Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
I doubt he will get enough time to make it with us, but I really hope he does!
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be given time, his finishing and first touch (at times) lets him down but that's something that can easily be worked on I'm sure.

Rossa

He was completely invisible when shifted to the right wing. When playing on the left wing he is so much better. He's actually a fairly good dribbler, but ultimately lacks that little bit extra of top speed to get away from players - I still go back to the days of Giggs where he would dribble past a defender or two and just race away from them with the ball. We had a couple of counter attacks this match, but they slowed down because nobody carries the ball well at speed.

It is so blatantly obvious that we need a right wing, but we don't have a single one in the squad. Valencia never plays there; Mata is at best a wide forward coming in from the right, and Lingard is clearly best from the left or centrally. Selling Nani was such a mistake when no other right winger was brought in. Ridiculous how LVG, the genius, did not see that. It's not Lingard's fault - it's not his position, nor is it Young's.

Shiva87

Very poor today. Couldnt keep the ball, couldnt pass it to another player. Was in a few great positions but messed it up with no thinking. Maybe he'll come good (like Fletch did), but he really doesn't look like a consistent starter for us.

drdoityourself

Is just such a meh player. Works hard, fundamentally sound but there doesn't seem to be anything extra in his game. Still early days but I just can't see it. Him being an automatic starter at United is symbolic to our struggles in attack, not good enough.

FromTheBench

I mean he is decent and at best a future squad player, but still don't understand why Januzaj is out on loan and not ahead of him.

kundalini

Unlucky that his big moment was ruled out for off-side. Keeper might have saved it had Mata not been there. Overall I thought he was ok. On another day he could have scored with one of those deflected/blocked shots.

BlahRules

He could improve. I don't see why anyone thinks his useless. If we play with higher tempo and with more vibrant attacking force I believe he will shine.

WyoManU

Love him for his effort, but he just doesn't seem to have it. SO many chances over so many games and rarely delivers.

facund

Probably his least effective performance so far, nothing awful but little to do him much credit.

Zoo

He needs to to make the difference with his eye for goal because his overall game isn't enough to keep him in the team.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't get the negativity towards him. Sure, he was a little unlucky with the ball on his foot, but he worked like a mad man up front. If anything, I was proud of the lad tonight.

Bwuk

Said it a couple of pages back. Lower prem/high championship level player.

khoazany

Was much more dangerous on the left but he will stay on the right for now unless LVG use Young there.

m1y2

if we up the tempo and play him from the middle he will thrive here but hes getting stick for some of his performances while being one of our best players, he only just started his senior United career.. we need to start from midfield, what can you expect froma team who palys with basti and fellaini in midfield, thats fecking horrible, no flow and control to the game

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Will be playing for norwich or WBA in a couple of years I guarantee it, have our standards dropped so much that we now accept painfully average youth players in the team because they're homegrown.

drdoityourself

if we up the tempo and play him from the middle he will thrive here but hes getting stick for some of his performances while being one of our best players, he only just started his senior United career.. we need to start from midfield, what can you expect froma team who palys with basti and fellaini in midfield, thats fecking horrible, no flow and control to the game
Are you suggesting the way forward is to start Jesse Lingard as our nr.10?

ZDwyr

He just lacks that something to make it really. He's a decent, solid, average player who (like Cleverley) will find a home at a mid-lower Prem team. He just struggles to be effective.

NinjaFletch

He might still make it, but he's not really good enough yet to justify the amount of minutes he's getting.

Robbie Boy

He's done ok since he has come in but he was poor tonight. I honestly think we should be aspiring to better players than Lingard, though. He will get a free ride on here compared to others as he's a youth product and will be massively overrated for any half decent performance. He's very very average at the end of the day.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What about Memphis then? Because Lingard is comfortably a better player than him currently.
Not at all. And Memphis will go to be a far better player.

Lingard is alright. He's going to be a decent squad player at best. The obvious improvement that I can see that he needs to make presently is that he tends to be too gung-ho and overly direct. I mean, there's times he seems to play as if he's Neymar. Charging at players and into blind alleys.

khoazany

He's done ok since he has come in but he was poor tonight. I honestly think we should be aspiring to better players than Lingard, though. He will get a free ride on here compared to others as he's a youth product and will be massively overrated for any half decent performance. He's very very average at the end of the day.
Sorry but that's bs.He has received more stick than others with worse performances.

Robbie Boy

Sorry but that's bs.He has received more stick than others with worse performances.
Not really. Memphis gets absolutely crucified as do plenty of others. Lingard will get a free ride from plenty due being a youth product.

m1y2

Are you suggesting the way forward is to start Jesse Lingard as our nr.10?
hes the best as no10 or perhaps even a bit deeper as the tip of midfield three, LW or RW are only his secondary positions which he played quite well so far

RedStarUnited

Not really. Memphis gets absolutely crucified as do plenty of others. Lingard will get a free ride from plenty due being a youth product.
No, due to ow expectations.

Lingard isnt wearing the famous number 7 shirt, he didnt score a bucket load of goals last season. We basically have no expectations for him really. So everything good he does is a bonus whilst everything bad is treated as 'ah well he isn't a world beater.

A lot more is expected of Memphis.

khoazany

Memphis has much more support on this forum despite doing worse.I think we used both of them wrongly though.It's strange because I've rarely seen Lingard on the right wing at lower levels or on loan but he seems to be used there a lot in the first team.

m1y2

memphis was absolutely crucified because he had some incredible underwhelming performances coming also as a more acomplished guy to the team so it was deserved, lingard didnt have a bad game for us and was shortlisted as the best player of the month and it was also deserved

Ole90+3

I think his lack of end product will be his downfall here.

I like the lad though. His attitude is superb, and really hope he will be a squad player for the foreseeable future.

Robbie Boy

No, due to ow expectations.

Lingard isnt wearing the famous number 7 shirt, he didnt score a bucket load of goals last season. We basically have no expectations for him really. So everything good he does is a bonus whilst everything bad is treated as 'ah well he isn't a world beater.

A lot more is expected of Memphis.
Ok you have agreed with what I said but worded it your own way. Both are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and should be playing to a certain standard. Both were poor tonight but with Lingard it's "ah he was ok nothing special" whereas with Memphis, well, it's a hell of a lot harsher.

Robbie Boy

Memphis has much more support on this forum despite doing worse.I think we used both of them wrongly though.It's strange because I've rarely seen Lingard on the right wing at lower levels or on loan but he seems to be used there a lot in the first team.
What part of the Memphis thread did you read? Anytime I pop in, he's generally being absolutely slated. Don't get me wrong, he has his defenders too but he gets pretty awful stick. His attitude, the way he dresses etc etc, all get dragged up. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's how it is. Lingard, to me is such a painfully average player. Yes, he works hard and is technically ok, but he's just not good enough. If he wasn't a youth product, you can be guaranteed he would be in for far more flack on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.