F1 2020 Season

Tiber

Had to work but looks like Russell gave old Bottas all he could handle despite years of practice in the car. Who could have predicted that

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
There is plenty of strange posts about Lewis, all over social media, apparently Russell doing well , means that it all the car.
I have said Russell is a cracking driver for a while, in a winning car he has proved it, I did think Albon would do better.
Well yeah, thats exactly what it means. If a driver who has never driven a car before can get in there and be just as quick as a driver that has been in the car for the last 4 years, yeah it is all about the car. The bullshit that was always directed at Schumacher was that anybody could win in those Ferraris or be quick... somebody has just got into the Mercedes and is quick...

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Pretty clear that Leclerc and Verstappen are the best around at the moment.

altodevil

They should do a charity event each year where the drivers all go up against each other in the same car.
I've always been a fan of a two race system like in F2. Except one race is for the constructors with their own cars, like all races at the moment. Then a second shorter race with spec cars and one shot qualifying for the drivers championship.

Wilt

I’d love to see what Verstappen could do in a Mercedes

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Well yeah, thats exactly what it means. If a driver who has never driven a car before can get in there and be just as quick as a driver that has been in the car for the last 4 years, yeah it is all about the car. The bullshit that was always directed at Schumacher was that anybody could win in those Ferraris or be quick... somebody has just got into the Mercedes and is quick...
EDIT: Oh, you were referring to Bottas.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Interestingly, Mercedes made Hamilton and Rosberg swap mechanics for 2016 and Hamilton was not happy (the DNF in Malaysia did not help).
Each car has strengths and weaknesses, where the driver can make a difference is being able to drive the car to it's limits in accordance with a specific setup. This setup will be honed between driver and engineer but the very best will allow the engineer to try more things and will show the engineers where there is potential to be unlocked. Vettel is a great example right now. He needs a very stable rear end to drive fast but the Ferrari does not have a stable rear end when it tries to go fast. Leclerc can deal with it that but Vettel cannot and that's why we see him spinning so much.

This year's Mercedes is the perfect race car, I think the only weakness it has is when it's stuck in traffic. It is a by-product of constant improvement throughout the hybrid era. Hamilton touched on it a few weeks ago:

In the years prior the Mercedes was renowned as a bit of a 'diva', so loads of hard work between drivers and engineers to hone the package combined with Ferrari's illegal engine has pushed Mercedes to where they are now. Really interested to see how Russell copes over a stint with the tyres, that's where Bottas really struggles compared to Hamilton.

The other important element is strategy between engineer and driver. Mercedes know Lewis can be a bit emotional over the radio but they also know how to manage that and that Hamilton is capable of pulling off a variety of different strategies. Communication is so critical and again as they do not know Russell so well it will be interesting to see how they react if he says the tyres are dead. Mercedes are not the best team when it comes to executing strategies, but it goes under the radar a bit.
Interesting post.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I kinda love Mick Schumachers approach to team communication when in the car. No whinging, team tells him to do something, replies with a simple... ok. Michael was exactly the same. There is a calmness and control about him that tells me he has potential to be great.

Ross Brawn use to wax fanatically about Michael’s ability to process data on the run and talk to you calmly like He was sitting next to you while going 300kmh

Fluctuation0161

The reason Grosjean is alive today is because the barrier wasn't rigid. If it was rigid and built of the likes of hardened steel the car would become the remover of force and he would have been killed. A barrier needs to stretch and bend to increase the stopping distance of the car and reduce the G force as much as possible. This is an impact that was so fast that it exceeded the limits the barrier could bend and he went partially through it. This is still better than something which would stop the car with greater force when the impact is around 150mph.

I agree that they need to and will look at this and review if they can do anything but there's basic physics at play here as bouncing back into the track could be even worse depending on the part of the track it is in and increasing the give of the barrier (tyre walls) would increase the chances that can happen.
Looks like the shirt term solution is adding tyres. Longer term will be interesting to see what they do.

Race Director announces barrier where Grosjean crashed will have tyres added ahead of Sakhir GP
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...l-have-tyres-added.GVwQ893yXsXsnoZJORiey.html

Nb. As an aside, the font on that website headline is horrible.

Tiber

Puts Hamilton's results for the last few years into perspective...
Says a hell of a lot more about Bottas. The second he is out of that Merc his career will fade into obscurity.

But that's what Merc want at the moment beside Lewis, a quiet yes Man who is grateful just to be in the car. Not a Rosberg or Alonso who will upset Hamilton.

Tiber

Even after qualifying Russell still didn't know how to turn the car off and was asking the engineers for help :lol:

Well done to Bottas 6.0 for beating him by a millisecond

Tiber

Wtf1 isn't for everyone but this video is great. They have had a relationship with Jack Aitken for years, they are friends, wft1 sponsored his car at a lower level and he has appeared in numerous podcasts and karting videos.

They have a new 20 min video with him talking about becoming an F1 driver for the first time. Goes far beyond the usual soundboxes you heqr from drivers

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Even after qualifying Russell still didn't know how to turn the car off and was asking the engineers for help :lol:

Well done to Bottas 6.0 for beating him by a millisecond
He also doesn't really fit in the car because he's too tall, he has to wear smaller sized shoes so he can operate the pedals, the steering wheel is molded after Hamilton's hands and he's had to relearn how to use all the systems and buttons in the car. Granted it's not stuff that will slow you down significantly on a qualifying lap but seeing how he's only had two days to get familiar with the car it's hard to not be very impressed with him being 0.02sec off pole.

For the last 25 odd years I've wanted a Ferrari driver to win every single F1 race but tomorrow I think I'm going to root for a Williams driver in a Mercedes instead. :D

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Not into F1 at all, but someone who hasn't manage to get a point in 35 races goes into a Mercedes and gets second position right away in qualifies? Without specific training with the car etc.?
Says a lot about the imbalance in the race, I understand that it's always a mix about the driver and the mechanics behind it but surely that margin is horrendous for the sport?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
A quick driver who does wonders in qualifying with his own car just got into a quick car and was quick. What a surprise.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Not into F1 at all, but someone who hasn't manage to get a point in 35 races goes into a Mercedes and gets second position right away in qualifies? Without specific training with the car etc.?
Says a lot about the imbalance in the race, I understand that it's always a mix about the driver and the mechanics behind it but surely that margin is horrendous for the sport?
That's a bit like saying 'not into football at all but someone who hasn't scored a goal at Bolton in the last 20 games just got into United's team and scores a penalty right away?'

ArmchairCritic

Driving an F1 car all season is as about as specific training as you can get I would imagine. Russell knows the team having been reserve driver in 2018 and completed a test with them at the end of last season in Abu Dhabi. They will have spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday going through all the different settings on the car and the steering wheel. Apparently Mercedes also have a rig at the track where drivers can practice start procedures.

A big learning curve for sure but Russell is a young and talented driver (a former F2 champion, ahead of Norris and Albon).

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

Wtf1 isn't for everyone but this video is great. They have had a relationship with Jack Aitken for years, they are friends, wft1 sponsored his car at a lower level and he has appeared in numerous podcasts and karting videos.

They have a new 20 min video with him talking about becoming an F1 driver for the first time. Goes far beyond the usual soundboxes you heqr from drivers

Aitken did well too, would have beaten Latifi had he not run wide at the final corner. Says a lot about what Russell has been doing all season...(I'm joking).

United Hobbit

They should do a charity event each year where the drivers all go up against each other in the same car.
I've always been a fan of a two race system like in F2. Except one race is for the constructors with their own cars, like all races at the moment. Then a second shorter race with spec cars and one shot qualifying for the drivers championship.
I’d love to see what Verstappen could do in a Mercedes
I'd also like to see them all in an exact same spec car think it would be really interesting. It would be interesting to see what Hamilton or Verstappen could get out of the bad cars eg the Haas and Williams. I obviously don't expect a win but could they get in the points

I know it will never happen but im another who would like to see Verstappen in the Mercedes it would at least make their dominance interesting

ArmchairCritic

I'd also like to see them all in an exact same spec car think it would be really interesting. It would be interesting to see what Hamilton or Verstappen could get out of the bad cars eg the Haas and Williams. I obviously don't expect a win but could they get in the points

I know it will never happen but im another who would like to see Verstappen in the Mercedes it would at least make their dominance interesting
I think F1 is in a bit of a philosophical quandary. Clearly moving the 'Formula' closer towards a spec series would improve the show a great deal but it would not be an attractive prospect for manufacturers. Ferrari do not race in F1 to say 'our engineers and mechanics setup the exact same car better than anyone else'. Maybe F1 needs to shed that history to survive long term, maybe there's a happy medium of spec'd and non spec'd parts, who knows. What we do know is that the cars need to be closer together and that they need to be able to race properly without DRS trains or dirty air etc etc.

Last edited:

slyadams

The other issue with a spec series is the spec will suit some drivers more than others. You won’t find out who the best drivers are just who the person who suits the spec the most is.

It would be a bit like saying to find out who the best striker is we’ll just cross balls into the box and find out who scores the most.

Regarding Russell’s result, I don’t think I was a surprise. I think talent wise there’s a top 4 of Hamilton, Max, Leclerc and Russell (maybe Ricciardo knocks on that door). What today showed was that Russell is naturally faster than Bottas by being so close immediately. I sort of hope Russell gets the last race too, around a track where the driver will have more of a chance to impact the result.

altodevil

The other issue with a spec series is the spec will suit some drivers more than others. You won’t find out who the best drivers are just who the person who suits the spec the most is.

It would be a bit like saying to find out who the best striker is we’ll just cross balls into the box and find out who scores the most.

Regarding Russell’s result, I don’t think I was a surprise. I think talent wise there’s a top 4 of Hamilton, Max, Leclerc and Russell (maybe Ricciardo knocks on that door). What today showed was that Russell is naturally faster than Bottas by being so close immediately. I sort of hope Russell gets the last race too, around a track where the driver will have more of a chance to impact the result.
Russell is not in that top tier, there's no proof of that at the moment. I'd fancy Ricciardo to be closer, but he always seemed a tenth down on Verstappen. Max may just be on his own small tier at the top though.

Jaxa

Not been as excited for a race in a long time, so much that could happen with Hamilton out and will be really interesting to see how Russell manages over the whole period of the race

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Russell is a good driver, but he is also the most over rated on the grid by a good margin. It's the English effect, Norris is as well, though both are young and have obviously huge scope to get better.

slyadams

Russell is not in that top tier, there's no proof of that at the moment. I'd fancy Ricciardo to be closer, but he always seemed a tenth down on Verstappen. Max may just be on his own small tier at the top though.
You say that there’s no proof Russell is top tier but then put Max as the best of all of them, it’s a bit contradictory.

There’s plenty to suggest both are very quick, ranking them will always be a bit subjective.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
The drivers rate Russell as one of the quickest over one lap.
Won't disagree he is quick over one lap, F1 races are a sprint not a marathon though. Bottas is very close to Hamilton over 1 lap pace but he's nowhere near him usually by the end of the race.

altodevil

You say that there’s no proof Russell is top tier but then put Max as the best of all of them, it’s a bit contradictory.

There’s plenty to suggest both are very quick, ranking them will always be a bit subjective.
Yeah maybe so. I think Latifi is always going to be an awful benchmark either way.

Asger

F2 is so much more fun than F1. I had never watch it before I started to watch on Friday! F1 is like a charity race compared to F2!

Tiber

Aitken did well too, would have beaten Latifi had he not run wide at the final corner. Says a lot about what Russell has been doing all season...(I'm joking).
Speaking of Latifi, isn't it great that the bazzilionaire sons club is getting a third member next year, while guys like Hulk and Perez can't get a drive

Last edited:

Tiber

F2 is so much more fun than F1. I had never watch it before I started to watch on Friday! F1 is like a charity race compared to F2!
This is true. Pretty much anyone can win. I have always liked the technology of F1, but this decade of dominance in F1 has started to make me long for a spec series.

Or maybe even just a spec engine, then teams just have to dick around with aero (which really is boring as feck). With Honda gone, Renault never looking secure and more than occasional rumours about Mercedes selling, it isn't impossible to imagine.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Speaking of Latifi, isn't it rest that the bazzilionaire sons club is getting a third member next year, while guys like Hulk and Perez can't get a drive
Teams need the money to keep the lights on, Haas and Williams are strapped for cash. While Stroll pumped money into Racing Point after the went bankrupt. Also it's a little rich for Perez to start moaning about pay drivers.