View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If van Gaal likes developing young players as much as some have told, i would think he'd be (figuratively) drooling over Wilson and will want him here, to mold as he sees fit.

dutchred

If van Gaal likes developing young players as much as some have told, i would think he'd be (figuratively) drooling over Wilson and will want him here, to mold as he sees fit.
When LvG was at Ajax he inherited a very young Patrick Kluivert. It would be interesting to know how he rates James at the same age as Patrick. The competition in Holland is not as intesive as the EPL. However Patrick was good enough to play in a CL final at 18
Is James ready for this, admitedly that was 20 years ago

Loublaze

ATLien
When LvG was at Ajax he inherited a very young Patrick Kluivert. It would be interesting to know how he rates James at the same age as Patrick. The competition in Holland is not as intesive as the EPL. However Patrick was good enough to play in a CL final at 18
Is James ready for this, admitedly that was 20 years ago
Indeed. He also gave Seedorf his debut at 16. If Wilson goes off on loan its only because the team has too many forwards as it is. A decision on Wilson's season hinges on whatever transfer business we conduct before the window shuts. If we get the reinforcements we need, I can see LVG getting rid of a few players, possibly Zaha and/or Chicharito, which could open up a spot for the young man.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Indeed. He also gave Seedorf his debut at 16. If Wilson goes off on loan its only because the team has too many forwards as it is. A decision on Wilson's season hinges on whatever transfer business we conduct before the window shuts. If we get the reinforcements we need, I can see LVG getting rid of a few players, possibly Zaha and/or Chicharito, which could open up a spot for the young man.
Certainly, I think when he mentioned 5 number 9s, he had Wilson in mind(or Will Keane but highly unlikely). If Chicharito does leave, I can see Wilson getting a few games in the first team.

Hamadovich86

Is Wilson ready to breakthrough the first team? Since its likely we'll offload Chicha I could see Wilson take the 4th striker spot and come in the team when one RvP/Rooney are not playing for whatever reason.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Is Wilson ready to breakthrough the first team? Since its likely we'll offload Chicha I could see Wilson take the 4th striker spot and come in the team when one RvP/Rooney are not playing for whatever reason.
Januzaj is likely to be 4th striker if we stick with the 352. I still think it's best for Wilson to go out on loan for at least half the season, whether that be now or from January I don't know.

Too many people on here seem to have this idea that going out on loan = not yet good enough. That's not the case at all. The loan system is a great way of developing players and we need to use it to our advantage.

Hamadovich86

Januzaj is likely to be 4th striker if we stick with the 352. I still think it's best for Wilson to go out on loan for at least half the season, whether that be now or from January I don't know.

Too many people on here seem to have this idea that going out on loan = not yet good enough. That's not the case at all. The loan system is a great way of developing players and we need to use it to our advantage.
You think Adnan would play as 9 and not 10? I dont know if his finishing is clinical enough for him to be a 9 but at the same time I dont know if 10 would suit him either. He has the skills to play on the wing even though hes not crazy fast. Sending Wilson on loan could be a good move for him but even playing as a backup striker is good, I like your idea of loaning him for half a season he has to play in some capacity to keep on developing.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
You think Adnan would play as 9 and not 10? I dont know if his finishing is clinical enough for him to be a 9 but at the same time I dont know if 10 would suit him either. He has the skills to play on the wing even though hes not crazy fast. Sending Wilson on loan could be a good move for him but even playing as a backup striker is good, I like your idea of loaning him for half a season he has to play in some capacity to keep on developing.
How are you defining a 9 in a 352? :confused:

Anyway, this has been done to death over and over in numerous threads recently. Januzaj could easily operate in a similar role to which Robben played in the WC. Whether you call that a 9 or 10 I don't know or care.

Hamadovich86

How are you defining a 9 in a 352? :confused:

Anyway, this has been done to death over and over in numerous threads recently. Januzaj could easily operate in a similar role to which Robben played in the WC. Whether you call that a 9 or 10 I don't know or care.
Ay thats true he could be played in the Robben role possibly though he has nowhere near the same pace. By 9 I mean a striker we're gonna play with two upfront Rvp and Rooney with the latter dropping a bit more probably.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Ay thats true he could be played in the Robben role possibly though he has nowhere near the same pace. By 9 I mean a striker we're gonna play with two upfront Rvp and Rooney with the latter dropping a bit more probably.
Yeah. It would certainly be interesting to see Januzaj there - although he wouldn't be a major goalscorer. Wilson would be a goalscorer, but it'd be good for him to get a loan and get himself a load of goals and make a real case for our first team.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
So we're talking about Pogba here? How has he not 'made it'? He's a starter at Juve and considered the best young CM in the world. Anyone who didn't rate him has been proven completely wrong.

Note I've never made claims about whether we'd actually bring these players through. Because ultimately that's not about the ability of the players, it's about the manager's decisions. Pogba being a case in point. But it's frustrating to be told again and again that these players simply aren't good enough, and be proven right every time. First Pogba, then Januzaj, and now Wilson. And there are more to come after them.
Fair point about them being good enough. But I don't think it's just questioning their talent, I think it's case of fans not getting too hyped up about youngsters because we've seen so many fail to make it at United - and not just Pogba. Fans got just as excited for the Morrisons, Pogbas and Machedas and were ultimately disappointed. I don't watch a lot of youth matches, but if you told me we had the next Messi in the U19s I would struggle to get excited purely because of recent history. I'm not under-rating their abilities, I'm just not believing the hype or getting my hopes up until they give me a reason to.

In Rainbows

That's the problem with the 3-5-2 and no Europe this season. It makes it harder to give game time to both Wilson and Januzaj. Januzaj potentially has one of Mata, Rooney, and RVP in front of him. Wilson has Rooney and RVP in front of him. And that's without bringing Welbeck into the discussion.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Fair point about them being good enough. But I don't think it's just questioning their talent, I think it's case of fans not getting too hyped up about youngsters because we've seen so many fail to make it at United - and not just Pogba. Fans got just as excited for the Morrisons, Pogbas and Machedas and were ultimately disappointed. I don't watch a lot of youth matches, but if you told me we had the next Messi in the U19s I would struggle to get excited purely because of recent history. I'm not under-rating their abilities, I'm just not believing the hype or getting my hopes up until they give me a reason to.
And to make it as this club you can not just be good you have to be exceptional. You have to have the quality to compete against the best in the World. Very few from our academy are going to be able to reach that level. Just look at James Wilson's situation. He has to compete with the likes of Van Persie and Rooney two of the best strikers in the World.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Pogba is even better than we thought. Morrison has the talent, but not the mentality, and for me that can't be over emphasized.

So many have the raw talent. Very few have the drive and determination to made the most of their talent.

Macheda became famous for a single goal, he never showed the sort of form of a top talent over any period of time.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
And to make it as this club you can not just be good you have to be exceptional. You have to have the quality to compete against the best in the World. Very few from our academy are going to be able to reach that level. Just look at James Wilson's situation. He has to compete with the likes of Van Persie and Rooney two of the best strikers in the World.
But I think that's the point. If we're over or under-rating players at United, we're basing our judgement on our own club. If I was to say our academy is shit, that doesn't mean I think they completely useless and have no right to call themselves footballers. It means I believe they have no right to be a United. I don't care if we're producing players good enough for other teams, I only care on producing future United players and I base my judgement of their ability on the likelihood of that happening. I don't think that's unfair.

IwatUwat

With Wilson potentially behind Rooney, RVP, Welbeck for one position, let alone bringing Kagawa, Mata, Januzaj into the equation.

Is he too young for a loan, Southampton for example could do with a striker? He's in position to Rodriquez so maybe not. I think it's harder for teams to place their hopes on a youngster loanee, especially in the prem.

I'd just really like to see him play some games at a good level to see if he can cut it and watch him develop. I'm not sure he'd get any more than 5 appearances for us this season.

Dr Baltar

With Wilson potentially behind Rooney, RVP, Welbeck for one position, let alone bringing Kagawa, Mata, Januzaj into the equation.

Is he too young for a loan, Southampton for example could do with a striker? He's in position to Rodriquez so maybe not. I think it's harder for teams to place their hopes on a youngster loanee, especially in the prem.

I'd just really like to see him play some games at a good level to see if he can cut it and watch him develop. I'm not sure he'd get any more than 5 appearances for us this season.
I think there's still a few teams (Palace, West Brom, Burnley) that he'd get a decent amount of playing time at but more likely it would have to be a top Championship team.
Southampton have Gallagher that played a few times last year. You'd think they'd want to play him instead and the sell him to a big club for loads of money.

khoazany

People said the same about Januzaj last season...

We're playing with 2 strikers so there'll be games for him.It's not like Welbeck,RVP,Kagawa are that injury-free either.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sell Hernandez. Don't think he wants to stay and be a bench option either given his comments recently.

Give the extra game time to Januzaj up front(Along with being 10 back up) and Wilson depending on situation.

If he isn't still getting game time by January then loan him out. Even playing U21 European league if it takes off right now will only help him along with the training regularly with the first team.
We're playing with 2 strikers so there'll be games for him.It's not like Welbeck,RVP,Kagawa are that injury-free either.
Seconded. Maybe he can take part in the Reserves games also.
He should definietely be a part of the first team though. Sacrifice Hernandez.

IwatUwat

It's tricky I just want to see him at a high level. I wouldnt say he would get picked ahead of any of our 4 main strikers. So that's a fair way down the pecking order.

Although I do think LVG will reward things such as 4 goals the other night, and with his rep for development he'll definitely make sure Wilson knows that wasnt unnoticed.

Devil may care

Some crazy expectations being placed on this lad, I think he looks fantastic but give him time. If the choice is to loan him out this season Sunderland would be a good shout as he'd only have Wickham(if he stays) and Altidore as competition.

Juan't Mata

There's no rush with him. Keep hIm as back up give him the benefit of LVG's top class coaching. If he really performs outstandingly for the reserves and LVG feels he's ready he'd have no problem playing him ahead of established stars anyway.

Mickson

Some crazy expectations being placed on this lad, I think he looks fantastic but give him time. If the choice is to loan him out this season Sunderland would be a good shout as he'd only have Wickham(if he stays) and Altidore as competition.
And Fletcher.

Brightonian

Can I ask what people mean when they say 'give him time' on here? We're fans, talking on a forum. If I say 'I expect James Wilson to become a success with the first team within the next few seasons' (for example), it has absolutely no impact on him. Nor am I saying it's a sure thing. It's just my expectation, and I don't see what on earth the response 'give him time' means?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
From what's been mentioned by van Gaal or Manchester United, only Johnston, Carrick, Shaw, Valencia, Welbeck, Evans and Anderson are injured and Rafael is back. Wilson could be on the bench today with both van Persie and Welbeck not being available. Wilson's injury that kept him out of preseason training with the first team earlier in the summer was a broken finger.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
From what's been mentioned by van Gaal or Manchester United, only Johnston, Carrick, Shaw, Valencia, Welbeck, Evans and Anderson are injured and Rafael is back. Wilson could be on the bench today with both van Persie and Welbeck not being available. Wilson's injury that kept him out of preseason training with the first team earlier in the summer was a broken finger.
Apparently, he picked up another injury training with the first team ahead of the Valencia game.

SteveW

I think he'll be involved a lot this season. His pace and finishing ability make him very different from the other strikers we have in the club. He will be a useful option

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He is usually injured for half a season. How about Hull? Have they bought anyone to replace Long?
Looks like Hull might go 1 up top with Ince and Snodgrass as wingers.

We've already turned down an offer from Burnley a month back and he'd likely get a lot of time there with Vokes out injured. They look quite poor though and might not be the best club for Wilson to break through at. Hope he is fit for the MK Dons match anyway.