Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Injured, not going on loan:

The 19-year-old's fight for a first-team place this season has been hampered by injury in recent weeks, and is set to remain with the club despite the interest of several sides

By Graeme Bailey

Manchester United have rejected a number of loan offers for striker James Wilson, Goal understands.

The 19-year-old's fight for a first-team place this season has been hampered by a hamstring injury in recent weeks, but he has been an important part of Louis van Gaal's plans, with the Dutch boss making frequent references to the youngster's pace.

Nevertheless, Van Gaal and his backroom staff have been weighing up the possibility of allowing Wilson to leave the club on loan ahead of Thursday's deadline, and Goal understands more than half a dozen Championship clubs have registered their interest in acquiring his signature.

Derby County, Middlesbrough, Norwich City, Ipswich Town, Nottingham Forest and Watford are all understood to have expressed a desire to sign Wilson, should United allow him to leave, while Bolton also enquired back in December.

But Van Gaal has decided that Wilson is needed for the Premier League run-in, with the club currently fourth in the table following their 2-1 win over Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

Wilson's recent injury struggles are not considered serious by the club, but he has been put on the same muscle-gaining fitness programme as Angel Di Maria.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2015/03/25/10159712/-?

SambaBoy

Surely with Rooney back upfront now, and our formation at the current time, it leaves two "top class" strikers on the bench when RvP returns providing we don't put Rooney back in midfield. Wilson obviously adds something different to Falcao and RvP but I can't imagine LvG putting him on the bench ahead of RvP/Falcao or bringing him on ahead of them.

If Falcao/Rooney were to get injured and Wilson was loaned out then we would only have 1 striker available so maybe that's LvG thinking at the current time. How long is RvP out for?

I feel a loan move would of been better for him this year, he hasn't had a full season of playing competitive football and I feel it may have held him back slightly this year, he has looked nervous at times and hasn't demonstrated his true ability.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Surely with Rooney back upfront now, and our formation at the current time, it leaves two "top class" strikers on the bench when RvP returns providing we don't put Rooney back in midfield. Wilson obviously adds something different to Falcao and RvP but I can't imagine LvG putting him on the bench ahead of RvP/Falcao or bringing him on ahead of them.

If Falcao/Rooney were to get injured and Wilson was loaned out then we would only have 1 striker available so maybe that's LvG thinking at the current time. How long is RvP out for?

I feel a loan move would of been better for him this year, he hasn't had a full season of playing competitive football and I feel it may have held him back slightly this year, he has looked nervous at times and hasn't demonstrated his true ability.
In hindsight yes, maybe we should have loaned him. Perhaps Januzaj as well, as crazy as that would have sounded in August. But we always knew we'd have far fewer matches this year with no CL so a big squad was never going to be entirely necessary.

No question in my mind Wilson will be a quality Premiership player in the future, whether he goes on loan next year or not.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Get rid of Falcao and RVP, Buy 1 more decent striker and then promote Wilson to 3rd choice. We need no more than that in a 4-3-3.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Get rid of Falcao and RVP, Buy 1 more decent striker and then promote Wilson to 3rd choice. We need no more than that in a 4-3-3.
Might as well just keep van Persie for the extra year, and then buy a much better than 'decent' striker the summer after. Wilson's still third choice in that situation.

Next season: Rooney, van Persie, Wilson.
Season after: Very good striker, Rooney, Wilson.

Red_toad

Might as well just keep van Persie for the extra year, and then buy a much better than 'decent' striker the summer after. Wilson's still third choice in that situation.

Next season: Rooney, van Persie, Wilson.
Season after: Very good striker, Rooney, Wilson.
What striker is going to join to be back up to Rooney? I'd not want to pay top dollar for someone willing to be a cover player....

Speak

What striker is going to join to be back up to Rooney? I'd not want to pay top dollar for someone willing to be a cover player....
Not as back up to Rooney. Phase Rooney out. He's our best striker right now, and I like him as a player, but the role of striker has moved on. I guess it would depend on how Rooney did next season.

Last edited:

Sid234

We also have Hernandez, Henriquez and Will Keane returning from loan, one of them might impress LvG in pre-season like Wilson did and get a chance next season

Red_toad

Not as back up to Rooney. Phase Rooney out. He's our best striker right now, and I like him as a player, but the role of striker has moved on.
So phase out Rooney, who I believe has 4 years left on his contract? Sign striker who has only ambitions for the 2018/19 season & pay top dollar for him?
Any striker worth his salt is going to want regular game time.

LVG loves Rooney and he isn't going to phase him out for some time. Whoever joins will be back up to Roo for the next 3 seasons. So as I said why pay top dollar for a finished product who is happy to be benched for extended periods. It matters not how you think the role of a striker has moved on, our main man under LVG will be Rooney, as he is just about ideal for the role.

Speak

So phase out Rooney, who I believe has 4 years left on his contract? Sign striker who has only ambitions for the 2018/19 season & pay top dollar for him?
Any striker worth his salt is going to want regular game time.

LVG loves Rooney and he isn't going to phase him out for some time. Whoever joins will be back up to Roo for the next 3 seasons. So as I said why pay top dollar for a finished product who is happy to be benched for extended periods. It matters not how you think the role of a striker has moved on, our main man under LVG will be Rooney, as he is just about ideal for the role.
Funny you say van Gaal sees him as "ideal" for role. How long has that been the case then? A couple of months (if that)? Before then he apparently wasn't "ideal" for the role.

It's my opinion that we shouldn't sell van Persie (who has one more year) to buy a 'decent' striker ('decent' is someone like Berahino or Ings.)
I think we should keep van Persie, see how it goes with Rooney, and then potentially sign a better than 'decent' striker the summer after.
Get over it.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Funny you say van Gaal sees him as "ideal" for role. How long has that been the case then? A couple of months (if that)? Before then he apparently wasn't "ideal" for the role.

It's my opinion that we shouldn't sell van Persie (who has one more year) to buy a 'decent' striker ('decent' is someone like Berahino or Ings.)
I think we should keep van Persie, see how it goes with Rooney, and then potentially sign a better than 'decent' striker the summer after.
Get over it.
I said I thought Rooney was just about ideal for the role, not what LVG thought about him. I said LVG's loves him & isn't going to phase him out anytime soon.
In the recent successful displays Rooney has played where he is best utilised & it's worked very well. Do you honestly see Van Gaal changing what works?
Anyone who's going to get game time is going to have to be able to displace Rooney & have better characteristics than LVG than sees in Rooney. Have you missed the multiple interviews where he has stated what he sees in Rooney & how highly he rates him? I don't think he'll be looking to replace him during his tenure at Old Trafford. If United buy a striker, I'd guess it'll be a young striker with potential. Or simply make RvP honour his contract, as he wont get a better deal elsewhere.
I'm over it, just questioning your point of view, with valid questions & having a differing opinion. Sure this is a discussion forum....

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
IMO it's not just what he could provide in matches or in case of injuries. Have to think that LVG sees a benefit in having a young, quick, energetic forward around training purposes, especially given that he likes to train for certain situations. Wilson can test our defenders and provide them with challenges that the likes of Rooney, RVP, and Falcao cannot.

Decotron

IMO it's not just what he could provide in matches or in case of injuries. Have to think that LVG sees a benefit in having a young, quick, energetic forward around training purposes, especially given that he likes to train for certain situations. Wilson can test our defenders and provide them with challenges that the likes of Rooney, RVP, and Falcao cannot.
Thats a good point actually.

I really wanted him to see him come on against Liverpool and Sakho in particular.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Not as back up to Rooney. Phase Rooney out. He's our best striker right now, and I like him as a player, but the role of striker has moved on. I guess it would depend on how Rooney did next season.
Phase Rooney out while he is still in his peak years? I don't think that makes much sense.

Drifter

American
According to the Metro .Newcastle as made an enquiry to take him on loan.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Unless we buy, we are better of keeping. I certainly would loan to that shower of shite after not giving Rossi a chance. Let's focus on getting the boy stronger. He's have quite a developmental season and would enjoy playing in this team at the minute with the confidence flowing. That is unlikely at the minute but wouldn't loan him out. He can play wing too (wide forward) so plenty of options.

ChrisG11

There's no point in him going on loan. Training with the first team and adapting to van Gaals philosophy is much more important than a few sub appearances for a Premier League team.

Roman Bellic

Prick
There's no point in him going on loan. Training with the first team and adapting to van Gaals philosophy is much more important than a few sub appearances for a Premier League team.
I agree,although loan deals tend to have a positive impact on some strikers.

Mark_GrumpyLion

Just thinking out loud here. If we would sign Dybala or someone similar and get rid of both RvP and Falcao, That would leave us with Rooney, Dybala* & Chicarito competing for one spot. Rotation and all that ensures they will all get their games. In that case, I would not mind seeing Wilson go on a season loan at a Newcastle or some similar team. More chances for him to play and develop himself, and come back at the end of the season making a strong case to be included the year after.

*or any hotshot striker

Bwuk

Just thinking out loud here. If we would sign Dybala or someone similar and get rid of both RvP and Falcao, That would leave us with Rooney, Dybala* & Chicarito competing for one spot. Rotation and all that ensures they will all get their games. In that case, I would not mind seeing Wilson go on a season loan at a Newcastle or some similar team. More chances for him to play and develop himself, and come back at the end of the season making a strong case to be included the year after.

*or any hotshot striker
Hernandez is gone.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
The last place we should send him is to Newcastle. That club has turned into a complete joke. Plus the last time we loaned them someone, Giuseppe Rossi, didn't they just decide to not play him and when they did it was completely out of position on the left of midfield.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't loan him out either. He's having of those seasons. He could have scored yesterday but got too good a contact on the ball. Let's get him working hard over the summer and let him blossom at the club. I think this season will have been character building for him. He struggled when we struggled and hasn't got into the rhythm of scoring. We should set him a realistic target for next season. I think ten goals isn't something beyond him. When the team is free flowing, it will encourage him more but unfortunately he came into team struggling with the system.