La Liga 2017/18

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I do not understand the signings of Sevilla. I am not much of the opinion of bringing old glories, but let´s see.
Most of them are quite resonable despite being a bit light in some areas. The most important transfer was keeping N'Zonzi.
Banega for Nasri
Muriel for Jovetic
Pizarro for Kranevitter/Iborra (if one considers Iborra a DM/CM)
Kjaer for Rami
Corchia (Navas?) for Mariano
Nolito + Navas for Vitolo.

Arias said, that he is only trying to sign another LB backup, but there are strong rumors that he is also negotiating with Milan about Bacca, who wants to return. That said I only see this happening, if they reduce the fee significantly (atm they want 15m and he is on a high wage). All things considered I am not a big fan.

Banega is an upgrade on Nasri and Pizarro is a quality alternative for DM/CM. There are few affordable wingers, so getting Nolito+Navas for fairly little money while also trusting Correa, Sarabia and Montoya is imo very good business. I liked Mariano and don't really understand why we sold him for 4m, but Corchia should be able to replace him like for like. The two transfers that I am unsure about are Kjaer and Muriel. I don't know much about these two, so hopefully they are positive surprises. I am not a fan of spending 12m on Kjaer, but can he really be any worse than Rami? Additionally hearing, that he was really good in the turkish league gives me at least some hope that this is going to work out. Muriel is imo a huge gamble. 20m is a lot of money (@Skorenzy you are correct, that this is the record signing; #2 is Negredo and #3 Mudo vazquez #4 Kjaer and #5 Arouna Kone) and we need a forward that can score goals. Ben Yedder looks like he is improving under Berizzo, but he alone won't be enough.

Where I really see some problems is in midfield. N'Zonzi, Banega and Vazquez are imo a quality trio, but with Pizarro and an aging Krohn-Dehli we have very little options. If one of the three starters is getting injured for a longer period of time, we are in serious trouble. Ganso is just a waste of space. I can run faster than this guy. Montoya can play there but I am unsure about him. I would have loved to see another player for the CM. Wass would have been imo a great transfer, but that didn't happen.
---------------------------------------

Atletico only signed Vitolo (he'll join them in winter), but Vietto and Kranevitter are coming back. They already solid Oliver Torres (I am still a huge fan), Cerci and Theo, while Tiago ended his career. I don't think that Vietto will flourish despite some good performances in pre-season. Maybe I am wrong, but he lost all his magic. Rumors are, that he is going to leave if anyone is willing to make a resonable offer. Kranevitter is probably also leaving (Zenit). Borre and Amath are probably also on their way out.

Thomas could be their "new-comer of the season". With Tiago retiring, Simeone seems to trust him. He has the potential to become one of the players of the season. He should partner Gabi (I am a huge Augusto fan, but Thomas is their future in CM). Gaitan played a good pre-season and is getting another chance, but I doubt that he is having a big impact. Keidi from their cantera might get a couple of minutes, if needed. He scored a goal against Liverpool. Usually he'll play for the cantera so.

Overall they have a few players who could step up (Thomas, Gameiro, Correa, Vrsaljko), but Simeone somewhat struggled to refresh the midfield in recent years. Doing that will be key for the success of the team.

----------------

Villarreal got R Semedo, Enes Unal and Pablo Fornales as their top signings. Pablo Fornales for 12m is imo very good business. They lost Mussaccio and dos Santos. They are still a solid team.

----

Valencia is cleaning up their squad and there are imo promising signs under Marcelino. I think he'll finally be able to steady the ship. Ryan, Perez and Negredo (top earner?), Piatti (was already on a loan), Alves and Bakkali are out. Perez, Negredo and Alves were all on huge wages.
Other players (Cancelo, Abdennour, orellana, Vezo, Nani, Araujo, Rodrigo) might also be on their way out, if anyone is willing to make reasonable offers. We'll have to wait. Only Cancelo would fetch a high fee, but Valencia has to get rid of all the dead-wood.
Murillo is on his way in. If Marcano comes as well, Garay will be sold. They also look for another quality CM (Kondogbia or Krychowiak might be options).
They have 2-3 good talents from their second team who could play minutes. Overall key is to change the attitude of the team. They had too many bad-apples with questionable character. Nobody played for the shirt. I think they are on a good way to change that, but its too early to tell. Not sure if making Parejo the captain is a smart idea....

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Pedro, is el mudo Vázquez staying. He has been a bit disappointing.
My problem is mainly with the signings of Jesús Navas and Nolito. Navas was very good, but he's on his way to 32 and he earns a lot of money.
Comes to the head the case of Joaquín at Betis, who leaves for money and comes back much older, more than anything to tell jokes and pretend to be the leader of the team.
And Nolito ... yes, he is very good, but he also earns a lot, probably more than Navas, and he will be 31 soon.
I thought that after Monchi they would continue finding good talents instead of bringing veterans.
I think Atlético have to sign a real good midfielder. Gabi has been very poor lately.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
My problem is mainly with the signings of Jesús Navas and Nolito. Navas was very good, but he's on his way to 32 and he earns a lot of money.
Comes to the head the case of Joaquín at Betis, who leaves for money and comes back much older, more than anything to tell jokes and pretend to be the leader of the team.
And Nolito ... yes, he is very good, but he also earns a lot, probably more than Navas, and he will be 31 soon.
I thought that after Monchi they would continue finding good talents instead of bringing veterans.
I think Atlético have to sign a real good midfielder. Gabi has been very poor lately.
he is staying. I am also not his biggest fan, but I think he'd complement N'Zonzi and Banega very well. Good off-the-ball, good workrate and being able to do everything a little bit, with Banega pulling the strings and N'Zonzi being the defensive anchor. Hopefully he can score some goals this season.
I understand your reservations about Nolito and Navas, but what would be the alternatives? If Nolito comes anywhere close to his former best, he'll be a steal. Berizzo knows him very well. Navas is a decent squad player, that can fill many roles. We lost many leaders during the last 2 years (Vitolo, Iborra and to some extend Rami this year, while half of the squad left one year previously). Thats also one of the reasons why Carrico's contract was renewed. A team needs some hierarchy and hopefully Navas can play a valuable role in this regard. Additionally, I really don't like Mercado as right back, so maybe he could help out there.

Atletico still have their transfer ban so their options are imo limited.

Inter Yer Nan

Based on pre-season? I haven't seen any of the pre-season, but thought was very good last season especially the second half of the season. I think he had a better, more consistent season than Koke and Saul.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Not only that, Madrid's transfer strategy has been brilliant of late. Focusing on young, talented players.

I even fear that they might still have the hunger for a third UCL title, and very few can stand in their way.
Yeah, they are still favourite in the Champions League as well.

RoyH1

I dont know about Madrid being runaway favorites. They've had a putrid preseason and cannot seem to score without Cristiano Ronaldo. Bale and Benzema have started very sluggishly and now there's no Morata or James coming off the bench to score. Their only bright spot has been Asensio. And their prospects of signing Mbappe seem to be diminishing. Deepest MF in the world and a quality defense, but I'm not sure about their attack.

It'll be close I bet and Atletico will ensure it's a 3 horse race.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
@Skorenzy True, Muriel is our most expensive, as @PedroMendez also pointed out. Even though his stats are not thrilling on beforehand, he just can't be worse than Vietto:)

@PedroMendez What are your thoughts about our silly season so far? I saw Castro said something the other day, that directly contradicts what Arias said 1-2 days ago; Castro spoke about Bacca and mentioned he is an alternative. I'd think it is too good to be true, but one is allowed to dream:drool: After all, we are having quite a reunion in our club at the moment, would be an awful shame if Bacca wasn't invited to it.

Silly season aside, chaos waits around the corner for Castro... Since Del Nido Jr was chosen as scapegoat in the Vitolo-gate, and thus had to resign from his post, the bad blood between Castro and los Del Nidos has reached its boiling point. Since Castro been president there has always been tention between Del Nido family members and Castro, and it is quite remarkable that they (- the board along with Del Nido Jr -) managed to cooperate during these years, but after the Vitolo-gate they couldn't work with each other anymore.

The sad part is that Del Nido Sr has plans in pushing Castro down from his post, and then install his own puppet (who I can't recall his name..), so he can start to rule Sevilla from prison. This autumn could turn out to be turbulent, since Castro has officially declared legal actions against Las Palmas and Atletico, as he also has to deal with los Del Nidos...

----
I am not ready to predict which team I'd think win La Liga, until Barcelona are done with their signings. And it also depends on what Christobal Soria rants about. It honestly feels like he is paid incredible amount of money to act like a monumental clown at Jugones, as if it is all an act (surely?) - except for when he talks about his own team, Sevilla. He seems rational and interesting when he speaks about his time in Sevilla and about what went on behind the scenes. But Everytime he speaks about other teams, especially Real Madrid, he keeps making himself look like an ass. Especially since he got an incredible talent in jinxing himself. He cried of laughter when Real Madrid appointed Zidane - they gave him room to do a monologue, where he kept repeating "You think you can win Champions League with Zidane? HAHAHA" and then he had to eat it up 4 months later. He laughed at Casemiro being allowed to play at this level. Later had to eat that up as well. He had a rant about why football has stoppage time, that it should end at 90 minutes (- after Ramos did what Ramos does in the Super Cup vs Sevilla), and then he ranted about how awful Real Madrid are in the World Cup For Clubs, because they struggled vs a Japanese club in the final - the same Japanese club Sevilla lost to in the friendly the other week. Yes, Pedrerol & co made sure he was reminded that this was the same Japanese team, so he had to eat that up as well. It is a bit embarressing that he sometimes hates Real Madrid more than he loves Sevilla. In 2016, even when Sevilla had won the Europa League he couldn't stop ranting about Real Madrid's easy route to CL victory, which he was reminded of by someone in the audience. If he is invited to ridicule Real Madrid's league title chances, then one might put the money on los blancos, given Soria's incredible stats in jinxing.:lol:

But to be serious, and back to the initial point; I think the Neymar sale has given Bartomeu&co a great opportunity to invest that money well and specifically strengthen the midfield. Of course, trusting the current Barca board with that kind of money is a whole other discussion... It seems that Iñigo Martinez is done for 32 million euros, and that is - on beforehand - a great signing for their defence. I believe many Cules will vote for a misstrust by the end of this month, concerning their current board? Finally the beginning of the end for Bartomeu & co?

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I saw quite a bit of Leganes last year and I really like Gabriel Pires. Heard he may be off to Newcastle but, if he stays, I'll try and catch as many of their games as possible.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Based on pre-season? I haven't seen any of the pre-season, but thought was very good last season especially the second half of the season. I think he had a better, more consistent season than Koke and Saul.
I always feel that he loses too many balls, passing it and with the control, although I don´t
rely on statistics, just a feeling.
I do not think he's the same footballer than 3 or 4 years ago.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
@SfcNervion
I've written most of my thoughts on top of this side. Overall I am pretty happy. I think we are light in midfield and maybe there would have been alternatives to kjaer. Hopefully he is a positive surprise. I can't really talk about Muriel because I don't know him at all. I like bacca but all things considered I am not in favour of getting him back. He would be expensive and I'd rather invest the money somewhere else (or save it). We have two quality CFs. Getting a third to compete for just one spot is imo excessive. Bacca would need to accept a significant pay-cut and occasionally the bench for that to be a good deal. I might change my mind if he really returns.:angel:
------------
My cautious prediction for the season:
Last season real wasn't an unstoppable force and often needed Ramos to score a late winner. Additionally we all know that occasionally player become slightly sloppy when they won it all. We also have to wait and see how the youngster cope with the situation. They won't get much chances to prove their worth.
They are extremely solid due to their midfield, but it is not hard to see how they end up struggling for goals if things don't go their way.
I can't really say anything about Barca. I don't know how losing neymar is going to affect them. We also have to wait and see if/how they replace him.
Atletico has imo the quality and grittiness to match Real, but they have to sort out their midfield. Going back to koke-gabi-augusto + Saul/carrassco won't be good enough.
It is way too early to predict real running away with the Titel.

Personally I feel very good about Sevilla but it would still need a miracle for them to finish ahead of one of the top3.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
@SfcNervion
I've written most of my thoughts on top of this side. Overall I am pretty happy. I think we are light in midfield and maybe there would have been alternatives to kjaer. Hopefully he is a positive surprise. I can't really talk about Muriel because I don't know him at all. I like bacca but all things considered I am not in favour of getting him back. He would be expensive and I'd rather invest the money somewhere else (or save it). We have two quality CFs. Getting a third to compete for just one spot is imo excessive. Bacca would need to accept a significant pay-cut and occasionally the bench for that to be a good deal. I might change my mind if he really returns.:angel:
------------
My cautious prediction for the season:
Last season real wasn't an unstoppable force and often needed Ramos to score a late winner. Additionally we all know that occasionally player become slightly sloppy when they won it all. We also have to wait and see how the youngster cope with the situation. They won't get much chances to prove their worth.
They are extremely solid due to their midfield, but it is not hard to see how they end up struggling for goals if things don't go their way.
I can't really say anything about Barca. I don't know how losing neymar is going to affect them. We also have to wait and see if/how they replace him.
Atletico has imo the quality and grittiness to match Real, but they have to sort out their midfield. Going back to koke-gabi-augusto + Saul/carrassco won't be good enough.
It is way too early to predict real running away with the Titel.

Personally I feel very good about Sevilla but it would still need a miracle for them to finish ahead of one of the top3.
Don't think your top 4 status is in danger. Who could steal it from you?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Don't think your top 4 status is in danger. Who could steal it from you?
Villarreal, Athletic or Real sociedad could all finish ahead of Sevilla. Crazier things have happened. There are other teams that I wouldn't count out yet. Still the goal has to be to finish 4th and we are the "team to beat" for this spot.

Last edited:

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Yeah, Sevilla have only been at top 4 once in the past 6-7 years. We usually end up 5th or 6th. A few times even lower than that...

I am happy with our silly season so far. Our squad is miles better than last season, and Ganso&Montoya are looking like new signings, since they are starting to get in shape during this pre season. :lol: And Krohn-Dehli with an epic comeback, an incredible asset for our team - as Berizzo knows this player inside and out.

I think - as you (@PedroMendez) - that Navas could be a great boost for this team, since he can fulfill various positions. I do not expect Navas to be a crack (as with Nolito and Banega) but I do expect him to show great example on and off the field. I got high hopes on Nolito. I think he can still be at his best for at least 2-3 years, so let's not be blind by his age:angel:. I am a bit concerned as well with our defence, especially Kjaer - but I hope that he is at least better than Rami... Corchia is interesting ! Doubt he could be as good as Mariano, but I think he could fulfill his role as rb.

NYAS

Unfortunately not too many new exciting players :( . I didn´t know that Schär was promising. I am also curious about Fede Valverde, Betis with Setién( they could sign Boudebouz from Montpellier) and Valencia, I guess that they will sign someone else.
I do not understand the signings of Sevilla. I am not much of the opinion of bringing old glories, but let´s see.
What? Betis signing Boudebouz would be an amazing transfer for them. He could go to a much bigger club!

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Villarreal, Athletic or Real sociedad could all finish ahead of Sevilla. Crazier things have happened. There are other teams that I wouldn't count out yet. Still the goal has to be to finish 4th and we are the "team to beat" for this spot.
I give you Villareal. They have quite a good team every year.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Going to Seville tomorrow. I am gonna try to visit both stadiums :D
I am not jealous...:rolleyes::mad:;)

Our peña is aiming for the derby in January and the game vs Madrid during the feria/spring celebrations. I never been to a Sevilla derby before, would be awesome to visit one while our unbeaten streak vs them is intact.

Danny Roberts

Ah, silly me, I'm going out to Sevilla with the wife (who likes football) and hadn't even thought about going to a game. Will definitely get the dates checked. I definitely think they'll have another very decent season.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I am not jealous...:rolleyes::mad:;)

Our peña is aiming for the derby in January and the game vs Madrid during the feria/spring celebrations. I never been to a Sevilla derby before, would be awesome to visit one while our unbeaten streak vs them is intact.
This is from last august ;)

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
This is from last august ;)

Nice. Good thing that Sanchez Pizjuan is renovated and uplifted now. It sure looked teared and worn out from the outside, especially last time I was there. But I have not seen it since they made 'major surgery' on the outside look of the stadium. Now they have made the theme similar as the Emirates, as well as Allianz Arena, in the sense that there are pictures of legends surronding the stadium and the stadium lights up during evenings. Think you'll find the new look quite cool. :)

Last edited:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Nice. Good thing that Sanchez Pizjuan is renovated and uplifted now. It sure looked teared and worn out from the outside, especially last time I was there. But I have not seen it since they made 'major surgery' on the outside look of the stadium. Now they have made it similar as the Emirates, in the sense that there are pictures of legends surronding the stadium. Think you'll find the new look quite cool. :)
I noticed that last year. I think they have finished by now.

Inter Yer Nan

You really need to go inside. It's neverending :drool::drool::drool: you get the feeling of immensity
Are you Spanish living in Italy or just grew up a Real Madrid fan?

Yeah, Santiago Bernabeu is an amazing sporting venue. I remember as a kid on TV I always was in more awe of Camp Nou and then I saw them both in person and my view switched completely.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Are you Spanish living in Italy or just grew up a Real Madrid fan?

Yeah, Santiago Bernabeu is an amazing sporting venue. I remember as a kid on TV I always was in more awe of Camp Nou and then I saw them both in person and my view switched completely.
Italian, grew up in italy, spanish grandfather on mother's side. But i've been to madrid several times and to the bernabeu(and camp nou)

And yes, in person the bernabeu is more impressive. It's actually smaller, but because of the way the stadiums are built it looks bigger from the inside. Camp Nou is just too dispersive because of its shape, it's enormous but it doesn't give quite the same feeling of immensty as the Bernabeu, which looks more vertical. At the Camp Nou, you look around you. At the Bernabeu, you look up

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Meh. Now news are coming out that n'zonzi is pushing for a move afterall; considering the 40m clause, arias can't stop him. Getting Llorente on a loan deal could be the replacement (+Pizarro)

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Yeah, his timing couldn't have been better. :rolleyes: Right before the CL qualifications...

N'Zonzi should leave if he has got his mind settled elsewhere, as long as we get reasonable price for him. So we can get back Krychowiak:keano: (And the reunion party continues).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Who's gonna sign N'Zonzi anyways? Juve won't

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
In better news and in spirit of the epic reunion: Bacca soon to be Sevillista. He is ready to go to Sevilla with less salary, because both he and his family like and prefer the city. Rumours suggest that it will be loan, with 10 million euro buy out clause.