Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Have to disagree. Sancho has very sound technique in tight spaces and is much better at retaining the ball in those tight situations. Elanga struggles with that. With space he can be effective to a degree. But its a clear step down when elanga plays.
Sancho is obviously better in tight spaces, but it's more a question what he makes of it. Today he didn't really do anything that Elanga can't do, that's my point. In more tight game, who knows. But Elanga is fast, and given the ball outside is more likely to beat a defender.

I'm just not a big fan of Sancho, and would like someone to challenge him for LW spot. It's there for the taking, at least until Martial is back.

eire-red

I think he's worth persevering for. Looks like it's taking him time to adapt to the pace and intensity still.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Very passive still. Seems lacking in confidence for some reason.

RedDevil@84

ETH's big test will be to get this lad play well. He is a costly player on silly money. He has to step up.

CloneMC16

The only player I was disappointed in. I am pretty concerned with his performances. There was one instance he did take his man on. He went on the outside, which isn't typical of him. He played a low cross into the box, but it ended up getting blocked. I wish he did that more often. Too often he receives the ball and plays it back to where it came from seconds later.

He will still continue to start with Martial being made of glass. Rashford will play as striker. We need more from him.

Abraxas

Definitely the weakest link in the attacking unit. Maybe in the overall team as well. Just a bit limp sadly, the same old mistakes we don't really want to see with all the turning back and taking the easy option. Even during the celebrations he looked a bit sheepish like he knew this wasn't good and he's down on confidence. The worry is, he really shouldn't be down on confidence so easily when he's scored some goals this year.

In Rainbows

Thought he was decent in the first half, but terrible in the 2nd half. His touches in the 2nd half were not good enough compared to his usual standard.

Vapor trail

His bottom level is a lot higher than a lot of other attackers because he knows how to retain possession. We're not seeing much of his top level though.

When all of our attackers (including Bruno) did very little against Newcastle, he was the best of a mediocre lot. Tonight, he was the worst because the others upped their game and intensity.
I agree, I think German football is a detriment to the speed of the game in the english league. Sancho would excel in a match where's there's minimal intensity. I think his time in the Bundesliga he had milliseconds more extra time to base his decisions off and commit to make movements. This is where to lesser extent Havertz (who has adjusted more) and Werner were undone. It seems to be a theme with a few players coming from German football in attacking positions.

Vapor trail

The only player I was disappointed in. I am pretty concerned with his performances. There was one instance he did take his man on. He went on the outside, which isn't typical of him. He played a low cross into the box, but it ended up getting blocked. I wish he did that more often. Too often he receives the ball and plays it back to where it came from seconds later.
It's becoming a behaviour that's being picked up by all spectators. I recall Shearer also raising the same point in commentary when Spurs were pinned back near their box. Especially against teams that sit, wingers have to be direct to create spaces for the other attacking players / forwards as they either stretch teams or condense the opposition defence for a cut-back opportunity. Sancho will have to reinvent himself if he's going to be effective.

I won't write him off however but irrespective the club should go for Gakpo in the winter market.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’ll be interesting to see if ETH can get him to play to the level required. He’s on obviously a good player we just need to see it more.

MyDevil

How on earth he has more minutes than Anthony? Our worst performer on the night. Too passive. Unlike Anthony who will find spaces to attack and reveive the pass. Sancho rather wait and lack of ideas to penetrate the defense.

Tarrou

How on earth he has more minutes than Anthony? Our worst performer on the night. Too passive. Unlike Anthony who will find spaces to attack and reveive the pass. Sancho rather wait and lack of ideas to penetrate the defense.
I think its just a case of resting Anthony because he put a massive shift in

also Sancho will likely be dropped once Martial's back, with Rashford moving to the left

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
That's 4/5 poor performances in a row now. Kept it simple, didn't lose the ball much and did the defensive work which is at least the minimum.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Poor. Been in the team a lot longer than Anthony who made him look non league last night. No threat at all, just safe passes.

Dannn411

When Tony finally gets fit, I don't think he starts anymore. Simply not good enough. He has gotten so many chances and nothing has changed.

Raw

You'd think he'd have thrived yesterday when the rest of the team was on song. Needs benching for a while.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He started the game yesterday by being loose in possession 3 times in the space of about 20 seconds... and I don't really think it got much better from there.

He's just too passive/unthreatening... honestly feels like he's half arsing it half of the time.

The worst player on the pitch tonight. He needs to improve.
*in red ;)

I still think there were 10 Spurs players that were worse!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What's so annoying is he is such a skilled footballer, but looks like he's happy to do the bare minimum that keeps him in the team.
He's not bad, he's OK and always some good contributions, but I think the way we play (pinning the opposition team around their box), we need wide players to create more havoc and confusion. He keeps the ball ticking which is nice, but a bit meh.
It's frustrating because I thought he will benefit the most from ETH system/coaching. Clearly the team started moving the ball better, but somehow it doesn't seem to affect Sancho in a positive way.

JoaquinJoaquin

Let's be honest, we've seen enough from Elanga that he lacks the technical security to be anything more than a bench option. It wasn't a good Sancho performance but the team comfortably better off with Sancho in it over Elanga.

I think some have forgotten how limited of a footballer Elanga. We'll be reminded eventually when Elanga does start a game and everyone is moaning he messes up a lot of the basics.
This is why Garnacho should be given more minutes. We know Elanga doesn't have the quality, but Garnacho might.

saivet

This is why Garnacho should be given more minutes. We know Elanga doesn't have the quality, but Garnacho might.
Perhaps, disappointed we haven't seen much of Garnacho. Hopefully he gets meaningful minutes in the EL and League Cup at the very least.

lenny_1248

As people mentioned above, it does seem like he's half arsing when he goes to press.
Overall, I'm sure he will come good.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
It's not his style. He needs technical players around him. He found Fred in the box three times yesterday in the first half alone. He found Bruno once too. In all four occasions they both proceeded to promptly make a mess of it. All I could think was "if that was Martial".

Judas

Open to offers
Baffled how timid he’s been for us. Compared to the confident brash and arrogant way he played in Germany, it’s quite puzzling.

Hopefully Ten Hag can unlock him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Honestly think he is scared
That's exactly it. He plays with fear. We have to hope he grows and fulfills his potential. If he continues to play in such a meek manner he'll have to be sold.

I still have hope for him. There are times when his class is very obvious. But the fear he's playing with is too

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In Germany I hardly saw him beat his man -

he was more making runs behind the high defensive line and making cut backs to the striker.

His games in the CL vs the Bundesliga was easy to see the difference in quality.

Bondi77

Erik is still picking him so he feels like he is doing a job for him so he is getting every chance to establish himself.

Stacks

It's not his style. He needs technical players around him. He found Fred in the box three times yesterday in the first half alone. He found Bruno once too. In all four occasions they both proceeded to promptly make a mess of it. All I could think was "if that was Martial".
every single player on Earth will do better with technical or better players around them. Did he play them into clear goal scoring opportunities or were there lots of bodies in front of them?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That is no longer an excuse. Technical ability is not an issue anymore. Giving the ball to players surrounded with opposition is also not the best way to play football.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's playing within himself.

There's moments where he's one on one and you just want to see him drive at the fullback. Overall, I think he had a decent game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Erik is still picking him so he feels like he is doing a job for him so he is getting every chance to establish himself.
He plays because he has no competition now, even when he plays half-arsed he will still be picked ahead of Elanga (Garnacho is out of picture apparently). Once Martial is back, it's very unlikely he keeps his spot.
I like the idea of him as a backup winger, he rarely plays more than 60' on high intensity anyway. But I still think we might use Elanga a bit more. He has decent technique and is much faster than Sancho, can give fullback a hard time.
I don't like the idea of wide playmaker though. We have enough playmakers already, need a spark out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.