottas with Max and nobody would be comlaining about this season..
Also Ferrari :lol:, I'm a fan but this is ridiculous!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Another immaculate drive from Hamilton. He’s just phenomenal. So many whiners in this thread about his dominance, but the guy just doesn’t make mistakes. He was flawless today, as he so often is. He gets so much disrespect from people saying it’s just the car. Pretty sad and bitter grapes to be honest. One of the best drivers of all time.
I am not that into F1 but I bet a bit on it and majority of the races Hamilton to win if he starts in 1st is a Very safe bet . He is a machine

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Part of Sebs leaving package is that he now has to do everyone elses job.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Another immaculate drive from Hamilton. He’s just phenomenal. So many whiners in this thread about his dominance, but the guy just doesn’t make mistakes. He was flawless today, as he so often is. He gets so much disrespect from people saying it’s just the car. Pretty sad and bitter grapes to be honest. One of the best drivers of all time.
Without meaning to discredit Hamilton, the same could be said for Verstappen this weekend, and yet he never had any chance of winning the race. You can't just completely factor the car out of the equation.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Time to find a new test track for testing. They know the track too well.

Hephaestus

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/16/leclerc-drove-two-laps-with-seat-belts-off-after-engine-glitch/

Leclerc is a fecking idiot who should honestly be facing a race ban for this shit. Moving the car for any distance without your seatbelt attached is beyond stupid but to drive by the pits, do a full lap at a decent pace (1:24) and only then tell your team that you undid your seatbelt is mindblowing. Ferrari deserve some stick for the fact that they told him to pit when he finally told them about it instead of saying "pull over as soon as it's safe, you utter idiot" but Leclerc needs his head testing.

F-Red

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/16/leclerc-drove-two-laps-with-seat-belts-off-after-engine-glitch/

Leclerc is a fecking idiot who should honestly be facing a race ban for this shit. Moving the car for any distance without your seatbelt attached is beyond stupid but to drive by the pits, do a full lap at a decent pace (1:24) and only then tell your team that you undid your seatbelt is mindblowing. Ferrari deserve some stick for the fact that they told him to pit when he finally told them about it instead of saying "pull over as soon as it's safe, you utter idiot" but Leclerc needs his head testing.
Even more mind blowing when Jules Bianchi was his godfather. Agree, he needs his testing & I'd be surprised if there isn't a fine applied.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I would suggest a lot of the criticism he gets is at the person not the driver. The preaching do as I say not as I do while living abroad and climbing the Silverstone fences draped in a flag kind of thing.

I don't particularly blame him for bettering himself but he does his image here no favours at all.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

jesus! explains why he drove so slowly once he got restarted again.

Imagine if it happened again and he locked up and span off and hit the wall? he'd come flying out the car ffs.

I imagine he shit himself knowing he shouldn't have undone his belt so fast and then didn't know what to say, but by that point it was too late anyway, should have just gone straight into the pit.

Thank god nothing bad happened.

Wicked_Badger

Without meaning to discredit Hamilton, the same could be said for Verstappen this weekend, and yet he never had any chance of winning the race. You can't just completely factor the car out of the equation.
Flipping it on it’s head, take Hamilton out of it, and the championship is shaping up to be a cracker!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Flipping it on it’s head, take Hamilton out of it, and the championship is shaping up to be a cracker!
Don't you think Verstappen would run away with it? Well - I guess Bottas would provide real competition if he would be Mercedes's #1.

Wicked_Badger

Don't you think Verstappen would run away with it? Well - I guess Bottas would provide real competition if he would be Mercedes's #1.
Only 6 points between them after 6 races. I guess Bottas might have the prime strategy more often which would probably see him gain a few more points, and maybe be sneaking it at the moment in this alternate reality.

He might not have upped his game as much trying to match Hamilton though.

Think it’d be close!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Only 6 points between them after 6 races. I guess Bottas might have the prime strategy more often which would probably see him gain a few more points, and maybe be sneaking it at the moment in this alternate reality.

He might not have upped his game as much trying to match Hamilton though.

Think it’d be close!
Well, certainly anything would be more interesting for the competition that the current situation!

dbs235

Someone said earlier in the thread that the Netflix show made them appreciate the mid-field battles much more. I agree, and it looks pretty interesting again this year, now Racing Point have properly joined McLaren and Renault, Ferrari more often than not has dropped into that pack as well, and Gasly has inserted himself there. Shame there is so little coverage of that tough. Does anybody know if they're filming the show again this year?
Just started watching it now and yeah I'm gonna find myself paying much more attention to the mid-field next Sunday than I do normally.

pauldyson1uk

Turkey's Istanbul Park will host a Grand Prix for the first time since 2011 this year, after Formula 1 announced four more races have been added to the 2020 calendar.

The Turkish Grand Prix will be run on November 15, just before a back-to-back double header in Bahrain, with the Bahrain Grand Prix on November 26 followed by the Sakhir Grand Prix on December 6.

The season concluding Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will take place at the Yas Marina Circuit on December 13.

Formula 1 also confirmed that the Chinese Grand Prix, which was initially postponed earlier this year, will now not be run in 2020, bringing the current race total to 17 for the season.

A statement from Formula 1 said: "We can confirm that Turkey, Bahrain (hosting two races), and Abu Dhabi will be part of the revised season and want to express our thanks to the hard work of all our promoters and partners in making this 17-race season possible.

pauldyson1uk

Races added to the season
14November 13-15FORMULA 1 DHL TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2020
15November 27-29FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX 2020
16December 4-6FORMULA 1 ROLEX SAKHIR GRAND PRIX 2020 (Bahrain)
17December 11 - 13FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2020

Leg-End

Turkey is a great addition, Turn 8 easy flat in these cars though, probably DRS out of the final bit :lol:

Hephaestus

Dunno what the weather is like in Turkey in November, hope it's wet to make it as challenging as possible. Glad it's returned, was always one of the more exciting tracks even if Turn 8 won't be as fearsome if it's dry.

pauldyson1uk

F1 to run second Bahrain race on track's super-fast 'Outer' track
Sub-55s lap times expected for the first time in F1 history at Sakhir GP, the second leg of Bahrain's November-December double header
The layout features just 11 corners and simulations suggest it will result in lap times of below 55 seconds in qualifying and under 60s in the race.
The standard Bahrain GP circuit, which will be used as normal for the venue's first race the week before, runs to 15 corners and last year produced a pole lap of 1:27.866.

The only previous sub-60s pole lap in F1 history (58.79s) was achieved by Ferrari's Niki Lauda in the 1974 French GP at Dijon.

This should make for an exciting race.

keithsingleton

Hammy due a nice result round here, it's been a while. :lol: With 50% chance of rain Sunday should play into his hands, hopefully.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Hammy due a nice result round here, it's been a while. :lol: With 50% chance of rain Sunday should play into his hands, hopefully.
Which is more indicative of his ability than people realise. Spa is one of the few drivers tracks left on the grid where the drives input can make up certain deficiencies in the car. Considering Mercedes advantage for so long, 2 wins for them is kind of embarrassing for him.

Wicked_Badger

Which is more indicative of his ability than people realise. Spa is one of the few drivers tracks left on the grid where the drives input can make up certain deficiencies in the car. Considering Mercedes advantage for so long, 2 wins for them is kind of embarrassing for him.
I get that compared to other tracks their record might be poorer at Spa than many other tracks, but are you seriously insinuating that his ‘poor’ record round Spa indicates that he’s not someone that can get the most out of his equipment?

I’m absolutely no Hamilton fanboy (awesome driver, but a cock), but his results at Spa are as follows:

2019 - 2nd, 0.9 secs behind a cheating Ferrari
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 1st
2016 - 3rd (started 21st after a 15 grid place penalty)
2015 - 1st
2014 - Retired (after Rosberg punctured his tyre)
2013 - 3rd
2012 - Retired (after Grojean caused a clusterfeck of a crash and nearly killed Alonso)
2011 - Retired (after contact with Kobayashi, probably his fault tbf)
2010 - 1st
2009 - Retired
2008 - 3rd (finished 1st but gained a 25 second penalty demoting him)
2007 - 4th

When he’s finished the race, he’s only finished off the podium once, in his maiden year, and even then he finished 4th.

I’d argue his record is pretty decent but he’s had his fair share of bad luck, instead of driving poorly. Granted, he’s had his fair share of luck in other races though.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I get that compared to other tracks their record might be poorer at Spa than many other tracks, but are you seriously insinuating that his ‘poor’ record round Spa indicates that he’s not someone that can get the most out of his equipment?

I’m absolutely no Hamilton fanboy (awesome driver, but a cock), but his results at Spa are as follows:

2018 - 2nd
2017 - 1st
2015 - 1st
2013 - 3rd
2012 - Retired (after Grojean caused a clusterfeck of a crash and nearly killed Alonso)
2010 - 1st
2009 - Retired
2007 - 4th

When he’s finished the race, he’s only finished off the podium once, in his maiden year, and even then he finished 4th.

I’d argue his record is pretty decent but he’s had his fair share of bad luck, instead of driving poorly. Granted, he’s had his fair share of luck in other races though.
Im indicating that he's had a massive advantage for the last 7 years and failed to win in a lot of circumstances where he should have. Im not saying a clean sweep, but two wins is pathetic considering the car advantage he has had. Lets not beat around the bush, aside from 2018, that Mercedes has been the car to have at Spa and he's fallen short at this circuit where a drivers talent comes to the fore. Saying he's due a result in bollocks. He's not owed anything and its pretty much been his own failings as to why he hasnt won.

As an example, here is Schumachers track record

1991 - Qualifies 7th and out qualifies his team mate by a good distance
1992 - Wins
1993 - 2nd
1994 - wins but dq'd (mostly to make the title hunt competitive)
1995 - wins
1996 - wins
1997 - wins
1998 - dnf in lead while coulthard fecking around on race line in the wet;
1999 - didnt race due to leg break
2000 - 2nd (great overtake from Hakkinen);
2001 - wins
2002 - wins

2003 - no race
2004 - 2nd (title wrapped up and Raikkonen was mighty)
2005 - dnf due to Sato
2006 - no race

Highlighted in bold are the years that he had a car that was in the same position as Hamilton has had for the last 7 years. Even then 1995 was questionable that Benneton had the dominate package over Williams. So pretty much, unless he was taken out of the race, he was the quickest driver there and was either the winner or second.

Wicked_Badger

Im indicating that he's had a massive advantage for the last 7 years and failed to win in a lot of circumstances where he should have. Im not saying a clean sweep, but two wins is pathetic considering the car advantage he has had. Lets not beat around the bush, aside from 2018, that Mercedes has been the car to have at Spa and he's fallen short at this circuit where a drivers talent comes to the fore. Saying he's due a result in bollocks. He's not owed anything and its pretty much been his own failings as to why he hasnt won.
Hmm, so out of the last 6 races (that’s when the Merc dominance began) where Hamilton has arguably had the car to beat at Spa he’s:

• DNF’d once, due to his teammate tagging his tyre
  • Won twice
  • Been 2nd in the last 2 years, where I’d argue that Ferrari had the quickest package at Spa (both 2018 as you say, and definitely 2019 too)
  • Finished 3rd after starting 21st
Hardly an ‘embarrassing’ record imo, and certainly not a metric with which to question Hamilton’s ability. But each to their own.

For reference, since the Merc dominance began, his teammates have managed one win (when Hamilton started 21st), two 2nds, and one 3rd, 4th & 5th.

Which races do you think he should’ve won that he’s ‘pathetically failed’ at?

pauldyson1uk

2018 - 2nd
2017 - 1st
2015 - 1st
2013 - 3rd
2010 - 1st
2009 - Retired
2007 - 4th

I would agree this this , his record is decent, 4 DNF in 5 season, is maybe the reason he is thought to have done not that well here.
The 2, 3rd finishes starting so low on the grid were excellent results, I think his Spa record is up there with the best.
Also agree with the awesome driver but a cock comment.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
All the Ferrari powered cars at the back except one Williams. That engine saga has hit them hard.

Krits

Looks like we can’t expect Ferrari to do anything of note till 2022. It’s hard being a Man Utd ans Ferrari fan right now.