2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

LARulz

Probably a bit late and missed the news, but has he signed a new contract? Wasn't his deal ending this summer?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
It's disappointing he hasn't been given more opportunities ahead of Falcao. Depending what happens in the summer, a loan seems necessary to give him some game time to develop.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
James Wilson may have only made his senior debut a year ago today, but the Manchester United striker is well versed in the art of scoring and knows exactly how to put the ball in the back of the net.

The 19-year-old is, in fact, regarded as one of the most exciting prospects at Old Trafford and looks set to enjoy a bright future under Louis van Gaal.

During a recent interview with Inside United magazine at the Aon Training Complex, Wilson revealed exactly how he became a striker within the Academy and explained his secrets to scoring...

Growing up, did you always play as a striker?
No, I started out as a winger but I think my biggest downfall was probably my fitness. I wasn’t really fit enough to be a winger at one point (laughs)! I think there was a point in the Under-15s or Under-16s when I wasn’t fit enough to be a winger, so they put me up front for a few games and I scored a few goals, so it has all gone on from there. Now, I am probably fit enough to play on the wing, so I have always got that in my locker.

So who can we credit for converting you into a striker?
It was Tommy Martin, or maybe another coach before him, but I think he was the one that told me to go up front. We had a few injuries at the time, when we were younger, and I was the only one there who could play up front. Like I say, I scored a few goals in my first few games and here we are today.

What’s the most important quality needed for scoring a goal?
You can score different goals from different angles and distances. You have just got to be alert for when something drops for you in the box, you have to react quickly in those first few yards to get a shot off, or maybe beat a player and then put it past the keeper, but you have got to be cool when you get your opportunities. You have got to be calm. If you have got something in your mind, don’t change it. Just do what you are planning to do.

So when you are through on goal, how do you decide what to do?
It usually depends on the keeper. If you are quite far away from the box, you can always take it around him. I have got the pace, obviously, to just knock it past him and put it in. It is all based on the keeper. If you have got something in your mind, don’t change it. It is a bit like a penalty, if you are going for one side, then make sure you shoot to that side. If you change your mind, then it can all go pear shaped!

Can you have too much time on the ball in that situation?
You can probably think that you have got too much time on it but, like I say, you just have to relax and stay calm. Obviously don’t milk it and take too much time on the ball because the defender or the keeper will get to you! You just have to relax and take your chance.

In terms of finishing, what is your favourite type of goal to score?
The most I would say that I have scored in the past few years is going round the keeper. It is an easy goal if you go around the keeper in the right way because it is an open net. But there is nothing wrong with a 30-yard screamer into the top corner! As long as it goes in, I’m happy.

Finally, a lot of fans dream of scoring a goal for United. Having done it yourself, could you explain just how it feels?
It is an amazing feeling, especially the second goal that I scored against Hull in front of the Stretford End. It was unbelievable, the sound. I could just hear the fans chanting my name and it just gives you goosebumps – in fact I am getting goosebumps now just talking about it. It’s an amazing feeling.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I hope Wilson figures a lot more next season than he has this season.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
We should send Wilson, Pereira and Januzaj to PSV next year. Then I can have a second club to support.
considering those are three of my favourite players, my allegiance would be very much under threat if this loan-trifecta were to materialise. ;)

It's disappointing he hasn't been given more opportunities ahead of Falcao. Depending what happens in the summer, a loan seems necessary to give him some game time to develop.
disappointing doesn't even begin to describe it. it's borderline asinine... how can a striker still be called upon time after time if he has literally ONE shot on target since january. unforgivable.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
We should send Wilson, Pereira and Januzaj to PSV next year. Then I can have a second club to support.
PSV would gladly take Januzaj and Pereira but I don't think Wilson would have a place. PSV have 2 good strikers in Luuk de Jong (yes the one who failed at Newcastle) who's scored 19 and youth product Jurgen Locadia who got benched this season but is a great poacher.

They do lack wingers though: Narsingh hasn't found his pre-ACL form, Bakkali is leaving on a free, Jozefzoon is out with an ACL injury and they only have 2 youth players in Locadia and Bergwijn who could do a job there. Wilson would be getting a place as winger if he comes.

Sam

Not really why he seems to have slipped back behind Falcao in the pecking order. Earlier in the season he was seemingly favoured (he even started the Liverpool match)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah he's got to get more first team action next year, city have been absolutely terrified of him tonight.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i know it was only u21's, but he's so clearly ahead of falcao in terms of ability at this point, it's not even funny. i'd take his pace any day of the week. terrifies defenders and at the very least opens space for others.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
i know it was only u21's, but he's so clearly ahead of falcao in terms of ability at this point, it's not even funny. i'd take his pace any day of the week. terrifies defenders and at the very least opens space for others.
It is funny and true. :lol: Imagine someone told you last year that Wilson, in terms of ability would be better than Falcao next year :lol:

Devil may care

Really impressed with him tonight, we were relying on his pace on the break, he got in twice, scored on the first occassion with a clever finish and made a goal on the second, looks class.

surf

Really impressed with him tonight, we were relying on his pace on the break, he got in twice, scored on the first occassion with a clever finish and made a goal on the second, looks class.
How would he work with Memphis? Seems like they are both very fast and good goalscorers.

Devil may care

How would he work with Memphis? Seems like they are both very fast and good goalscorers.
If we played a fluid front 3 like Barca do I think they'd work well, but apparently LvG prefers a more rigid version with a big #9, so for Wilson to get games I think he is going to have to learn to play from the right of the front 3 as I don't think from what @NL Max has said he'll get to play as the lone #9 under LvG.

NickSantigo

I don't see how he is not getting any game time ahead of Falcao at the moment. Falcao is gone in the summer and I'd rather see Wilson getting game time. I'd nearly start him ahead of RVP for Sunday too. His pace alone will help stretch Arsenal's defense

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't see how he is not getting any game time ahead of Falcao at the moment. Falcao is gone in the summer and I'd rather see Wilson getting game time. I'd nearly start him ahead of RVP for Sunday too. His pace alone will help stretch Arsenal's defense
RvP probably won't start, I think Rooney's substitution was more precautionary than anything else.

marlowe78

I don't see the point of loaning him, honestly. He immediately gives us speed that we're so badly missing up front. I hope we find more game time for him next season and Falcao is out of his way.

NickSantigo

Yeah I don't see us signing another striker this summer (unless RVP goes too). With European football and the domestic cups there should be enough minutes for him next season at OT

El-Manos

Apparently he can leg press more weight than any other player in the squad. Beat Rooney's record earlier this season. Now he's (presumably) stopped growing he'll fill out a lot.
Haha, that is impressive if true :lol: Great potential this lad, really hope he makes it here.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
SAF in his time would probably define him as good as a new transfer deal.

Not the first time outpacing everyone on the pitch. Van Gaal's new headache in the striker's department.

jb8521

For those repeatedly saying its unbelievable that he hasnt played ahead of Falcao recently he has actually hasnt been available to play (using Van Gaal's rules) since the Spurs match he got an injury against Everton u21s and went off then got a knock against West Ham u21s and returned against Leicester under 21s and then was sick for 2 weeks so he wasnt actually fit and available to play since March

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Didn't he sign a new contract last summer? According to Daily Mail and Transfermarkt his contract is up this summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...o-Didier-Drogba-Arsenal-crock-Abou-Diaby.html
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-wilson/profil/spieler/214104
Fairly sure he did, transfermarkt aren't reliable and dailymail probably got it off there. If it was really expiring this summer the papers would be all over with Pogba shite just like they were with Andreas.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I can't find anyhere (Google search or Twitter search) that he has signed a new contract last stummer.
James Ducker tweeted earlier today that his contract is until next summer but he seems to have deleted so not sure. I've seen other people who are clued up on youth contracts say he isn't expiring this summer though as well. I don't think there is anything to worry about with him.