View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

SER19

Disastrous. Such an important player, even just watching at home you can see the different angles and range of his passing. Then there's the huge influence he has on those around him. Its like losing the captain

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Licha being out for any significant length of time is so detrimental to us I'm going to absolutely refuse to believe it until its confirmed.

bstb3

Just came to post that video, hadn't seen it. I hope he's right.

90 + 5min

As soon as it happened I've said it looks like ligament damage. I think it still is the case and that it is MCL the way he was holding his knee. I would think that his season is over. I couldn't imagine that we are going to take risk and speed up his recovery.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The commentator from my country said the same when you could see that Martinez was waiting to get back on the pitch. The commentator is a former professional footballer himself, and a similar situation cost him his career when he continued to play for a short time.
It was also the inner ligament of the knee, as it appears to be with Martinez.

Unbelievable that ETH and the med.staff would take such a risk.
Seems bonkers. A partial ligament tear was such a possibility in that situation….why have him go back out. Criminal really

Oranges038

Seems bonkers. A partial ligament tear was such a possibility in that situation….why have him go back out. Criminal really
The medial is a funny one. You can think it feels ok, then try to run and your leg will just feel like it gives way.

Hopefully at most it is just a medial strain, 4-6 weeks should be enough.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I am heartbroken. To come back from such long injury absence and then this...

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Damn, terrible news. The guy is our best defender by a country mile, both defensively and in positively moving the ball forward.

It’s no coincidence we look a much better unit as a whole once he returned. Now we’re without him again for potentially months :(

Wheato

Fingers crossed crossed for an MCL Strain, and 1 to 2 weeks to recover. Even a partial tear could see him back in 6. The way that the West Ham player put his elbow on the floor, meant that the full weight didn't fall on him, so lets hope we get some good news tomorrow.

criticalanalysis

I would prefer Shaw to play at centre back because I shudder at the thought of Lindelof coming back but then we have no left back ffs.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Manifesting the phrase “not as serious as first feared”.

JediSith

That's true. Might be the least bad option but we're going to miss him as LB.
Yeah. He’ll be a big miss at LB if that’s what EtH decides to do. Might end up with Dalot playing there.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Gotta wonder if he will ever be reliable
He was extremely reliable last year and for most of his career, until he broke his foot. Which can happen to any player. Then he broke down again because we clearly brought him back too soon and exacerbated the old injury. That’s just poor from the club.

This injury, let’s wait and see what it is, especially before we start labelling him as a crock. A label which really flies in the face of his career so far.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be a big blow if he's out for a long period of time. His technical ability, composure and intelligence on the ball is hands down better than the rest of our CBs. The way he makes everything look very simple in possession is a testament to what a good footballer he is.

The medical department comes under Gary O'Driscoll since he joined recently. Hopefully he can have a positive impact on the recovery of Martinez.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If this is a bad injury then I’m losing hope. He’s the only signing in recent times that I can safely was a top one - has everything to be a top 3-5 CB in the world. feck right off. A year and a half written off his career would destroy him and I’m not sure how he’ll recover from that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given we are usually hush about injuries expect this to just go on and on until he’s forgotten about.

Mainoonited99

Knee injuries are a nightmare. I went to physiotherapy with a torn meniscus on Friday and the expected recovery time is anything between 6 - 12 weeks. When I'm not up to my neck on meds the pain is something else.

With Martinez, I don't think it's ACL as he tried to carry on. We probably won't hear anything for a few days as they'll need to wait for any swelling to go down before they scan, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a cartilage issue. Either way, I'll be surprised to see him back before the end of the season.

Such a rotten season for him.

MegadrivePerson

There's only 15 weeks of the league season left. If it's any sort of serious injury he's done. Even if he's not I'd focus on getting him ready for next season now anyway.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Please stop saying this, Gazza absolutely wrecked his ACL and tried to carry on.
Yep. That's how I fecked up my knee. Just out a brace on it and kept playing even though I knew something was very wrong. As soon as I stopped it became obvious very quick I made a terrible decision. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Hopefully he fares better than that and it truly was just a knock. I know it took me a long time before I stopped being scared every time my knee suffered any kind of notable impact, thinking I re aggravated the same injury as before

Last edited:

Ekeke

Should think about selling him at this point
We seem to have no money and with his recent injury record we'd be selling him at a loss so we'd be replacing him with a worse player. Even if we decided this is the plan we'd need to get him fit and playing half a season to show he can do that and attract £50 million offers

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
The impact he has on the team is just unbelievable.. He has become so important so quickly..

Hughes35

Huge miss if he's out for any length of time.

Hope we jus go sensible and don't move loads of players around to accommodate if he's missing.

new back 4 of Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Shaw is fine.

The biggest worry is that Varane now falls apart again.