5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Mainly been unavailable, not sure about Valencia either tbh. Also Memphis doesn't deserve to be starting ahead of Lingard (or at least didn't)
Like I said before don't think hes been good, but hes been better than Memphis (despite the latter being more talented)

All three were available yesterday, as was Mata and Herrera to play AM. And yet Lingard was still in the side.

Depay deserves to start ahead of Lingard at RW for the sole reason that he's an actual winger and has a future at the club. The kid is never going to adapt if he keeps being frozen out. Even in poor form theres not much difference between him and Lingard. Ditto Januzaj.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
All three were available yesterday, as was Mata and Herrera to play AM. And yet Lingard was still in the side.

Depay deserves to start ahead of Lingard at RW for the sole reason that he's an actual winger and has a future at the club. The kid is never going to adapt if he keeps being frozen out. Even in poor form theres not much difference between him and Lingard. Ditto Januzaj.
Not true, one isn't great (Lingard) and one is a total liability (Memphis) when in poor form.
Despite not being very good he has won us some games this season. I didn't agree with him being play AM and Mata on the right though

EDIT: Its a little like the DiMaria vs Young situation last season

stevoc

Not true, one isn't great (Lingard) and one is a total liability (Memphis) when in poor form.
How exactly is Depay a liability?

When he's been poor he just has your average Lingard performance anonymous.

Cassidy

How exactly is Depay a liability?

When he's been poor he just has your average Lingard performance anonymous.
Constantly giving the ball away and doing stupid things in dangerous areas. Not tracking back, do you remember his performance at the Emirates?
I want him in the team (Memphis) but I can understand why Lingard has had a run, given he, whilst not being great, has been a reliable player who works hard and has contributed to wins this season.

JoaquinJoaquin

Despite not being very good he has won us some games this season. I didn't agree with him being play AM and Mata on the right though

EDIT: Its a little like the DiMaria vs Young situation last season
Won us games? Think that's a bit of a stretch mate. He has contributed in the last 3 games prior to yesterdays horrendous performance, and he was good in the Newcastle game. Certainly hasn't won us any games on his own whereas even Memphis has done that (even if it was Midgetland and Brugge etc.)

Cassidy

Won us games? Think that's a bit of a stretch mate. He has contributed in the last 3 games prior to yesterdays horrendous performance, and he was good in the Newcastle game. Certainly hasn't won us any games on his own whereas even Memphis has done that (even if it was Midgetland and Brugge etc.)
Yeah I was more thinking he scored some important goals in some games we won. Not that he did it on his own.

stevoc

Constantly giving the ball away and doing stupid things in dangerous areas. Not tracking back, do you remember his performance at the Emirates?
I want him in the team (Memphis) but I can understand why Lingard has had a run, given he, whilst not being great, has been a reliable player who works hard and has contributed to wins this season.
Yeah thought thats what you were going to say.

So basically playing like most young talented wingers, yeah he'll certainly iron those problems out of his game sitting on the bench watching.

Cassidy

Yeah thought thats what you were going to say.

So basically playing like most young talented wingers, yeah he'll certainly iron those problems out of his game sitting on the bench watching.
I think he should have played more than he has, but if you read the rest of the post I can understand why Lingard was given a run of games ahead of him. Probably has been long enough now though, I though Memphis should have kept his place after Arsenal but was dropped for some reason.
Although maybe he himself is reluctant to play on the right?

stevoc

I think he should have played more than he has, but if you read the rest of the post I can understand why Lingard was given a run of games ahead of him. Probably has been long enough now though, I though Memphis should have kept his place after Arsenal but was dropped for some reason.
Although maybe he himself is reluctant to play on the right?
I did read the rest mate and yeah you are probably right that's what LVG's thinking has been but i just don't agree with it.

I would always play the more talented player and give him time to develop over someone who whilst he works hard and takes no risks also doesn't actually contribute much creatively. Plus lets be honest here Lingard isn't going to be here long term he's just not good enough, so i would rather have Depay in there risks and all to quicken his adaptation to the Premier League.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He misses way too much sitters and the fact we don't create much in attack, makes it worse.

m1y2

after a poor game he shows that he can be a creative player, could do better in some situations but so far a solid half from him as a RM, he could do so much more from the left though but it's Martial's spot... or just from the middle. Herrera's been a bit meh there tonight but it's very tight there, let's see if Luis makes some changes..

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Great work ethic, but we need a bit more that that as a forward here. We need end product, don't think he is polished enough for that unfortunately.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maybe I'm imagining this but before he came into the team, everyone one here seemed to be crying out for him to be played. Ever since he's been in the team, they've been crying out for him to be dropped!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's the latest in a long line of caf scapegoats who get slaughtered for every perceived mistake no matter how trivial or in fact they even did anything wrong, but every good thing is overlooked.

The match thread is ridiculous.

Robbie Boy

He's the latest in a long line of caf scapegoats who get slaughtered for every perceived mistake no matter how trivial or in fact they even did anything wrong, but every good thing is overlooked.

The match thread is ridiculous.
Nope, that's utter rubbish. Fellaini, Carrick, Mata, Rojo etc get berated just as much.

Robbie Boy

What does that have to do with what I said?

Like, at all, in any way?
Eh like he's hardly a scapegoat like. Like, you know, you insinuated. A scapegoat isn't a player that actually deserves criticism for poor performances, which Lingard has had plenty of, like.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Eh like he's hardly a scapegoat like. Like, you know, you insinuated. A scapegoat isn't a player that actually deserves criticism for poor performances, which Lingard has had plenty of, like.
He's pilloried and blamed for things even when he's not at fault. What does it happening to other players have to do with it?

What I'm talking about is summed up by the fact that he just created that second goal and didn't get a single mention in the match thread and yet earlier he almost chased down a loose ball and got criticised for being too far away to start with.

hobbers

The quality of Martial and Rashford is in some ways making it even harder for him because the gulf is quality between them is enormous.

Still the first player I would pick out as replacing to immediately improve the team, along with Blind.

Robbie Boy

He's pilloried and blamed for things even when he's not at fault. What does it happening to other players have to do with it?

What I'm talking about is summed up by the fact that he just created that second goal and didn't get a single mention in the match thread and yet earlier he almost chased down a loose ball and got criticised for being too far away to start with.
Well he's been praised to the hilt in this thread at times. In fact, he's had plenty of games which I would say were very average, and people run in here calling him 'superb' etc, which I find completely OTT.

He's actually done well tonight as I previously mentioned. I felt he's been a-bit wank recently and had become fond of giving the ball away or picking the wrong option. I've enjoyed watching him tonight, though.

Don't see how the word 'scapegoat' can be attributed to him. I mean, a scapegoat is someone who gets blamed no matter what; usually a player who has become a hate figure amongst fans. I wouldn't imagine anyone has an agenda against Lingard. He's been called out on poor performances and rightly so; so have many others. He's also been praised quite a bit at times and rightly so.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don't see how the word 'scapegoat' can be attributed to him. I mean, a scapegoat is someone who gets blamed no matter what; usually a player who has become a hate figure amongst fans. I wouldn't imagine anyone has an agenda against Lingard. He's been called out on poor performances and rightly so; so have many others. He's also been praised quite a bit at times and rightly so.
Have you been reading the match thread?

If he misplaces a pass there's a stream of posts going ape shit at him. Then he has a very good effort that goes just wide and it's literally not mentioned once, then he creates the second goal and again it doesn't get a single mention.

I'm not exaggerating, it's ridiculous and pathetic.

Robbie Boy

Have you been reading the match thread?

If he misplaces a pass there's a stream of posts going ape shit at him. Then he has a very good effort that goes just wide and it's literally not mentioned once, then he creates the second goal and again it doesn't get a single mention.

I'm not exaggerating, it's ridiculous and pathetic.
I tend to stay away from the match day threads. They're usually full of reactionary and hyperbolic comments. I usually just pop in now and again like I have tonight and I didn't notice any Lingard comments when I was reading.

If he's been criticised tonight then that's a bit odd. I'm not his biggest fan in the world but I think he's been good. He did miss a good chance in the first half but to be fair, it was a good save from Randolph.

caid

If he could learn to be a bit more clinical with the chances that come his way he'd be a pretty great player imo.
He can pick a pass and takes up good positions. Hardworking, quick. He has a lot of good qualities.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's still got plenty to work on but he gets in very good positions. Hopefully next season, he can make more of his chances.

The White Pele

Love his positivity. Also has very good game management for a relatively young player, aside from that silly free kick at the end.

mu4c_20le

Made some very good runs tonight. As usual he seemed limited by his own ability but I think he'll keep improving.

m1y2

MOTM for me, it was between him and DDG with an outside chance for Tim but he was flying in the second half and I was entertained by our attacking football so I think it's deserved. Finally he didn't stick to the right flank and dropped deeper and centrally, he acted like a playmaker at times and that's what I always loved about the youth teams, the fluidity, shame that Van Gaal doesn't allow our players to express more, Lingard is the one who would thrive, let's see if he can push himself to the first team next season or stays as a useful squad player..

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
MOTM for me, it was between him and DDG with an outside chance for Tim but he was flying in the second half and I was entertained by our attacking football so I think it's deserved. Finally he didn't stick to the right flank and dropped deeper and centrally, he acted like a playmaker at times and that's what I always loved about the youth teams, the fluidity, shame that Van Gaal doesn't allow our players to express more, Lingard is the one who would thrive, let's see if he can push himself to the first team next season or stays as a useful squad player..
Here we go with your weird love in of Lingard

Devil may care

End product needs sharpening but he had a good game linking up with Martial and Rashford as well as dropping in to help the midfield out, forming almost a 3 man shield with Fellaini and Herrera in front of Carrick at times.

m1y2

Here we go with your weird love in of Lingard
praises get to the goalscorer and keeper who both did great but Lingard was catalyst and key to our counterattacking game today that is what I appreciate

AR87

It's funny because even the people that support him and want him in the squad, a group that I include myself in, would say that we need to replace him the starting XI. It's the people that slag him off like complete shite and act as if Januzaj or Depay have actually provided more in whatever time they've had this season that are way over the top.

He's a squad player and a useful one. Doesn't need to be much of a debate after every match about this and the fact he's starting has more to do with the inadequacies of our other attacking options be that LVG or Woodward's fault.

Classical Mechanic

Lingard's problem IMO is that he becomes ineffective when we play compact teams that press him. He was decent tonight but not good enough in the long run in that position. He just lacks the finesse and quality for it.

Walters_19_MuFc

He was super today. Played on the right wing, he and Martial were constantly finding pockets of space, which allowed them to run at the West Ham defence. Really good today.

Status
Not open for further replies.