Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He laughed cause he was embarrassed.
Give him a break. Personally don't think there was any need to bring him on.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He laughed because the Jose pressure is gone. Becasue he's feeling good. Because he can see the funny side of how that moment went and it doesn't bother him.

Can you imagine what Mourinho would have said about that post match?

cyberman

I can see why he was embarrassed but he fecked that chance up before he slipped over.
Its really not funny, its a major flaw that's holding him back from arguably being the best number 9 in Europe

Andersons Dietician

That was a weird sequence when he fell over. Because just before it he goes to cut it back and is already smiling, miss controls it then tries again and falls over at the 2nd attempt. Wondering what he found so funny when he first tried to control it.

Looked like someone just going through the motions to see out the game today and who can really blame him, hopefully gets some good training in and comes back in the form he has been in for the Spurs game. Would be tempted to stick him on the right for that and put the big man upfront.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I can see why he was embarrassed but he fecked that chance up before he slipped over.
Its really not funny, its a major flaw that's holding him back from arguably being the best number 9 in Europe
That came out of nowhere.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep, he ran his socks off past month or so. He was supposed to get a break today.

yfoFC

I understand, but Rashford's form has been excellent for more than month and a half now, and this was just a cameo against a weak side while we were winning a game.
He does deserve to be cut some slack, I'm sure be won't be complacent against a side like spurs

Though I did not enjoy the sequence leading up to his trip over the ball as @Andersons Dietician post covered it, I hope the game today is a one-off as we need him against spurs

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Whoa there, settle down fella.

But it is something that I've seen quite a few times, him losing his footing or tripping up on his first touch. He'll iron that out, but it still won't put him in any reasonable argument of the best 9 in Europe.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Theres a lack of numbers 9s around at the minute as we've seen in the market.
If Marcus added a clinical nature to his all round play he would be right up there imo.
My view as well.
He is not only a very good young player but he has a good work ethnic.

I can't help wondering what he would be worth in the current transfer market; not that I am saying he is available, just wondering...

Yes he is, no denying that

However I was just making an observation that martial had ok -decent games the last two outings yet people still had a go at him (and people also defended him)

Just seemed odd after a performance like today no one said anything about Rashford's performance especially with the recent posts on martial as a background

Anyways, it was just an observation of mine and hope to see both of them turn up against spurs and onwards
Martial actually had a very good game against Bournemouth, I was really surprised when people were saying he was average to poor in the post-match thread. He was certainly mediocre against Newcastle though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Look now that Jose has gone do we really need to get into these petty player v player wars again. Jose pitted Rashford v Martial and it built a divide between the players themselves as well as the fans who worshipped one player over the other... let’s avoid that bullshit.

Since Ole has come on the scene Rashford has been fantastic and yes he had a bad game today but big deal it was a cameo and he wasn’t at his best - no need to bring Martial into it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Look now that Jose has gone do we really need to get into these petty player v player wars again. Jose pitted Rashford v Martial and it built a divide between the players themselves as well as the fans who worshipped one player over the other... let’s avoid that bullshit.

Since Ole has come on the scene Rashford has been fantastic and yes he had a bad game today but big deal it was a cameo and he wasn’t at his best - no need to bring Martial into it.
That's far too reasonable for an online forum, sorry.

Also, Rashford is a homegrown kid, he gets more love it's really that simple. Whether it's in the media or the boards, Martial gets a harsher treatment but it's also because he's far more talented and doesn't give the impression to always give his all like Rashford who, besides this one cameo appearance, has been on absolute fire.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really hope he gets better at 1vs1, but I just don't know if he will.

Definitely should have been rested today were it not for Sanchez's injury. He's been great lately.

Classical Mechanic

Not that I want to get into comparing Rashford and Martial but they’re both into their 4 season at Utd now.........

Rashford 148 apps, 39 goals, 23 assists

Martial 158 apps 45 goals, 28 assists

Rashford = goal or assist every 141 minutes

Martial = goal or assist every 144 minutes

Not a lot of folks would credit that I’d guess.

Got the stats from transfermarkd but on the iPad so not the best switching between screens. Either way, their output is extremely close.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's far too reasonable for an online forum, sorry.

Also, Rashford is a homegrown kid, he gets more love it's really that simple. Whether it's in the media or the boards, Martial gets a harsher treatment but it's also because he's far more talented and doesn't give the impression to always give his all like Rashford who, besides this one cameo appearance, has been on absolute fire.
Dare I say it but with love and patience both of these two together could be a Yorke and Cole albeit not a front two - they are both complementary players.. one is more smooth and the other one more rugged and unpredictable.. one more finesse the other more explosive but the great thing is they’re both young and very penetrative exciting footballers.

Minimalist

Imagine being like this. :lol:

Seriously wind your neck in.

haram

He laughed because he probably could already hear what Jesse was gonna say to him about it :lol:.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Bit of hyperbole here pal. He’s showing signs of sharpening his game, I think in the next few seasons he’ll be a freak for us.

He's a better finisher than most of the greats when they were the same age as him. It will only improve.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Theres a lack of numbers 9s around at the minute as we've seen in the market.
If Marcus added a clinical nature to his all round play he would be right up there imo.
There isn't a lack of number 9s, they just don't want to move.

Kane, Icardi, Suarez, Aguero, Aubameyang, Cavani, Lewandowski are all miles better than him as no.9s.

It's debateable whether he's a no.9 in the first place, he's very comfortable playing on the left and a lot of his game is wasted when you restrict him to be a striker. He's a versatile forward that should really be moving all around the pitch.

Valencia Shin Crosses

There isn't a lack of number 9s, they just don't want to move.

Kane, Icardi, Suarez, Aguero, Aubameyang, Cavani, Lewandowski are all miles better than him as no.9s.

It's debateable whether he's a no.9 in the first place, he's very comfortable playing on the left and a lot of his game is wasted when you restrict him to be a striker. He's a versatile forward that should really be moving all around the pitch.
He isn't good enough technically to play on the wing for where we want to go imo. He's shown this time and again. Very skillful and has the ability to create magic, but too often will feck up a touch or choose the wrong pass to be a winger. He's a 9 for me as long as he can show ability to continue being clinical, because he has excellent movement and strikes the ball really well. Plus having that skill in his locker is more useful in trying to score a goal as opposed to trying to beat a man and create a chance from wide, since it won't always come off.

All this being said, really hope he's our striker for the rest of the season. I've seen enough of Rom to know we are limited in our ceiling with him on the pitch, and Rash in a more attacking team gives us the ability to properly evaluate him, as well as allow him to continue developing at his most valuable position.

Kostur

海尔的老板

:lol:

manunited1919

So, if our young striker were clinical in front of goal, if he wouldn’t miss those easy chances, he would be the best number 9 in Europe? Putting those chances away and being deadly in front of goal is the main job of a number 9. He is not even close to inspiring the fear in defenses that Lewandowski, CR7, Kane, Aguero, and many others create. What he does better than all of them is run run run.

cyberman

So, if our young striker were clinical in front of goal, if he wouldn’t miss those easy chances, he would be the best number 9 in Europe? Putting those chances away and being deadly in front of goal is the main job of a number 9. He is not even close to inspiring the fear in defenses that Lewandowski, CR7, Kane, Aguero, and many others create. What he does better than all of them is run run run.
I didn't say he would be better tomorrow!
He can press, stretch defences, dribble, lightening fast and play along the front line. Add in becoming a clinical striker and there isn't much more you would ask from a modern number 9.
Plus all but Kane in your list are either on the edge of decline or are going over that hill. Rashford is 21.

manunited1919

I didn't say he would be better tomorrow!
He can press, stretch defences, dribble, lightening fast and play along the front line. Add in becoming a clinical striker and there isn't much more you would ask from a modern number 9.
Plus all but Kane in your list are either on the edge of decline or are going over that hill. Rashford is 21.
All those attributes, which are great to have in a striker BTW, involve running, running, and more running. Marcus has a great engine which we all agree is great, he might be the best at running in Europe. In addition, Marcus has a lot of confidence in himself and has a good potential to be a good freekick taker, he has shown good improvement there lately. But there is much, much more to be a great number 9, such as: being clinical, appearing at the right place at the right time, good vision, good decision making, great hold up play, good header of the ball. Marcus is not amongst the elite strikers of the world in regards to any of those skills, and in some of those areas he needs a lot of work.

cyberman

All those attributes, which are great to have in a striker BTW, involve running, running, and more running. Marcus has a great engine which we all agree is great, he might be the best at running in Europe. In addition, Marcus has a lot of confidence in himself and has a good potential to be a good freekick taker, he has shown good improvement there lately. But there is much, much more to be a great number 9, such as: being clinical, appearing at the right place at the right time, good vision, good decision making, great hold up play, good header of the ball. Marcus is not amongst the elite strikers of the world in regards to any of those skills, and in some of those areas he needs a lot of work.
Its not just running. Do Liverpool's front 3 just run? Or City / Spurs when they press?
The thing about Marcus is that he does get into fantastic positions but you seem to have a very narrow minded view of what makes an elite number 9.
There are many elite strikers who weren't fantastic at holding up the play or even great at headers.
Who are the elite strikers that you would break the bank for these days? There aren't many because the attributes you are listing are becoming more and more overlooked these days.
Being in the right place at the right time means not involved in build up play, having great hold up play means holding onto the ball too long.
Football is evolving.

manunited1919

Its not just running. Do Liverpool's front 3 just run? Or City / Spurs when they press?
The thing about Marcus is that he does get into fantastic positions but you seem to have a very narrow minded view of what makes an elite number 9.
There are many elite strikers who weren't fantastic at holding up the play or even great at headers.
Who are the elite strikers that you would break the bank for these days? There aren't many because the attributes you are listing are becoming more and more overlooked these days.
Being in the right place at the right time means not involved in build up play, having great hold up play means holding onto the ball too long.
Football is evolving.
Look, I love Rashford and enjoy the way he runs and appreciate what Ole is doing with him. But I am not blinded by his becoming an effective part of Ole’s system into calling Rashford one of the elite strikers in Europe. He misses too many one on ones, and in some of the other skills he is sorely lacking and needs to develop them. Perhaps he will never become elite level, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be effective in our team. He does bring something to the team that we want.

You want me to make a list of strikers in Europe that are better than him? I already gave you four, but you seem to think some of them are declining. I will repeat them and add a few: Aguero, CR7, Lewandowski, Kane, Mbappe, Neymar, and Suarez. Rashford doesn’t have the touch, the killer instinct, the control, the vision or the football brain to be in this group. We hope he will develop it some day. But as of now, Rashford is way behind this group.

Are you sure that if Aubameyang were English, an MUFC player from our academy, you wouldn’t be saying he is the best in Europe?

kidbob

The kid has outrageous ability. Some of his play in this video is incredible. Keeping him, Martial, Pogba and De Gea is so so important to how the next few years go. Surround that core with the right players and you have a very talented team with age on their side.

Foxbatt

I think with someone like Ole he is going to improve a lot. He has blinding speed and can shoot from range too. He needs to get the tap ins and he can do it too. As Ole said it is mental and now he will start to get that right with Ole's help. He may not be the next Kane but he will be a very good CF.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really don't wanna start another "Rashford vs Martial" gripe... but reading the reactions to Martial's game vs Newcastle and seeing the lack of activity here when our HG lad just had a dreadful match just strikes me as unfair

I wonder what would have happened if martial had a game like this..
He was on the pitch for all of 28 minutes - in a game that was long won. He did nothing to set the world alight - but considering how the team were playing, and the nature of the game, to expect him to do so is pretty fanciful.

At least he got stuck in a bit - made as many tackles in 28 minutes then Pereira made all game! So yeah... your idea of "dreadful" , and the fact that you think people should be coming in here slagging him off for what was a brief, nothing performance in a nothing part of the game, is just odd.

Last edited:

Janson

Rashford has been criticised way more than Martial. At one point if you praised him in his own thread or said it's obvious he has talent you'd get jumped by the barmy Martial boys because it was one or the other in their heads.
I think that was happening more while they both were competing for the LW, when it was either or. Now it seems like that has died down a bit.

starman

Vs Top 6

Rashford 21 Games 7 Goals. Goal every 3 games
Lukaku 67 Games 20 Goals. Goal every 3.35 games
Sanchez 45 Games 12 Goals. Goal every 3.75 games
Martial 25 Games 6 Goals. Goal every 4.16 games

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He isn't good enough technically to play on the wing for where we want to go imo. He's shown this time and again. Very skillful and has the ability to create magic, but too often will feck up a touch or choose the wrong pass to be a winger. He's a 9 for me as long as he can show ability to continue being clinical, because he has excellent movement and strikes the ball really well. Plus having that skill in his locker is more useful in trying to score a goal as opposed to trying to beat a man and create a chance from wide, since it won't always come off.

All this being said, really hope he's our striker for the rest of the season. I've seen enough of Rom to know we are limited in our ceiling with him on the pitch, and Rash in a more attacking team gives us the ability to properly evaluate him, as well as allow him to continue developing at his most valuable position.
I disagree with that completely. Rashford gets bullied regularly by any defender with a bit of physicality. That's why he has joy in big games and struggles for consistency in the bread and butter games. It has to do with the profile of defenders he goes up against (top teams favour more technical defenders while lesser teams use physical defenders).

A no.9 in the modern game needs to be able to drag the team up the pitch. That is because modern tactics use one non-pressing player (usually the striker, but sometimes a wide player like Martial was under LVG). This means that the striker needs to have an all round game. His hold-up play is not good.

If Rashford gets stronger and uses his body better when back-to-goal then I'm all for him becoming a top striker. At the moment, Rashford's play back to goal is nowhere near good enough.

Mcking

Vs Top 6

Rashford 21 Games 7 Goals. Goal every 3 games
Lukaku 67 Games 20 Goals. Goal every 3.35 games
Sanchez 45 Games 12 Goals. Goal every 3.75 games
Martial 25 Games 6 Goals. Goal every 4.16 games
Rom's record doesn't look half bad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Its not until you look at recent history
And the other three were not playing as striker. Would be interesting if they considered "assist" stats too.

Anyway, there's an obvious improvement with Rashford in Ole's very short time here. He's a very positive coach/manager.

Still can't forget the Sacked One's face and body language when Rashford missed that one-on-one chance. What a fecking tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.