Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

And the other three were not playing as striker. Would be interesting if they considered "assist" stats too.

Anyway, there's an obvious improvement with Rashford in Ole's very short time here. He's a very positive coach/manager.

Still can't forget the Sacked One's face and body language when Rashford missed that one-on-one chance. What a fecking tool.
Worst thing he's ever done was make (some of) us believe that marcus wasn't good enough.

Grande

Not that I want to get into comparing Rashford and Martial but they’re both into their 4 season at Utd now.........

Rashford 148 apps, 39 goals, 23 assists

Martial 158 apps 45 goals, 28 assists

Rashford = goal or assist every 141 minutes

Martial = goal or assist every 144 minutes

Not a lot of folks would credit that I’d guess.

Got the stats from transfermarkd but on the iPad so not the best switching between screens. Either way, their output is extremely close.
If you don’t want to get into comparing Rashford and Martial, that post is really really not the way to go about it.

Classical Mechanic

If you don’t want to get into comparing Rashford and Martial, that post is really really not the way to go about it.
People were going on about not comparing them so naturally I decided to. Thing is, they both play the same positions, both have been in the first team for 4 seasons now and both have quite different narratives around their quality. Martial has been lauded as a 'future Ballon D'Or' a fair bit whereas Rashford has been called a 'Championship player' just as much. It is kind of interesting that their G+A is almost the same, to me anyway.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
People were going on about not comparing them so naturally I decided to. Thing is, they both play the same positions, both have been in the first team for 4 seasons now and both have quite different narratives around their quality. Martial has been lauded as a 'future Ballon D'Or' a fair bit whereas Rashford has been called a 'Championship player' just as much. It is kind of interesting that their G+A is almost the same, to me anyway.
It's because I think most will agree that Martial's ceiling is higher. He can do incredible stuff with the ball. To be hones they are very different type of players. I'm sure when Modric was 18 along with an 18 year old Quaresma most would have said Quresma is the future ballon d'or level player.

starman

Rom's record doesn't look half bad.
Not exactly anything to shout about especially when you compare it to the leagues other top strikers. I think it proves how more effective and threatening Rashford is against the top opposition, all the while not playing as the main striker

baskinginthesun

I disagree with that completely. Rashford gets bullied regularly by any defender with a bit of physicality. That's why he has joy in big games and struggles for consistency in the bread and butter games. It has to do with the profile of defenders he goes up against (top teams favour more technical defenders while lesser teams use physical defenders).

A no.9 in the modern game needs to be able to drag the team up the pitch. That is because modern tactics use one non-pressing player (usually the striker, but sometimes a wide player like Martial was under LVG). This means that the striker needs to have an all round game. His hold-up play is not good.

If Rashford gets stronger and uses his body better when back-to-goal then I'm all for him becoming a top striker. At the moment, Rashford's play back to goal is nowhere near good enough.
He's not exactly built well to play with his back to goal and do the hold up work. At least in the sense of him leaning into a defender. His frame doesn't look like it would support bulk in the way Lukaku's does. It may just be a trait he will never be good at.

Handré1990

I don’t get this stuff about him being bullied by defenders, we just played Cardiff, Bournemouth and Newcastle. In none of these games did he get bullied or kept quiet. If anything I’ve been impressed with how he has used his body to keep defenders behind him to link play from the ST’s position. He’s so quick he manages to get in front in a lot of situation, often drawing free kicks.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t get this stuff about him being bullied by defenders, we just played Cardiff, Bournemouth and Newcastle. In none of these games did he get bullied or kept quiet. If anything I’ve been impressed with how he has used his body to keep defenders behind him to link play from the ST’s position. He’s so quick he manages to get in front in a lot of situation, often drawing free kicks.
Because Lacelles kicked him a few times.

manunited1919

Will Rash be another Rooney, or will he be another Wellbeck?

How many players that went on to be elite level strikers (the CR7s, RVPs, RVNs, Lewandowski, etc. Yes Rooney too) would at a YOUNG AGE have had the type of miscontrol and trip over the ball that Rashford had against Reading?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

How many players that went on to be elite level strikers (the CR7s, RVPs, RVNs, Lewandowski, etc. Yes Rooney too) would at a YOUNG AGE have had the type of miscontrol and trip over the ball that Rashford had against Reading?
What sort of daft question is that? Rooney had the touch of a rapist when he was off form. And RVP constantly fecked up including a few hilarious air shots at open nets. And Ruud was a nobody in Holland. :rolleyes:

Let's rephrase the question, name a striker that never fecked up and tripped over the ball.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Is this a serious post?

If so I refer you to this

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He’s already had a much greater impact than Welbeck for both club and country. He might not become a Rooney, but he’s already well beyond Welbz.

Stadjer

I doubt he will be a Rooney... Rooney was extremly good and a special talent. His later years cloud his performances a bit but he was a really good player.

Rashford can become a good player but as good as Rooney? Or have a career like Rooney? I doubt that.

manunited1919

Is this a serious post?

If so I refer you to this

Why wouldn’t it be a serious post? I didn’t know it was forbidden in the CAF to make these kind of questions, and as far as I can tell I shouldn’t be offending anyone except for the self-appointed Rashford police. The question is one I have asked myself several times with Rashford when I see him fail to control simple balls or when he has missed easy one on ones.

I saw your video on CR7s fails, but most of those are when he was attempting to do fancy stepovers or backheels. I remember when Ronaldo played for us, and don’t have many memories of him being a player with difficulty or hesitancy in those one on ones.

manunited1919

I doubt he will be a Rooney... Rooney was extremly good and a special talent. His later years cloud his performances a bit but he was a really good player.

Rashford can become a good player but as good as Rooney? Or have a career like Rooney? I doubt that.
So somewhere in between, not as bad as Wellbeck but not as good as Rooney. Yes, that would be my opinion as well.

manunited1919

What sort of daft question is that? Rooney had the touch of a rapist when he was off form. And RVP constantly fecked up including a few hilarious air shots at open nets. And Ruud was a nobody in Holland. :rolleyes:

Let's rephrase the question, name a striker that never fecked up and tripped over the ball.
Maybe I am being too negative, but at this stage, I would put money on Rashford not ever becoming as good as peak RVP or peak RVN.

RVN was a nobody in Holland? That’s surprising.

Loublaze

ATLien

Maybe I am being too negative, but at this stage, I would put money on Rashford not ever becoming as good as peak RVP or peak RVN.

RVN was a nobody in Holland? That’s surprising.
RVN was not a nobody in the Netherlands. Don't make things up TwoSheds.

AngliaRed

“Apparently” Rashford has been told in Dubai that he is now our first choice CF now.

Obviously this is apparently, I read on twitter, but it certainly wouldn’t suprise me as OGS loves him.

Greck

“Apparently” Rashford has been told in Dubai that he is now our first choice CF now.

Obviously this is apparently, I read on twitter, but it certainly wouldn’t suprise me as OGS loves him.
Wish it was true but there's no way Ole in unequivocal terms told any player that

Mr PG

I disagree with that completely. Rashford gets bullied regularly by any defender with a bit of physicality. That's why he has joy in big games and struggles for consistency in the bread and butter games. It has to do with the profile of defenders he goes up against (top teams favour more technical defenders while lesser teams use physical defenders).

A no.9 in the modern game needs to be able to drag the team up the pitch. That is because modern tactics use one non-pressing player (usually the striker, but sometimes a wide player like Martial was under LVG). This means that the striker needs to have an all round game. His hold-up play is not good.

If Rashford gets stronger and uses his body better when back-to-goal then I'm all for him becoming a top striker. At the moment, Rashford's play back to goal is nowhere near good enough.
He’s 21 practically still a kid as his body hasn’t filled into a man’s yet. Give him time... not even mbappe is great with his back to goal. Interesting to see how mbappe would fare in the premier league which is much tougher than ligue 1.

sam147

He is improving but he needs to have a stand out season in the next two years. I dont want to see him being another 26 year Old young talent like Lingard. Next season he needs to put up consistent form. I believe he can do it. One thing that irritates me is his selfishness. He has scored from a set piece recently but that does not mean go ahead and shoot from any angle. Seems very brainless at times just shooting when he could cross. He does this at times when he goes through on goal, shoots instead of squaring it. That's something a player like Sterling has mastered, the cutback. Rashford needs to be more composed in decision making.

Foxbatt

Rashford needed to be used to his strength. His movements inside the box was good when he started playing. I think once he knows he does not have to show off he will settle down and play a team game. It is not point hoofing balls up in the air for Rashford. Just like RVP and Rooney too. He is not going to win it in the air against any CBs.
But he can play the one touch a lot better than Lukaku and he is very quick and can shoot from range. I like if he gets the assurance that he is the number 1 striker and it will make Martial relaxed and confident too that he can play on the left.

TwoSheds

RVN was not a nobody in the Netherlands. Don't make things up TwoSheds.
Van Nistelrooy at 21 was playing for Den Bosch and had scored 17 goals in 69 appearances according to Wikipedia. Sounds world class to me.

AngliaRed

Whilst we don’t have a world class RW/RF we will always be rotaing Lingard and Mata, which makes it tempting to put Rashford on the right, Lukaku up top. If we had, say Bale, we would have Martial on the left, Rashford up top then a better forward on the right.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Whilst we don’t have a world class RW/RF we will always be rotaing Lingard and Mata, which makes it tempting to put Rashford on the right, Lukaku up top. If we had, say Bale, we would have Martial on the left, Rashford up top then a better forward on the right.
It is a good point. If we had a world class attacker with great output playing on the right then it could make it easier for Rashford to be our main striker.

Loublaze

ATLien
Van Nistelrooy at 21 was playing for Den Bosch and had scored 17 goals in 69 appearances according to Wikipedia. Sounds world class to me.
Yes, and he moved to PSV where he scored 31 in 34 games. That's why United signed him. He had an ACL injury that stopped him from signing to United in 2000 but SAF kept his faith, and signed him up when he recovered. He was one of the most talked about young strikers on the rise in Europe, maybe you're too young to remember if you're relying on Wikipedia which is not even used for official research. If you're only touching on what he did at 21 specifically you didnt make it clear in the original post, it came off as a general summation of his time in Holland.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

Yes, and he moved to PSV where he scored 31 in 34 games. That's why United signed him. He had an ACL injury that stopped him from signing to United in 2000 but SAF kept his faith, and signed him up when he recovered. He was one of the most talked about young strikers on the rise in Europe, maybe you're too young to remember if you're relying on Wikipedia which is not even used for official research. If you're only touching on what he did at 21 specifically you didnt make it clear in the original post, it came off as a general summation of his time in Holland.
Why would I be comparing him to Ruud at 25 though? That's what people who make daft comments about falling over against Reading would do.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's good to see Rashford (and the rest of the team) finally having someone coach them on a personal level. It's going to be really interesting to see how Rashford develops over these next few months. If he can be more cool in the box and 1-on-1, he can become an absolute star in the league in the near future.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He’s 21 practically still a kid as his body hasn’t filled into a man’s yet. Give him time... not even mbappe is great with his back to goal. Interesting to see how mbappe would fare in the premier league which is much tougher than ligue 1.
Who isn't giving him time? I said in the exact post you quoted that he can be our main striker if he gets stronger and uses his body better.

In fact a lot are doing exactly the opposite, by acting as if he's ready to lead the line every game, usually because they 'rate' him as a striker. Basically they ignore weaknesses in his game because they want him to succeed. Rashford was struggling big time against Newcastle until we got on Lukaku to work their centre backs, allowing him more space. That's not going to be solved by playing him over and over against these big defenders, these things take time in training.

Ronaldo took time to bulk up and only when he did that was he able to be our main goal outlet. Jesse Lingard didn't grow into his frame with playing time, it took him years of work to improve his physical side. What's wrong with playing Rashford in games that suit his qualities? He can start plenty of games as striker and wide player. As he grows into his frame, he can choose which one he is better at.

Status
Not open for further replies.