5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

He looked really tired in the second half and his decision making suffered because of that. I was wondering why he couldn't come off earlier for Pereira.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't like criticising our players but Lingard drives me nuts, he gets in good positions but never takes a chance, rarely runs past players, rarely crosses well, occasionally pops up in scoring positions. Just seems so weak and dare I say it a coward.
The right side attacking position is the most important to sort out this summer. Lingard is not good enough to be a starter

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Piss poor. Can't beat a man to save his life and his decision making is questionable at best. Thankfully it didn't cost us tonight.

walkinhop

He has more pace and is more dynamic at both ends than Pereira can be out wide tbf.
Then why haven't i seen it so far? He reminds of a weaker, slower Valencia. Yes, he does pop the odd goal here and there but his overall contribution is really not impressive. The few times he tries to run past a defender he complains for a foul or just loses it altogether. I don't know but he just doesn't seem dangerous to me.

FromTheBench

Then why haven't i seen it so far? He reminds of a weaker, slower Valencia. Yes, he does pop the odd goal here and there but his overall contribution is really not impressive. The few times he tries to run past a defender he complains for a foul or just loses it altogether. I don't know but he just doesn't seem dangerous to me.
I agree somewhat with what you are saying but he keeps width and carries ball forward stretching play. Pereira will have to come in centrally to be effective or just cross.

Raw

Just don't see it with this guy. Think I said it before but at best all I can see him be is a squad player. Really can't wait to get a proper right winger there, it'll be so much help.

Varela was doing more work as a forward than Lingard was today!

walkinhop

I agree somewhat with what you are saying but he keeps width and carries ball forward stretching play. Pereira will have to come in centrally to be effective or just cross.
He does keep width but to what end? I would really try Pereira for a few games as coming centrally might result in one-twos or switching of play to the left. With Varela showing some good sign, an overlap with a more central Pereira could also unlock defenses, not to mention the possible passes between the oppo RB and the central defender.

Sylar

He looked really tired in the second half and his decision making suffered because of that. I was wondering why he couldn't come off earlier for Pereira.
was my thoughts on this, this happened to Memphis earlier in the season. Where he looked knackered but was just kept on bizarrely despite having a replacement on the bench (and not using that sub until there was like 2 minutes left of the game).

Today wasnt a good game from him but saying that, he should have had a penalty. Just think at times, he needs to stop trying to do stuff thats not his game. I think hes more suited to the pass and move rather than trying to beat a man like Memphis.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just don't see it with this guy. Think I said it before but at best all I can see him be is a squad player. Really can't wait to get a proper right winger there, it'll be so much help.

Varela was doing more work as a forward than Lingard was today!
He is a squad player. Right now we don't have any players in our squad!

It's just that onight Lingard was about the 5th or 6th most experienced player for us!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I still don't see it with Lingard. The best I can say about him is that he will nick the ball off the opponent at times during the game and has shown he can score goals. But his all round 90 minute performances are imo poor. He's at best an impact sub when we need some energy and a bit of goal threat. Tries hard though which is why I hate being so negative about the fella.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Really hope he's dropped for Sunday. Easily the least effective player on the pitch today, and appears to have taken diving lessons from Adnan.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Just playing out of position. Not a great game but did take a knock last game. Hopefully his performances will pick up but we might need to be patient with him. A spell on the bench might do him some good

predator

Youth NITK
Agree with the majority of posters albeit a bit harsh from some. He is a good player who reads the game well but his presence is rather weak and he occasionally is sounded out by defenders.

I'm glad he's getting games for us because I wish him all the best but I can't see him staying at United for the forsee able future.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
was awful in the second half....i blame the fans, morons are in half boo mode the minute he gets the ball because he is keeping it simple and its only normal that young player reacts on it and tries more. He then starts running at people and he is a very poor dribbler, normally he lost almost every ball. Someone should talk to him and ensure he stays loyal to his game no matter what.

Brightonian

The good parts of his game are very underappreciated. Sure he was trying a bit hard in the second half and lost the ball more than necessary. But if you watch the game back it's hard to find a passing move he wasn't involved in - if you want high-tempo passing, you need players like him who have that knack of getting available for a pass and always knowing who they're going to move it on to so it only takes one touch. And he must have won the ball back more than anyone, it was Welbeck-level harrying from the front.

I'm not claiming he's some superstar or anything, but his performance today is getting harsh reviews. You don't get performances like Memphis's today without performances like Lingard's alongside him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
The good parts of his game are very underappreciated. Sure he was trying a bit hard in the second half and lost the ball more than necessary. But if you watch the game back it's hard to find a passing move he wasn't involved in - if you want high-tempo passing, you need players like him who have that knack of getting available for a pass and always knowing who they're going to move it on to so it only takes one touch. And he must have won the ball back more than anyone, it was Welbeck-level harrying from the front.

I'm not claiming he's some superstar or anything, but his performance today is getting harsh reviews. You don't get performances like Memphis's today without performances like Lingard's alongside him.

im a big fan of Jesse, in fact he is one of my favorite players and i agree with you in general but in the second half he was pretty bad. Decent first half, awful in the second until the dive and then again decent for a short spell before the sub. Missed the game live so i watch it after, and was focused mainly on Depay, Rash and Jesse as i heard Depay was amazing, Jesse was poor and was curios how did Rash do.

Brightonian

im a big fan of Jesse, in fact he is one of my favorite players and i agree with you in general but in the second half he was pretty bad. Decent first half, awful in the second until the dive and then again decent for a short spell before the sub. Missed the game live so i watch it after, and was focused mainly on Depay, Rash and Jesse as i heard Depay was amazing, Jesse was poor and was curios how did Rash do.
I agree he was worse in the second half, but awful is very harsh.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Saw a couple of replays and I don't think it was a dive. From some angles it looks like a dive, but there are other angles that show it's a penalty. Hansen caught the tip of Lingard's foot with his tackle.

Brightonian

Saw a couple of replays and I don't think it was a dive. From some angles it looks like a dive, but there are another angles that show it's a penalty. He overreacted with his fall, but Hansen caught the tip of his foot with his tackle.
Yep, I was surprised that the commentators agreed with the ref, looked like a small but clear contact to me. You can see Hansen's foot juddering from the contact between his boot and Jesse's.

suheilsworld

He can have an off day. Been one of our consistent performers. Hope he nicks his customary goal when we need it against Arse this weekend.

pseudo_canadian

Pretty gash today, probably his worst performance us.

He's been decent for us this season, but I don't think he's even close to being good enough. Would do well at a mid/lower level Prem side.

Devil may care

Just playing out of position. Not a great game but did take a knock last game. Hopefully his performances will pick up but we might need to be patient with him. A spell on the bench might do him some good
He's played on the right nearly the whole time that he's been in the first team though.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Disappointed showing last night. I really thought he would use the game as a platform for regaining a bit of form. Instead he made even worse decisions than usual, kept running into blind alleys and generally impeded our attacks whenever he got on the ball. For someone with a higher than average strike rate for a wide player, he really is frustratingly lacking in basic attack attributes. His dribbling is poor, crossing non existent and decision making inconsistent. The fact that he's made the right wing his own really speaks volumes of our troubles at the moment.

NoPace

He has a good head and I think he's a better finisher than he's shown, but he'll never make it here as a winger. No explosiveness or threat either going up the line or cutting in. Memphis or even Martial will be the answer at LW.

We need a genuine threat at RW. Someone who can torture a fullback and score goals. Memphis-Martial-RW has incredible potential if we can sign a current or future star there.

Redguern

Really think that Jesse's contribution to our defensive solidity on the right is overlooked and none more so than last night.

He put a good shift in, nicked possession from them on more than one occasion and had our highest pass completion (95%) according to the UEFA stats. He still seems to get muscled off the ball too easily at times and ends up being unfairly on the wrong end of free kick decisions, perhaps due to a slight lack of strength/size.

He is a great squad option though and I hope he is at United for a while, even if his best position may be as back up to a Robben or some other top player Ed has on his shopping list!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A nothing player.
I agree. There is nothing that he does that stands out and as a winger, he does a bad job as he's not creating, nor dribbling, nor opening up space or anything else. Whenever he has the ball, he rather runs inside and get's in other people's way. Yesterday was his chance to torment the right flank but he did nothing - like in most cases. You really do wonder how poor we've become if players like Lingard are starting.

JoaquinJoaquin

was awful in the second half....i blame the fans, morons are in half boo mode the minute he gets the ball because he is keeping it simple and its only normal that young player reacts on it and tries more. He then starts running at people and he is a very poor dribbler, normally he lost almost every ball. Someone should talk to him and ensure he stays loyal to his game no matter what.
You blame the fans for the fact he cannot beat a man, Cross a ball or do much else?

Robbie Boy

Really think that Jesse's contribution to our defensive solidity on the right is overlooked and none more so than last night.

He put a good shift in, nicked possession from them on more than one occasion and had our highest pass completion (95%) according to the UEFA stats.
I think this is clutching at straws, personally. Yes, him and Varela marked Sisto well and Lingard put in his usual energetic shift. But let’s be honest, we completely and utterly dominated the game against very weak opposition. It's not as if he done a marking job on Neymar. Lingard is in the team to be utilised as an attacking outlet and against weak opposition like we faced last night, he should really have shown far more in an attacking sense. He was absolutely woeful in the final third and failed to take people on, as-well as constantly picking the wrong option. He was by far our worst attacking player on the pitch. Look at Depay, he took full advantage of how weak the opposition were and tore them to shreds. Lingard, who is a year older, failed to show any attacking endeavour whatsoever.

I'm all for praising attacking players who put in a good defensive shift against top teams, ala the job Park done on Pirlo, for example. But praising Lingard last night for his defensive contribution is really clutching at straws. I was extremely disappointed at how poor Lingard was in the final third last night and he didn't even manage to nick a goal to mask another inept attacking display. Look, I don't really rate this lad at all. At best, I think he could be a decent squad option for us. With a new manager and a more functional team, he could be a useful squad player but I think we should be aiming so much higher than Lingard. He has looked ok recently and last night was a chance for him to really shine and put their fullback to the sword and he failed badly.

SSSSnake

Had a crap game even i admit and i'm his number one fan. Still happy with his work ethic last night.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Not sure if its been mentioned but he reminds me of Ji-Sung Park. Doesn't quite have the good short passing and dribbling (and of course the stamina) as Park but I mean in the sense he finds himself in great positions through clever movement and has an eye for goal. I echo what most are saying though, can only see him making it as a squad player.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's not really an out and out winger. The way he was asked to play yesterday (i.e trying to repeatedly beat his man) doesn't suit him one so I'm not surprised he looked a bit shit.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't really get it. Half the people laying into him keep saying he can be a good squad player. Why are you laying into him then? Not his fault he's starting every game and he's still very inexperienced. He'll get more confident going forward the older he gets if the dickheads (Nani's boo boys) don't get on his back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he has to realize his limitations and make the most keeping that in mind.

People often say he's a nothing player, but for me, he's at his worst when he overrates his ability and starts playing as if he's Arjen Robben taking on his fullback with ambition but without the ability. He seems to be a hard working, good-at-tracking back, intelligent and tidy footballer, with a knack of popping up with goals. He should stick to those aspects of his repertoire rather than constantly trying to be our "wing wizard".

I personally think Januzaj (and maybe Periera) should be prioritized over him, and comfortably at that, but if he's getting chances I hope he does well and importantly, works out the player he is and the best he can be at being that sort of player.

Robbie Boy

I think he has to realize his limitations and make the most keeping that in mind.

People often say he's a nothing player, but for me, he's at his worst when he overrates his ability and starts playing as if he's Arjen Robben taking on his fullback with ambition but without the ability. He seems to be a hard working, good-at-tracking back, intelligent and tidy footballer, with a knack of popping up with goals. He should stick to those aspects of his repertoire rather than constantly trying to be our "wing wizard".

I personally think Januzaj (and maybe Periera) should be prioritized over him, and comfortably at that, but if he's getting chances I hope he does well and importantly, works out the player he is and the best he can be at being that sort of player.
I think the main problem is that he simply isn't a winger. I don't follow our youth teams so I have no idea where he played at that level. But I feel that he would maybe be more suited to a number 10 role as opposed to a role out on the wings. I think he's a limited player, as you have pointed out and maybe a number 10 role would suit his attributes better. He looked a complete mess out on the wing against second rate opposition last night, he consistently failed to beat his man and his decision making was shocking. People keep saying he's quick but I'm yet to see it; maybe being 'quick' these days equates to not being as slow as Mata, I dunno.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think the main problem is that he simply isn't a winger. I don't follow our youth teams so I have no idea where he played at that level. But I feel that he would maybe be more suited to a number 10 role as opposed to a role out on the wings. I think he's a limited player, as you have pointed out and maybe a number 10 role would suit his attributes better. He looked a complete mess out on the wing against second rate opposition last night, he consistently failed to beat his man and his decision making was shocking. People keep saying he's quick but I'm yet to see it; maybe being 'quick' these days equates to not being as slow as Mata, I dunno.
Thing is, the line has blurred now between wingers and AMs. Most attacking midfielders these days are number 10s of sorts. And most teams play with them out wide. Mata, Silva, De Bruyne and Ozil all play out wide a lot of the time. So him playing out wide fits in well with the times, and the systems these days, for me. But when a 10 does play that he needs to then play like a 10 should rather than emulate Ronaldo, Bale or Robben. If Ozil or Silva suddenly start trying to beat a man for pace consistently like Valencia (earlier) or Bale would, it would make absolutely no sense. Same with Lingard, he's better off playing like Park would, rather than try to hard to be a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.