Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

:lol:

Feck, I really need to go rewatch this match. I thought he was "ok". Did very little of note. Other than Martial, they all struggled to create much, if anything.

But clearly I missed quite a bit because he seems to be getting rave reviews
He really wasn't anything special. He was ok.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
A very solid performance. The potential is there for him to develop into a very useful player, albeit with some limitations. Still pleased with what he's shown, and wish he was a half step closer to that chance today. Just imagine what he might offer in the future with continued development and better chance conversion.

Minimalist

:lol:

Feck, I really need to go rewatch this match. I thought he was "ok". Did very little of note. Other than Martial, they all struggled to create much, if anything.

But clearly I missed quite a bit because he seems to be getting rave reviews
Nah you're not alone. He's solid and works his ass off but there isn't much quality on the ball to admire.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Nah you're not alone. He's solid and works his ass off but there isn't much quality on the ball to admire.
lets quote the great Johan Cruyff:
"When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not."

Viral United

I do appreciate him and his work ethic means that he has grown on me. Someone compared him to Park which I think is apt. Park was a great player for us but you wouldn't want him in the most creative position on the pitch.
He is playing no. 10 because non of other no. 10 are playing well.
LVG give him chance and he take it well (at-least he is not terrible yet).
Yes he is like Park and you don't want to play him at most creative position but you also include him in 1st team to make a shift and allow other creative player to play their game.

m1y2

he is one of our best players past three games and still getting stick, incredible, it was even better performance than against city and people call him average, how about first getting rid of players like Rooney and Mata who were underwhelming all season playing at that position? not mentioning that having actual fullbacks who could join attack would massively help our attacking game let alone having an actual right winger. I dont think Rashford was that good either this game and still is 18years of age and Carrick was overrun in the first half so Lingard being the best player on the pitch with Martial and Blind certainly doesn't deserve such stick, pathetic fans

khoazany

Feel like he's only missing a bit on his execution to become a really good player.Hopefully a better manager will refine this side of him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I always do the 'what other teams' test with homegrown players. Because obviously we desperately want them to make it, and so they get it a bit easier imo. What teams would Jesse get a match for? Real/Barca/Bayern/PSG/Arsenal/City would not even consider him on the bench for the position he plays, even less so as a 10. Put another way, Ozil, Silva, Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Robben, Ribery, Thiago, Muller and so on are playing more or less where he plays for our 'competition'.

You can get a long way on effort and not all XI need to be superstars...but number 10 is a crucial position and as useful as Jesse might be, come on.

prateik

He is a good squad player.
Any higher praise, at least right now, would be setting him up to knock him down.

We need players like him in the squad. They are very important.
We also need players better than him to be first choice... and someone he learn from/work with and improve.

Would obviously love if if he could step up and be first choice going forward... But if he doesnt do that, he could still be someone we need.. and rely on.

AR87

I always do the 'what other teams' test with homegrown players. Because obviously we desperately want them to make it, and so they get it a bit easier imo. What teams would Jesse get a match for? Real/Barca/Bayern/PSG/Arsenal/City would not even consider him on the bench for the position he plays, even less so as a 10. Put another way, Ozil, Silva, Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Robben, Ribery, Thiago, Muller and so on are playing more or less where he plays for our 'competition'.

You can get a long way on effort and not all XI need to be superstars...but number 10 is a crucial position and as useful as Jesse might be, come on.
Putting fecking Arsenal and City's squads on par with the other 4 is daft. Lingard would absolutely get a game for either of those teams and even if he didn't who cares? It's not as if those 2 squads are covering themselves in glory this season.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I like him. Some people still haven't gotten over Danny leaving, but now a homegrown local lad comes in, puts in decent performances, and shows a lot of potential, and a lot of people want him to fail.

Shimo

lets quote the great Johan Cruyff:
"When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not."
That's a fantastic quote and also something so many supporters don't care at all about - it's about those 3 minutes and that's the be all end all.

In today's game (against Everton), I was keen to provide Lingard as an example to my son about how people don't really think he is United quality but, look at his effort and determination that helps him make up for where he lacks with the ball at his feet.

This is really his first season of first team football at the club and it doesn't matter what his current age is - given a chance, with the desire within him, he could very well go on to become a lot better player than he his now and he isn't too shabby at the moment either.

Minimalist

That's a fantastic quote and also something so many supporters don't care at all about - it's about those 3 minutes and that's the be all end all.

In today's game (against Everton), I was keen to provide Lingard as an example to my son about how people don't really think he is United quality but, look at his effort and determination that helps him make up for where he lacks with the ball at his feet.

This is really his first season of first team football at the club and it doesn't matter what his current age is - given a chance, with the desire within him, he could very well go on to become a lot better player than he his now and he isn't too shabby at the moment either.
It's a real dumb argument.

There are 100s of players in England (if not more) that can run around a lot, put tackles in and show desire. This is about quality. The no.10 slot is usually a source of creativity and he brings little. He's not awful, I don't think anyone is suggesting that. He simply hasn't shown enough going forward.

The comparison to Welbeck is apt. He was no where near good enough either (despite the silly revisions going on now).

Norris

There are 100s of players in England (if not more) that can run around a lot, put tackles in and show desire. This is about quality. The no.10 slot is usually a source of creativity and he brings little. He's not awful, I don't think anyone is suggesting that. He simply hasn't shown enough going forward.
I dunno if you can say that. That first shot we had at goal from the Martial pile driver, was basically a Lingard pass. I think when he receives it, he mistimes the control, but still had the awareness to lay it on for Martial. He's probably not the most technically skilled (alteast compared to Martial, Memphis, Rashford) and can't make all those cute passes the others make, but I think he's quite positionally aware. I still believe he is much better at RW though, just needs to improve his crossing and needs a RB that is willing to overlap constantly.

wiz4231

He's defensive player playing in an attacking position. At least it's not Fellaini, that's the only positive for me.

Verminator

RW is his least favourite position up front.
It is his first run in the first team, and he has only just started playing in his preferred role. Given time to bed in, I'm sure we will start seeing some of his interplay and snap shots from range, that he has always been capable of.

Lowkey

He's defensive player playing in an attacking position. At least it's not Fellaini, that's the only positive for me.
Not sure if this guy is trolling.

Lingaard seems to be getting some unwarranted criticism. His first breakthrough season in the team and he has performed very well in my opinion after a major injury last year.

With all the youngsters in the team, he is a valuable asset as he would have been in and around them for a while so knows how to play with them and that will give confidence to the kids breaking through.

Welbeckham

He was brilliant. One of our best players this season. He has good football intelligence (which people fail to recognize) and he runs like a machine. He isn't flashy but players like him and Blind are winning us lots of points. They're not quite being what people expect from players on their positions, and thus people fail to see that they run the show by making constant good decisions. Park is not a bad comparison, he has similar impact.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
There you go!

Seems like a Mourinho type of No.10

Seriously though, its hard to put down his attacking contribution in that game considering there was zero movement in front of him and a packed four man defence to get through. His off ball movement was good, his drive from midfield and link up looked decent too. Also, his pressing from the front was very good (Although the lack of pressing from teammates meant it was often in vain).

Shimo

It's a real dumb argument.

The comparison to Welbeck is apt. He was no where near good enough either (despite the silly revisions going on now).
You are right - absolutely dumb argument - at least based on what I said because I implied he was really lacking with ability to contribute in attacking way and all he brought was the effort and determination. However, that's not really what I meant to say. Just meant that right now he gives very good balance in that position because while he may not be an Ozil, Silva or even Mata type player currently, his other qualities help with that balance.

Given that he is just starting to get a few games in that position in the first team, there remains a good possibility that he can develop into an even better attacking player.

caid

I didn't think much of him initially but the more i see him the more i think i might have underestimated him by a lot.
He seems like a really clever player.
Has a good habit of being in the right place at the right time.
You can say 23 but this is his first season having any serious involvement in the first team, so theres room for improvement.
He looks one of the most experienced and consistent players out there, its kind of impressive imo.
Theres a nous or something about him. 5 goals 4 assists is pretty decent too.

Or im wrong and hes a semi decent park replacement

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didn't think much of him initially but the more i see him the more i think i might have underestimated him by a lot.
He seems like a really clever player.
Has a good habit of being in the right place at the right time.
You can say 23 but this is his first season having any serious involvement in the first team, so theres room for improvement.
He looks one of the most experienced and consistent players out there, its kind of impressive imo.
Theres a nous or something about him. 5 goals 4 assists is pretty decent too.

Or im wrong and hes a semi decent park replacement
Simply on pace, movement and running he's a breath of fresh air to our attack.

Remember the days of Falcao, Rooney and VP? In one way, all better players than Rashford and Lingard, but we look a heck of a lot better with these guys alongside Martial.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Simply on pace, movement and running he's a breath of fresh air to our attack.

Remember the days of Falcao, Rooney and VP? In one way, all better players than Rashford and Lingard, but we look a heck of a lot better with these guys alongside Martial.
Makes the sale of Wellbeck even more baffling...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Makes the sale of Wellbeck even more baffling...
He never kicked on though, will always be a nearly man, and didn't want to be a squad player.

I feel Lingard has a chance to be better, and if not may accept squad status.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He never kicked on though, will always be a nearly man, and didn't want to be a squad player.

I feel Lingard has a chance to be better, and if not may accept squad status.
I agree in general, I was more thinking about our lack of pace, especially last season.

Devil may care

He's not creative enough or a big enough goal threat to be a regular starter for us once the team gets sorted out, but he's good cover for the LW/RW/AM roles.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's not creative enough or a big enough goal threat to be a regular starter for us once the team gets sorted out, but he's good cover for the LW/RW/AM roles.
In the style of football we've played, I don't think any forward has particularly smashed it though. Martial has probably been the one, who has succeeded through pure brilliance in himself.
Under Mourinho it could be better, but who knows.

It'd be a super interesting summer wondering how he'd reshape things.

Devil may care

In the style of football we've played, I don't think any forward has particularly smashed it though. Martial has probably been the one, who has succeeded through pure brilliance in himself.
Under Mourinho it could be better, but who knows.

It'd be a super interesting summer wondering how he'd reshape things.
I just don't think a change of manager is going to make Lingard any more talented on the ball, he's neat and tidy and works hard which is a useful asset to have in the squad, but the roles he plays in require a lot more creative quality than he has IMO.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's playing as probably our most advanced player and we've not had much of the ball for 25 mins, hardly a shock he's not been in it much.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Such a nothing player, runs around without any proper intent, avoids tackles and does nothing of note, great to have him in starting 11.

Ryan7

Such a nothing player, runs around without any proper intent, avoids tackles and does nothing of note, great to have him in starting 11.
Yup. Shows how far we've fallen that a player like this plays every game for us.

El Zoido

He doesn't do anything. I don't know why he's first choice, I'd rather have Mata there and Memphis on the right.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Not going to call him out for a poor performance yet but he is the catalyst right now for Spurs' dominance at the end of that half. He's not been able to retain possession or offer support to Martial, Rashford or Mata effectively.

As a 10, he works well hustling and we reaped the rewards of that with his due diligence to pick the balls up that Schneiderlin and Carrick won repeatedly in the first 25. When that hustle stops though, he's not effective and we lose an avenue to retain possession high up the pitch.

Litch

Honest half, works hard and gives 100%. Can't complain cause that's where we are at mo, and in fairness has contributed this season with goals and assists....

Status
Not open for further replies.