Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

On form he is simply an excellent CB. He has some relative limitations, for sure, but he has relative strengths.

I don’t think anyone will argue he hasn’t had a difficult couple of years but the criticism has been over the top. I would not sell him unless we are going to buy another RCB who is clearly superior to him. He provides good cover and I wouldn’t be too worried if Harry had to step in for a while if Varane gets injured (which is fairly likely to happen now and then).

Pleased for him today.

Bobski

The thing is, that just because he might not have been the player some thought he was before coming to Utd doesn't mean he is a bad player. He has been alright for Utd generally, not as good as we needed him to be but nowhere near as bad as the abuse he gets would indicate. Think he has been a victim of some of the worst of the sheep like social media trends, being memed into a caricature.

Very good game today.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

This game suited him perfectly. His lack of pace was unlikely to get exposed vs Everton's forward line. Credit where credits due though - he put in a solid performance today.

devil99

I guess people see what they want to see.
I want every United player to perform flawlessly. But there was a moment when he put his arm around Gray and got away with it some how, it was a sigh of a relief from me actually.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He wasn't today though, he was solid and it was a far better performance against an admittedly poor Everton.
Don’t ruin it for us, you/he can’t take our narrative off us. We’re still playing our first two games of the season.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I’m glad he is getting on with his football. He contributed well today and hopefully he keeps this level of concentration in his next appearances.
A CB concentration is everything and today he was spot on.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
On form he is simply an excellent CB. He has some relative limitations, for sure, but he has relative strengths.

I don’t think anyone will argue he hasn’t had a difficult couple of years but the criticism has been over the top. I would not sell him unless we are going to buy another RCB who is clearly superior to him. He provides good cover and I wouldn’t be too worried if Harry had to step in for a while if Varane gets injured (which is fairly likely to happen now and then).

Pleased for him today.
Very good today, did everything required of him.
Not sure Harry will stay at United though, for two reasons, 1/- Harry will want to be first choice CB, I still think he prefers lcb, but Ten Hag certainly won't play him there, and when Varane is fit, Harry won't play.
2/- Ten Hag doesn't fancy him at CB, I think he prefers more pace and athleticism, and quicker and more accurate passing out from the back, which today was excellent, but Everton are a poor side, let's see if he can do it against the better teams.

Abraxas

Wasn't a hard game to be honest, with just the lone Simms up front who I'm not really sure is a PL striker. But a job well done.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I want every United player to perform flawlessly. But there was a moment when he put his arm around Gray and got away with it some how, it was a sigh of a relief from me actually.
'Got away with it somehow'? He just shepherded him off the ball and it was never a foul, assuming it's the incident I'm thinking of. If Martinez had done that I'm sure it would have been wily Argentinian defending.

Stadjer

Pleased for him today.
I dont think he is an excellent CB at any time. What does he have that makes him excellent compared to other CBs?

He isnt fast, isnt smart, usually slow on the ball, isnt leading and setting up a defense, isnt as amazing on the ball as some like to claim he is, isnt mobile, cant turn quick and is always capable of making a big or small mistake leading to a chance. That mistake could be getting beating very easy by a quick agile player, lunging into a pro active tackle and missing or making a clumsy foul.

Maguire is tall and strong. He is capable of putting his head against the ball but cant direct the ball when heading it away.

He is a decent CB with some very obvious limitations but i dont see anything that makes him an excellent CB. Doesnt mean he doesnt have a use or cant have good games but an excellent CB has special qualities and no game defining limitations.

Devil You Know

He's a very good centreback who puts in a lot of very good performances when he's given a chance. Yes, he had a poor run after the Euros last year. But that's in the past.

Every single game he plays now, he seems to play well only for people to post excuses about why this was a one-off and doesn't count. Just accept the fact that Harry has turned a corner. He may not be a long term player for United because EtH is more of a fan of Martinez and Varance. But Maguire is still good enough for a top 4 club, exactly as he proved in the two seasons before his form went off the rails.

devil99

'Got away with it somehow'? He just shepherded him off the ball and it was never a foul, assuming it's the incident I'm thinking of. If Martinez had done that I'm sure it would have been wily Argentinian defending.
I know it is not a foul but clumsy though. You can’t compare Harry’s with Lisandros defending techniques. He does things too, but subtly. Being short helps in that case I suppose.

Lately we don’t seem to get anything favourable from VAR. So why give a chance for VAR to feck us over.

Bobski

A quick glance at the games he has played this season and with some probably erroneous counting I make it Utd have conceded 8 goals in the last 21 games Maguire has played.

OrcaFat

I dont think he is an excellent CB at any time. What does he have that makes him excellent compared to other CBs?

He isnt fast, isnt smart, usually slow on the ball, isnt leading and setting up a defense, isnt as amazing on the ball as some like to claim he is, isnt mobile, cant turn quick and is always capable of making a big or small mistake leading to a chance. That mistake could be getting beating very easy by a quick agile player, lunging into a pro active tackle and missing or making a clumsy foul.

Maguire is tall and strong. He is capable of putting his head against the ball but cant direct the ball when heading it away.

He is a decent CB with some very obvious limitations but i dont see anything that makes him an excellent CB. Doesnt mean he doesnt have a use or cant have good games but an excellent CB has special qualities and no game defining limitations.
Yeah, he’s not world class and I don’t have a major problem with your personal definition of “excellent”. I said he’s excellent when he’s on form. Over the years he’s put in a lot of performances which meet my definition of excellent - solid, dominant defensively, contributing to build up, imposing himself on the game in possession, threatening and scoring off set pieces. He’s not on form every week; he’s not “excellent” every week; that’s manifestly true.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Apart from one weird moment where he did not help cover Simms for a golden chance he was OK.
In that situation, had he come over to cover for Martinez (who was caught way out of position) Maguire would have been leaving his man. Mind you, I also think he should have stepped over to help out, but if he did and Simms gave the square ball for an easy tap in, everyone would be going on about how Harry left his man all alone...

OrcaFat

A quick glance at the games he has played this season and with some probably erroneous counting I make it Utd have conceded 8 goals in the last 21 games Maguire has played.
I’m not really surprised. I think I’ve often rated him higher than most others have.

He did have a bad run of form during which media, pundits, fans, you name it, were very critical and said he had lost his confidence. At times he did look exposed but even then I often thought the criticism was too harsh. The idea that he was finished seemed extreme.

He stuck in there and here he is, stepping up when called upon and doing a pretty good job. He might leave but I’m happy if he stays.

Mmm-Qatarian

In that situation, had he come over to cover for Martinez (who was caught way out of position) Maguire would have been leaving his man. Mind you, I also think he should have stepped over to help out, but if he did and Simms gave the square ball for an easy tap in, everyone would be going on about how Harry left his man all alone...
Yeah, I had a feeling at least one person would blame Maguire for that but it very obviously wasn't his fault.

Licha was caught out of position after being slightly too aggressive trying to win the ball back but the real problem with that chance was that Malacia didn't do anything to cover his centre back. He basically just stopped tracking back and left Simms in acres; it was really strange.

That was definitely one of Maguire's best performances in a while, albeit in a not particularly difficult game. I do think he will end up being a smart acquisition for one of the mid-table Premier League teams next season; I'd say he'd be the best centre back in the side for most of them.

68cob

I was pleasantly surprised with him today, although he wasn't really tested.

Jaykespeare88

Good today, not a fan of slagging off players for the sake of it, I don't like him at all but he was pretty assured today and good passing. Well done.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He's a very good centreback who puts in a lot of very good performances when he's given a chance. Yes, he had a poor run after the Euros last year. But that's in the past.

Every single game he plays now, he seems to play well only for people to post excuses about why this was a one-off and doesn't count. Just accept the fact that Harry has turned a corner. He may not be a long term player for United because EtH is more of a fan of Martinez and Varance. But Maguire is still good enough for a top 4 club, exactly as he proved in the two seasons before his form went off the rails.
and it’s been a while now. He’ll have decent games yet get dragged through the mud on here

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
and it’s been a while now. He’ll have decent games yet get dragged through the mud on here
And showered with praise when we play a team that barely threatened us? It goes both ways doesn't it?
Everton had literally 1 chance whole game - 1 shot on target 4 wide while we had 13 shots 9 of them being on target. It was total domination and Maguire gets praised for basically being untested?

Devil You Know

And showered with praise when we play a team that barely threatened us? It goes both ways doesn't it?
Everton had literally 1 chance whole game - 1 shot on target 4 wide while we had 13 shots 9 of them being on target. It was total domination and Maguire gets praised for basically being untested?
Do you... do you... think Maguire was our goalkeeper?

If Everton were limited to only 1 shot on target, that demonstrates the defence in front of DDG did their job.

Reactions: roonster09

Bondi77

Spot on mate, but some just cannot leave it alone.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Do you... do you... think Maguire was our goalkeeper?

If Everton were limited to only 1 shot on target, that demonstrates the defence in front of DDG did their job.
Has nothing to do with the defence. They barely even threatened. When was the last time we faced such a toothless team?
They're in a relegation battle for a reason they managed to score 23 goals which is the least in the league.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Based on that criteria the midfielders should not get recognition for their performance as well.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Maguire doesn't have the requisite quality to play in the first team. I agree he was decent against Everton but I wouldn't call it a sterling performance. He did what he was supposed to do apart from his frantic effort to recover against Gray. His ball distribution is good but he still appears painfully ponderous in possession.

Looking forward to him being sold to a team that matches his style of play

Status
Not open for further replies.