Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Memphis has much more support on this forum despite doing worse.I think we used both of them wrongly though.It's strange because I've rarely seen Lingard on the right wing at lower levels or on loan but he seems to be used there a lot in the first team.
No chance. Memphis gets much more criticism because of much higher expectations based on his achievements in the Dutch league.

khoazany

What part of the Memphis thread did you read? Anytime I pop in, he's generally being absolutely slated. Don't get me wrong, he has his defenders too but he gets pretty awful stick. His attitude, the way he dresses etc etc, all get dragged up. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's how it is. Lingard, to me is such a painfully average player. Yes, he works hard and is technically ok, but he's just not good enough. If he wasn't a youth product, you can be guaranteed he would be in for far more flack on here.
He's a much more intelligent player than someone like Memphis who is a more naturally gifted footballer on the other hand.Both of them will have roles in the team.I repeat that I don't think we have seen the best of Lingard yet, just like Memphis.

About the Memphis thread, just check after that 20 min encouraging cameo to see the amount of hype he got.I agree that he's been slated unfairly when he did not perform but on rare occasions he did he's been overrated as well.

Robbie Boy

He's a much more intelligent player than someone like Memphis who is a more naturally gifted footballer on the other hands.Both of them will have roles in the team.I repeat that I don't think we have seen the best of Lingard yet, just like Memphis.
Well we definitely haven't seen the best of Memphis, despite the fact that many have written him off already, there surely must be more to come. I'm just not convinced by Lingard but only time will tell.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Well we definitely haven't seen the best of Memphis, despite the fact that many have written him off already, there surely must be more to come. I'm just not convinced by Lingard but only time will tell.
Almost nobody is writing Memphis off. People are loudly voicing their frustrations with him but they're always phrased in a way that suggests it's only a temporary thing and it's just a matter of time before he becomes a world beater. It's exactly the opposite with Lingard. Even when people praise him for a good performance, the wording is overly cautious and there's one inevitable "at the end of the day though... he's a squad player" or something of the sort. I don't prefer one over the other but it's clear that they are treated differently because people want to see them differently. Truth is, they're not far off each other as of right now.

Robbie Boy

Almost nobody is writing Memphis off.
I'm sorry but this is far from the truth. Read through 5/6 pages of his thread and you'll be surprised. I've read on here tonight that he's a "fraud". There is a small minority completely writing him off.

As for the rest of your post, I don't particularly care that they are treated differently. My point is that Lingard will always get a relatively free ride in comparison to others due to being a youth team product.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Lingard is getting a free ride? He is written off after every match, even the ones where he does good and is one of our best players. Half the posts in this thread are about how he is a Championship or lower PL level player no matter how he actually performs. If totally writing off a players career is giving him a free ride then sure Lingard is getting a free ride.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What about Memphis then? Because Lingard is comfortably a better player than him currently.
Better and more consistent at a young age does not mean more potential in any way. Just look at Pereira vs Pearson and the others a few years ago. Pereira only showed his class now and then, but the others were a lot more consistent. They don't have anywhere close to the potential Pereira has. With youngsters, you're looking for those moments of class and what they are capable of doing if they put it all together and did it consistently. Lingard is pretty good with everything, but there's nothing really that jumps out at you and you think that he could be some player. He'll improve of course, and I'm really happy with how he's done since he came in, but I don't think he'll be much more then squad player/upper mid table level if he wants to start and be a key player.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I won't say that he's the new Cleverley, but I will say that he's the new Tom Cleverley... errrrr

Well, I don't see anything great in this lad to be honest. He's quick ok, so does 80% of footballers.

He's good in his crossing ? No
He's good in one vs one ? No

Except from running he's not that great, and I'm sorry but he doesn't have half the potential Martial has. Jesse seems to be a nice boy but LVG is only playing him because we've nobody else to play, and that shows how our squad is weak.

Scholesy said yesterday that the squad is average, but this is true. Arsenal has Sanchez on the wing, Chelsea has Hazard, City has De Bruyne, and we do have Lingard.... It just shows how far we are from a top squad. I can't compare with other teams, but even Everton, Leicester or Spurs have better wingers than us, but we still stick with Lingard, thinking that he will be world class just because he's from our so famous Academy. We hope this romance will be good but it won't !!!

Jesse just doesn't produce enough to be a regular in our team, and relying on an average player like him just shows that. We're really tough with Memphis, but he produces more cross, dribbles and he tries to beat mens (he fails a lot too), but Jesse doesn't.

LVG is just trying to fool us with these kids, playing on our affect (I play the kids from our academy), but he deserves to be criticised because he's rubbish.

We love and then destroyed Cleverley and Welbeck for the same reason. Only good PL players that's all, and Jesse comes from the same environment, and will be an average player.

LVG this idiot should revert to the 4-1-4-1 he used last year with Young and Mata wide that's all matter, and Lingard should only play bit of games or FA Cup games

Treble

Why is he starting ahead of Young? Young was good last season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Because starting Young who is an obvious choice won't make Louis a great genius. Starting unexpected player could.

podurban2

Yes last season, but has been incredibly average this season. Lingard has been a breath of fresh air since starting.

Also, some of the reactions are a bit over the top. First everyone seemed to be pleased we play homegrown players, now, Van Gaal's biggest mistake is playing the likes of Lingard. Fergie played average/squad players too, he even started them in big games. Lingard is not the problem here.

Treble

Yes last season, but has been incredibly average this season. Lingard has been a breath of fresh air since starting.

Also, some of the reactions are a bit over the top. First everyone seemed to be pleased we play homegrown players, now, Van Gaal's biggest mistake is playing the likes of Lingard. Fergie played average/squad players too, he even started them in big games. Lingard is not the problem here.
Only in about 2 games. He's been poor after that.

Robbie Boy

Lingard is getting a free ride? He is written off after every match, even the ones where he does good and is one of our best players. Half the posts in this thread are about how he is a Championship or lower PL level player no matter how he actually performs. If totally writing off a players career is giving him a free ride then sure Lingard is getting a free ride.
Nah most people just plod along saying Lingard has done ok etc. Memphis gets absolutely torn apart as do the likes of Fellaini. Being called a midtable PL player is hardly the same as the abuse that the likes of Menphis gets. The truth is, Lingard doesn't look a top player. As I already stipulated, there are of course mitigating factors why some players will get more stick than others; how much they cost, what's expected of them etc. I feel the likes of Lingard are free to coast along and not get half as much flack as others get.

I mean, he looks a relatively decent player but we badly need an upgrade. I would have no issues keeping him as a squad player for a season or so to see how he fares but I can't get giddy like some do about the fact that he's a youth team player. I'm all for playing youth and it's great when genuine talent comes out of our academy, but I feel LvG is playing certain youngsters in the hope they will come good as opposed to them having any outstanding qualities. If you're happy with players like Lingard staring, then fair enough. I think it's just indicative of how piss poor our attack is.

podurban2

Only in about 2 games. He's been poor after that.
I agree, but he has been arguably better than Young. Not saying he is an ideal player on that right wing, but I don't think the game would have changed much had Young played. Sure, with performances like these Lingard will see the bench again, but I doubt that will really change anything in terms of our results, unfortunately. If a right winger is available in January, we should absolutely go for him, and Lingard will have to prove himself if he ever wants to start for his boyhood club again.

Alfie092

Hope I'm proved wrong but I don't think he is going to make it as a regular starter for us for the next 4-5 seasons at least. I haven't seen anything too great from him as yet that makes you go 'WOW!' like Martial, then again neither has Memphis done much.

I know Fergie said he won't be ready for the first team till he is 22/23 because of his frame but you would think he would at least by the age of 23 be pretty solid in other aspects of this game, like passing or scoring but he isn't. He is quick but not rapidly quick, still too lightweight and makes a lot of wrong decisions.

I will judge him at the end of the season (if he plays regular that is as he needs games to improve) and decide if he is good enough to be a starting player. I hope he makes it because he has United blood running through his veins but if a better player is available in the market then we should go for them as we really are now playing catch up with other major European clubs and we need players who could delivery now. We already have plenty of young players who I believe would provide the backbone for our future but lack quality/world-class players for the present.

The Law of Denis

I think in a few years we will look back and laugh that this guy was playing for us. Even Luke Chadwick played a Champions League semi final.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's a very valid question as to why LVG would start Lingard on the right over Young.
Areas I'd rate Lingard over Young:
-More likely to get carded at a bar

Erm.

Young is as fast, as enthusiastic, has a year playing defensively under his belt, works as hard and also seems a solid bloke.
That ignores the fact Young can beat a man, can cross, can score, can provide assists and is actually really useful on set pieces too.

Thinking about it, other than another card in the 'LVG trusts youth!' hand that is about all Louis has left, I can't think of a single reason.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The only disappointment is that he's not taken the chances that have come his way. He will improve but it's not easy for any kid to come into this team. This is a real transition. Our squad is so young it's almost absurd but in 2-3 years you never know. Jesse is the least of our problems.

Sylar

We tend to do this with all players, I feel sorry for him. We really should be rotating him, Pereira, Januzaj to keep them all fresh, hungry whilst rewarding goals / assists / performances etc. Hes 22 which is nowhere near prime age (Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney types kinda spoilt that for most). He should not be playing every minute of every game or anywhere close to that esp if this is his breakout season.

BTW, we did the same to Januzaj. He was breath of fresh air, then it seemed we relied on him too much, he got frustrated, which frustrated fans, and then he was out of the team. Its mad management imo.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hope I'm proved wrong but I don't think he is going to make it as a regular starter for us for the next 4-5 seasons at least. I haven't seen anything too great from him as yet that makes you go 'WOW!' like Martial, then again neither has Memphis done much.

I know Fergie said he won't be ready for the first team till he is 22/23 because of his frame but you would think he would at least by the age of 23 be pretty solid in other aspects of this game, like passing or scoring but he isn't. He is quick but not rapidly quick, still too lightweight and makes a lot of wrong decisions.

I will judge him at the end of the season (if he plays regular that is as he needs games to improve) and decide if he is good enough to be a starting player. I hope he makes it because he has United blood running through his veins but if a better player is available in the market then we should go for them as we really are now playing catch up with other major European clubs and we need players who could delivery now. We already have plenty of young players who I believe would provide the backbone for our future but lack quality/world-class players for the present.
Lingards movement is much, much better. Young will just hug the touch line for the chance to cross or cut inside to shoot, Lingard often pops up instead between the midfield and defense, you don't get that from Young when he plays wide.

Alfie092

Lingards movement is much, much better. Young will just hug the touch line for the chance to cross or cut inside to shoot, Lingard often pops up instead between the midfield and defense, you don't get that from Young when he plays wide.
I didn't mention anything about Young but I agree with you that Lingards movement is much better than his, it's no fluke that Lingard pops up in very good goalscoring positions, he just needs to take them chances given to him more often, considering we do not create much in a game :(

Maybe I am being harsh, maybe if he was playing in a side which would create a minimum of 8 or 9 chances a game instead of 3 or 4, he would score more and obtain more confidence in front of goal from scoring. ATM I feel since we create so little, the players feel nervous when given a chances because they may feel they won't get another that game, so panic a little in the process.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I didn't mention anything about Young but I agree with you that Lingards movement is much better than his, it's no fluke that Lingard pops up in very good goalscoring positions, he just needs to take them chances given to him more often, considering we do not create much in a game :(

Maybe I am being harsh, maybe if he was playing in a side which would create a minimum of 8 or 9 chances a game instead of 3 or 4, he would score more and obtain more confidence in front of goal from scoring. ATM I feel since we create so little, the players feel nervous when given a chances because they may feel they won't get another that game, so panic a little in the process.
Sorry chap that was meant for @Beachryan

For your post though I do agree with you, he's currently a little wasteful which is odd because composure in front of goal has always been one of Lingards biggest strengths. There's so much pressure on everyone at the club at the moment and for Lingard it's no different.

Alfie092

Sorry chap that was meant for @Beachryan

For your post though I do agree with you, he's currently a little wasteful which is odd because composure in front of goal has always been one of Lingards biggest strengths. There's so much pressure on everyone at the club at the moment and for Lingard it's no different.

I agree, pretty much all our players are not playing with full freedom and it seems fear is creeping into them :(

Therefore it is hard to tell if the players are just not good enough to play for United or is it to do with them being restricted with what they can do and the fear factor of making a mistake, incase you are then dropped by LVG. Unless you are Mr Rooney of course :annoyed:

Name Changed

weso26

I agree completely.

Crashoutcassius

A decent video of his best moments from recent run in the team. Ignoring his age and accepting these re his first steps in football, for me composure is an issue that will be eroded by experience.

Hopefully he can come back in and get more opportunities now

Devil may care

Looked lively and as Walters said he made some good runs, he understands the wide forward role movement-wise better than Martial or Memphis IMO.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Looked lively and as Walters said he made some good runs, he understands the wide forward role movement-wise better than Martial or Memphis IMO.
Memphis made plenty of those runs at the start of the season, in particular against Club Brugge at Old Trafford. You can understand his reluctance to now given that a long pass like the ones made to Lingard tend only to happen when we're really chasing a goal.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
As I always say kids from our academy are so much better than the seniors in terms of off the ball movement

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn't no where near the standard we require. Would he get near the Arsenal City or Chelsea 11? I'm not sure he'd even get stripped. We need better nice little player though and will have an Eagles, Brady type career.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't particularly rate him but he's one of the best options on the wing right now in terms of giving the team movement. Say's a lot about our first team players attacking performances.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Isn't no where near the standard we require. Would he get near the Arsenal City or Chelsea 11? I'm not sure he'd even get stripped. We need better nice little player though and will have an Eagles, Brady type career.
The way chelsea are playing at the moment, they'd take anything.

khoazany

Get him on for the next game.Memphis as well but he's generally terrible whenever he starts a game so might be better to use him as a super sub at the moment.

Roboc7

I don't particularly rate him but he's one of the best options on the wing right now in terms of giving the team movement. Say's a lot about our first team players attacking performances.
He is decent and Could be a useful squad player but he at least tries to take people on and be positive and that makes him stand out in this current side, I would pick over mata at the moment.

Minkaro

I've just remembered that when I went to see United reserves play Shrewsbury in a friendly game, someone whacked the ball into the stands during the warm up and almost hit me in the face (it was only my ninja reflexes that saved me). The culprit pointed and laughed. It was Lingard.

Sell him.

Status
Not open for further replies.