Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leg-End

45 minutes of the first game in pre-season, a game that is simply about getting fitness back to normal levels.

Relax.

LR7

Im really impressed with that story about him and Januzaj taking a fitness trainer on holiday with them, seems to have an impressively mature attitude. Really hope he can put the injury problems behind him this season, he's pretty much a nailed on starter for me when he's fit.
Agreed. Hopefully that work he's put in during the summer will help him to have a good season.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Another season of almost none attacking impact and I hope we sign his real competitor. Does he live in the 80's? He's great defensively but has literally no creativity whatsoever in him. He is fast, can dribble, a smart olayer but he hesitates too much on the ball. Needs to sort it out ASAP. You cant play possession football with non existent FB's.
He is no Marcelo or Dani Alves but he does have the tools to become a good attacking wing-back, albeit not an overly technical one. He has excellent pace, decent ball-control and is always willing to go on overlaps and stretch opposition. It's also harsh to judge him on the back of his injury-strewn debut season where he did look a bit tentative and reserved, if you will. Expecting much more from him this season as he would be more settled down now.

Tbh, I'd much rather have a FB who has the defensive aspects of his game nailed down, as opposed to your modern day technical and talented but defensively inept FB. As it stands, Shaw can very well develop into a Zabaleta/G.Neville prototype who isn't the most technical or flashy of players, but someone who is always willing to contribute offensively with their engine and ability to stretch play whilst being a decent crossing option. Heck, even Ivanovich was able to make the transition from being a sturdy CB to a FB who was capable of decent attacking output. Point being that, whilst he obviously won't become a R.Carlos or a Brehme in the future, he can still become a top notch well-rounded FB who can contribute offensively. He certainly has the tools and the right manager who can take his game to the next level.

Mali_Zeus

Football fans. So impatient nowadays. He's 20 and had a season plagued with injuries. One preseason game and its - if he doesnt get better soon..

The Red Thinker

45 minutes of the first game in pre-season, a game that is simply about getting fitness back to normal levels.

Relax.
Thank goodness people like you are around here at the Caf because sometimes I think this forum is dominated by 16 year olds who haven't understood what life's actually about. Patience is a virtue fast disappearing in this world.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I didn't know I had OCD, but all the different styles of thread titles for the players is really annoying me. Some have dashes (-) and some have these things | to separate the name and the "2015/16 performances"... which is also written as "performances 2015/16" for some players, occasionally having a dash instead of a "/".

I'm going mental.

Cantona'sCollar

He has a lot of potential, I dont think anyone can doubt that. But he is in a way attackingly a hindrance to us. With the football we play, teams sit back and there's just no space in the middle. Because of that we should utilize the space out wide very well. Just watch how Barca does it with Alba and Alves, they cross, linkup, create space for wingers that's what we need to create more chances and raise the tempo. Last season Shaw and Valencia were just very lacking in this area whilst being very solid players. I think for Soton Shaw was better attackingly than he's for us now. Although against Chelsea, City, and Crystal Palace he had very good displays on attacking and defensive side, that shows promise.
That's true. Perhaps in a pure counter-attacking team, he would be lethal going forward even without the skill that other attacking full-backs possess. Our system means that he has to actually handle the ball in tight spaces and (occasionally) beat a player from a stand-still. He probably isn't very suited to this right now, and it will take time for him to get used to LVG's style. That said, I don't think it's a problem that he looked better going forward for Soton. They relied a lot on full-back play, and he was one of the bigger names in the team. Here at United, we play a patient, passing game where there are 5 or 6 names in the team that will all be relied on more than him to provide attacking impetus. It's only natural that he takes a backseat for now.

I think we'll just have to see how he adapts as this season progresses, and revisit this topic in December (assuming he plays a lot) - he definitely has a lot of work to do, but his potential is massive. I think if he is lucky with injuries and keeps on developing, he can become one of the best full-backs in the world, if not the best (in several years, of course). We'll have a better indicator of his ability this season, after a run of games behind a consistent left-side player (probably Depay).

I rate him as our biggest youth prospect right now, assuming DDG doesn't count. He is such a natural defender, with so many useful qualities.

The White Pele

I think Shaw will be our most improved player this season and could give us an extra dimension in attack.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Thanks for the replies. So the opinions of his performance range from impressive to a lot worse than Blackett with more replies siding with the latter view.

I like the article about him bringing trainer with him on holiday. Both he and Januzaj approaching this season as an important one and hope they both stay fit and flourish.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Football fans. So impatient nowadays. He's 20 and had a season plagued with injuries. One preseason game and its - if he doesnt get better soon..
Are you his .. ? Just kidding :D, I agree with you, even if he hasn't been that impressive since his arrival, Shaw has so much time to develop into a cracking player for Man Utd. Preseason (specially the first match) is all about regaining match fitness anyway.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He is no Marcelo or Dani Alves but he does have the tools to become a good attacking wing-back, albeit not an overly technical one. He has excellent pace, decent ball-control and is always willing to go on overlaps and stretch opposition. It's also harsh to judge him on the back of his injury-strewn debut season where he did look a bit tentative and reserved, if you will. Expecting much more from him this season as he would be more settled down now.

Tbh, I'd much rather have a FB who has the defensive aspects of his game nailed down, as opposed to your modern day technical and talented but defensively inept FB. As it stands, Shaw can very well develop into a Zabaleta/G.Neville prototype who isn't the most technical or flashy of players, but someone who is always willing to contribute offensively with their engine and ability to stretch play whilst being a decent crossing option. Heck, even Ivanovich was able to make the transition from being a sturdy CB to a FB who was capable of decent attacking output. Point being that, whilst he obviously won't become a R.Carlos or a Brehme in the future, he can still become a top notch well-rounded FB who can contribute offensively. He certainly has the tools and the right manager who can take his game to the next level.
Normally I prefer defensive full backs myself too, but for the setup LVG maintains attacking full backs are so important. Just look at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, they've got respectively Alba, Alves, Marcelo, Carvajal, Alaba, Lahm. It's no coincidence that they're all full backs who are very strong offensively and very good in possession, and with slight differences all these teams play quite similar football. And that's the way we're heading too. Chelsea play different football so they dont really need that for example.

Im not trying to slate him or not rate him, but he just has to improve offensively. Not basing this on the pre season match, but on the entire last season. Lets see if he does.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Normally I prefer defensive full backs myself too, but for the setup LVG maintains attacking full backs are so important. Just look at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, they've got respectively Alba, Alves, Marcelo, Carvajal, Alaba, Lahm. It's no coincidence that they're all full backs who are very strong offensively and very good in possession, and with slight differences all these teams play quite similar football. And that's the way we're heading too. Chelsea play different football so they dont really need that for example.

Im not trying to slate him or not rate him, but he just has to improve offensively. Not basing this on the pre season match, but on the entire last season. Lets see if he does.
If you are basing this on last season you would say that he's really good at attacking especially against Chelsea, they had no idea how to counter his pace on that left side. He created a sitter for Rooney in the beginning of the game which he missed and many other chances throughout the game.

LeftyBlaster

It's only that his potential doesnt play in the field at the moment, there's some standards a starter for United has to reach to play week in and out. In attacking aspect Shaw just isnt reaching that. Playing talents is important, but the FB position is just so important in our style of play that we cant keep playing somebody there just because he has potential. If it doesnt change soon, you have just hindranced yourself for a while because you basically wait for potential to be fulfilled. With the importance of that position and our ambition to be amongst the best in the world, it doesnt look ideal to me.
What sort of standards should he be performing to? How have you judged him? His first season was spent played erratically and injury riddled. If we truly wish to see how good he is or can be, we should be using this season to do it.

Regarding the part in bold; the only way any player develops is by playing. What other full back would you realistically swap Shaw with that we could sign without needing to gel another play into the squad? He's more than good enough for me to start at left back where we can afford him maximum experience to grow. Also, we have players who can rotate with him in that position in the event of a slump in form, like Blind and Rojo.

Sammyjunn

If you are basing this on last season you would say that he's really good at attacking especially against Chelsea, they had no idea how to counter his pace on that left side. He created a sitter for Rooney in the beginning of the game which he missed and many other chances throughout the game.
Did we play just one match in the season? As already sad, vs Crystal Palace, City and Chelsea he had great offensive displays. But generally, his attacking influence was quite small.

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

What sort of standards should he be performing to? How have you judged him? His first season was spent played erratically and injury riddled. If we truly wish to see how good he is or can be, we should be using this season to do it.

Regarding the part in bold; the only way any player develops is by playing. What other full back would you realistically swap Shaw with that we could sign without needing to gel another play into the squad? He's more than good enough for me to start at left back where we can afford him maximum experience to grow. Also, we have players who can rotate with him in that position in the event of a slump in form, like Blind and Rojo.
What standards? Defensively he is perfect to me, but attackingly he needs to be able to cross, pass opposition in 1 vs 1's ocassionaly, link up with our winger to create space for himself and our forwards. He needs to maintain width with our wingers in order for the centre to be less crowded.

If we get Moyes back or sign Klopp, Shaw is the perfect LB. Under LVG though, quite much is expected of FB's in attacking sense, and that's the shame for Shaw. So I really hope he improves in this area because he's a fantastic prospect, if he doesnt we may need someone who's quite good in this area on occasions. Could be Blind / Rojo but Im not certain about their future here.

Obiorahking_

He's going to be class this season if he can stay fit. He looked very good when he played last season and that was without being able to get any consistency to his game time.

People go on about our defensive frailty , but Shaw, Darmian and Smalling are three quarters of a very good defense.
I agree. All 3 have world class potential.

Brightonian

What standards? Defensively he is perfect to me, but attackingly he needs to be able to cross, pass opposition in 1 vs 1's ocassionaly, link up with our winger to create space for himself and our forwards. He needs to maintain width with our wingers in order for the centre to be less crowded.
He did all those things to a very high level last season. He just barely played because of the injuries.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
The fullbacks are probably the part of van gaal's philosophy that might be under change. You look at his comments about Mcnair being a Long term RB; and the first pre-season game back; both blackett & Mcnair play at LB & RB respectively. Two defensive minded fullback's playing a proper flat back line.

Likewise Shaw will consistently be under duress because i honestly think van gaal is experimenting under the job.

I'm going to say the complete opposite and say that rather than Van gaal regarding shaw as offensively incomplete; his real problems arise from his approach to defending. It's his defensive positioning that will be the fundamental point of approach to attacking &
thus far Blind has been a much better LB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have all the time in the world for Shaw at the moment. I think he has the potential, and is going to be fantastic.

Sammyjunn

He did all those things to a very high level last season. He just barely played because of the injuries.
Don't agree to that at all. It isnt that he has a bad cross per se for example, but he chooses to pass back and hesitate too much. I dont think he has good 1 vs 1 dribbling, but when he dribbles into space and gets going theres just no stopping him. He's extremely fast and strong and you cant just get it off him. He showed that vs Crystal Palace and also vs Club America. However when in standing positions with few space in front of him, he rather tends to pass the ball backwards. Not that he needs to be Hazard, but when teams sit back he just has a very tough time offensively, he's not the only one tho.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Another season of almost none attacking impact and I hope we sign his real competitor. Does he live in the 80's? He's great defensively but has literally no creativity whatsoever in him. He is fast, can dribble, a smart olayer but he hesitates too much on the ball. Needs to sort it out ASAP. You cant play possession football with non existent FB's.
It's perfectly normal to go back to basics and play it safe when you're lacking confidence. Once he's established himself in the team he'll start expressing himself. He's certainly not lacking technically. I think he's got a lot of similar qualities to Ashley Cole.

Sammyjunn

It's perfectly normal to go back to basics and play it safe when you're lacking confidence. Once he's established himself in the team he'll start expressing himself. He's certainly not lacking technically. I think he's got a lot of similar qualities to Ashley Cole.
That's true, he was injured a lot but why shouldnt he be confident? He was the LB of the year the season before, went to the WC, praised by a lot of people, signed for a big fee, and put in some wonderful defensive displays, doesnt that give you a lot of confidence in your ability? I think it's the only point he really has to improve, other than that he's just class for a LB and certainly at that age.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
But after he was signed for a big fee he got told he wasn't fit enough and picked up a few injuries over the course of the season which'd give him a knock in confidence.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's true, he was injured a lot but why shouldnt he be confident? He was the LB of the year the season before, went to the WC, praised by a lot of people, signed for a big fee, and put in some wonderful defensive displays, doesnt that give you a lot of confidence in your ability? I think it's the only point he really has to improve, other than that he's just class for a LB and certainly at that age.
I really think too many people see footballers as robots or video game players these days. His life isn't solely limited to his footballing career. He was an 18 year old kid moving away from home for the first time, moving away from friends and family to a very different city a couple of hundred miles away and making a huge step forward in his career in every way (salary, expectations, environment, competition). That's moving very far outside of your comfort zone at a relatively tender age, and that takes some getting used to.

Within a few weeks of joining he'd already been told by his new manager that he's not in the right condition, his fitness isn't up to standard, and because of that he didn't make his debut until the end of September. That will knock anyone's confidence. That's then followed up by him getting repeatedly injured and seemingly proving his manager's criticisms to be true. That had all happened by around the halfway point in the season. Scolded by his manager (in public, to some degree), kept out of the first time for the first month of the season, and then injured a couple of times by the end of November. Thereafter he played sporadically and got a couple more injuries and because of that never managed to pick up any real run of form.

That'll affect anyone's confidence I'd have thought.

Sammyjunn

I really think too many people see footballers as robots or video game players these days. His life isn't solely limited to his footballing career. He was an 18 year old kid moving away from home for the first time, moving away from friends and family to a very different city a couple of hundred miles away and making a huge step forward in his career in every way (salary, expectations, environment, competition). That's moving very far outside of your comfort zone at a relatively tender age, and that takes some getting used to.

Within a few weeks of joining he'd already been told by his new manager that he's not in the right condition, his fitness isn't up to standard, and because of that he didn't make his debut until the end of September. That will knock anyone's confidence. That's then followed up by him getting repeatedly injured and seemingly proving his manager's criticisms to be true. That had all happened by around the halfway point in the season. Scolded by his manager (in public, to some degree), kept out of the first time for the first month of the season, and then injured a couple of times by the end of November. Thereafter he played sporadically and got a couple more injuries and because of that never managed to pick up any real run of form.

That'll affect anyone's confidence I'd have thought.
Could all be good reasons for him not being most confident, although it isnt true that his family live in a different city. They moved along with him and he lives with them, he also said that he didnt even live with them in Southampton but he does now. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...life-Manchester-United-frustrating-start.html. These things could have meant a dig in confidence but on the other hand I think he has endured a lot of things that can also boost your confidence. But I know feck all about how he feels, just not sure why that would per se affect his attacking game and not defensive game.

LeftyBlaster

If we get Moyes back or sign Klopp, Shaw is the perfect LB. Under LVG though, quite much is expected of FB's in attacking sense, and that's the shame for Shaw. So I really hope he improves in this area because he's a fantastic prospect, if he doesnt we may need someone who's quite good in this area on occasions. Could be Blind / Rojo but Im not certain about their future here.
You're being too harsh. Learning when and how to attack as a fullback comes with experience, and the only way he'll be able to get that is if we afford him playing time as our first choice, which I pointed out in the last post. Also, Shaw's hardly the reason the centre's crowded; I find it laughable that you even think so.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Watching him live on Mutv training earlier, he still has such a huge backside, I don't know if it's a weight issue or just a natural build but you can't help noticing. Random comment I know.

Edit- Oh dear.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Don't agree to that at all. It isnt that he has a bad cross per se for example, but he chooses to pass back and hesitate too much. I dont think he has good 1 vs 1 dribbling, but when he dribbles into space and gets going theres just no stopping him. He's extremely fast and strong and you cant just get it off him. He showed that vs Crystal Palace and also vs Club America. However when in standing positions with few space in front of him, he rather tends to pass the ball backwards. Not that he needs to be Hazard, but when teams sit back he just has a very tough time offensively, he's not the only one tho.
I'd say he 'doesn't have good 1v1 dribbling' in the same way that Yaya Touré 'doesn't have good 1v1 dribbling.' I.e: just because he doesn't have Messi's body shape, doesn't mean he can't dribble. How many time did he cut right through the Chelsea defence to the dead ball line or into their box in that second fixture last season? He's not Evra, but then there's hardly a fullback in football at the moment who dribbles the way Evra could. Marcelo, maybe. Shaw dribbles the same way Alaba dribbles, or Carvajal does: with deft touches when running at full pace, and with the power to hold off an opponent's body when going past them. That's how a fullback should dribble, because if they're having to do it from a standing start a la Messi or Nani, they've mistimed their run.

As for his passing and crossing in attacking positions, I can't believe we're watching the same player. If anything I think his decision-making and ability to pick out a teammate once he's got himself into the position to deliver a pass/cross is his best attacking attribute. His balls cut back for a player on the edge of the box to shoot are consistently unerringly accurate.

Brightonian

Watching him live on Mutv training earlier, he still has such a huge backside, I don't know if it's a weight issue or just a natural build but you can't help noticing. Random comment I know.

Edit- Oh dear.
Where do you think that running power comes from. That's his build. If you fancy adding another arse to that tagline, check out a 100m sprinter like Tyson Gay.

Sammyjunn

You're being too harsh. Learning when and how to attack as a fullback comes with experience, and the only way he'll be able to get that is if we afford him playing time as our first choice, which I pointed out in the last post. Also, Shaw's hardly the reason the centre's crowded; I find it laughable that you even think so.
It's rather the opposite, most talented full backs in the modern day are strong offensively and learn the defensive side with experience. It's not because of Shaw that the centre is crowded, that's because we play a possession based style. But FB's in our setup usually have the task to keep width in our play, and linkup or create space in wider areas in order to get the centre less crowded. However in my opinion, Shaw and Valencia havent done this adequately often enough last season.

Sammyjunn

I'd say he 'doesn't have good 1v1 dribbling' in the same way that Yaya Touré 'doesn't have good 1v1 dribbling.' I.e: just because he doesn't have Messi's body shape, doesn't mean he can't dribble. How many time did he cut right through the Chelsea defence to the dead ball line or into their box in that second fixture last season? He's not Evra, but then there's hardly a fullback in football at the moment who dribbles the way Evra could. Marcelo, maybe. Shaw dribbles the same way Alaba dribbles, or Carvajal does: with deft touches when running at full pace, and with the power to hold off an opponent's body when going past them. That's how a fullback should dribble, because if they're having to do it from a standing start a la Messi or Nani, they've mistimed their run.

As for his passing and crossing in attacking positions, I can't believe we're watching the same player. If anything I think his decision-making and ability to pick out a teammate once he's got himself into the position to deliver a pass/cross is his best attacking attribute. His balls cut back for a player on the edge of the box to shoot are consistently unerringly accurate.
Never said he cant dribble, just that when it's crowded and he has players directly in front of him. He rather just passes the ball back than trying to dribble to create space. Baba, Gaya, Rodriguez, Alba, Alaba all of them have quite good 1 vs 1 dribbling as all of them bar Baba from what I know have played as LM. I think that shows that they're dribbling for a full back to be able to play in that position. I dont think Shaw has the same dribbling as them, as his dribbling is more one directed and when he gets going just unstoppable, while the others mentioned are quite easier on the turn and a bit more agile.

It might be his best attacking attribute but that doesnt mean it's great, and there you make the point. It isnt that his pass or cross his bad, he just barely gets into those positions because of the quite lacking link up play many at times this season and his inability to get himself in those positions via dribbling. Not saying he should be di Maria, but you've seen us this season, teams just sit back and it's so crowded. In order to break that your full backs who are very advanced in possession, require quite some ability to be dangerous and vital in our attacking play. As said earlier, if Shaw played for Chelsea (although they played more possession football last season than usual) or in an older United team with a more direct attack. He'd just be monstrous, his pace, strength, composure, directness is immense for a full back of his age. But the technical skills become much more important in a LVG set up.

Sammyjunn

If you can be arsed to watch, in this video I think you see the highlights of Shaw's season. Some great defensive actions, real class. When it comes to the attack too, but mostly of those attacking actions is when he gets played unto the ball with pace or when he has space in front of him, he's just unstoppable. He's so fast and strong and puts himself well between the ball and the defender. The action where he shrugged of Drogba for example, space in front of him and he just burst into the box and puts in a decent ball. It's situations like at 4:14, 4:27, 4:31, 4:40 that I want to see more of him. Players in front of him, but he tries to dribble past them, tries to dribble in the positions where he could make something happen. He showed this at Soton so I guess he has the ability, but he needs to show it more for me, and especially against teams who fully sit back unlike Everton and Chelsea in those examples. It's his first season tho, so lets hope he shows it for us or at least improves this season in that aspect.

Shawly it's been enough Shaw for me today.

saivet

I didn't know I had OCD, but all the different styles of thread titles for the players is really annoying me. Some have dashes (-) and some have these things | to separate the name and the "2015/16 performances"... which is also written as "performances 2015/16" for some players, occasionally having a dash instead of a "/".

I'm going mental.
Happy days Aaron.

LeftyBlaster

It's rather the opposite, most talented full backs in the modern day are strong offensively and learn the defensive side with experience. It's not because of Shaw that the centre is crowded, that's because we play a possession based style. But FB's in our setup usually have the task to keep width in our play, and linkup or create space in wider areas in order to get the centre less crowded. However in my opinion, Shaw and Valencia havent done this adequately often enough last season.
And yet as you keep pointing out yourself it's his offensive game that's lacking. Experience works for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.