12Daniil KvyatAlphaTauri1:41.0191 lap behind
13Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:39.5861 lap behind
14Valtteri BottasMercedes1:38.1931 lap behind
15Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo1:39.7431 lap behind
16George RussellWilliams1:40.8141 lap behind
not classifiedKevin MagnussenHaas1:40.948did not finish completed 57 laps
not classifiedRomain GrosjeanHaas1:43.281did not finish completed 52 laps
not classifiedNicholas LatifiWilliams1:43.495did not finish completed 43 laps
not classifiedAntonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo1:51.154did not finish completed 12 laps

Heardy

Incredible driver Lewis but he comes across as a bit of a douche. What’s is with the stupid phone American accent - trying to come across cooler than he is. Didn’t he grow up in Stevenage?

keithsingleton

For you Hamilton doubters you've just witnessed why he's the greatest of all time. What excuses can you give the others now? The feel he gets in his tyres compared to other drivers second to none.

We know Verstappen got similar pace if they were in the same car but as we've seen time and time again with Verstappen he loses patience.

LEWIS HAMILTON WORLD CHAMPION FOR A 7th TIME AND BECOMES THE MOST SUCCESSFUL DRIVER OF ALL TIME. TAKE A BOW SON.

Abizzz

I slept in today but from what I gather from this thread it was a worthy drive by Lewis for his 7th? A true living legend.

Krits

For you Hamilton doubters you've just witnessed why he's the greatest of all time. What excuses can you give the others now? The feel he gets in his tyres compared to other drivers second to none.

We know Verstappen got similar pace if they were in the same car but as we've seen time and time again with Verstappen he loses patience.

LEWIS HAMILTON WORLD CHAMPION FOR A 7th TIME AND BECOMES THE MOST SUCCESSFUL DRIVER OF ALL TIME. TAKE A BOW SON.

Lewis early in his career suffered from similar impatience. Max has the hypothetical potential to be considered one of the greats. Time will tell how his career pans out. You have to also understand, it is easier sometimes to make decisions from a position of strength when you don't have to take risks. It is harder when you are chasing and have to maybe take a riskier decision to gain an advantage.

But in saying that, no one can take away what lewis has achieved. He deserves all the success he has. Like schumi, he not only is a rapid driver, that is a given. But he seems like an extremely good leader. I remember reading how people were amazed how schumi had the knack of keeping the big picture and being able to talk calmly while driving full paced laps. Lewis exhibits that same knack.

Great drive today.

Mercedes and Lewis are just a title winning machine and as long as that remains together, they will probably keep winning. Knowing how to win is half the battle.

Balljy

That's partially why he was running quicker at the end. A fairly dry track and he's running tyres that are virtually slick. Bottas was seconds slower per lap for the last few laps on new inters, but if there had been a bit of rain Hamilton would have been in big trouble :lol:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Big credit to the drivers for driving in such touch conditions and there not being a single safety car. Some really mega drives in the Top 5.

ArmchairCritic

That's partially why he was running quicker at the end. A fairly dry track and he's running tyres that are virtually slick. Bottas was seconds slower per lap for the last few laps on new inters, but if there had been a bit of rain Hamilton would have been in big trouble :lol:
Not even just that, if he was marginally off the dry line he would have been in big trouble!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
got my times mixed up and missed this!! Need to see those highlights.

Congratulations to Lewis!!!!!!! 7 times world champion. I never thought anyone would equal this record..

Balljy

Interesting quote from Toto Wolff "I think that we are both a factor of each other. If I would go, Mercedes would still be winning and that's something I see as my obligation - that they still win in the future. But that moment has not yet come."

He's obviously paving the way for leaving, if I was going to guess it will be at the end of next season so one more year.

stu_1992

It's actually almost unbelievable that we didn't have a safety car out there today. If someone told me that beforehand, I would have laughed them off. Thought it was a very interesting and entertaining race. I enjoyed it a lot.

Very impressive from Lewis in the manner of how he won. 7 time World champion now, an incredible achievement.

I also have to give credit to the Feraris who were surprisingly good out there today. Fantastic to see Vettel on the podium for them one more time. LeClerc must be sickened to lose a podium right at the end though. I've said it before, but Perez's performance shows why he can't be without a seat next year. Credit to McClaren too to finish quite strongly after starting in a poor position.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Incredible driver Lewis but he comes across as a bit of a douche. What’s is with the stupid phone American accent - trying to come across cooler than he is. Didn’t he grow up in Stevenage?
I find him to be quite the dickhead aswell. He's a massive bellend imo.

Dan_F

Interesting quote from Toto Wolff "I think that we are both a factor of each other. If I would go, Mercedes would still be winning and that's something I see as my obligation - that they still win in the future. But that moment has not yet come."

He's obviously paving the way for leaving, if I was going to guess it will be at the end of next season so one more year.
Im pretty sure he’d want to get Lewis to number 8 before leaving.

I find him to be quite the dickhead aswell. He's a massive bellend imo.
He’s definitely said some stupid things, but at least he tried to make a difference or actually airs his views. It would be much easier for him to act like most sports stars and collect their money, without trying to add anything other than that.

Balljy

Im pretty sure he’d want to get Lewis to number 8 before leaving.
Yeah, agreed. He's said a few times that Lewis and himself are a partnership and hints again at that in the quote. I think they will get to the number 8 before anything changes. Who knows, they may even go together to wherever Wolff is off to...

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I also used to think Hamilton was an arrogant twat but when you understand his story and how he’s behaved in more recent times, I’ve definitely changed my views on him.

Krits

I think Lewis has matured in the last two years. All elite sportsmen are slightly dickish, but he seems to have done a little bit of soul searching and has carried himself better this season (from what I’ve read, media coverage in the UK might be different)

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I also used to think Hamilton was an arrogant twat but when you understand his story and how he’s behaved in more recent times, I’ve definitely changed my views on him.
To "get out of the slums" and go on to become a goat is some achievement.

Great race today too, one of the best for ages.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I seen Russel claim that today wasn't what f1 was about. Now maybe I'm alone in this opinion but i thought today was a great example of exactly what f1 is about. Drivers pushing to the extreme but being punished if they push to far. With the strategy calls from the pits making a real difference in the race too.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Red Bull lacked the execution today and shows the difference vs a title winning team, could’ve pitted Albon for inters earlier but ended up giving up the place anyway. Max had one of his erratic drives from his first part of joining RB.

Fair play to Hamilton, he stayed in the fight and came alive at the right time. Showed everyone today the difference. I thought Vettel did well especially his first stint in front of Max. Stroll must be fuming with his team, he wanted to stay out as well...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Finally got to see the highlights. I got emotional. What an achievement. I'm so proud of him.

I am curious about one thing - how does he so quickly refocus after having bad weekends? I've never seen a sportsman or woman turn things around like Lewis can.

Anyway, hope he enjoys this moment and shame his family couldn't be there with him.

Drawfull

Finally got to see the highlights. I got emotional. What an achievement. I'm so proud of him.

I am curious about one thing - how does he so quickly refocus after having bad weekends? I've never seen a sportsman or woman turn things around like Lewis can.

Anyway, hope he enjoys this moment and shame his family couldn't be there with him.
I guess (with reference to your second paragraph) he knows he is great and so setbacks have very little effect if any on his confidence. Having watched all sessions this weekend, if you'd have said Hamilton would win the race I'd have said you were mad such were the struggles.

He knows in his head he is the best, and regardless of circumstance it's reflected on the track.

Hope we get more than at least one more season of him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think what helps Lewis too is that he's the perfect mix now of maturity and speed when it comes to his driving ability which is why he's able to be more consistent/know when to hold off or push to get wins like he did today. The other quick drivers on the grid such as Max or Charles are still far too naive in their driving.

F-Red

I seen Russel claim that today wasn't what f1 was about. Now maybe I'm alone in this opinion but i thought today was a great example of exactly what f1 is about. Drivers pushing to the extreme but being punished if they push to far. With the strategy calls from the pits making a real difference in the race too.
I kinda agree with Russel, it wasn't a great spectacle of all good things F1 could deliver. We just had the kind of conditions as a reminder of how fragmented the season has been, and why F1 goes to other continents to finish the season. Bernie's artificial rain idea was basically what we saw, and how the predictability of the cars changed which made it to be a different race to what we see. Racing Point must be kicking themselves, could have had a strong 1-2 finish.

Turkey is a race that hopefully will come back in a few years time, it's definitely one of the better designed Tilke tracks.

As for Hamilton, you don't win 7 titles by chance. He's always been consistent on the track, and ironically all of the criticism I read of him talks more about him outside F1 rather than his sporting achievements on the track. He will go down as one of the best in the sport, right up there with Fangio, Clark, Schumacher.

Leg-End

I think Brundle said it best in commentary, it was a great advert for why F1 needs to knock downforce off these cars. I've actually really enjoyed seeing these monster downforce machines for a few seasons but it's definitely at a cross roads now where we want to see it freshened up.

It's a shame circumstances have robbed us of 2022 rules but it makes sense, it's going to be a massive change for the sport.

ArmchairCritic

Rewatched the race today. Clean air was a massive difference maker for both Leclerc and Hamilton. The way Hamilton turned the wick up on old inters after Vettel pitted was sensational. Lap 32 he's 10.3s off the lead, Lap 33 Seb pits, Lap 34 Albon spins, Lap 36 Stroll pits, L37 he passes Perez for the lead and by the end of L45 he's 19s ahead of Perez. The McLaren was really fast at the end of the race too, a few more laps and I reckon Sainz would have had P2.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I kinda agree with Russel, it wasn't a great spectacle of all good things F1 could deliver. We just had the kind of conditions as a reminder of how fragmented the season has been, and why F1 goes to other continents to finish the season. Bernie's artificial rain idea was basically what we saw, and how the predictability of the cars changed which made it to be a different race to what we see. Racing Point must be kicking themselves, could have had a strong 1-2 finish.

Turkey is a race that hopefully will come back in a few years time, it's definitely one of the better designed Tilke tracks.

As for Hamilton, you don't win 7 titles by chance. He's always been consistent on the track, and ironically all of the criticism I read of him talks more about him outside F1 rather than his sporting achievements on the track. He will go down as one of the best in the sport, right up there with Fangio, Clark, Schumacher.
I agree with you in that the circumstances that caused it where rather Mickey Mouse, but I think it was a great advert for what I think is the solution to the current issues in F1, the cars are too big, too difficult to follow and have too much downforce. The race wasn't good because of the rain, but because the cars where much harder to control. If you watch the classic f1 seasons drivers where wrestling their cars around corners living on the edge where mistakes where punished massively. In modern F1 mistakes aren't punished because of the massive run off areas. Obviously for safety reasons we can't bring back the old close barriers, so maybe the solution is to reduce downforce and make mistakes easier to make, rewarding driver skill more.

Vettel, Perez, Leclerc and Hamilton all ran largely mistake free races and got rewarded in Turkey. That's what I want to see more of, great drives where you can really respect the skill of the driver.