2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

HabeasC

It was the Newcastle or Villa game U18 game where he scored 5 goals that he really impressed me. He was devastating in that game. He made a mockery of the defenders.

Found a video.. And it was Newcastle.
Daehli did some really great stuff in that game. It is such a shame that he left.

redevil2

James Wilson’s parents captured the moment (Picture: Twitter/@TurningCruyff)
James Wilson’s mum and dad will have been among the proudest parents in the country tonight after their son netted a brace on his Manchester United debut at Old Trafford.
And they ensured they captured the moment in all its glory – filming a replay of his strikes via a television screen from the stands.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/06/james...ut-brace-from-old-trafford-tv-screen-4720011/

Brightonian

I'm all for Fellaini bashing but come on..He say it was going to Wilson, he didn't really have much need to get up as fast as you're suggesting.
He's right though, he's been conspicuously lazy all season. It's made his incompetence all the harder to swallow. All those times he's lost the ball in midfield over the past couple of months, he throws his hands up as if it's someone else's fault and makes zero effort to get back and make up for his error. Poor form is forgivable, poor attitude is not, not when you're being paid what these guys are.

Red Comet

His movement and ability to make space for himself reminded me of watching Michael Owen newly promoted into the Liverpool first team.

Hopefully he will go on to have a similar impact for us.

ghagua

Just like Januzaj last season, i felt Wilson was good enough to get some games in the first team. Really happy that he took his chances and the occasion did not get the better of him. He would be a perfect backup if one of our strikers were to leave in the summer. If he can avoid injuries, he's going to become a special player for us for a long time.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Missed the game, but great to see the kid given a chance with the first team. Nice to see him get a brace as well, even if both goals were not particularly great.

Other than the goals, how did he actually play? Did people get the impression that he could potentially have an impact next season, or should get a loan move?

Annahnomoss

Missed the game, but great to see the kid given a chance with the first team. Nice to see him get a brace as well, even if both goals were not particularly great.

Other than the goals, how did he actually play? Did people get the impression that he could potentially have an impact next season, or should get a loan move?
Don't want to say anything negative as the kid deserves this day so I will just post statistics and you can make your mind up.

22 touches in 64 minutes which is basically one touch every third minute. 18 passes with 61% accuracy, no through-balls/long-balls/crosses/key passes, Won 0 aerial duels, no interceptions/tackles, no dribbles, never dispossessed(very good thing).

He did get 4 shots off though and 2 of them on target(2 goals).

So all in all, his performance were the goals, remove them and he'd have an okay game but of course any striker scoring 2 goals is having a great game no matter the rest of the performance.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Don't want to say anything negative as the kid deserves this day so I will just post statistics and you can make your mind up.

22 touches in 64 minutes which is basically one touch every third minute. 18 passes with 61% accuracy, no through-balls/long-balls/crosses/key passes, Won 0 aerial duels, no interceptions/tackles, no dribbles, never dispossessed(very good thing).

He did get 4 shots off though and 2 of them on target(2 goals).

So all in all, his performance were the goals, remove them and he'd have an okay game but of course any striker scoring 2 goals is having a great game no matter the rest of the performance.
Thanks, so average performance with a couple of goals. Something for him to build on at least.

Annahnomoss

Thanks, so average performance with a couple of goals. Something for him to build on at least.
Sounds so negative and wrong, but yeah. Showed his talent as a goal-scorer/poacher possibly sounds less harsh.

mo0

madness to me people have the audacity on here to say his goals "weren't very good". an 18 year old came on for his debut, in the top flight of English football, and put two away. i'm all for tempering excitement, but...my goodness!

note - what about "he did well to get into that position", or his second to acknowledge he strikes the ball into the ground, knowing it'll be saved otherwise?

juuust saying.

but yes, let's keep our hats on here please!

XdanielredX

In 3 years time potentially?

------------------------DE GEA---------------------

RAFAEL-------SMALLING-----------JONES------SHAW

---------------KROOS-------CARVALHO/POWELL-----

LINGARD/ZAHA----------JANUZAJ----------LAWRENCE

------------------------WILSON---------------------

And then there's the likes of:
Mata
Kagawa
Welbeck
Rooney
Keane's
Pereira

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

Mata
Kagawa
Welbeck
Rooney
Keane's
Pereira
Might as well put Pearson and Rothwell in midfield if you're gonna go full muppet.

Gannicus

The object of a striker is to score goals. 2 goals scored is a very good night by any measure and 2 goals on your debut is sensational.

forevrared

Mata
Kagawa
Welbeck
Rooney
Keane's
Pereira

Yes, we'll be dropping a 29 year old Juan Mata for Tom Lawrence and one of Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney or Shinji Kagawa for Jesse Lingard or a lad that couldn't get in our team and went on to fail at relegated Cardiff. Christ. I am all about bringing through youngsters, but the likelihood of that being our first choice 11 is about the same as us being relegated by then.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Its a disgrace that a lot of "supporters" dont keep up to date with the young players at the club
I don't know about disgrace but aye I only started watching the reserves over the last 3 years because I didn't know you could before that. If you are aware of it and are able to access it I don't know why you wouldn't be watching it. Absolutely love it myself.

You could see him as Januzaj broke free, "I might get a chance here", has a look around "No defenders, it could happen", has another look "Shit! I'm free lets do this" then he accelerates, as the ball comes in "Goal....don't miss it...actually just make sure I hit the target".

He was drained physically and emotionally by the end of it.
I felt great for Wilson there but so bad for Fellaini. He gets so much stick and I'm sure he is a great guy but his time here has to be taking its toll on him and he must be feeling like shit. A goal would relax him so much.

As for Wilson a great debut. We didn't get to see it today but with space in behind he is so good at getting on the shoulder and using his pace. The way he strides in behind and onto goal reminds me so much of Michael Owen, a big fan of Wilson. One of the commentators was having a go saying he should have scored the first chance he had that got blocked. I agree with Michael Owen though when he said he'll take a missed chance any day. The instinct to get into those positions is untrainable, you're either born with it or you're not. And James Wilson was born with it. He has a great all-around game to like a Van Persie. Big future ahead of him and great to see the emotion in his parents. Great day for the lad, well happy for him.

NoPace

Really good finish on the first goal. Getting power and hitting it into the ground from the height he had to deal with isn't easy. Pretty much all of our players not named Van Persie struggle at it.

He gave the ball away a ton, but then again he's 18. Not sure if he'll go on loan next season. He's got the pace to help certain teams, but probably not ready to lead the line alone, so might have trouble unless he can play in a 4-4-2 where the team sits off a bit and looks to counter. Has to be a Champo team that fits that bill.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You know what.. After the excitement of last night has worn off, I just hope the media doesn't hype him up too much. He's just a kid, fame and money can do awful things to even the best of them. His parents seem like good people so it's now their and the clubs' responsibility to cocoon James and keep him focussed on football. There will be growing pains as he gets used to first team football. But given is record in the youth teams , Wilson can be a star in 3-4 years. So right now it's important for him to keep his head down and concentrate on his progression. Too often we've seen young talents flame out with the burden of unrealistic expectations from the outside. He should be given the Januzaj treatment to keep him out of the spotlight as much as possible. Once he's matured he can do whatever he wants.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Don't think he played that well if I'm honest. He scored two nice goals, but I thought he had a fairly average game aside from that and you had a few better players last night.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Didn't catch the game last night but very pleased to see a youth player get a chance. Even more pleased obviously that he took it with two goals. Very impressive.

Heard about him before this but I must be honest, didn't have a clue if he worth the attention or not. Looks like we have something to keep an eye on here.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Don't think he played that well if I'm honest. He scored two nice goals, but I thought he had a fairly average game aside from that and you had a few better players tonight.
Yeah, but remember it was Wilson's debut match for first team so there must've been some nerves. You should see him for the U-21 teams where he pulls out all the tricks. His linkup play, close control, balance and pace while dribbling are all exceptional. Once he gets used to the level and gets more confident I'm sure he'll show what he's capable of. :)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's 18, of course he won't have a perfect game on his PL debut - few players have. He was good enough to score two goals and the first one wasn't easy at all (second one was a rebound but he still had to find himself in position to score it).

Truth is no one knows where he's going to go from here. We've been through this before and we know well that an 18-year old scoring on his debut might not develop into anything more in the future. He's better positioned to become a useful players for us now with the confidence it's bound to give him than before the game though and let's hope he builds on that. Don't put unnecessary presure on the boy though - he doesn't have to be perfect, he doesn't even have to make it here, just enjoy his football and have a good career.

JackXX

I am slightly surprised some had not heard of him. I don't have mutv but it's fairly easy to have a glance at the youth section to keep up to date on here. Whenever there's a chance to watch the youngsters on sky or whatever I always try to watch like the u21s were on BT the other day.

I think he's had a great debut. He's shown off one of his best attributes which is his finishing (from the small amount of him I have seen). I agree with the idea that him and Junuzaj could bring out the best in each other.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Don't think he played that well if I'm honest. He scored two nice goals, but I thought he had a fairly average game aside from that and you had a few better players last night.
He was 18, leading the line for a team that has been playing below par all season against a team who for the first half were parking the bus. He had 2 chances and took them, I'd call that having a good game. He didn't get to show his range of footballing quality but the game wasn't open enough for him to be able to do that.

Bwuk

Didn't see the game, but people saying he didn't have a good game?

He scored twice on his debut at 18 years old. What more can you ask for?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Which is the most promising part of it - he didn't play anywhere near his top level and didn't get a chance to show his full range of skills but he still managed to influence the result in a big way.

You can't criticise a striker for not playing well when the build-up play, creativity and confidence in the team is so poor. Van Persie has been struggling to do anything besides score goals all season for that very reason.