g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
James Wilson image 19

James Wilson England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Rednotdead

He was 18, leading the line for a team that has been playing below par all season against a team who for the first half were parking the bus. He had 2 chances and took them, I'd call that having a good game. He didn't get to show his range of footballing quality but the game wasn't open enough for him to be able to do that.
Too true. The primary job of a striker is to score goals, everything else is secondary. Making great runs and having a passing accuracy of 100% means nothing if you don't put the ball in the net. He has the natural striker's instinct of being in the right positions to take advantage of anything that falls his way. You can't teach that or coach it into a player, it's instinctive and that's what gives players like him those vital few milliseconds in a crowded box.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Scored 2 goals as an 18 year old debutante and is capable of playing better.

He did his job tonight and hopefully he can keep going and get some more game time next year.

Ash_G

I thought he had a good game and really as good a debut as you could individually want.

Obviously he's got plenty of developing to do but his movement seemed really good, a couple times he picked it up in good areas and turned well and generally held up the ball well.

It was probably an easier debut than others given how hull sat back but he looked good.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Don't necessarily think sending him to a premier league club will be best for him. You have to weigh up the standard of league (which will improve his game) and the relative standard of the team.

If he went on loan to a premier league club its likely to be a small just promoted club (I.e leicester). As a striker with a tan like that I wonder if he'll get frustrated with how little he will probably see of the ball, which won't help his development. He needs confidence and chances to prove his scoring ability. Best chance would be a mid table club I.e newcastle/Soton but that just won't happen. Purgatory best to play for a good championship side where he will have good supply to prove himself

ricky-romeo

hope we'll see him starting next season as our 4th choice striker, would not bet against him climbing the ladder towards the end of the season though.

with van gaal likely coming, van persie is definitely a happy man again and to stay, rooney just signed a new deal and i don't see why van gaal doesn't want a player like rooney is his team. that left us with welbeck and hernandez. welbeck got the advantage of being able to play as a wing forward as well, and hernandez might just not be versatile enough to get enough games under van gaal.

van gaal loves wing forward and maybe he will bring in someone like reus, thus paving the door open for hernandez. that would automatically promotes wilson into the first team. van gaal got a decent record of giving young players opportunities and turn them into top class players, maybe wilson will turn out to be one next.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Noo pls don't sent him out on loan. Has a loan deal ever worked well for our young players recently ? Keane, Lingard, Powell, Henriquez are no closer closer to first team action now as they were when going out on loan. Keep him at Old Trafford.

Hernandez is off by the looks of it. So play this dude in some Cup matches and lesser PL fixtures. There were murmurs of Januzaj joining Blackburn last season but he's better off declining the move. We've seen how much progress the likes of him and Sterling for Liverpool have made just being around the first squad and getting gametime.

FacerTheRed

Wilson looked to be as another Hernandez, typical goal poacher. Always there at the right time and is confident to put it in the net. Other than that still not alot seen much of him though so im not gonna jump the gun but he composed himself well against Hull with a packed Old Trafford so atleast he's got a taste of it now and has 2 goals on his debut. So hope to see more of him and see what else he can do and improve.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
madness to me people have the audacity on here to say his goals "weren't very good". an 18 year old came on for his debut, in the top flight of English football, and put two away. i'm all for tempering excitement, but...my goodness!

note - what about "he did well to get into that position", or his second to acknowledge he strikes the ball into the ground, knowing it'll be saved otherwise?

juuust saying.

but yes, let's keep our hats on here please!
The goals were hardly great strikes though, and really I would expect most players to put them away from those positions. It takes nothing away from the fact that he manage to get in the right place at the time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't condone the idea of a Premier League loan because it'd likely end up with him going to a club who prefer to play their own forward instead and only use him sparignly. We've had too many disappointing loans recently, especially when it comes to forwards, IMO. If we can find a team that will play him week in week out because they don't have anyone better then fine, if it's going to be another Rossi to Newcastle or Henriquez to Wigan then we may as well not bother.

We still have young Henriquez who will compete for a squad place as well. He's gone off the radar at Zaragoza though after a great start from what I see.

footballgirl07

I thought he put in a real good performance last night. Yeah he scored twice on his debut which was great but he also held the ball up well and linked up with the others. Has a bright future ahead.

kevinb

He seems to have that nack of knowing where to be inside the box. Very predatory. In an ideal world, he'd have that Hernandez-like inclination for goals but a better all round game. Here's hoping.
Just what I was thinking. Could this see Hernandez on his way out this summer.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I'm not reading the whole thread back but are people actually debating whether or not that was a good debut? Just when you think the insanity levels around here must surely have peaked..

Bwuk

If Hernandez is off this year then Wilson takes his place as 4th choice striker.

Even if one of Rooney or RvP left I wouldn't want to sign a striker, as we have Wilson, Powell and Januzaj who can all play through the middle also.

MDFC Manager

I'm not reading the whole thread back but are people actually debating whether or not that was a good debut? Just when you think the insanity levels around here must surely have peaked..
Hehe. Someone posting stats to justify that it wasn't a good performance was really the height of if.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I'd love to see him on loan at Everton if Lukaku doesn't stay.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Was a decent debut. Hull really didn't allow us any space in behind. We passed it well, but not enough balls looking to cut through their defence for Wilson to get on the end of. The first goal was quality because it shows good composure. It would be quite easy to sky that. The second was a tap in but good instinct and pace to make it his. He could have switched off thinking Fellaini would score but he didn't. He shouldn't be loaned out. We have cup competitions and various games at Old Trafford that he feature in. Experience outside the club isn't experience inside the club. Why take the risk?

redtilldead123

Wilson + Rooney, potentially a Maradona + Pele style combination.

Surely now with Wilson its just a matter of how many points we win the league by...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
OMG you're so witty. :lol::lol:

Nope

::sonny::

hope we'll see him starting next season as our 4th choice striker, would not bet against him climbing the ladder towards the end of the season though.

with van gaal likely coming, van persie is definitely a happy man again and to stay, rooney just signed a new deal and i don't see why van gaal doesn't want a player like rooney is his team. that left us with welbeck and hernandez. welbeck got the advantage of being able to play as a wing forward as well, and hernandez might just not be versatile enough to get enough games under van gaal.

van gaal loves wing forward and maybe he will bring in someone like reus, thus paving the door open for hernandez. that would automatically promotes wilson into the first team. van gaal got a decent record of giving young players opportunities and turn them into top class players, maybe wilson will turn out to be one next.
This

A1X

In 3 years time potentially?

------------------------DE GEA---------------------

RAFAEL-------SMALLING-----------JONES------SHAW

---------------KROOS-------CARVALHO/POWELL-----

LINGARD/ZAHA----------JANUZAJ----------LAWRENCE

------------------------WILSON---------------------

And then there's the likes of:
Mata
Kagawa
Welbeck
Rooney
Keane's
Pereira
I wouldn't hold up too much hope for Will Keane. Saw him playing for QPR against Brighton a couple of months back. Completely anonymous bar one shot from 20 yards out with time and space. It went for a Brighton throw.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Wilson looked to be as another Hernandez, typical goal poacher. Always there at the right time and is confident to put it in the net. Other than that still not alot seen much of him though so im not gonna jump the gun but he composed himself well against Hull with a packed Old Trafford so atleast he's got a taste of it now and has 2 goals on his debut. So hope to see more of him and see what else he can do and improve.
He's not.

Roux

Its crazy to think that this could have been Will Keane we're all raving about had he not had that horrible injury.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't hold up too much hope for Will Keane. Saw him playing for QPR against Brighton a couple of months back. Completely anonymous bar one shot from 20 yards out with time and space. It went for a Brighton throw.
It was always going to take time to recover. I don't think he'll get anything back to where he was until next season - injuries permitting. I knew the daft sod should have picked the Republic.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Its ao annoying, not here but commentators last night saying this even though they know nothint about him.
I wish commentators would just admit they know nothing about any team's academy, their efforts to make things appear otherwise are nearly always cringe worthy.

Or bring in someone who actually does and get their opinion, they'd probably appear for free just to get on tv.

Watching Hargreaves pretend to know something about our U21 team on the BT broadcast before the semi final was so very, very sad.

Minkaro

His overall game wasn't that great, tbh, but he's young, and will learn. What impressed me about him was his sharpness in the area, the speed with which he reacted to both his chances to score. I don't think he's quite ready to lead the line yet, but I think he could work superbly as a super sub, maybe taking over from Hernandez?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Its a disgrace that a lot of "supporters" dont keep up to date with the young players at the club
People are obviously entitled to follow the club whichever way they like. But it is slightly annoying when people who watch a youngster for the first time speak with ostensible authority on what kind of player we're dealing with, both in terms of style and level of talent, and it happens in the wake of most first team debuts.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So chuffed for him. Imagine what he can do when he's at 100% fitness! :)

Glanville95

In 3 years time potentially?

------------------------DE GEA---------------------

RAFAEL-------SMALLING-----------JONES------SHAW

---------------KROOS-------CARVALHO/POWELL-----

LINGARD/ZAHA----------JANUZAJ----------LAWRENCE

------------------------WILSON---------------------

And then there's the likes of:
Mata
Kagawa
Welbeck
Rooney
Keane's
Pereira
I always find these 'future XI' team predictions silly in all honesty. From your team prediction, we literally won't have one player over 27 in our first eleven and when you look at any club, whether they are an elite one, or lower league, you will seldom find such a young first team. I also don't want to sound like a cynic, but I very much doubt we will have a front four made solely from our academy and add on top of that, we won't sign any players beyond this summer - from your logic - it makes the team very ridiculous.

FacerTheRed

He's not.
Well thats what i saw last night, i dont have the privilege to have MUTV to watch the reserve games so i dont know much of him other than he's done well this season and is abit of skillful player. So like i said, from what i viewed from last nights game he was getting in the right positions and knocking in them balls in the net. So i hope to see more of him in pre season and maybe in next season games against tougher opponents and see what kind of striker he'll turn out to be.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I can't believe it! Our son's playing for United, our lives are about to change forev....whoaaaa, look at that brick wall!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Wilson aged 8

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../who-james-wilson-profile-manchester-7083684?

But his early success nearly ended in ruin, when he fractured his ankle in 2011 during a United youth game.

Battling through his injury, he finally signed professionally for United on his 17th birthday in December 2012 and has played for their under-18s squad.

Describing the tough regime at Carrington, he told the Stoke Sentinel: “If you’re not constantly improving at United they will let you go.”

Earlier this season, he was placed on United’s substitutes bench by David Moyes but did not play in a 4-0 win over Newcastle.

He helped United’s under-21 side reach the Premier League final – where they are due to Chelsea - and has already scored 19 goals.

Last night, he became United’s fourth youngest scorer in the Premier League with the opener in the 31st minute, which was quickly followed by a second. United went on to romp home, with van Persie adding the third, beating the visitors 3-1.

Describing the influenced of United legend Rooney’s attacking style, the teenage player revealed in an interview: “I like Rooney because he plays in the same position as me.

“He has had his ups and downs like everyone, but I think he can be my role model.”

Chris Holt, who coached James at Biddulph Town Strikers, told the M.E.N: "I was James' first manager. His dad Tony was the club secretary.

"We set up the team with James, my son Alan who is a year, older and some other lads. Even back then you could see James was talented. He just took the ball past people and scored.

"Tony used to joke that he never played for a club, so he didn't know where James got it from.

"He was scouted by United when he played for us and they formally signed him for the academy when he was nine."

"As a community we are all so hugely proud of him. Since last night I've had lots of texts and messages from people who are celebrating what he's done."

And describing the James' family, Mr Holt added: "They're a really nice family. No-one would have a bad word to say about them.

"It's been a big commitment for them with James being in the academy. Tony has had to drive him everywhere. We're so pleased it's paid off."

Ekeke

10 months younger than Adnan Januzaj
7 months after Adnan's double on his first start, Wilson gets his own double

Fairly good stuff